List Mgmt. Simpson Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the club is falling into the trap of drafting guys on "potential" not current condition / fit for the game.

We're taking way too many punts and taking guys above their level because we think our drafting is really good. Its the classic Hill vs Rich selection we took. We've been taking too many Hills and not enough Richs. Pitt, Simpson, Apeness - all three of those guys were very big risks for a 1st round pick.

Aside from Fyfe we've actually got a pretty average record at drafting.

I will agree with you in relation to our recent efforts in the first round (albeit late first round picks) but the club has been excellent with mid and late picks and absolutley leads the pack in Rookie picks (over a long period).

The funny thing is the later picks and the 'last' picks should have been harder than our first picks - go figure!!

I think the club is falling into the trap of drafting guys on "potential" not current condition / fit for the game.

We're taking way too many punts and taking guys above their level because we think our drafting is really good. Its the classic Hill vs Rich selection we took. We've been taking too many Hills and not enough Richs. Pitt, Simpson, Apeness - all three of those guys were very big risks for a 1st round pick.

I don't really mind us using our first rounders for the guy we reckon has the highest "ceiling", just because we haven't nailed many shouldn't deter us from going that route IMO.

As we've shown you can still get legitimate AFL players with later picks as well as target needs, if you elect to "go safe" with first rounders you start to see trends like West Coast's recent drafting, yeah the player you pick is more likely to be a 150-200 gamer but I personally don't want to see first rounders wasted on vanilla.

I'm also interested to know why you see Apeness as as big a "risk" as Simpson and Pitt, safest first rounder we've spent in years I reckon.

Yes he did as a spare player across the half back line. Had no impact on the game. He was barely noticed at wafl level. Check his stats and club write up.

3 shots at goal is pretty impressive from the half back line

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2013-03-21/wafl-watch-round-1
Jayden Pitt (PT) 26 disposals (20 kicks, 6 handballs) 8 marks
It was an excellent performance from Jayden playing as a winger and high forward. He ran with some real purpose, got in the line of play and played with a good mix of contested ball and outside spread. He ran hard for four quarters in tough conditions and his effort was what we come to expect of an AFL footballer.

I watched all his highlights as soon as he was drafted. His playing style showed none of the things that get you excited about a draftee. No game breaking pace or leap, no ability to read the ball in flight, no appetite for the contest, and no volume of possession that showed he had game smarts. I thought his best would be something like Mundy, Johnson, or Ibbotson - a creative player from the half back that is handy in the end but a frustrating curve of development. And certainly not a goal kicker, which it was obvious Freo needed and still needs.

In write ups he had elite kicking skills and good decision making, but at AFL level that was absent. I understood the Simpson drafting decision, never understood the Pitt one.

Fyfe and to a lesser extent Barlow cover up a lot of misses.

Barlow was sheer luck. If we (or any other club) had an inkling that he was going to be half the player he's turned out to be then we would have picked him in the national draft and not risked him falling to the rookie draft.

Walters was good drafting if you want a 2nd example of it.

You have quoted 1 WAFL game how bout the dozen other he did barely anything.

You're missing the point, I wasn't trying to say he was a gun, I was just saying he was improving and therefore it's impossible to tell where that improvement would stop and how good he could have been.

My last post was just to point out the mistakes you made.

Barlow was sheer luck. If we (or any other club) had an inkling that he was going to be half the player he's turned out to be then we would have picked him in the national draft and not risked him falling to the rookie draft.

Walters was about the pick where you would take a guy like Simpson. High ceiling but potential issues. Not first round.

and yeah Barlow was a total fluke.

I'm also interested to know why you see Apeness as as big a "risk" as Simpson and Pitt, safest first rounder we've spent in years I reckon.

i didn't seem him in the draft profiles and phantom drafts very often, which is why Apeness is a bit of a risk. He seems to be alright though.

Pitt i'm not sure what his ceiling was, never seemed particularily high. was just a shit pick. but then that draft wasn't great and i'm not on the "darling train" some people seem to be on. Darling is a poor man's Ash Hansen.

My point is the luck of Barlow covers up the fact that the 2010 draft was a write off.

Walters is a success but took a hell of a lot of work to get where he is today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played in a grand final a year ago and have played in a finals series for three consecutive years.
We must be doing something right.
We were also coming off a very low base as far as talent goes and as recently as four years ago, we were being coached by a lunatic.

ItS frustrating that a first round pick turned out like that. I guess you gotta cut your losses and move on.

You have quoted 1 WAFL game how bout the dozen other he did barely anything.
Wait, didn't you specifically say that in that last game he played he had an average write up after wracking up touches playing loose across half back? Lets check:
Yes he did as a spare player across the half back line. Had no impact on the game. He was barely noticed at wafl level. Check his stats and club write up.
Some shows you that you were wrong, but instead of putting your hand up and admitting you were wrong, you could have even said the usual nonsense people use when caught out like you 'stand by your opinion despite this', but no: You just whine about it. You are a bellend.

We have had to delist 1 player this year, and the club has struggled with that, eventually going with Simpson in a clearly reluctant decision. The club is obviously confident in the list.

Wait, didn't you specifically say that in that last game he played he had an average write up after wracking up touches playing loose across half back? Lets check:

Some shows you that you were wrong, but instead of putting your hand up and admitting you were wrong, you could have even said the usual nonsense people use when caught out like you 'stand by your opinion despite this', but no: You just whine about it. You are a bellend.

No you misunderstood what I said bellend. I said he had played average games at wafl level which he did. I also said his last game at afl level despite getting a fair bit of the ball he picked up a lot of his possies across half back.

Yes I made a mistake there as I should have said the last game of the season at AFL level under Mark Harvey. Anyway if you believe he was playing good football at wafl level that's fine but I disagree.

Really sad for Simpson.

I get the impression from the outside that they compared him with Duffy - both talented but troubled players, looked and thought Duffy has been working his backside off with the knowledge that there are no guarantees (that is all an assumption), and hence is probably the less fragile of the two.

Really sad for Simpson.

I get the impression from the outside that they compared him with Duffy - both talented but troubled players, looked and thought Duffy has been working his backside off with the knowledge that there are no guarantees (that is all an assumption), and hence is probably the less fragile of the two.

Agree.

Duffy, seen to be working his ass off. Big tick in Bond's book.

Simpson, spitting the dummy and then struggling to pick it back up.

I watched all his highlights as soon as he was drafted. His playing style showed none of the things that get you excited about a draftee. No game breaking pace or leap, no ability to read the ball in flight, no appetite for the contest, and no volume of possession that showed he had game smarts. I thought his best would be something like Mundy, Johnson, or Ibbotson - a creative player from the half back that is handy in the end but a frustrating curve of development. And certainly not a goal kicker, which it was obvious Freo needed and still needs.

In write ups he had elite kicking skills and good decision making, but at AFL level that was absent. I understood the Simpson drafting decision, never understood the Pitt one.
Pitt showed nothing but "ehhh" in his AFL games. It's a convenient excuse he has a heart condition because, otherwise, I think he would've been on the delisting table by now. As you said, no killer attribute or two or three to warrant the high selection and nowhere near rounded enough to even be a genuine 22-er. Never saw him as a great white hope or a great footballer.

People just bring up Barlow, Sutcliffe, Neale, and Fyfe. But it's not like Fyfe was taken at 77 – plenty of players way better than Fyfe have been taken way higher. It was just after the first round. And when you look at the guys Freo has pulled over as mature agers, like Sylvia, you have to seriously wonder as to how and why Freo's list managers and recruiters are regarded decently in the AFL and well by supporters. It has been very, very mediocre. I still think Hill is piss poor for a number three or four selection. Does nowhere near enough.

Pitt showed nothing but "ehhh" in his AFL games. It's a convenient excuse he has a heart condition because, otherwise, I think he would've been on the delisting table by now. As you said, no killer attribute or two or three to warrant the high selection and nowhere near rounded enough to even be a genuine 22-er. Never saw him as a great white hope or a great footballer.

People just bring up Barlow, Sutcliffe, Neale, and Fyfe. But it's not like Fyfe was taken at 77 – plenty of players way better than Fyfe have been taken way higher. It was just after the first round. And when you look at the guys Freo has pulled over as mature agers, like Sylvia, you have to seriously wonder as to how and why Freo's list managers and recruiters are regarded decently in the AFL and well by supporters. It has been very, very mediocre. I still think Hill is piss poor for a number three or four selection. Does nowhere near enough.
Sorry, there aren't plenty of players way better than Fyfe. You can probably count them on one hand.

Also, as someone else said, 3 finals in a row and a GF last season is a long way from "very, very mediocre". If that is the standard then I'm going to need a few pages to list all the very's to describe Melbourne or West Coast.

Not that I disagree with the premise of what you're saying Silent Alarm but not sure about "plenty of players way better than Fyfe taken way higher".

Pitt's first goal in AFL was all class and it's not like Mundy had that killer instinct you talked about in his first few years (can easily argue he still lacks it) either and I saw them as pretty comparable from the limited I saw of Pitt. It's hard to make a case that he would have been anything more than a solid contributor though, the "best skills in the draft" was an outright lie from the club.

Your Hill comment is what I've come to expect from you though, won't touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back