Bulldogs to play 2 games in Ballarat

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people can't afford to keep paying for a membership if they can't use it. Some are lucky they are in a position that they can. I just feel that we may gain an increase in membership but it will be 3 game memberships but lose people who have bigger memberships.

get what you're saying. it'd be hard for some folk to attend games in ballarat. for many though, ballarat isn't any more time than old arctic park used to be (especially factoring time getting out of that foresaken carpark). it's certainly closer than manuka / cairns / launceston.

the club can't just keep hosting GWS, freo, brisbane at etihad and losing half a million each week AND run competitive football / commercial operation. the club made more money hosting willy in the VFL finals (ie - a profit) than we did hosting a 25000 crowd at etihad. pull the string a bit further - the club continues to operate at a massive loss, increasing pressure to relocate games (see north melbourne, hawthorn, WBD) - or relocate permanently (sydney, fitzroy).

I think it's just going to be a grand stand on the southern wing, put small terraces or hills behind the goals and slight refurbishments of the current facilities on the northern wing. To be honest that and a few nice looking trees behind the goals would turn the ground from a wasteland into an adequate ground.

The complete $80m (2010 prices) plan for the whole precinct includes, as you suggest, a grand stand on one wing. Presumably a 5,000 seat grandstand would make a total capacity of less than 8,000?

They can't really do too much at either end because of residential at the west and the main road on the east.

The footy ground is at the right of this, the Showgrounds the left. The white building at the top is the Pokie venue with about 200 seats.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/551315/80m-entertainment-zone-unveiled-for-ballarat/

The complete $80m (2010 prices) plan for the whole precinct includes, as you suggest, a grand stand on one wing. Presumably a 5,000 seat grandstand would make a total capacity of less than 8,000?

They can't really do too much at either end because of residential at the west and the main road on the east.

The footy ground is at the right of this, the Showgrounds the left. The white building at the top is the Pokie venue with about 200 seats.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/551315/80m-entertainment-zone-unveiled-for-ballarat/
I can't see the AFL letting a team play for premiership points somewhere with room for less than 10 thousand.

If its a goer I think we should look at playing another Victorian team as 1 of the games.
If we are going to make more $$$ from playing games in Ballarat we should look at maximising the profit.

Playing someone like St Kilda would generate more interest from the locals (Ballarat used to be the old St Kilda zone) & we would likely get more $$$$ being spent by not only dogs & saints fans, but locals who follow footy who may want to go to an AFL game locally for something to do.

If we only look at the interstate teams (Brisbane, GC, GWS, WC & Freo) the interest may not be as high from the locals, and they may see us as just playing junk games there.

If its to be supported by the club, we cant then abuse the locals by playing teams that have zip pulling power.
That is a sure way of keeping non-Bulldogs supporters away from the games.

We want to build our profile etc, I expect cyncial people in the local area would expect us to just play the interstaters there, but it may change a few minds if we show we are serious by playing a Victorian team there.

Needs a long term view - There always seems to be a commitment from AFL teams to support these sorts of deals & then pull out after a few years for whatever reason.

If its a goer I think we should look at playing another Victorian team as 1 of the games.
If we are going to make more $$$ from playing games in Ballarat we should look at maximising the profit.

Playing someone like St Kilda would generate more interest from the locals (Ballarat used to be the old St Kilda zone) & we would likely get more $$$$ being spent by not only dogs & saints fans, but locals who follow footy who may want to go to an AFL game locally for something to do.

If we only look at the interstate teams (Brisbane, GC, GWS, WC & Freo) the interest may not be as high from the locals, and they may see us as just playing junk games there.

If its to be supported by the club, we cant then abuse the locals by playing teams that have zip pulling power.
That is a sure way of keeping non-Bulldogs supporters away from the games.

We want to build our profile etc, I expect cyncial people in the local area would expect us to just play the interstaters there, but it may change a few minds if we show we are serious by playing a Victorian team there.

Needs a long term view - There always seems to be a commitment from AFL teams to support these sorts of deals & then pull out after a few years for whatever reason.

Unfortunately the ground initially won't hold enough spectators to host two Victorian clubs in an AFL match - we'd get somewhere around 20,000 to a StKilda game. If they build the 15,000 seat grandstand option and the ground capacity is about 20,000 or more, then you're talkin'.

Unfortunately the ground initially won't hold enough spectators to host two Victorian clubs in an AFL match - we'd get somewhere around 20,000 to a StKilda game. If they build the 15,000 seat grandstand option and the ground capacity is about 20,000 or more, then you're talkin'.
Agree Mutt, I guess I was thinking longer term when the facilities are up to the job!

Allows us to play games there and gives us profit for afl games till Whitten Oval is AFL ready.

Whitten Oval will never be AFL ready will it?

How we going to come up with 100 million to build a 30000 seat stadium ?

I'm not raining on your parade but do you honestly think this is ever going to be realistic?

I'm not raining on your parade but do you honestly think this is ever going to be realistic?
I have to agree with you here matty. I love VitalDread due to how he is so glass half full all the time though, its refreshing!

Princes Park will be redeveloped to boutique status long before Whitten Oval ever enters the AFL's thoughts.

I have to agree with you here matty. I love VitalDread due to how he is so glass half full all the time though, its refreshing!

Oh absolutely I have no issue with Vital im just not sure this will and even can happen to be honest.

Coz if we get Whitten oval, North will want Arden st, then St Kilda will want Morrabin back and so on

Princes Park will be redeveloped to boutique status long before Whitten Oval ever enters the AFL's thoughts.

God I hope not coz that joint is a sh!thole.

Hated every minute of going there even though I think we had a pretty good record there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God I hope not coz that joint is a sh!thole.

Hated every minute of going there even though I think we had a pretty good record there

I agree.

However it has a 20 year old stand and has the benefit of being fenced with toilet facilities, bars, etc.

Would take a lot of work to modernize it to current standards, but far less than WO would need to be to the AFL's liking.

Win a flag withing 5 years
Get 50k members
Get goverment and afl funding
Maybe one day

Reason why i say that is because i see the afl heading towards the nba set up
Every club bas their own grounf which creates a great profit league wide
Maybe within the next 30-50 years

Have a listen to the Gordon statement at Eureka about 4:50 in. He says we will incorporate the colours of the Eureka flag which is "so inimical" to the people of Ballarat.

inimical
ɪˈnɪmɪk(ə)l/
adjective

1. tending to obstruct or harm.
    "the policy was inimical to Britain's real interests"
    synonyms: harmful, injurious, detrimental, deleterious, pernicious, damaging, hurtful,dangerous, destructive, ruinous, calamitous;
  1. unfriendly; hostile
    "an inimical alien power"
    synonyms:hostile, unfriendly, antagonistic, ill-disposed, unkind, unsympathetic,malevolent, malign;

Woops.:oops:

I was at the Ballarat Show over the weekend, and took a chance to look over Eureka again from a vantage point in the Showgrounds. It will need a lot of work to get near an AFL standard venue. Just grabbed the picture below quickly from Google Maps (sorry, it's a bit crude).
A - western end - minimal space for stand development around the A, very narrow space, but more space around the south (C or outer side) which is the border with the Showgrounds. B, or eastern end, is very close to Creswick Rd, and again slightly narrow for development. So basically White Ave (the back street at the western end, with housing), and Creswick Rd at the eastern end will both be impediments to any significant development behind either goals. Any development along outer/southern side eats into existing Showground arena - not sure that will go down well. Showgrounds are a bit dated, but to upgrade/modify or relocate them would add $$$$ to the plan.

upload_2014-11-13_13-0-5.jpeg

I was at the Ballarat Show over the weekend, and took a chance to look over Eureka again from a vantage point in the Showgrounds. It will need a lot of work to get near an AFL standard venue. Just grabbed the picture below quickly from Google Maps (sorry, it's a bit crude).
A - western end - minimal space for stand development around the A, very narrow space, but more space around the south (C or outer side) which is the border with the Showgrounds. B, or eastern end, is very close to Creswick Rd, and again slightly narrow for development. So basically White Ave (the back street at the western end, with housing), and Creswick Rd at the eastern end will both be impediments to any significant development behind either goals. Any development along outer/southern side eats into existing Showground arena - not sure that will go down well. Showgrounds are a bit dated, but to upgrade/modify or relocate them would add $$$$ to the plan.

View attachment 92136
Reports are that the show grounds will be entirely moved to Vic Park across from Lake Wendouree.

Reports are that the show grounds will be entirely moved to Vic Park across from Lake Wendouree.

Sounds good, but who's paying for that? It would cost too much to be part of Daniel Andrews' commitment.

Also would mean loss of park land - although Vic Park is pretty big.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back