Toast Pick #19: Welcome to Carlton Blaine Boekhorst

Remove this Banner Ad

So, apparently coaching staff happy, recruiters happy, some Bigfooty 'experts' doubtful. And the verdict is...
Unlike with most draftees we should know a lot more at the end of next season. He doesn't have to star but I'm guessing we expect he'll play more games than not.

Love reading the opinions of people whose credibility on draft prospects is wholly encapsulated by a skim read of a few phantom drafts. "Should have got Laverde" "who is he! What a reach" "alliterative first and surname, spud, delist, disembowel" etc.

Now, I think the people that write phantoms are legends - gives us a good idea of what each player is like, and they are very kind in taking the time to pass on their thoughts. HOWEVER, I will take the word of a single AFL recruiter over any Bigfooty or Media draft "expert". So if the CFC recruiting staff rated Boekhorst there, so be it, I am happy to back them in.

Every year goes by and there are countless BF rated players who "fall" in the actual draft - the one selected by actual professional recruiters who are kinda good at this caper - and people lose their mind if their club picks up someone who went #42 in the BF Phantom when #11 and #37 were available. Consistently, these concerns amount to nothing.

Anyone remember Julian Dobosz from a couple of years ago? Key forward from Tassie who got plenty of hype on BF. Come the draft...not picked. PSD/rookie..not picked. In fact, can anyone in Tassie please go check on him to make sure he's still alive? Because I haven't heard a single word about him in 2 years.

My point being that whilst these phantom drafts and media articles are a nice guide and give you a pretty decent idea of what you're getting, take them with several sachets of salt. I love reading the Carlton FB page comments, because you immediately know who the BF posters are. "Hughes should be sakced, y da hell didn't we get Leroy Jetta at 17? Y didn't we get Laverde n Goddard @ 19?!!!"

I love it even more because the underlying assumption is that their 5-10 minutes of reading BF profiles elevates their authority on draftees beyond that of an AFL club's recruiting department. What do they think? Rodgers will be skimming over the comments and suddenly be like "oh sheeeet, Laverde, he was still THERE? Argh that really annoys me, good call to you Trevor from Facebook, because somehow over the last several YEARS of scouting these players every single member of our recruiting department, despite watching hours and hours of tapes and attending game after game, we somehow completely overlooked Player X (who will this year be Laverde) and were duped into selecting someone else. Dang. There's always 2015."

Just kick back and enjoy the ride. Rogers seems to have started strongly and I am comfortable with the club's general direction with regards to recruiting and development. Ergo, I will reserve judgment for the next 2-3 years (or more) and be quietly optimistic in the interim.

Love reading the lack of opinions of people who year after year tow the company line using the same stock statements every time such as "professional recruiters", "give the kids a chance", "can't judge a draft until years later" and trotting out the same tired lines about not relying on amateur draft watchers and their phantom drafts.

Truth is that supporters are only reacting this way because they have absolutely no faith whatsoever in our drafting team. I can't think of a single year in our clubs history that I can point to and say "that's a good draft, we did well there". Most supporters aren't stupid, they notice the same thing and they worry. They love our club and they know it's being handicapped in a very important area.

So roll your eyes all you want at all the Trevors from Facebook, and you might be right about them taking phantom drafts too seriously, but you're just as deserving of a bit of eye rolling yourself when you put blind faith in "professionals" despite ongoing evidence that your faith is misguided.

And guys, I'm not posting this to start an argument about our recently drafted players. Save your breath because I won't criticise young Carlton players who are doing their best, and I remain a fan of players who put on our jumper.

I also am not suggesting that we should've taken Laverde over Boekhorst. I'm not on that bandwagon. Boekhorst has my full support and coulda, woulda, shoulda isn't my style.

I just can't sit by and let the old tired defences and misguided loyalty prop up a failed system any longer. It's gone on far too long, and any professional who had a track history like our recruitment team would be in serious trouble in any industry.

crying-baby.jpg

We looked very slow this year. Our needs basis was to draft speed into the side and that's what we did. Rogers said all along we need outside run with run and carry to help the likes of yarran, walker, buckley to help boost that up and rogers stuck to his plan. Who cares what the so called experts say stuff them.
Btw who needs laverde when we already got menzel ;)

Interesting comment from Boekhorst:

"I spoke with Carlton a little bit in the lead-up to the draft and had an interview with them but I didn't think 19 would be the pick," he said.
"I was hoping to go around 30-odd, that's where the clubs I spoke with said they had me, so going 19 is a miracle, it's unbelievable."

To me, that said CFC played their cards close and others were interested. 28 may have been a possibility though?? Just saying.

At least that puts to rest any notions that he would have slipped to the 5th round/rookie draft. Plays the game with real confidence and loves to take opposition players on, real difference to Lucas who is relatively meek by comparison. He and Yarran will be real handfuls at Subi over the next few years.

I reckon once you get to the end of the first round it already becomes pretty speculative. As for his age, injuries permitting you get 12 or so years out of him rather than the 15 you'd hope to get from a 17/18 year old, big deal. Taking a mature age WAFL small forward at 21 in 2008 was derided by every man and his dog but it worked out pretty ok for us in the end; don't reckon that is a serious point of contention at all. Comparisons to Hawthorn's Smith don't seem overly ambitious either.

FWIW I still think Bootsma will eventually return to AFL and become a very handy player so feel free to dismiss my thoughts as the ramblings of a lunatic :thumbsu:

Truth is that supporters are only reacting this way because they have absolutely no faith whatsoever in our drafting team. I can't think of a single year in our clubs history that I can point to and say "that's a good draft, we did well there". Most supporters aren't stupid, they notice the same thing and they worry. They love our club and they know it's being handicapped in a very important area.

Truth is then that most supporters don't know we have a very different recruiting team and network to what we did in the Ratten era.
What would the difference be if SOS, Wells and Wright did the selections on Thursday night? Is it the recruiting team or the club we don't have faith in?

The one thing that does stand out is that we've been seen to reach for players in the past two years and they both happen to be W.A. boys.
I know that he's only played 3 games but I don't see Cripps as a reach any more. Look forward to saying the same of Boekhorst soon enough.

The great thing about Blaine is he is 21 years old. We don't have to sit around like we normally do and hear the same old story about "he is developing"; "with a couple of years out of TAC he will fill out and be a gun". In two years, Blaine is 23. Bar any serious injuries, we will know if he and Rodgers did a good job or if both are spuds. I'm hoping like hell he is the gun that we have been told. Because we cannot just keep going with these constant draft screw ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Truth is then that most supporters don't know we have a very different recruiting team and network to what we did in the Ratten era.
What would the difference be if SOS, Wells and Wright did the selections on Thursday night? Is it the recruiting team or the club we don't have faith in?

The one thing that does stand out is that we've been seen to reach for players in the past two years and they both happen to be W.A. boys.
I know that he's only played 3 games but I don't see Cripps as a reach any more. Look forward to saying the same of Boekhorst soon enough.
Well Rogers was a key man in both set ups wasn't he? Is it very different? Genuinely don't know.

The Temay delisting looks bad but to this point history is showing 12 to be a horribly shallow draft beyond 20 or so. Personally I think Graham is still line ball to make it but he absolutely looks like the right pick at 54.

If Menzel continues to build into more than a burst player and Cripps forces his way into the midfield I think a bit of that discontent will disappear. If Boekhorst comes on we may well nailed three in a row with later first round picks.

Truth is that supporters are only reacting this way because they have absolutely no faith whatsoever in our drafting team.

Another truth is that the people ardently defending the club's recruiting must themselves, on some level, have some doubts about our recruiting. If the outcry about our recruiting truly was baseless idiocy, then our recruiters wouldn't need defending. The criticism could easily just be dismissed or ignored. Some of the criticism has been a bit extreme, but that doesn't mean there isn't an element of truth at its core. If it was all ridiculous bs then nobody would feel the need to say otherwise.

Anyway...

I'm first to admit I was annoyed initially, but it's time to move on from it. BB is down at the club and suited up and it's a positive noise at the moment. We've had our opportunity to voice our displeasure, and I'm sure the club has heard it. Any further wailing and gnashing of teeth is just flogging a dead horse, and counter-productive at this stage. Here's to BB making a big impact in 2015!!

Love reading the lack of opinions of people who year after year tow the company line using the same stock statements every time such as "professional recruiters", "give the kids a chance", "can't judge a draft until years later" and trotting out the same tired lines about not relying on amateur draft watchers and their phantom drafts.

So roll your eyes all you want at all the Trevors from Facebook, and you might be right about them taking phantom drafts too seriously, but you're just as deserving of a bit of eye rolling yourself when you put blind faith in "professionals" despite ongoing evidence that your faith is misguided.

And guys, I'm not posting this to start an argument about our recently drafted players. Save your breath because I won't criticise young Carlton players who are doing their best, and I remain a fan of players who put on our jumper.

I also am not suggesting that we should've taken Laverde over Boekhorst. I'm not on that bandwagon. Boekhorst has my full support and coulda, woulda, shoulda isn't my style.

I just can't sit by and let the old tired defences and misguided loyalty prop up a failed system any longer. It's gone on far too long, and any professional who had a track history like our recruitment team would be in serious trouble in any industry.
Haha. Is that you, Trev? Sorry for singling you out mate. You're alright.

Your first paragraph gives you away. "The same old lines like 'give the kids a chance', 'can't judge a draft until years later'" - you mention them as though they have been shown to be empty rhetoric - yet they are perfectly logical and reasonable things to say. Do you disagree with them or something? Because after you brought them up as some form of counter-argument, but never elaborated on why they are unreasonable or worthy of being referred to as "same old lines".

You'd also do well to find someone more frustrated with our recruiting, development and - er - everything about the club over the last 10 years, than myself. However, I think you might have missed the part where Wayne Hughes was actually sacked and Shane Rogers took over. His first year in charge, whilst still early to call, looks promising.

So where's my blind faith or loyalty? They literally fired the old head recruiter (I imagine at this point you'll mention that Rogers worked under Hughes - so what? Hughes was the head, and to say Rogers' record is tarnished/his ability as a recruiter is negated by that is silly - not everyone involved in a subpar organisation is therefore individually subpar) and publicly acknowledged our recruiting stunk. What more do you want? I'm quite frankly perplexed by your final statement. Because yes, our record is diabolical. But it's a new recruiting department. What's your beef? Should we blame Rogers for everything that happened under Hughes? :confused:

Well Rogers was a key man in both set ups wasn't he? Is it very different? Genuinely don't know.

The Temay delisting looks bad but to this point history is showing 12 to be a horribly shallow draft beyond 20 or so. Personally I think Graham is still line ball to make it but he absolutely looks like the right pick at 54.

If Menzel continues to build into more than a burst player and Cripps forces his way into the midfield I think a bit of that discontent will disappear. If Boekhorst comes on we may well nailed three in a row with later first round picks.
Holman will have a break out year in 2015, I see the talent and necessary desire and mongrel to get there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back