Scape Goat Mitch Robinson - to retain or not to retain

Should Mitch Robinson be given a chance to 'redeem' himself!

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely would give another chance.

He is such a rough diamond it's ridiculous what his best could look like. Have a look at his numbers for the year despite all of his issues on and off the field. They are comparable to some of our best players, and are miles ahead of all of the fringe players.

Even if he is taken and spends half the year in the seconds working his way back in it helps the younger guys understand what it is about to earn their spot in the side.

Suggestions that he is not best 22 are ridiculous, there are many on the list who the jury are still out on.

Absolutely would give another chance.

He is such a rough diamond it's ridiculous what his best could look like. Have a look at his numbers for the year despite all of his issues on and off the field. They are comparable to some of our best players, and are miles ahead of all of the fringe players.

Even if he is taken and spends half the year in the seconds working his way back in it helps the younger guys understand what it is about to earn their spot in the side.

Suggestions that he is not best 22 are ridiculous, there are many on the list who the jury are still out on.
Send him to the Tigers as any club would take him in a heart beat . Heard Hodge has been into big time to get him to the Hawks .He may be a tool but every club has them as all club lists are made up with different personalities .

Send him to the Tigers as any club would take him in a heart beat . Heard Hodge has been into big time to get him to the Hawks .He may be a tool but every club has them as all club lists are made up with different personalities .

Can you name me the equivalent player at the Hawks that has lied to the club and potentially lost the trust of the playing group and staff?

Since Hawks have the last pick of the round, do you think they might have traded for him if they wanted him?

On top of that, we don't have the culture of a Hawks/Cats at the moment.. We're building towards it.

Can you name me the equivalent player at the Hawks that has lied to the club and potentially lost the trust of the playing group and staff?

Since Hawks have the last pick of the round, do you think they might have traded for him if they wanted him?

On top of that, we don't have the culture of a Hawks/Cats at the moment.. We're building towards it.
Buddy always had a minder when out on the town . Hawks are smart and will grab Robinson once he's delisted ,no need to trade for him .

In a heart beat... as long as they don't have to trade anything for him apparently. ;)

Buddy always had a minder when out on the town . Hawks are smart and will grab Robinson once he's delisted ,no need to trade for him .

Was he ever pulled up for lying to the club? Lie to the coach? I can't remember for sure, but I don't think so (not in an incident that was made public anyway) .. Though I know he got up to some serious s**t .. They were smart. I don't know how they managed it actually. Must have had something to do with the overall strength of the playing list, in terms of leadership etc ... We don't have that really strong leadership group yet...

I actually voted for Robbo to stay, never once have i said in that paragraph that 'I' want him gone... and Nor have i made any reference to Judd and what he has supposedly said about Robbo... i was simply stating that. FOR THE FUTURE.. the coaching staff 'may' see Holman as a more polished version of Robbo. Robbo wasn't working miracles in his first year either... Take it to heart next time ffs...
Fair enough - I was tired and grumpy after ready so much negativity against Robbo and I obviously misread your post took it out of context.
Full apologies and comment withdrawn.

It's not that I don't care, it's that I don't know that the leadership group has booted him out for a fact.
Unless something is announced or someone I know from the club tells me, then I take it with a grain of salt.

Pretty much this. Opinions are formed on what we know. As long as our default position is that we trust the club to know all the facts and do what is necessary, all is good.

If the playing group does not want to give Robinson another chance .... see ya Robbo. One negative influence can ruin a season. If there are more incidents we don't know about and he has burned all his chances .... see ya Robbo.

If the on field suspensions, the Big Day out incident and the incident with Jeffy are the sole reasons and the players have not made any demands, he is worth saving.

Support until your reasons for supporting are removed. Then accept and move on.

Last edited:
In a heart beat... as long as they don't have to trade anything for him apparently. ;)

Why would you trade for a player when his club has made it known that he will be delisted if a trade can't be organised?

If we delist him any club can pick him up for contract price only as a DFA. They don't have to take their chances in the PSD.

I, for one, will be very disappointed if he goes to Hawthorn (in particular) for nothing.

I haven't read any of the thread but I'll just drop my opinion here.

I don't care whether you're Mitch Robinson or Chris Judd. Players do not lie to the club about incidents as he did. The club is far greater than Mitch Robinson.

I appreciate Robbo the footballer but I don't want to see him back. There are certain lines that should never be crossed and unfortunately he crossed one.

Spot on.

And I'd be more than happy to take him at essendon. Then again, he is a relative of mine, so I'm a bit bias.
That makes sense and he would be a good fit at Essendone*. You don't seem too bothered what players do 'off the field' at Windy Hill.

Although you guys expect what they do down there off field DOES effect their on field performance.

Robbo could adjust in an infraction of the time it normally would take.

Number17 why would you want to send one of our players to Essendon.

With Robbo maybe he lied to the club to protect Garlett one of his closest mates but it backfired. At least Garlett didin't lie. For me I don't care one way or the other as I am still gutted that Jeffrey or the club decided that he needed a fresh start at another club.

This is going to be long off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That makes sense and he would be a good fit at Essendone*. You don't seem too bothered what players do 'off the field' at Windy Hill.

Although you guys expect what they do down there off field DOES effect their on field performance.

Robbo could adjust in an infraction of the time it normally would take.
That's not very nice mate

I haven't read any of the thread but I'll just drop my opinion here.

I don't care whether you're Mitch Robinson or Chris Judd. Players do not lie to the club about incidents as he did. The club is far greater than Mitch Robinson.

I appreciate Robbo the footballer but I don't want to see him back. There are certain lines that should never be crossed and unfortunately he crossed one.

Yeah, it's like the time I broke a lamp. I knew I would be grounded for playing football inside the house and not be allowed to go to the footy. So I blamed the cat and my parents gave the cat away. Then my sister told them she saw me do it. My parents drove me out to the forest and left me there, where I was raised by wolves.

They did the right thing. The truth should never be a casualty of war ... wait. Let those without sin cast the first stone ... wait, no that's not right either.

Phew ... at least we delisted Scotland immediately after we found out that Fireman Heath hadn't been completely honest about his level of involvement in a bar fight.

Let's face it, a lie when you know your career is on the line is not the biggest issue here aside from a loss of face for the club that didn't eventuate since everybody knows it was Robbo's fault for lying. It's the fact he was out and got injured whilst suspended yet again.

Chris Judd isn't the lying kind, but if he was .... he wouldn't be sacked for it. I trust the club to do what needs to be done, but I recognise that part of Robbo's issue is that he is dispensable talent wise. I'll forego the sermonising about his crimes accordingly.

Btw, that story .... not true. It was a cricket ball. Please don't sack me. :D

Yeah, it's like the time I broke a lamp. I knew I would be grounded for playing football inside the house and not be allowed to go to the footy. So I blamed the cat and my parents gave the cat away. Then my sister told them she saw me do it. My parents drove me out to the forest and left me there, where I was raised by wolves.

They did the right thing. The truth should never be a casualty of war ... wait. Let those without sin cast the first stone ... wait, no that's not right either.

Phew ... at least we delisted Scotland immediately after we found out that Fireman Heath hadn't been completely honest about his level of involvement in a bar fight.

Let's face it, a lie when you know your career is on the line is not the biggest issue here aside from a loss of face for the club that didn't eventuate since everybody knows it was Robbo's fault for lying. It's the fact he was out and got injured whilst suspended yet again.

Chris Judd isn't the lying kind, but if he was .... he wouldn't be sacked for it. I trust the club to do what needs to be done, but I recognise that part of Robbo's issue is that he is dispensable talent wise. I'll forego the sermonising about his crimes accordingly.

Btw, that story .... not true. It was a cricket ball. Please don't sack me. :D
Just my opinion mate.

Was Mick at the club when Scotto had his altercation?

Robbo is still best 22. He isn't getting sacked because he can't play.

Just my opinion mate.

Was Mick at the club when Scotto had his altercation?

Robbo is still best 22. He isn't getting sacked because he can't play.

No, but he was at Collingwood when Didak and Shaw did far worse. Let's not pretend that Mick is the last bastion of morality.

The point is that being dispensable makes it easier to demonise these acts. Immature Robbo thought he would be sacked if he told the truth so he lied. The same guy thought he would be traded for not knowing the ruck rules in the 2013 elimination final. Not a good look to lie, it does him and the club a disservice, but it was a reflex action because he was fearing for his job.

Do we think he'd be retained if he came clean straight away? He was already on thin ice.

No, but he was at Collingwood when Didak and Shaw did far worse. Let's not pretend that Mick is the last bastion of morality.

The point is that being dispensable makes it easier to demonise these acts. Immature Robbo thought he would be sacked if he told the truth so he lied. The same guy thought he would be traded for not knowing the ruck rules in the 2013 elimination final. Not a good look to lie, it does him and the club a disservice, but it was a reflex action because he was fearing for his job.

Do we think he'd be retained if he came clean straight away? He was already on thin ice.
Just to confirm, it's not as bad to lie as long as you're fearing for your job?

I genuinely do believe he would have been retained. How stupid did he make our club look by doing what he did?

I appreciate your point RE Malthouse.

Regardless, I don't want that kind of s**t at the club. Be it Robbo, Cameron Wood, Bryce Gibbs etc etc.

At the end of the day it's a privilege, not a right to be playing for Carlton. It's about time players like Robbo realised this.

So are criminals.

Simon White handled his incident a thousand times better than Robbo and he has a bigger reason to be worried about his job.

I cannot believe we're defending him lying to the club about this.

Carlton > Mitch Robinson.

I don't understand what relevance "so are criminals" has to this discussion.

Mitch made a mistake. From all accounts he's working hard to redeem himself. If the club deems that his efforts aren't enough, then I'll support that. I'm not going to crucify the bloke for making an error of judgement. He's not the first person to do it and he won't be the last.

Mitch made a mistake. From all accounts he's working hard to redeem himself. If the club deems that his efforts aren't enough, then I'll support that. I'm not going to crucify the bloke for making an error of judgement. He's not the first person to do it and he won't be the last.
They are humans that made a mistake as you suggested above. Different kinds of mistakes but it's the same point.

Who's crucifying anyone?

It's rather simple. He lied to the club about an incident he shouldn't have. In my opinion, he shouldn't be on the list. This isn't about the incident, it's the fact he lied and made the club look stupid.

That comment was made in response to some suggesting that he made an error but should be forgiven because "he's only human".

Criminals are humans too yet that doesn't exonerate them from the responsibility of committing a crime, nor should it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back