List Mgmt. Simpson Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this thread people romanticise living in poverty in a remote aboriginal community because it makes them feel comfortable with what is, in reality, an absolutely horrible situation.

In this thread people romanticise living in poverty in a remote aboriginal community because it makes them feel comfortable with what is, in reality, an absolutely horrible situation.

No one is saying that living in a remote community is a picnic. But, I think is respectful to acknowledge that some people choose to live in those communites instead of living in the city. You may not understand their reasons, but at least acknowledge that they make that choice for their own reasons.

No one is saying that living in a remote community is a picnic.

Yes, they are.

For example, this utter bunch of shite:

So the inverse is cool?

Crippling mortgages, processed food, taxes, being part of a governmental system that can disenfranchise you, cars, buying fuel, getting angry at expensive coffee, obesity, Grant Denyer, Channel 7, Karl Stefanovic, the West Coast Eagles... these are all things we should embrace and like? And living a simpler life is somehow dumb or uneducated or not cool?

At the base of it, Josh comes from a community where they care about each other and the land. That is it. The land binds them, and they are a part of their environment. The two things co-exist and mean something. That's why they don't give a s**t about contracts, shiny cars, or whatever else. Because it is superfluous – just like how it should be superfluous to our lives.

Traditional Aboriginal life is so enviable. I'm far too white and uptight and neurotic and angry to be that way, but I wish I could be.

Dude it's not shite at all. Hundreds of years ago, hundreds, these people maintained that lifestyle – literally. And it was not a lifestyle of illness and squalor. They faced issues as all cultures and societies do, but they are still the oldest continual living culture in the entire world, which proves that their way of life has some semblance of decency.

Issues of early death, malnutrition, illness, alcoholism are fundamentally linked to white civilisation coming to Australia – bringing brand new English diseases they weren't able to fend off with their immune system. Alcohol is a white man's drug and had addictive qualities. They are all cancers not fit for the Aboriginal lifestyle but still available to them.

As for 'literacy,' they're an oral culture as all cultures originally were. Their way of expression was fundamentally unique. They were able to communicate. They used languages to tell stories that connected them to their land and god's. Aboriginal culture simply doesn't function with the same linguistic consistencies as English does – imagine if us wadjulas were made to learn hieroglyphics? Totally different, fit for different people... imagine if you were all of a sudden expected to learn and live something that does not fit who you are, and then you're scalded for not conforming to a forced set of perimeters?

If we're using this to romanticise Aboriginal life through white guilt, then I think I'll jump to this offensive conclusion: your white guilt manifests in a "well we're here now, if they don't adapt to our ways, well that's their fault."

What a load of bullshit and wishful thinking. If it was so 'cool' more people would do it. Tripe.
You're talking tripe. Cool has always been defined by the bucking of norms, bringing in new ideas, and undermining society – blue jeans and Elvis, smokes and James Dean, hippies against consumerism, grunge against rap...

People can't subvert society because there's always a cost. How obvious is that? Nothing comes for free and cool is no different. It's impossible to shrug social norms because social expectations are so essential to living a normal, constructive (WHITE) life. Social norms are: education, two straight parents, getting a job, paying taxes, wearing normal clothes, engaging in legal activities only (unless highly without stigma, ie students and smoking bucketies), watching TV, having normal leisure activities like footy at 15, going out with your friends at 19, golf at 44... AKA the things all of us do. To buck those is to get backlash. To buck those is to be hated. To buck those is to get weird looks when you walk down the street. To buck those is to get thrown in prison. To buck those is to end up poor. To buck those is to have nothing to eat. To buck those is losing friends. To buck those is to lose things most of us get s**t-scared and anxious about.

So there is so much to lose. But that's what you've gotta do to attain it. That's the risk – it's no different to giving up free time for work, or giving up extra income and work for that extra day off...

It's cool to not work and freeload like Cosmo Kramer. But it's not at all likely or practical to live in New York, wear vintage threads, and never work... it's just not possible. You have everything to lose in that ambition of cool.

Girls like bad boys because they show a lack of respect against utmost authority – because it's cool. It's mysterious, it's interesting, it's unique, and it takes some serious stones.

Also, if everyone could be cool, cool would not exist. That's the most obvious thing about cool! It's hard! It's unlikely! It's reserved for rockstars and Chloe Sevigny!

Its probably likely that you'd earn more money as a captain coach, or even a player, playing country football than you would in the WAFL.

Does anyone else know about the Mullewa riots mostly centered around the Mullewa Hotel in the mid-1980's when a 25yo aboriginal man was killed by the publican who was an ex-policeman, and was later acquitted of man slaughter.

The victim had the same surname as Josh.

What has any of that got to do with rocking up to training and playing footy with your teammates on a scheduled basis? Does doing that mean you have all of the above? I don't think so. Come back to this board when you get out of university and learn some practical life lessons.

Being so full of homeopathic wisdom is very cool though.

There are so many here that try and derail this into 'oh lets sympathize' thread. The facts are:

1. Simpson played colts and reserves in the WAFL - got through that just fine.
2. Simpson put his hand up to be drafted into the AFL
3. Simpson played some games for Fremantle in the AFL
4. Simpson found it all too hard

I'm not talking about remote aboriginal lifestyles versus 'white' culture here. The fact is that Simpson reneged on what he put his hand up for or he simply had no idea what he was putting his hand up for and said 'not for me'.

I'm upset about it because we wasted a first round pick on the kid and subsequent development resources. It's not the same as Pitt who obviously had a health issue, I guarantee Pitt would trade with Simpson in a heartbeat. I'm upset about it from a FFC perspective and nothing more.

Yawn...

Is there any danger this thread could be closed now?

Josh is just another kid who tried out and didn't make it for whatever reason - and unless you know him personally and have asked him you have NO IDEA what those reasons were.

Assuming it was because he couldn't handle "white" expectations is racial sterotyping just as much as saying he is a typically flaky aboriginal.

Can we move on, leave him to live his own life and stop the pissing contest over who is the more socially conscious?

There are so many here that try and derail this into 'oh lets sympathize' thread. The facts are:

1. Simpson played colts and reserves in the WAFL - got through that just fine.
2. Simpson put his hand up to be drafted into the AFL
3. Simpson played some games for Fremantle in the AFL
4. Simpson found it all too hard

I'm not talking about remote aboriginal lifestyles versus 'white' culture here. The fact is that Simpson reneged on what he put his hand up for or he simply had no idea what he was putting his hand up for and said 'not for me'.

I'm upset about it because we wasted a first round pick on the kid and subsequent development resources. It's not the same as Pitt who obviously had a health issue, I guarantee Pitt would trade with Simpson in a heartbeat. I'm upset about it from a FFC perspective and nothing more.

So what? I'm sure most of us on here around that age have taken on something and it didn't quite workout and it wasn't for them.. These things happen at least the bloke isn't a scumbag like some others that didn't make it.

What I do find a bit funny is people getting all wound up about a couple of jokes about him and feeling all extra sorry for him or something. If it was Duffy or someone that was lazy and then acted like a baby missing a plane because they got dropped I bet many of the very same posters wouldn't have been saying oh good for you Max and how cool it is with whatever he was doing after he inevitably got the arse from FFC.. Sure it sounds like he obviously had a heap more issues than your average draftee with his own kid and extended family. I'm probably missing something but people keep banging on about a remote aboriginal as if he was plucked out of the NT desert. Is Yalgoo really that 'remote', isn't it like an hour away from Gerldton? Didn't he go to boarding school over in Adelaide for few years?

You know maybe, just maybe, it was absolutely bugger all to being aboriginal and his culture and he just couldn't be ****ed with the AFL like quite a few other kids that age? Not that there is anything wrong with that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back