Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Now Starts A Long Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

omarlittle1

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
The more I think about it the more I feel we should draft Gartlett/Pickett with our first rounder. They both add the thing we are most desperate for, speed, line breaking ability and high level skills. We then go for best available mid (preferably big bodied and skilled) in the second round and waterman in the third.

I feel that would be a very strong draft for us. If we grew some balls and traded for either an established midfielder from another club or for another first rounder we could draft an Ahern or Laverde and well as Gartlett/Pickett. I think this would go a long way to improving us. May be a year of development again with the relatively young age of our list. But if we finished 8-6 next year we could really be primed for an assault on the flag in 2016.

Is it just me or are others also concerned with our drafting when we seemingly have a 'largish' number of players in EP reserves?

From memory Karps, MacGuiness (early on), Main, Powell, Barrass and anyone else I have forgotten

Are we reaching too far, can't pick talent, not developing etc etc.

If we are drafting well I would expect, as minimum, players would be in EP league team.

Is it just me or are others also concerned with our drafting when we seemingly have a 'largish' number of players in EP reserves?

From memory Karps, MacGuiness (early on), Main, Powell, Barrass and anyone else I have forgotten

If we are drafting well I would expect, as minimum, players would be in EP league team.
That is one negative with the alignment imo, as given the number of players on our list and the types of players they are, it can be difficult to squeeze them all into the same side.

I would be interested in the opinions of those more knowledgeable about the WAFL whether those players would be getting a run in the seniors at other clubs?

That is one negative with the alignment imo, as given the number of players on our list and the types of players they are, it can be difficult to squeeze them all into the same side.

I would be interested in the opinions of those more knowledgeable about the WAFL whether those players would be getting a run in the seniors at other clubs?

It's a good point. However they can be rotated through and its my belief that young players play too many games anyway. Rookies don't need to play 22 games IMO.

We've just picked some genuine project players.

I think there's a fair bit of upside with Main, Maginness and Powell. Karpany seems to have his fans too. They'll be ok.

Don't know why we gave up that pick but would we have taken him anyway? Would still rather Yeo than Taylor.

With our next pick we chose a short, fast agile half forward cum forward pocket in Malcolm Karpany

Taylor was the highest rated in this space before the draft and many thought he would go a lot higher.

We gave up that pick 28 when we held all the aces.

With our next pick we chose a short, fast agile half forward cum forward pocket in Malcolm Karpany

Taylor was the highest rated in this space before the draft and many thought he would go a lot higher.

We gave up that pick 28 when we held all the aces.

Yep.. meant for Taylor that pick I rekon unfortunately we caved in and gave Brisbane the player we wanted and the kid who would of won the bloody rising star!! ffs.. that pisses me off.

We didn't even get a bloke a nomination this year did we?

Yep.. meant for Taylor that pick I rekon unfortunately we caved in and gave Brisbane the player we wanted and the kid who would of won the bloody rising star!! ffs.. that pisses me off.

We didn't even get a bloke a nomination this year did we?
No we didnt get any noms this year. Sheed, Carter and Colledge were the only guys eligible for a nomination.

Sorry to intrude, but we have the opposite problem. East Perth seem to have retained a good core of non-WC listed players who are actually good at WAFL league level. Peel have maybe 3 (Jones, Brown, Dann) - which means they're relying on the Freo listed players to perform well consistently, which is a difficult ask when there are a lot of 1st/2nd year players and they don't train with the Peel players and coach. It also makes Peel an overly tall side (as a consequence of jamming everyone into the league team) and adds the problem where you might have 2 players held off for half the game as emergencies for Freo. I'd rather an EP situation than a Peel situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who hasn't peppered our angus at the trade table yet? Can't wait to see how badly we blow this years trade and draft.

St Kilda didn't, otherwise Mitch Brown would be playing for them right now.

We also got Cripps for cheaper than what they were asking.

Adding kilo's won't help him defend taller forwards and he's already too slow to defend the smaller players. Great kick, but he's a tweener, never going to be an AFL level player.

Not saying Wilson will make it, but "tweeners" are clearly used at most clubs. Sutcliffe, Duffield at Freo are not over blessed with pace and Duffield in particular provides the release for Freo by heading into space and getting a lot of uncontested possession. Wilson may lack the footy smarts to find this space at the right time, but if he does develop this skill his kicking would make him useful.

I am thinking he won't be delisted just yet.

The more I think about it the more I feel we should draft Gartlett/Pickett with our first rounder. They both add the thing we are most desperate for, speed, line breaking ability and high level skills. We then go for best available mid (preferably big bodied and skilled) in the second round and waterman in the third.

I feel that would be a very strong draft for us. If we grew some balls and traded for either an established midfielder from another club or for another first rounder we could draft an Ahern or Laverde and well as Gartlett/Pickett. I think this would go a long way to improving us. May be a year of development again with the relatively young age of our list. But if we finished 8-6 next year we could really be primed for an assault on the flag in 2016.
Its all well and good saying we need to trade for another top 10 pick but what exactly do have us us trading for that pick. You have us keeping our original 1st round picl so unless you're putting Naitanui, Gaff, Shuey, Darllng or McGovern on the table, we're not going near a top 10 pick

Not saying Wilson will make it, but "tweeners" are clearly used at most clubs. Sutcliffe, Duffield at Freo are not over blessed with pace and Duffield in particular provides the release for Freo by heading into space and getting a lot of uncontested possession. Wilson may lack the footy smarts to find this space at the right time, but if he does develop this skill his kicking would make him useful.

Wilson is also slow . Duffield is not he can keep up on a lead .

wilson seems to have stagnated over the last couple of seasons. very solid at wafl level (from all reports) and acceptable depth player at afl level. my issue is that we already have better depth for both kpd (emac, brown, mcgovern, schofield, mcinnes?) and hbf (ellis, yeo, waters, butler, shep, hurn) plus powell and barrass in the creche. why keep him on?

i'd be more inclined to use the list space to develop in an area of need, even a 4th ruck, or aim to land a gem with a late pick, psd or mature age recruit.

Its all well and good saying we need to trade for another top 10 pick but what exactly do have us us trading for that pick. You have us keeping our original 1st round picl so unless you're putting Naitanui, Gaff, Shuey, Darllng or McGovern on the table, we're not going near a top 10 pick

Personally I would put Selwood on the table. I know this is never going to happen but you asked for an example and that's what I'd do. Even with out the extra first round pick or trade I still think going for Pickett/Gartlett with our first would be beneficial and go best available second round (ideally a mid) and waterman third. Would be a very strong draft for us.
Also what are people's thoughts on going for Griffen from WB? Would help us immeasurably and is a free agent.

Personally I would put Selwood on the table. I know this is never going to happen but you asked for an example and that's what I'd do. Even with out the extra first round pick or trade I still think going for Pickett/Gartlett with our first would be beneficial and go best available second round (ideally a mid) and waterman third. Would be a very strong draft for us.
Also what are people's thoughts on going for Griffen from WB? Would help us immeasurably and is a free agent.

He's also their captain...
Would be perfect for us but can't see it happening.

He's also their captain...
Rebecca+Twigley+2010+Brownlow+Medal+MOV863H0RCvl.jpg

Should be shopped around -

Selwood - Can't stress this enough. He'd have to be in contention to be the most expendable player on our list
Schofield - Will be pushed out again next year if we have a healthy list.
Priddis - I know it's unlikely, but he's 30 ffs and has fans from other clubs 'apparently'
Lecras - Is a star but he would fetch a pretty price and he's playing 2nd fiddle these days to all our other forwards, so i think we'd recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back