Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Now Starts A Long Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we all agree that we need more turnover of our list but it's getting embarrassing now. Listed below are numbers of players moved out via delist/retire/trade of various teams. We are at 4. At best we may get to 6 or 7 if Wilson/Carter/Tunners go, but that's still behind most of the league.

Adelaide – 9
Brisbane – 12
Carlton – 9
Pies – 9
Cats – 10
GC – 9
GWS – 8
Hawks – 8
Tigers – 9
Saints – 8
Swans – 7
Dogs - 9

That's just plain embarrassing.

Any chance of Powell being cut? Most clubs will cut a rookie or two, we only gave mascoulis one year and Sinclair and Newman are safe and Maginness should be

This is why we shouldn't pick cockatoo, i see the flight risk with him is far greater

I don't.

W.A weather is much better and similar to N.T weather than he will find in Vic, NSW or S.A

The state is much quieter too, similar to home.

Plus not that it should matter but if it does to him we have a rich history of indigenous players at our club.

Not to mention Muzza, Hill, Bennell and Wellingham currently on the list.

Go home factor is a load of bollocks.

Since 2001 we have drafted plenty of interstate players

we have retained.....

Waters
Hurn
Scofield
Butler
Rosa
Gaff
Shuey
Selwood
Lycett
Brown

& lost

Stevens
Ebert
Judd
Staker

Keep in mind that Staker didn't actually go home.

I'm sure there might be a few more i'm missing but you get my point.

Very few leave because of "Homesickness"

It's never really been a problem for us. Once we get them over we normally do a bang up job of making them feel at home.

I don't.

W.A weather is much better and similar to N.T weather than he will find in Vic, NSW or S.A

The state is much quieter too, similar to home.

Plus not that it should matter but if it does to him we have a rich history of indigenous players at our club.

Not to mention Muzza, Hill, Bennell and Wellingham currently on the list.

Go home factor is a load of bollocks.

Since 2001 we have drafted plenty of interstate players

we have retained.....

Waters
Hurn
Scofield
Butler
Rosa
Gaff
Shuey
Selwood
Lycett
Brown

& lost

Stevens
Ebert
Judd

I'm sure there might be a few more i'm missing but you get my point.

Very few leave because of "Homesickness"

It's never really been a problem for us. Once we get them over we normally do a bang up job of making them feel at home.

Foghorn-Leghorn-Thats-a-joke-son-You-missed-it-Flew-right-by-ya.jpg

I know we all agree that we need more turnover of our list but it's getting embarrassing now. Listed below are numbers of players moved out via delist/retire/trade of various teams. We are at 4. At best we may get to 6 or 7 if Wilson/Carter/Tunners go, but that's still behind most of the league.

Adelaide – 9
Brisbane – 12
Carlton – 9
Pies – 9
Cats – 10
GC – 9
GWS – 8
Hawks – 8
Tigers – 9
Saints – 8
Swans – 7
Dogs - 9

I agree that we should have cut deeper but a lot of those numbers include rookie list deletions so the expected 6 senior list delistings I expect we'll make isn't that much different to other clubs.

Still should have been more like 7 or 8 than 6 though

vncrtzvgd.png

Joel Hamling delisted by Geelong. Another guy to consider for a rookie list spot.

Masto he isn't worth considering . He is a step or two down from Fraser McInnes . I watched a bit of him at Claremont and I was surprised that he was drafted. He would have needed to improve big time for a consideration .....And if he had improved at Geelong then I would be sceptical given that he has been cut from the Cattery.
Besides he is a Claremont player and we all know how much you detest the Claremont connection .

I agree that we should have cut deeper but a lot of those numbers include rookie list deletions so the expected 6 senior list delistings I expect we'll make isn't that much different to other clubs.

Still should have been more like 7 or 8 than 6 though

vncrtzvgd.png

Not sure the culling has stopped. The 3 in question have not been offered contract extensions and I expect at least 2 to go.

Having an uncompromised draft and a good earlier pick with lots of options brings about much anticipation and hope. So who will we get? The Giants choice at 7 will be the decider for me.

There are 6 draftees looking hot - 3 mids in Petrecca/Brayshaw/Laverde and 3 talls in McCartin/Wright/Lever that are looking odds on to be the first 6. Moore is set at 9.

So what will the Giants do with pick 7?

With the departure of Boyd, the injury cloud on Patton and the speculation on Cameron returning to Melbourne, will they have banked another KPP knowing they have great currency? Hell they picked up an AA club captain in Griffin plus an excellent early pick so they know it works. Under that scenario they may be tempted with a Durdin or stretch to a Goddard or Marchbank. KPD is looking their weakness looking at their line-up.

If they go mid – then the door is open. Callum Twomey might be a wet blanket but he does have access to the recruiters at the clubs and as such is good at reporting his draft based on where they are going. Not sure he has much ability in picking talent.

Assuming Giants go tall, that leaves the Suns at 8 with a choice of quality mids (as if they needed more). Weller – they delisted his brother but have they seen enough of younger brother to know he is worth it and is the Qld factor enough? Pickett – they interviewed him but do they have enough with some real quality outside mids. Someone else?

Geelong – what was driving their promotion in the pecking order? Was it Pickett ahead of the 2 WA clubs? Was it Durdin or Goddard ahead of Fremantle? Or was it that Adelaide under-valued their pick?

Pick 11 - Ahern, Duggan, Weller, Pickett, etc. We will have a great selection of mids to pick from. Possibly a tall but we do not really need one.

Someone stated earlier there is usually a smokey in the top 10. Would we take it with a Cockatoo? Possibly over-reaching but he does look to offer a point of difference and it may be worth a punt. The last time we had an early pick with this sort of debate was in 2009 and we took a safe bet in Shepperd at 7 while Lewis Jetta at 14 was debated as paying overs. Oh, from memory the board was pretty hot on Lucas at that point!

Masto he isn't worth considering . He is a step or two down from Fraser McInnes . I watched a bit of him at Claremont and I was surprised that he was drafted. He would have needed to improve big time for a consideration .....And if he had improved at Geelong then I would be sceptical given that he has been cut from the Cattery.
Besides he is a Claremont player and we all know how much you detest the Claremont connection .

Well we have had far more busts from Claremont than any other club, which suggests a bias towards Claremont players, does it not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamling was Geelongs version of Notte - good skills but too lightly framed to be a KPP at AFL level and couldn't put on weight.

With Geelong delisting KPP projects in Hamling and Brown it gives me hope they might take a tall with pick 10 instead of a mid

Hamling was Geelongs version of Notte - good skills but too lightly framed to be a KPP at AFL level and couldn't put on weight.

With Geelong delisting KPP projects in Hamling and Brown it gives me hope they might take a tall with pick 10 instead of a mid
Hamling's notte that bad.

Any chance of Powell being cut? Most clubs will cut a rookie or two, we only gave mascoulis one year and Sinclair and Newman are safe and Maginness should be

Doubt it, genuine project player who they seem to rate.

We have a pretty strong set of rookies with a good hit rate in recent years.

Pickett is exactly what we need, problem is so do most other clubs really needs to start the I only want to play at WC so the rest piss off.

Having an uncompromised draft and a good earlier pick with lots of options brings about much anticipation and hope. So who will we get? The Giants choice at 7 will be the decider for me.

There are 6 draftees looking hot - 3 mids in Petrecca/Brayshaw/Laverde and 3 talls in McCartin/Wright/Lever that are looking odds on to be the first 6. Moore is set at 9.

So what will the Giants do with pick 7?

With the departure of Boyd, the injury cloud on Patton and the speculation on Cameron returning to Melbourne, will they have banked another KPP knowing they have great currency? Hell they picked up an AA club captain in Griffin plus an excellent early pick so they know it works. Under that scenario they may be tempted with a Durdin or stretch to a Goddard or Marchbank. KPD is looking their weakness looking at their line-up.

If they go mid – then the door is open. Callum Twomey might be a wet blanket but he does have access to the recruiters at the clubs and as such is good at reporting his draft based on where they are going. Not sure he has much ability in picking talent.

Assuming Giants go tall, that leaves the Suns at 8 with a choice of quality mids (as if they needed more). Weller – they delisted his brother but have they seen enough of younger brother to know he is worth it and is the Qld factor enough? Pickett – they interviewed him but do they have enough with some real quality outside mids. Someone else?

Geelong – what was driving their promotion in the pecking order? Was it Pickett ahead of the 2 WA clubs? Was it Durdin or Goddard ahead of Fremantle? Or was it that Adelaide under-valued their pick?

Pick 11 - Ahern, Duggan, Weller, Pickett, etc. We will have a great selection of mids to pick from. Possibly a tall but we do not really need one.

Someone stated earlier there is usually a smokey in the top 10. Would we take it with a Cockatoo? Possibly over-reaching but he does look to offer a point of difference and it may be worth a punt. The last time we had an early pick with this sort of debate was in 2009 and we took a safe bet in Shepperd at 7 while Lewis Jetta at 14 was debated as paying overs. Oh, from memory the board was pretty hot on Lucas at that point!

Ok - what if hypothetically St Kilda take McCartin with their No.1 pick - does that mean Melb take both Brayshaw and Petracca or do they still go 1 tall and 1 small. Obviously only the latter shakes up the picks from no.4 on.

Ok - what if hypothetically St Kilda take McCartin with their No.1 pick - does that mean Melb take both Brayshaw and Petracca or do they still go 1 tall and 1 small. Obviously only the latter shakes up the picks from no.4 on.
If Saints were keen on taking anyone other than Petracca they would have traded 1 you'd have thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back