Official Club Stuff Official Hawthorn Club Account on Big Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason HawksNest is more expensive isn't about the size of the orders they get. Rebel Sports wouldn't sell that much more than HawksNest to make the sell price different nor would they need to sell more. The club raises the price above others because they know that people will buy from them regardless of the price so that little bit extra is all about the profit and taking advantage of fan's loyalty (just like every other club).
Rebel have big stores all over Australia and New Zealand. They also have an online store. This is compared to Hawksnest which has 2 small stores and an online store. Rebel can and do buy these type of products in much larger quantities and with all the other unrelated stuff they sell at higher prices they can then sell AFL club gear at better prices.

They could sell the club media polo for $45, the average price for an Adidas climalite polo, and they will still make a profit. $90 for a polo is not because of the 'lack' of supply they buy. Look at small sport shops and the prices they charge.
The climalite polo is a generic design that they can mass produce on a far larger scale. An AFL club polo is not. Hence the price. There is also likely a licensing fee involved that sees a cut go to the AFL so that further raises the cost.

The "money goes to the club so you're supporting your club" is such a winner for the marketing team. You're already supporting your club quite substantially when they're raising membership prices 5% despite already making a $3m+ profit and giving you absolutely nothing for that 5% raise. They just won't ever make you aware of it. They also won't tell you that no matter where you buy it, you're still benefiting your club. Shhh, that one's a secret.
If you don't like it then don't buy it. Any business or organisation that wants to continue to operate or even plain exist in a competitive market place needs to be pushing the line as to what they charge for their product. Eventually they may push too hard and their customers will stop buying. At which point they'll need to lower their entry price to get those customers back. Kicking and screaming about it while still continuing to pay for it every year isn't going to work.

Rebel have big stores all over Australia and New Zealand. They also have an online store. This is compared to Hawksnest which has 2 small stores and an online store. Rebel can and do buy these type of products in much larger quantities and with all the other unrelated stuff they sell at higher prices they can then sell AFL club gear at better prices.
Just because they can, doesn't mean they do. They don't. If they need more, they contact Adidas for more.

The climalite polo is a generic design that they can mass produce on a far larger scale. An AFL club polo is not. Hence the price. There is also likely a licensing fee involved that sees a cut go to the AFL so that further raises the cost.
The club media polos are climalite. They would make just as many club ones as they would 'generic' ones.

If you don't like it then don't buy it. Any business or organisation that wants to continue to operate or even plain exist in a competitive market place needs to be pushing the line as to what they charge for their product. Eventually they may push too hard and their customers will stop buying. At which point they'll need to lower their entry price to get those customers back. Kicking and screaming about it while still continuing to pay for it every year isn't going to work.
I won't be buying it.
This is the thing. People will pay it and the club knows it so they charge double what they should be charging when they don't need to. They just want to because it's easier to make money of unsuspecting people than it is by making risky business decisions. They also know that people won't fight it because they will be scared that if people scream loud enough, they will be branded as unfaithful, or a bandwagoner or the sort. They also know they can do all this and get away with it because people get sick of talking to a proverbial brick wall and thus the club just takes in the onslaught of legit complaints, does nothing and then proceeds to charges more. Rinse and repeat.

When was the last time the club actually did something out of the ordinary that was of benefit to the members and of no benefit to the club?

The club from a football point of view is impeccably run, from a business it's well run, but from a customer service point of view it's shocking because they know they can get away with that level of service despite what they will say. Actions speak louder than words. To them it goes Profit, profit, rich members, profit, daylight, members, daylight, fans.

This is just me venting. It's no good telling the club, they don't care.

I won't be buying it.

Jesus wept. They will charge what the market will bear. People have clearly being willing to pay a premium for the HFC insignia.

Just because they can, doesn't mean they do. They don't. If they need more, they contact Adidas for more.
Big merchants like Rebel have very good data on how much they sell of each item every year and the trends they take. They would have deals with suppliers for a certain amount of each type of product each year. The fact they can and will sell more gives them greater bargaining power. Hawksnest is a mum and pop operation in comparison.

The club media polos are climalite. They would make just as many club ones as they would 'generic' ones.
I realise that. The cut is the same but the styling and logos are different. It's not as simple as changing the colour on a computer and hitting 'make shirt'. The costs add up for the Hawks custom design and Adidas won't sell as many of the Hawks version than they will the generics.

If you can attend the AGM I'd encourage you to raise your concerns there. Even if the board don't listen you might effect the thinking of others there and plant the seed of change for the future.

Geez people find crap to whinge about. Here's my suggestions.

1. Don't like merchandise with navy in it, don't buy it. It's not like it's a new thing, I have a jacket and a zip up top that are both navy with gold stripes and brown trim, with current logo, so no older than 2008.

2. Don't want to pay 5% more for membership, don't renew. You don't think you get value, try telling that to st Kilda fans. Money the club makes is invested in the football department, and I'd say they are doing a pretty good job there.

3. Can get a jumper or polo cheaper online or at rebel. Buy it. Save your dollars. Or pay more and get it for the club. The choice is yours. Rebel sport probably spend many more millions of dollars with Adidas than we do, sat da to reason they may access cheaper prices. Also rme ever that retailers like rebel will discount key items to bring in business. They know Hawks fans are looking for merchadise. Sell a jumper a bit cheaper, and while fan is there buying it, flog the. A hat, footy and a cricket bat for the kids christmas stocking.

4. Don't beleive your emails get read? Try it. Write to the president and request a response. I bet most have never tried. I have always receive excellent responses from the club on both negative and positive feedback.

5. Be happy FFS. We just won back to back flags, and you are spending your time sooking on the colour of a shirt that no one has to buy / wear. Get a grip, watch the replay and get on with life.

Hi HFC Official,

Just wondering when the 2015 Guernsey with the Gold Premiers logo will be available?

Will it have any mention of Back to Back? Or will it simply be "Premiers 2014"?

Have a look on fangear.com $49.99, dunno about getting numbers on them though...

I won't be buying it.
This is the thing. People will pay it and the club knows it so they charge double what they should be charging when they don't need to. They just want to because it's easier to make money of unsuspecting people than it is by making risky business decisions. They also know that people won't fight it because they will be scared that if people scream loud enough, they will be branded as unfaithful, or a bandwagoner or the sort. They also know they can do all this and get away with it because people get sick of talking to a proverbial brick wall and thus the club just takes in the onslaught of legit complaints, does nothing and then proceeds to charges more. Rinse and repeat.

When was the last time the club actually did something out of the ordinary that was of benefit to the members and of no benefit to the club?

The club from a football point of view is impeccably run, from a business it's well run, but from a customer service point of view it's shocking because they know they can get away with that level of service despite what they will say. Actions speak louder than words. To them it goes Profit, profit, rich members, profit, daylight, members, daylight, fans.

Wow, its all about you, how simple minded and selfish can you get?
The big bad club hates you!

Just keep on complaining, mate, I'm sure you're dreams will come true!
;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still waiting on mine. I'm hoping it isn't the 4th consecutive year I have to follow up the club for a copy.

Well MB mine arrived in WA today so unless it's coming by boat you may need to follow it up

Seems like it. Been a gold/Kennedy member for years now but still have to make a call to get a copy of hawk talk every year.
Wow, even I've got mine already! That's really odd. :confused:

Have a look on fangear.com $49.99, dunno about getting numbers on them though...
That's the 2014 one.

Hi HFC Official,

I noticed my interstate membership (QLD) has gone up about 20% to $145. I'm happy to continue to support the club but I'm a little confused as to why the Long distance regional victoria membership for those 120km out of Melbourne pay $120.

Seemingly I could live just beyond Ballarat and get gate entry to 5 games for less than what I pay for zero games.

Doesn't make sense. I think it needs to be reviewed. I know your trying to sell value but I think entry to 5 home games is too much. I'd much prefer 1 or 2 premium seats rather than 5 general admission seats. After all I wouldn' t have thought that many interstate members would travel to Melbourne 5 times a year. In the football season that's once a month.

I know this has been done to death, but can you give us QLD'ers any hope that there will be any future games up here, or is it likely that we have to wait for the Tasmanian deal to cease at the conclusion of the 2016 season?

There have been no brisbane games since 2008, and two Gold Coast games in both 2011 and 2014.

2009, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015 no games whatsoever.

I assume the price of the Interstate membership would have something to do with priority access for Grand Finals?
Dont think it would be that, my Interstate Silver is around $220 or something...

Hi HFC official,

Can someone please answer why don't we have a father son academy. With the kids of fathers who has played 100 games with us coming down and doing clinic's during the school holidays,and pre season and during the week in season it could be set up like the northern states academies. It would improve the kids that come through seeing we have first dips on them.

Last edited:
Hi HFC Official,

I noticed my interstate membership (QLD) has gone up about 20% to $145. I'm happy to continue to support the club but I'm a little confused as to why the Long distance regional victoria membership for those 120km out of Melbourne pay $120.

Seemingly I could live just beyond Ballarat and get gate entry to 5 games for less than what I pay for zero games.

Doesn't make sense. I think it needs to be reviewed. I know your trying to sell value but I think entry to 5 home games is too much. I'd much prefer 1 or 2 premium seats rather than 5 general admission seats. After all I wouldn' t have thought that many interstate members would travel to Melbourne 5 times a year. In the football season that's once a month.

I know this has been done to death, but can you give us QLD'ers any hope that there will be any future games up here, or is it likely that we have to wait for the Tasmanian deal to cease at the conclusion of the 2016 season?

There have been no brisbane games since 2008, and two Gold Coast games in both 2011 and 2014.

2009, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015 no games whatsoever.

Hi Hawksinspired,

Thanks for your question.

The pricing of the interstate membership was done so before the 2015 fixture was released. The main reason for the price increase is due to the rising costs of interstate ticketing, where members are provided with a complimentary ticket as part of their membership for one game played in their state. The tickets the Club are allocated for interstate games by the home team are in the Premium categories of tickets which incurs a significant cost.

As we have no game in Queensland in 2015, we understand that the large increase seems pretty steep. All Queensland interstate members do have the option of applying for one of the games in Sydney (or Adelaide or Perth) instead if they'd like, otherwise if you are looking for a reduced game membership, we are more than happy to amend your membership to the 3-game alternative. Then if we are scheduled a game in Queensland in 2016, you can change your membership type back to the Interstate version. The only differences between the Interstate membership and the 3-game membership are the amount of games you can attend (5 to 3) and the access to a game in your state. This was all considered in the price increase of the Interstate membership so those who can't or choose not to attend a game in their state and want to keep supporting the Club through membership have an alternative at a much cheaper price.

The Club and in particular our CEO are well aware of the recent scheduling of Hawthorn games in Queensland. Stuart Fox has made this known to the AFL. We can't make any promises that we will receive a game in Queensland in 2016 but so you are aware, he has been in contact with the AFL about it. The fixturing of our interstate matches is in no way related to our Tasmanian deal.

Thanks,
HFC Official

Hi HFC official,

Can someone please answer why don't we have a father son academy. With the kids of fathers who has played 100 games with us coming down and doing clinic's during the school holidays,and pre season and during the week in season it could be set up like the northern states academies. It would improve the kids that come through seeing we have first dips on them.

Hi mustang,

The Club is not allowed to provide any kind of coaching, training etc to prospective players as part of rules defined by the AFL. The only exception to this is when players are allocated to train at the Club as part of the AIS/AFL Talent Pathways program.

The Clubs in the northern states have been given approval by the AFL to run their academies which is why they are entitled to do so.

Thanks,
HFC Official

There are two teams in South Australia, Western Australia, New South Wales and Queensland. What is so hard about structuring an interstate membership around access to a maximum of two interstate games? This would satisfy the majority of interstate members.

I don't know why a Brisbane supporter would apply for the Perth or Adelaide game when the chances are nil and none of getting one. As for them being premium tickets, I'm afraid I don't buy that as here in Perth they are behind the goals looking directly into the sun (and before anyone decides to have a go and criticise me because I dare have an opinion in a grand final year, I'm well aware that's out of the clubs control)

The three game membership does sound like a better alternative but it will now have to be the following season as I have already paid for 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back