List Mgmt. Round 1, 2015 Full strength team

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry if I inferred Paps and Staker were of the same POB’s, more the style of player I’d be wanting. Sure when on-song Staker’s stats suggest he would be more value as a target with his better contested marks/possessions than Marco. You could also add his swingman capabilities to move into roles forward or back but I think McStay already has that role covered and personally, if I wanted another leading target I’d want Freeman learning that role ahead of playing Stakes.

I’d select Paparone ahead of both Staker and Freeman for exactly the high forward/wingman role you are suggesting not as a KPF – [damn team listing format is so out dated but the marketing types would never allow just the listing of a squad] – I think the days of stay at home KPF are well in the past and the endurance abilities our 2015 and beyond forwards of the likes of Paps, Close, Martin and even Robinson will be the direction of the next generation, IMO.

I am a Paps fan and would probably have him in the mix for round 1 too, in exactly the same role. I guess I see him in competition with the likes of Mayes, Robinson, Bewick, Christensen, Taylor, Aish, CBeams etc - and even the likes of Beams, Rich, Zorko or Hanley, depending on role. I believe the greatest competition for a spot will be in that high half forward / occasional midfield role. Paparone offers a point of difference with his height/running power combination. But all the others have their unique attributes too. But there are so many players you can put onto your half forward flank, wing or interchange and, with a fully fit list, there will be a couple of guys miss out. For that reason, I don't even have the likes of Taylor, Mayes or Aish as certainties just yet - let alone a Paparone who is not quite as well performed. I think that's the pressure that the recruitment of 3 mid/hff guys has created.

By all accounts Nick Robertson is BOG on the training track so far. Will be given every chance to cement a spot in the NAB Cup IMO. Hope he forces his way in too. Unbelievable work ethic.

By all accounts Nick Robertson is BOG on the training track so far. Will be given every chance to cement a spot in the NAB Cup IMO. Hope he forces his way in too. Unbelievable work ethic.
I have Robertson in my side, breakout year for him as long as he can stay injury free.

I have Robertson in my side, breakout year for him as long as he can stay injury free.
I did too. I had him as the sub, but I could see him putting pressure on a few of the others, like Mayes and Aish (who are both very good as well) for a starting role.

Endurance and effort have never been issues for him. I'm far more interested to see how he goes in the matchplay drills in the new year.

Endurance and effort have never been issues for him. I'm far more interested to see how he goes in the matchplay drills in the new year.
What do you see as his weaknesses in this area? I know he was used as a tagger a few times last year, that's normally meant as a learning experience when the coach throws a 3rd or 4th gamer on to tag Fyfe/Cotchin. Hopefully he learnt a lot from those experiences and will be better for it.

For me, NRobbo's plays in a style not unlike Steve Morris and Nick Vlastuin. They've both played tight, hard-as-coffin-nails defensive roles, and it wouldn't surprise me if Nick found his way into the side via that route.

He's got Harwood and Golby covered for fitness and (I suspect) sheer power. I'm guessing he's quicker than Ryan, and about the same as Golby. None of them have stood out as decision makers (Harwood worries me there) or foot skills. Would be interested to see him play as tight defender during the preseason.

What do you see as his weaknesses in this area? I know he was used as a tagger a few times last year, that's normally meant as a learning experience when the coach throws a 3rd or 4th gamer on to tag Fyfe/Cotchin. Hopefully he learnt a lot from those experiences and will be better for it.
Disposal. Primarily composure under pressure. Has the tendency to hold the ball too long. It is possibly a result of slow decision making, but I suspect he may have gotten used to running through blokes as a junior (Robbo18! ?), or maybe he just likes the body contact...either way, it didn't work so well against men last year, so he ran himself into trouble quite a bit, which often led to flailing elbows and a hacked handball away.

Nothing to panic about yet. He's a kid still learning the ropes.

I saw his disposal issues more just a bloke not quite used to the step up in pace between AFL and NEAFL. I only got to one NEAFL game this year, but his stats at that level looked good. I suspect that's why he was given the tag job on Fyfe and Cotchin (and a couple of others I can't remember), just a chance to learn from the bet opposition players, rather than grooming him to be a full-time tagger.

xplo, interesting thought to play him as a defender. He wouldn't look out of place down there. Maybe a HBF who pushes through the midfield rotations as well. A bit like Brandon Ellis, but I'm just making stuff up now. Either way, I think he's in for a bright future.

I saw his disposal issues more just a bloke not quite used to the step up in pace between AFL and NEAFL.
That's not what I observed at the ~8 ressies games I watched, although IMO he showed some improvement as the year progressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not what I observed at the ~8 ressies games I watched, although IMO he showed some improvement as the year progressed.
Thanks, like I said, I only saw the one NEAFL game. All I had to go on were stats.

Dunno how much truth there is to it but in the Claye & Dayne interview he is asked about competing for his sport in the mid half forward role. He retorts with 'I have already been shafted to half back' I dunno about anyone else but I think he will play really well there. His run and carry coming out of the back half as well as his kick which I think is severely underrated is perfect for that role. He also doesn't lack that defensive side to his game and I think if it is true and he is competing for that half back spot I think he will cement himself there. Also frees up one of Rich and Hanley back into the midfield. Man claye and Rich running it out of the back half of the field is pretty exciting. Both booming kicks I think they could become a formidable duo.

Dunno how much truth there is to it but in the Claye & Dayne interview he is asked about competing for his sport in the mid half forward role. He retorts with 'I have already been shafted to half back' I dunno about anyone else but I think he will play really well there. His run and carry coming out of the back half as well as his kick which I think is severely underrated is perfect for that role. He also doesn't lack that defensive side to his game and I think if it is true and he is competing for that half back spot I think he will cement himself there. Also frees up one of Rich and Hanley back into the midfield. Man claye and Rich running it out of the back half of the field is pretty exciting. Both booming kicks I think they could become a formidable duo.
If it means Harwood gets relegated i'm all for it. Rich and Beams off the HBF will be jizz worthy.

Yeah I've thought for a while that he's our best small defender option. He'll be an excellent distributer out of the back half, but his challenge will be playing on the Ballantynes and Motlops of the world.
Gee CBeams, McStay and Cutler coming out of defence, maybe Rich and Hanley too. DBeams, Mayes, Taylor, Rockliff, Aish, Christensen and Green further up the field. A lot of great kicks in our team now.

Green Staker Martin
Robinson Close Zorco
Mayes Rockliff Hanley
Rich Clarke C Beams
Adcock Merrett Gardiner
Luenberger Beams Christensen
Bench; McStay Redden Taylor Aish

Emergencies: Robertson Cutler Paparone

Not sure if it's just me but I would prefer Robinson as half back and Claye as half-forward.

I think Robinsons poor skills would hurt down back whereas his tackling would be an asset forward.

Claye's goal kicking from 50 is elite though.

Poor kicks and/or decision makers are a liability across half back. If you kick poorly into the forward line, chances are your structures are set up well enough to deal with any rebounding opportunity. But if you turn the ball over in the back half, you are virtually handing the opposition a scoring opportunity.

Ulltimately, the goal is to limit the number of poor kicks in your side. But if you are going to play medium/small types whose kicking is not reliable, then it is best to play them as a real in and under or forward of centre.

Gone are the days when the least skilled players went to defence. The roles are pretty much reversed, with small forwards required to chase and harass like an old style back pocket and the defenders as the clever play makers.

Edit: I also think old style positions are largely obsolete. Luke Hodge is often seen as a back flanker when really his role is as a midfielder who sets up behind the contest but pushes right up as the situation requires. Jed often played the same role for us. The reverse applies to a Lewy Taylor type when it comes to forward play.

Claye's goal kicking from 50 is elite though.
I think the advantage of playing half back is that you still get those opportunities. With the forward press, your half backs push right up to about the 50m mark anyway.

Poor kicks and/or decision makers are a liability across half back. If you kick poorly into the forward line, chances are your structures are set up well enough to deal with any rebounding opportunity. But if you turn the ball over in the back half, you are virtually handing the opposition a scoring opportunity.

Ulltimately, the goal is to limit the number of poor kicks in your side. But if you are going to play medium/small types whose kicking is not reliable, then it is best to play them as a real in and under or forward of centre.

Gone are the days when the least skilled players went to defence. The roles are pretty much reversed, with small forwards required to chase and harass like an old style back pocket and the defenders as the clever play makers.

Edit: I also think old style positions are largely obsolete. Luke Hodge is often seen as a back flanker when really his role is as a midfielder who sets up behind the contest but pushes right up as the situation requires. Jed often played the same role for us. The reverse applies to a Lewy Taylor type when it comes to forward play.
Would love Rich to play as that role for us next season. Rocky played a similar role for us this season but was a bit more inside than Hodge.

Green Staker Martin
Robinson Close Zorco
Mayes Rockliff Hanley
Rich Clarke C Beams
Adcock Merrett Gardiner
Luenberger Beams Christensen
Bench; McStay Redden Taylor Aish

Emergencies: Robertson Cutler Paparone
Not a bad side. Personally, I don't think we'll see Martin/Leuenberger play as forwards. Maybe swap Martin and McStay with Martin joining the midfield rotations and giving Berg a rest in the ruck. I like the rest of the team set up though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back