News 2015 Captain is Rocky!

Remove this Banner Ad

It can't be any lower that Adcock's.

I was involved in an exercise earlier this year held a large Melbourne metropolitan football club to rank the 18 AFL captains from 1-18 on the merits of their captaincy and their playing ability, Jed Adcock came in dead last on every single list. I'd really like to say something different but the larger football community does not think greatly of him. A number of people I spoke to that night asked the question why is Patfull our captain when I asked what they had against Adcock, there view is that Patfull has far more to do with the organisation of the defence structures at Brisbane than Adcock, yet both play in the same part of the ground.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that there ARE in fact people in Melbourne who know who Joel Patfull is :eek:. Couldn't get one or two of those people on the AA panel could you?

But seriously, the players chose Adcock. The players love Adcock. Who are we to argue with their decision on who'd they'd prefer to follow? For all we know, Joel and Rocky could have some major weird s**t going on like summoning spirits from the afterlife before the game. Ultimately, they're the ones who have to live with it more than us, so I'm not about to tell them otherwise.

Would I like to see Joel as Captain? Hell yes, what sort of one-eyed, irrationally biased and somewhat creepy fan would I be if I didn't? But it's not my decision.

It can't be any lower that Adcock's.

I was involved in an exercise earlier this year held a large Melbourne metropolitan football club to rank the 18 AFL captains from 1-18 on the merits of their captaincy and their playing ability, Jed Adcock came in dead last on every single list. I'd really like to say something different but the larger football community does not think greatly of him. A number of people I spoke to that night asked the question why is Patfull our captain when I asked what they had against Adcock, there view is that Patfull has far more to do with the organisation of the defence structures at Brisbane than Adcock, yet both play in the same part of the ground.
I guess that is relevant if you are concerned by what other people think.

I find myself frequently surprised that Franklin wasn't captain of both Hawthorn and Sydney. After all he had such a high profile!

I'm concerned about the image of the club and how the club is going to grow and get numbers back towards what they were a decade ago. As I said earlier it is all well and good to preach to the converted and have them content, but if those outside the club you are trying to get through the gate or corporates you want to put money into the club don't think much of what they see then growth will be slow and we can't afford that. Brisbane must look at the bigger picture, purely looking at the small picture will see us achieve nothing more than being a middle of the road club.

I'm concerned about the image of the club and how the club is going to grow and get numbers back towards what they were a decade ago. As I said earlier it is all well and good to preach to the converted and have them content, but if those outside the club you are trying to get through the gate or corporates you want to put money into the club don't think much of what they see then growth will be slow and we can't afford that. Brisbane must look at the bigger picture, purely looking at the small picture will see us achieve nothing more than being a middle of the road club.

And that's fixed by Patfull as captain? Someone who makes even fewer media appearances than Adcock? A higher media profile is a good thing - we're seeing that with Swann and Rockliff already, and it's working. The other thing that helps is winning games, and the players seem to think that Adcock is the best captain on-field. I'm going to defer to them on that, having not played for the Brisbane Lions.

Steve Johnson, Jimmy Bartel, Jarryd Roughead, Nik Nat, Jack Reiwoldt, Boomer Harvey, Drew Petrie, Dane Swan, Brendon Goddard, Buddy, Fyfe, Cox, Gia, Dangerfield.
All big names and public faces for their clubs, none captain.

And that's fixed by Patfull as captain? Someone who makes even fewer media appearances than Adcock? A higher media profile is a good thing - we're seeing that with Swann and Rockliff already, and it's working. The other thing that helps is winning games, and the players seem to think that Adcock is the best captain on-field. I'm going to defer to them on that, having not played for the Brisbane Lions.
no it's fixed by giving it to Rich or Rockliff.

Steve Johnson, Jimmy Bartel, Jarryd Roughead, Nik Nat, Jack Reiwoldt, Boomer Harvey, Drew Petrie, Dane Swan, Brendon Goddard, Buddy, Fyfe, Cox, Gia, Dangerfield.
All big names and public faces for their clubs, none captain.
Stop making me laugh. I'll go through your list

Johnson & Bartell - sorry mate but Joel Selwood is captain and the public face adn best player at Geelong.
Roughead - Hodge is the face of the club, does the media work and is an A grade player. He stands for everything Hawthorn fans love in a player.
Jack Reiwodlt - Cotchin is the face of the club, captain and best player. Dustin Martin has a higher profile (for good and bad reasons)
Petrie & Gia - faces of their clubs, if you seriously think that then you need some help. Neither is the face of the club, you could've made a better arguement for Cooney than Gia, but Griffen is their best player and the one the club uses.
Swann - Pendelbury is the face of the club, captain and best player. Swann & Cloke both have high profiles but sit behind Pendelbury on both fronts.
Goddard - Whilst another top player you are kidding if you think he's the public face of Essendon, Watson is and has been for a number of years. Best player, will go down as a club great and is son of a club great. Get some Essendon marketing stuff and Watson is plastered all over it.
Fyfe - might be best player but Pavlich is most definitely the face of the club and will be until he retires.

Nik Nat, Cox & Dangerfield - whilst each has a higher profile than the captain, we are talking about clubs loaded with cash who can sell out their stadiums and have waiting lists for memberships, look at us we're at the other end of the scale.

Boomer - I'll conceed this one though, he is definitely the face of North Melbourne.

This is a style over substance argument. I know which I'd rather.

If Rockliff is seen by the club and the players as the best choice to lead the team, then I'm more than supportive of it. If Rich somehow leapfrogs both Rockliff and Adcock into the captaincy, based again on him being best place to fulfill primary role of a football club captain (ie to lead the boys) then, again, I'm OK with that.

But the reality is, if profile is what we're looking, we'd have left the (c) next to Brown's name until the moment he retired. And it completely disregards the fact that, throughout history, there are many successful captains who weren't the highest profile players at their club.

Again, just to make the point, I'm happy enough to change captains. But not because we want someone who gets his mug on TV more than the incumbent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I don't think media profile and captaincy have to go hand in hand. You can put anyone with personality in front of a camera if its profile we're looking for. For a captain I'm looking for onfield and day to day leadership. Now in many cases these two end up overlapping, but its not to say one can't exist without the other. FWIW I'm neither here nor there on who should be captain if the players are going to pick their captain who are we to argue. Doesn't stop Rocky or Rich getting out and doing media stuff. McVeigh and Jack aren't probably the most inspiring media personalities but I'd imagine that doesn't even come into it when they're picking their captains.

I think our best chance for media exposure while we're not winning is now Swann and still Browny given he'll probably be doing more media stuff next year. Having a voice in the media from a past player is always helpful.

I'm ok with jed for another season, because of the obvious respect he has from the playing group.
He may have had a consistent year, but I thought on numerous occasions his decision making was terrible. I haven't noticed this as much in previous years.
Imo, you need your captain to be better in this area. You want the ball in their hands at crucial times. If he is reappointed, I'll be looking for an improvement next year.

There should be a couple of changes to the leadership group this year. Patfull is a definite out. Golby might drop out. Wonder if Beams (and to a lesser extent, Christensen) will be considered? The other thought I had was whether the young brigade might get representation - a Taylor, Mayes, Gardiner or Aish?

2014 leadership group:

Captain - Adcock
Vice Captain - Rockliff
Deputy VC - Rich, Patfull, Merrett
Leadership group - Hanley, Redden, Golby, Zorko, Leuenberger

There should be a couple of changes to the leadership group this year. Patfull is a definite out. Golby might drop out. Wonder if Beams (and to a lesser extent, Christensen) will be considered? The other thought I had was whether the young brigade might get representation - a Taylor, Mayes, Gardiner or Aish?

2014 leadership group:

Captain - Adcock
Vice Captain - Rockliff
Wasn't Taylor captain of Vic County?

2014 leadership group:

Captain - Adcock
Vice Captain - Rockliff

One could envisage a few changes to that. I tend to not be a big fan of large formal 'leadership groups' I prefer A captain and 2 or three vices captains however:

Leaving the Structure and Numbers the same, I would suggest.

Hanley or Redden up to replace Patfull.
Perhaps Green in to replace Golby.

I think other players they may want to consider as part of the leadership group in the medium to long term would be Clarke and Gardiner, but would leave them out for the moment.

2014 leadership group:

Captain - Adcock
Vice Captain - Rockliff

Merrett should be dropped from Deputy Vice Captain and all other responsibilities, to be honest.

His form doesn't warrant such praise and his constant brain fades and reckless playing style isn't leadership material.

Merrett should be dropped from Deputy Vice Captain and all other responsibilities, to be honest.

His form doesn't warrant such praise and his constant brain fades and reckless playing style isn't leadership material.
While I agree Rog didn't have the best year last year being in the leadership group is as much about what happens off field as on and I suspect that Big Sauce is a very influential man in the rooms and on the training track, not to mention outside the club.
Of course you don't need to be in the leadership group to be a leader, but to cut him based on a bad year where his frustration and a loss of speed resulted in a couple of suspensions IMO is overly harsh.

While I agree Rog didn't have the best year last year being in the leadership group is as much about what happens off field as on and I suspect that Big Sauce is a very influential man in the rooms and on the training track, not to mention outside the club.

Yeah, you'd think so considering he is the longest serving Lion on our list (13 years including 2015), one more Jed (12) and Leuenberger (9).

Big fan of Rocky but he let his passion get the best of him on a number of occasions last season with the multiple suspensions and his clash with Boomer. I don't have too much of a problem with that. He reminds me of a young JB, just needs to work out where the line is play to it but not cross it. His time to lead the club will come if he can find the right balancing act.

Jed just appears like the ultimate professional and would seem like a great mentor for the kids and is obviously loved by the entire playing group.

I'm wrapped to seeing Mayes in some of the new marketing material, his name kept popping up at the beginning of the year as taking a proactive role in welcoming the new players to the club and his early and longer term contract signing sent a very clear message of his intent, of the younger group he is showing some promising leadership material.

For 2015:

Captain - Adcock
Vice Captain - Rockliff
Deputy VC - Rich, Redden, Zorko
Leadership group - Hanley, Leuenberger, D. Beams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back