Official Club Stuff Official Hawthorn Club Account on Big Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear Hawthorn Footy Club,

Can someone please enlighten me as to why the AFL continue to ignore its Queensland Hawks fan base? I for one will be cancelling my daughters membership and winding my own down to a minimum. 2 games in 7 years in QLD is pathetic. Both games at Gold Coast and one of the games Hawthorn as a club insulted us by sending a B team.

Looking forward to your reply.

Very upset QLD based Hawthorn fan!

Hi Gunstall555,

Thanks for your question above. We are certainly aware of the fact that the Club hasn't played a game in Brisbane since 2008 which is a shame for our members and supporters in Queensland. The support in Queensland has clearly been evident when the Club played on the Gold Coast in 2011, pre-season in 2013 and in 2014 plus the support at the Brisbane leg of the Premiership Cup Tour in the last two years.

The scheduling of the fixture each season is completely controlled by the AFL. The Club has the opportunity to submit requests for our home matches to the AFL but even then these are only requests and not always fulfilled by the AFL. For away and interstate games the Club don't have any choice in where we are scheduled and are at the discretion of where the AFL fixture us.

We understand that this is becoming increasingly frustrating for our fans in Queensland but we hope that you can stick with us and hopefully our GABBA drought is broken in 2016. In 2012 and 2013, the Club offered Queensland fans with the opportunity to apply for a ticket in the Club's allocation for matches in Sydney so if that was something that you'd be interested in then please email the Membership department at membership@hawthornfc.com.au

Thanks,
HFC Official

^ Good response. Glad to hear it's the fault of the AFL and not the club. Also good to hear that there are attempts to provide some benefit to the QLD members.

None the less still pretty frustrating for those members though.

HFC Official,

Next year marks the second time in three seasons that we've been scheduled in an Ethiad Stadium home game. This will now probably become the norm as North shift matches to Hobart, St Kilda to NZ and Carlton from Ethiad to the MCG

Has the club started looking at securing reserve seating for MCG ticket holders at the venue? If this becomes the norm will the club look to the Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton model where members are allocated / can choose seats from an MCG and Ethiad Stadium venue map?

Hi Gunstall555,

Thanks for your question above. We are certainly aware of the fact that the Club hasn't played a game in Brisbane since 2008 which is a shame for our members and supporters in Queensland. The support in Queensland has clearly been evident when the Club played on the Gold Coast in 2011, pre-season in 2013 and in 2014 plus the support at the Brisbane leg of the Premiership Cup Tour in the last two years.

The scheduling of the fixture each season is completely controlled by the AFL. The Club has the opportunity to submit requests for our home matches to the AFL but even then these are only requests and not always fulfilled by the AFL. For away and interstate games the Club don't have any choice in where we are scheduled and are at the discretion of where the AFL fixture us.

We understand that this is becoming increasingly frustrating for our fans in Queensland but we hope that you can stick with us and hopefully our GABBA drought is broken in 2016. In 2012 and 2013, the Club offered Queensland fans with the opportunity to apply for a ticket in the Club's allocation for matches in Sydney so if that was something that you'd be interested in then please email the Membership department at membership@hawthornfc.com.au

Thanks,
HFC Official
Hi HFC Official,

Thank you for the speedy reply. I know the AFL is 98% responsible for the draw, but I would have like to see Hawthorn when submitting feedback regarding the draw raise the fact that in recent times there have been very few matches scheduled in QLD.

Regarding your comments about our matches on the Gold Coast, 2011 was a farce when Hawthorn as a club sent their B team up - I'm not sure if you have attended a match on the Gold Coast personally, but both parking and public transport infrastructure are poor for this venue. Add on top of this the travel time from Brisbane and I simply chose not to go. It would have been a different story had our best team been selected.

The 2013 pre-season NAB cup challenge was a joke. More people attended the game than what was planned, I got to the ground early but still had to park over 2km away and walk for almost half an hour to get to the ground. Virtually no food stalls were open and overall the event was poorly planned by the AFL. I certainly wouldn't be advertising this as a success for bringing our club to QLD - though this is completely the fault of the AFL.

I think it was 2010 the AFL scheduled a preseason game against the Lions at Southport. I failed to see the logic in this. I went to the match again got there early and again had to park an age away from the ground. It was nice to see Taylor Duryea make his first team debut that day however. Why the game couldn't be played in Brisbane somewhere I have no idea.

For the replacement game in Sydney, will we get a choice of what game as there are two games in NSW if we choose to apply?

Apologies if I have come across as too aggressive or upset, but naturally I am upset that once again we have been snubbed up here in QLD and this really does take away any value in purchasing a club membership.

I would like to however thank the club for the premiership cup tour - it was a great evening. Any chance the cups can come up again when the team do their preseason training camp on the Sunshine Coast?

Just spit balling here but given the lack of QLD games is an AFL issue perhaps the club could provide extra value to QLD members (and this could apply to all interstate members) where by if there are no games scheduled during the H&A season in a members home state and they don't otherwise utilize their membership for games outside of their state (not everyone can afford the travel expenses or time to go interstate) that they will then be reimbursed a certain percentage of their membership in the form of Hawks Nest gift vouchers for them to spend on whatever they like in the Hawks Nest store. That way at the very least interstate members who don't get the opportunity to see their team play won't necessarily feel like their membership is just money for fresh air and the money still stays in the clubs hands.

HFC Official,

Next year marks the second time in three seasons that we've been scheduled in an Ethiad Stadium home game. This will now probably become the norm as North shift matches to Hobart, St Kilda to NZ and Carlton from Ethiad to the MCG

Has the club started looking at securing reserve seating for MCG ticket holders at the venue? If this becomes the norm will the club look to the Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton model where members are allocated / can choose seats from an MCG and Ethiad Stadium venue map?

I don't understand why this isn't already a thing... are there equivalent numbers of seats per bay? Would you be able to simply reallocate bays. Sure some people may be moved levels etc... but it's only for one game.

HFC Official,

Hi Hawkk,

As mentioned in a previous post, the Club will confirm the process for members to secure a reserved seat for the Etihad Stadium home game in early 2015.

As mentioned by ouyr CEO Stuart Fox yesterday, the Club would prefer to play all our home games in Melbourne at the MCG and will continue to push for this year after year.

We'll certainly take your feedback on board and if we have to play more games at Etihad Stadium in future then we'll certainly look into that model.

Thanks,
HFC Official

Hi HFC Official,

Thank you for the speedy reply. I know the AFL is 98% responsible for the draw, but I would have like to see Hawthorn when submitting feedback regarding the draw raise the fact that in recent times there have been very few matches scheduled in QLD.

Regarding your comments about our matches on the Gold Coast, 2011 was a farce when Hawthorn as a club sent their B team up - I'm not sure if you have attended a match on the Gold Coast personally, but both parking and public transport infrastructure are poor for this venue. Add on top of this the travel time from Brisbane and I simply chose not to go. It would have been a different story had our best team been selected.

The 2013 pre-season NAB cup challenge was a joke. More people attended the game than what was planned, I got to the ground early but still had to park over 2km away and walk for almost half an hour to get to the ground. Virtually no food stalls were open and overall the event was poorly planned by the AFL. I certainly wouldn't be advertising this as a success for bringing our club to QLD - though this is completely the fault of the AFL.

I think it was 2010 the AFL scheduled a preseason game against the Lions at Southport. I failed to see the logic in this. I went to the match again got there early and again had to park an age away from the ground. It was nice to see Taylor Duryea make his first team debut that day however. Why the game couldn't be played in Brisbane somewhere I have no idea.

For the replacement game in Sydney, will we get a choice of what game as there are two games in NSW if we choose to apply?

Apologies if I have come across as too aggressive or upset, but naturally I am upset that once again we have been snubbed up here in QLD and this really does take away any value in purchasing a club membership.

I would like to however thank the club for the premiership cup tour - it was a great evening. Any chance the cups can come up again when the team do their preseason training camp on the Sunshine Coast?

Thanks Gunstall555. You don't need to apologise for having an opinion on something. We understand your frustrations and appreciate the feedback.

Firstly, the AFL are certainly aware of the fact that we haven't played in Brisbane since 2008. I have been up to the Gold Coast on a couple of occasions and while the venue is a great place to watch footy, the venue are well aware of the issues that are present in terms of transportation and logistics for fans to and from the venue. For our Round 4 match last year Metricon Stadium were very proactive in providing information for our fans in the best ways to get to/from the venue.

Regarding the 2011 match you have mentioned, the selection of the team was in no way meant to insult our Queensland fans, it was done with the first week of the Finals Series in mind.

You are more than welcome to apply for either of the two games in Sydney. Although you and other fans in NSW/ACT will need to be mindful that we only have a limited amount of tickets for each game and that if more people apply for the Sydney game than we get tickets, a ballot system may be required.

No problem about the Cup Tour either. It has been great to get around Australia again to meet our Fans. Unfortunately the Cups won't be in attendance for the pre-season camp.

Thanks,
HFC Official

Hi HFL Official

Just wanted to say thanks for the opportunity to have a photo with my boys on the weekend in Adelaide at Club Marion

I have to say it was worth the 3 hour wait in line & was good to chat to some fellow Hawks fans

See you again next year (hopefully)

HI HFC Official

Just checking in on the status of the end of season Hawk Talk Mag and whether it's been distributed yet. Despite being a Kennedy Club member I always seem to miss the mail out and have to follow up the club for a copy. Have I missed it again this year or have they not gone out yet?

Thanks

Hi HFL Official

Just wanted to say thanks for the opportunity to have a photo with my boys on the weekend in Adelaide at Club Marion

I have to say it was worth the 3 hour wait in line & was good to chat to some fellow Hawks fans

See you again next year (hopefully)

No problem at all Satchel. We're glad you enjoyed the day and the chance to get a photo with the Cups.

Cheers,
HFC Official

HI HFC Official

Just checking in on the status of the end of season Hawk Talk Mag and whether it's been distributed yet. Despite being a Kennedy Club member I always seem to miss the mail out and have to follow up the club for a copy. Have I missed it again this year or have they not gone out yet?

Thanks

Hi MinerBoy,

No you haven't missed it. The HawkTalk 2014 yearbook is due to hit households in the next week or so.

If you haven't received it in the next few weeks, send the Membership department an email (membership@hawthornfc.com.au) with all of your details and they can send one to you.

Thanks,
HFC Official

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi HFC Official

I am curious as to when Hawthorns colours changed from Brown and Gold to Navy Blue, Grey and a band of yellow. I am extremely disappointed in the decision of the merchandise department to return to the 1990's and provide us with brand name merchandise that is not Hawthorns true colours. Is it possible to have the entire 2015 Addidas branded products returned to Addidas and remind them that we are Hawthorn and our colours are Brown and Gold - I wont be purchasing the 2015 merchandise if is it not Brown and Gold

Thanks

Hi HFC Official

I am curious as to when Hawthorns colours changed from Brown and Gold to Navy Blue, Grey and a band of yellow. I am extremely disappointed in the decision of the merchandise department to return to the 1990's and provide us with brand name merchandise that is not Hawthorns true colours. Is it possible to have the entire 2015 Addidas branded products returned to Addidas and remind them that we are Hawthorn and our colours are Brown and Gold - I wont be purchasing the 2015 merchandise if is it not Brown and Gold

Thanks
It was the clubs decision to go to the blue.

Looks atrocious and there is no one in this world who is a passionate Hawthorn supporter who would agree that blue is the way to go. The choice to go back to the blue has been wanted by the club for over a decade and would have been the case if it wasn't for probably the most passionate and dedicated supporter at Hawthorn.

With things like this, you need to remember it's a company and not a football club.

Last edited:
Hi HFC Official

Thanks
And what's with the 2015 guernsey having the stripes stop just short of the top of the shoulder? Feels like it's been changed simply for the sake of differentiating it from 2014 and to sell more of them. I reckon the 2014 design was pretty close to perfect as is.

And what's with the 2015 guernsey having the stripes stop just short of the top of the shoulder? Feels like it's been changed simply for the sake of differentiating it from 2014 and to sell more of them. I reckon the 2014 design was pretty close to perfect as is.

I only just noticed that, god it looks stupid.

Will not buy.

and still cannot add numbers via the website !!!

It was the clubs decision to go to the blue.

Looks atrocious and there is no one in this world who is a passionate Hawthorn supporter who would agree that blue is the way to go. The choice to go back to the blue has been wanted by the club for over a decade and would have been the case if it wasn't for probably the most passionate and dedicated supporter at Hawthorn.

With things like this, you need to remember it's a company and not a football club.

I understand that the AFL is now a professional business and they need to drive the dollar further but our colours are Brown and Gold. We are not Carlton, Geelong or West Coast Eagles - all teams that use blue or variant darker shades of blue. Living in Perth we wear our colours with pride - we are not West Coast Eagles however with this new media range it looks like we are - I will continue to wear my 2014 Media Polo with pride and I will refuse to purchase this new top as it is NOT HAWTHORN

I understand that the AFL is now a professional business and they need to drive the dollar further but our colours are Brown and Gold. We are not Carlton, Geelong or West Coast Eagles - all teams that use blue or variant darker shades of blue. Living in Perth we wear our colours with pride - we are not West Coast Eagles however with this new media range it looks like we are - I will continue to wear my 2014 Media Polo with pride and I will refuse to purchase this new top as it is NOT HAWTHORN
Talk to the curator of the Hawks museum, Peter Haby, and he will fill you in on how the club has continually tried to change back to the blue supporters gear and who it was that saved the brown and gold merchandise and how he did it.

Doesn't matter who you contact about it, all you will get is a company PR line. I mean look at the piss weak crap they spewed out to try and make it seem like a good idea.

the biggest and most exciting update to the range this season is the new colour direction with Night Navy coming through with a fresh look and feel. We will push the difference in the lifestyle element and hold up the club’s traditional brown and gold for the on-field battle.

A thin HOOP of yellow, or a brown HOOP (not a stripe) that looks like someone put duct tape on your polo is "hold[ing] up the club's traditional brown and gold..." then you know the club doesn't care about the colours.

*cha-ching*

The whole Night Navy argument to me reeks of an identity issue...

Thing is, nothing stands out more in the crowd than the GOLD and brown of the Hawthorn colours. Say what you like about the combination but we stand out more than any other club...often its very difficult to distinguish between Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond and Geelong fans (all predominately black or blue) but as the only club with a predominantly light colour scheme, you can never mistake a Hawthorn fan in the crowd - in each of Clarkson's premiership winning speeches he has made a concerted effort to make reference to the gold presence in the crowd. This more than anything else makes the push to promote Night Navy all the more puzzling...

Our colours are our uniqueness, the uniqueness that belongs to Hawthorn and we should be embracing what differs us from the rest rather than seeking to conform to what is the bland, dare I say it corporatised norm.

Rather than running away from our colours we should be embracing them...and this in my view should be reflected in all our merchandise. That's my view from the cheap seats anyway...

Last edited:
The whole Night Navy argument to me reeks of an identity issue...

Thing is, nothing stands out more in the crowd than the GOLD and brown of the Hawthorn colours. Say what you like about the combination but we stand out more than any other club...often its very difficult to distinguish between Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond and Geelong fans (all predominately black or blue) but as the only club with a predominantly light colour scheme, you can never mistake a Hawthorn fan in the crowd - in each of Clarkson's premiership winning speeches he has made a concerted effort to make reference to the gold presence in the crowd. This more than anything else makes the push to promote Night Navy all the more puzzling...

Our colours are our uniqueness, the uniqueness that belongs to Hawthorn and we should be embracing what differs us from the rest rather than seeking to conform to what is the bland, dare I say it corporatised norm.

Rather than running away from our colours we should be embracing them...and this in my view should be reflected in all our merchandise. That's my view from the cheap seats anyway...

These are my thoughts exactly. Do they seriously think with our membership growing at rate of knots that potential members/supporters are put off by our colours? :confused: I love our colours, they have never seemed weird to me as I grew up with them (a bit like Christmas in summer seems normal to us Aussies even though most of the rest of the world thinks it's all wrong). I don't know any other team in the world that has our colours and I hate seeing them diluted in any way. I'm guessing when some young kid has the possibility of being drafted to Hawthorn that he's not going to knock us back because of our colours :rolleyes: Seriously, what are these marketing 'experts' on?

HI HFC Official

Sorry if this has already been brought up, just a question/query that you could pass onto HawksNes pleaset. I wandered into Rebel sport (Canberra) at lunchtime to check the sizings out of the Adidas 2014 Premiers gear. All good, a XL puma is now a L Adidas.

But then I looked at the price. $109 (including GST).
I sure would like that to go to the club, so logged onto Hawksnest, and the same guernsey is $132.45 (made up of gernsey $110.45, shipping $10.95, GST
$11.05).

Shipping I can live with but it sure does dissuade me purchasing the guernsey though the club. And this is all without adding player numbers, which dont seem to be available anymore...

...so why is there a price difference, and why cant we get player numbers added?

Hi HFC Official

Thanks

Hi hawker5,

Thanks for your enquiry and feedback into the Clubs new range of off-field and training apparel. In answer to you question, the Club's colours will always remain as brown and gold.

These new ranges of apparel have been introduced by the Club in collaboration with our major apparel partner adidas. The additions of night navy and grey has been done so with full support of the Club board and CEO to provide a fresh look and feel and to maintain with current global trends and styles. The Club has previously released off field and training apparel in colours different to brown and gold which has received some great feedback from fans.

If you have any additional feedback, please don't hesitate to contact HawksNest at hawksnest@hawthornfc.com.au

Thanks,
HFC Official

Remove this Banner Ad

Back