Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Now Starts A Long Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club might be fine with taking a risk with pick 11 when we will end up with Waterman as a late pick.

Yeah, i'd be happy for us to gamble on him if the club thinks there is a chance he could be something special. Hopefully we aren't being seduced into taking him merely because of his size and speed. Hopefully injuries don't hamper him too much if we do take him.

Now that's what I like to see! Would love Pickett or Weller if available but if not I'm really hoping for Duggan or Cockatoo so I couldn't help but smile when I saw those were the four players mentioned. It's not that I dislike Ahern I just struggle to see him really stepping up to be an A-grader, whereas the other four all have a greater potential. Ahern looks like more a contributor than a star and we have plenty of players that can play a similar role to him.

I really want Pickett or Weller.

Assuming they are both gone, I'm not sure who Id prefer out of Ahern, Duggan, Durdin or Cockatoo.

I'm worried that Cockatoo will be a bust, but still excited by the possibility he could be amazing.
For me, I'd want them in this order.

Weller> Duggan> Durdin> Cockatoo> Pickett> Ahern

Having read the whole article it's difficult to really gauge who might be around at our selection. Based purely on the article you'd guess something along the lines of...
1. Petracca
2. Brayshaw
3. McCartin
4. Wright
5. Laverde
6. Langford
7. Ahern
8. Pickett
9. Moore
10. Lever
11. Cockatoo
With Duggan, Durdin and Goddard the most notable exclusions who could easily go at #12, #13 and #14.
The most interesting news I gathered from the article was that Ahern and Langford seem to be rated above Pickett and Weller according to Twomey, which hugely increases our chances of landing either of them. Especially if Lever slides as he seems to be suggesting as it would be very difficult for Geelong to look past him. Also, I disagree that Gold Coast will take Pickett over Weller, surely they enough similar players to Pickett?

However, my personal prediction is quite different.
1. Petracca
2. Brayshaw
3. McCartin
4. Laverde (banking on GWS presuming that Collingwood won't take Wright)
5. Langford
6. Wright
7. Lever/Ahern
8. Weller
9. Moore
10. Ahern/Lever
11. Pickett
12. Duggan
13. Durdin
14. Goddard
So in summary, whilst previously I was sceptical, I have a good feeling Pickett may slide. And if he doesn't I would expect us to take either Duggan or Cockatoo.

Can someone fill me in about who this Cockatoo character is, i've been on holiday.

Is he fast? Does he play mid?

He's the next Judd, or was it Goodes, maybe Dnagerfield, I can't remember, all I know is, based on one game, he is probably THE best player ever to be a potential draftee, and if we don't pick he, we are f**king negligent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From an NTFL rising stars write up

"Southern Districts – Nakia Cockatoo

Nakia Cockatoo, son of NTFL champion Jason, is a very highly-rated prospect. As a current AIS-AFL level two scholarship holder, Cockatoo would love a big season in the hope of getting drafted next year. He is another versatile footballer in that he is more than comfortable in a number of different positions on the ground. The young Croc got a taste of senior football with NT Thunder this season and acquitted himself well. Cockatoo is a coachable and hardworking footballer which will hold him in good stead in the future."

"His agility is quite notable, Cockatoo always backs himself in to weave through players and crowded stoppages, it’s a fantastic sight to see him in full flight. His repeat sprint was the best at the AFL Combine and he was one of only a few players to ever crack the sub-24 second mark for the repeat sprint. He has run a sub 8 second agility test in the past, which is elite."

He just turned 18 two days ago as well!

Last edited:
Wasn't Adelaide taking Dangerfield at pick 10 considered a risk? Cockatoo could be our Dangerfield. If Pickett's gone, I say we take that risk.

The SA media at the time couldn't believe they didn't take Ebert over him and I remember seeing some real scathing articles aimed at the Crows for seemingly making such a blunder.

But my uncle in Adelaide who follows the Crows really closely told me they chose him because "he will be the next Judd".

I think people in the know were not surprised who knew Dangerfield but Adelaide picking Ebert was just assumed by all as a pick of convenience.

But bigger.:thumbsu:
A little taller and he'll end up 5ish kegs more. - As put by previous posters, I think we'll take him too, lets hope he has the poise at the top level.
(tried to insert a fingers crossed gif but my pc is being a Capper) - Instead I went for a Vegas roll the dice feel from Snatch. (Already saved)
snatch-viva-las-vegas-o.gif

I look at the Cockatoo situation like this.

The negatives as so many have said is limited exposure. No one can argue that.

The positives however are that he was part of the academy and did very well at the combine. Destroying the all stars match didn't hurt either.

So then he has shot up the draft theoretically based upon those few factors alone.

That says a hell of a lot about what he might be capable of, whether it be first or second round it is impressive to think he is/his skills are so highly regarded.

I don't think we need to be playing it safe with our first pick. We need to target players who will fill needs.

Weller, Ahern and Duggan may all turn out to be decent/good players but we already have players similar to them.

Cockatoo and Pickett offer something different.

We whinge about treading water but then we want to draft the "safe options"

We're not talking about an undeveloped kid here (Notte) or one with no skill sets (Weedon) because Nakia has both size and skill.

The two injuries he had this year may turn out to be a blessing for the team who takes a punt.

Pickett or Cockatoo in the first and i will consider this draft period a huge success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back