List Mgmt. Round 1, 2015 Full strength team

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be ideal to have both Freeman and Close take the next step. In a couple of years, I could easily see Close, McStay and Freeman doing well as our KPFs.

Just curious, who would you leave out of your best 22 to make way for Robinson? I think I'd have him as the sub at best, in my first draft best 22.
Probably take harwood out for robbo. Both have average kicks about the same size but robbo is ruthless and certainly wont back out of a contest (not saying harwood does).

No idea at this stage who will be in which place in the team (apart from some of the givens of course) - I do anticipate that the pre-season games this year will most definitely be taken seriously by the players/coaches with so much competition for suddenly limited slots.

Much better problem to have than the old one where we were struggling to find enough competent players to make out the team some weeks ... :)

FB: Adcock, Merrett, Gardiner
HB: Hanley, Clarke, McStay
C: Aish, Rich, Paparone
HF: Beams, Close, Christensen
FF: Mcguane, Leuenberger, Green
R: Martin, Redden, Rockliff
Bench: Zorko, Taylor, Mayes, C Beams.

Unlucky: Bewick, Harwood, Freeman, Lester, Staker, Cutler.

I have Mcguane getting first crack in the forward line ahead of Staker and Freeman simply because he is somewhat proven at AFL level (not convinced Staker is going to be able to get back to his top form). Bewick and Lester also stiff but there is genuine competition for spots in their positions. I think we will see Bourke eventually play the Patfull role next year and we should see a bit of Cutler too.

Toss up for the last bench spot too. Will be interesting to see how we go structurally.

Really excited about the potential inclusion of Robinson than Beams. Always knew Beams was coming home to QLD so wasn't a real surprise when he finally did but the addition of Bundy and Robinson has really completed our midfield. Our whole midfield can go in and win the ball consistently(Taylor and Aish as exceptions due to age) and do it very well. I think our CP and clearance issues will be a strength of our next season especially with the inclusion of the Richmond midfield coach as well.

Probably take harwood out for robbo. Both have average kicks about the same size but robbo is ruthless and certainly wont back out of a contest (not saying harwood does).

Robbo would be a country mile behind Harwood based on last years form IMO. Harwood has also shown the. ability to lock down smalls and we have very few players that can. Harwood also has some dash while Robbo has good endurance but is very one paced. Robbo would have to have a huge pre-season to be in our best 22 for the start of the season. If he did come into the team I can't see him replacing Harwood as it's not a like for like.

I'd have Freeman a fair way behind Close on most measures.

I like both but Freeman has shown contested marking ability at 198cm and looms as the big target we need down forward. It was one of numerous reasons why the team was more successful in the latter part of the season as I he presented that target for the mids/half forwards and really just helped our structure. So in terms of playing his role I think he has been able to contribute more than Close at this stage.

I like Close though for his aggressive attitude and high work rate. He's still a baby in KP terms so if he can work on his leading patterns and using his body better in contested marking ability he could be a very good CHF. He doesn't appear to have quite the athleticism of someone like freeman to just jump into a pack and grab high marks so it's going to be more about working his opponent over with and without the ball.

I like both but Freeman has shown contested marking ability at 198cm and looms as the big target we need down forward. It was one of numerous reasons why the team was more successful in the latter part of the season as I he presented that target for the mids/half forwards and really just helped our structure. So in terms of playing his role I think he has been able to contribute more than Close at this stage.

I like Close though for his aggressive attitude and high work rate. He's still a baby in KP terms so if he can work on his leading patterns and using his body better in contested marking ability he could be a very good CHF. He doesn't appear to have quite the athleticism of someone like freeman to just jump into a pack and grab high marks so it's going to be more about working his opponent over with and without the ball.

I couldn't have a more opposite opinion of close and freeman tbh. When looking at first year players its important to look at what was asked of them defensively as well. Freeman was asked to contribute very little to that side of the game in his first few, hence he was able to just position himself offensively and retain his energy for those contests. Close was not only asked to carry a much higher defensive load but also ruck at stages.

I couldn't have a more opposite opinion of close and freeman tbh. When looking at first year players its important to look at what was asked of them defensively as well. Freeman was asked to contribute very little to that side of the game in his first few, hence he was able to just position himself offensively and retain his energy for those contests. Close was not only asked to carry a much higher defensive load but also ruck at stages.

Fair enough that is your opinion but I retain my view. Key position forwards should be first an foremost about presenting at the ball taking marks and hitting the scoreboard. Being good defensively is great, but in that position it won't win you games if you aren't providing something offensively. Also I feel like one of the main reasons Close was thrown in the ruck was to try and get his hands on the ball to get him into games because he couldn't get near it at times. And although he tried his butt off he was hardly successful in this role.

Our ability to hit the scoreboard (through Freeman directly and through bringing the crumbing smalls into the game) and our structure overall just had a much better look with Freeman in the team.

I am pretty bullish on the Freeman/Close pairing moving forward though as they both offer something quite different with a lot of improvement in them.

Based on last season Close over Freeman by a fair way for me. Close played various possies and did take a few good contested marks. Played as a true CHF at times and was also moving back down the ground ala Brown like at times. Was played in the ruck, wrongly IMO, a fair bit and up until a natural loss of energy from a 19/20 year old KPP late in the season was showing fine promise. Freeman showed promise in a final 4 game burst with specific reference to one game. Close on the other hand played 14 games with his output slowing late on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt it. Martin has gone way past him now.

As a contributor when the ball hits the ground and in general play round the ground probably, however Martin's tapwork still wasn't great this season. All his excellent work around the ground sort of masked his deficiencies in this area. I'd still have Leuey ahead of him based on tapwork in the ruck contest. Given our improved midfield strength and depth this year I'd hope that we'd be less reliant on our ruck for clearance work. Regardless there's a place for both in the side and I still seeing both getting significant ruck time. Martin as the better contested mark/presence probably offers more up forward so I can see him being used more in that role than Leuey, hence Leuey being our primary ruck.

Also we'll probably see Martin around the contest as another big body like we did in the game they played together, but Leuey will be the actual ruckman in those contests. All that tends to lead towards Leuey being our primary ruck.

Robbo would be a country mile behind Harwood based on last years form IMO. Harwood has also shown the. ability to lock down smalls and we have very few players that can. Harwood also has some dash while Robbo has good endurance but is very one paced. Robbo would have to have a huge pre-season to be in our best 22 for the start of the season. If he did come into the team I can't see him replacing Harwood as it's not a like for like.
I've lost track of which Robbo we're talking about. :(

MRobbo & NRobbo will hardly be super clear either. ;)

I've lost track of which Robbo we're talking about. :(

MRobbo & NRobbo will hardly be super clear either. ;)
I'm happier with Robbo & Sloth.

734959-20989b3e-4cff-11e3-8ea1-0956ca5aa3f4.jpg

&

Sloth.jpg

P.S. It's not too mean until he's actually on the list.

It's quite conceivable we will have a game plan built around two first ruckmen - if that makes sense.
I'm not a great judge on these things because I tipped Sam Michael to be our next big thing:(. With that caveat, I agree with those who put Close ahead of Freeman. Freeman may be a more natural forward but he showed signs of being a tad slow and cumbersome - I actually think Close has good agility for a big man and has a bigger tank than Freeman at this stage of their respective careers and probably always will. But will be exciting to see them both developing, especially with the increased/better delivery from our midfield.

Grew up playing footy with Jono freeman, me n a few of the guys from the club who I occasionally catch up with still can't believe he got picked up. Cain tickler always looked to have far more class but I spose injuries got the better of him

Grew up playing footy with Jono freeman, me n a few of the guys from the club who I occasionally catch up with still can't believe he got picked up. Cain tickler always looked to have far more class but I spose injuries got the better of him

Well he has shown a bit at AFL level. Goes to show recruiters know much more than we do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back