List Mgmt. 2014 post season list review - Hitchy, Heath & Renouf delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

x2, a waste of a list spot IMO. I would've thought we could have had a crack at a young ruckman or KPD in that spot personally.

I expect us to take 2 picks to the draft. Any more would be a waste. Select a mature age ruckman and the best player available in the last pick. Then at the rookie draft pick up a 18 year old ruckman and a KP Defender, give them a couple years in the system and see if we can get them to develop well at the Maggies. The ruckman will probably be able to play in the academy side whilst the KP Defender could probably do a role in the senior SANFL team as we are lacking defensive height in that side.
Have to do this.

Russell is 11 days off of being a 2014 draftee.

Players on Port Adelaide's AFL list as a Rookie or Senior player cannot play in the academy side no matter how young, this is already well known.

A super quick tall defender would suit our list pretty well right now
Clurey's ready to roll anytime a spot opens up and we still have Stevenson. Also we can now rest either Ryder or Lobbe back. So wouldn't we be overdoing depth there?

Clurey's ready to roll anytime a spot opens up and we still have Stevenson. Also we can now rest either Ryder or Lobbe back. So wouldn't we be overdoing depth there?

probably. although I think we are very one paced with our defenders. If Clurey were to replace Carlile in the future we will be carved by the likes of Pavlich and Roughead. The clurey selection never made sense to me after I saw Hombsch for the first time. They both are probably a yard too slow. In short I probably wouldn't replace Carlile with Clurey at risk of making us a bit one dimensional. It's not so much a depth selection but a future best 22 selection.

id still pick up krak.... if monfires gets a holiday i could see him slipping straight in. and a better option the (than Sammy) gray
I'd like Krakouer too. Was our dominant forward in the SANFL GF. Dropped away in SANFL games a couple of times during the year but overall a far more professional and effective player than he showed in either of his 2 AFL stints. If it came to a choice between him and Sammy Gray then Krak's brute strength would probably win out.

probably. although I think we are very one paced with our defenders. If Clurey were to replace Carlile in the future we will be carved by the likes of Pavlich and Roughead. The clurey selection never made sense to me after I saw Hombsch for the first time. They both are probably a yard too slow. In short I probably wouldn't replace Carlile with Clurey at risk of making us a bit one dimensional. It's not so much a depth selection but a future best 22 selection.

Thing is Clurey will almost certainly never play on Pavlich or Roughhead, unless it's this year and we're really unlucky. Give the kid another year w Burgo, see how slow/strong he is after that. Still think next year we must draft a development KPD or two to get the mix right for a few years out.

That's kind of why I said "may have" been enough; in not sure what the asking price on Gorringe was, but two picks in the 30's is closer than 1 pick in the 30's - no need to compare me to norf.

Nah missed the point. Not having a go at you personally but we've had a few posts
suggesting similar trades. The situation wrt Gorringe is similar to ours and North's with the Jacobs trade.

We told North that we would be "out of the draft" by the time pick 37 or whatever they had would come around and if they wanted to trade they had to go inside our last pick that we had planned to use for the draft, as we were keeping one spot open for the pre season draft.

GCS have also said similar as in that they are planning to only use 3 picks and they have something like 8, 15 and 29. For us to give them a pick it had to better than 29, their last pick, and then they wouldn't have used 29.

37 and a player for Gorringe and 29 would have been about the best we could have done, but which player as then the value of the trade would have needed to be weighed up from our perspective as well. For that sort of trade, and considering their list, we wouldn't have had that much they would be interested in.

Last edited:
One more post wrt Gorringe.
Chances are that trade was doomed as soon as GCS said they needed a pick under 29 AND numerous quality players that required decent picks unexpectedly put themselves up for trade.

Chances are any plans that we may have had pre trade would have gone out of the window and at the end of the day we were probably lucky that we still managed to get the Ryder trade done. Our lads certainly earned their keep this year.

lol i just saw his interview with the advertiser posted on facebook. he is sooking like a baby. i've never seen anything quite like it in footy, to be honest.

"People tweeting, don’t you DARE question my work rate"
sorry princess.. are they keeping you up at night... :(

“Port Adelaide did promise things to me — and I don’t like being lied to."
200_s.gif

I can see the anger building my very young friend

“They let me down,”
lava_river07.jpg

NOW I'M GOING TO BURN HERE ON THE GOLD COAST FOREVER

Last edited:
That's a lot of shitty draft picks we'll be bringing in. Really bad for the depth of our list. Logan was essential to rookie in this scenario. I personally think it'd be silly to now not be looking at a couple mature agers.

Really disappointed we obviously couldn't get a trade over the line for Newton now. No doubt we tried to trade him in some way to get Gorringe and it fell over. Big shame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have liked Newton to succeed, and I know he performed well at SANFL level, but he was a total no-show when selected for the Power, he pretty much offered nothing!! How do you sell that to other clubs in trade week!! Whereas despite all the hate that Mitchell gets from BF members, he offers something!! ... Speed, endeavour, endurance, some x-factor goals.

Would have been nice to get a pick for him, otherwise I have no problems with this at all.

So how many actual picks do we have in the ND now?

And how many rookie spots to fill? (Sam Gray is the only staying?)

I presume Wagner isn't included in this.

I would have liked Newton to succeed, and I know he performed well at SANFL level, but he was a total no-show when selected for the Power, he pretty much offered nothing!! How do you sell that to other clubs in trade week!! Whereas despite all the hate that Mitchell gets from BF members, he offers something!! ... Speed, endeavour, endurance, some x-factor goals.

Would have been nice to get a pick for him, otherwise I have no problems with this at all.
Excellent, consistent 2nds form, strong foot skills, 4 years of development. Pretty easy to sell for a speculative pick 50-60. The difference between him and Mitchell is that we know Mitchell's ceiling, pretty much. Newton still hasn't had a serious crack in a senior AFL side due to the strength of our mids. Mitchell is also far more limited physically with his height.

So how many actual picks do we have in the ND now?

And how many rookie spots to fill? (Sam Gray is the only staying?)

I presume Wagner isn't included in this.

As it stands right now we have 4 list spots to fill on the main list if we want to go with 40 senior 4 rookies.
57, 75,93,111.

Sam Russell is still on the rookie list, so with the 40/4 list, we'll have 1 more rookie spot to fill.

Likely that we'll take a DFA and go in with picks 57, 75, 93, 111 (K.Mitchell).

Just FYI

The last 4 draft, national draft picks that are used on upgrading rookies from then on

2010 Pick 78
2011 Pick 73
2012 Pick 73
2013 Pick 69

After those picks pretty much every club is not drafting 'new' players. Other than the odd leftover.

Last edited:
I don't think we are going to have a 40 senior + 4 rookie + 2 category b rookie list. It looks like it will be 39 + 5 + 2 with a designated rookie able to play at the start of the season. It makes me think that Krak or Baulderstone will be rookie listed. I'm not fussed about Newton leaving. He wasn't getting game time when we had injuries and he was in form. I think we should have just traded him to his club of choice if we were unable to get a decent draft pick for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back