Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You can look at a few mm this way or that way in millions of incidents though. Many times where the actual result was good, but a few mm either way and the result was tragedy. Maybe even incidents that you were involved in yourself.

It's hard not to think of it that way after what happened, but it'll just eat you up inside if you keep thinking that way.

You can look at a few mm this way or that way in millions of incidents though. Many times where the actual result was good, but a few mm either way and the result was tragedy. Maybe even incidents that you were involved in yourself.

It's hard not to think of it that way after what happened, but it'll just eat you up inside if you keep thinking that way.

Of course, I know all that. I'm clearly not expressing myself very well. I'm still at the stage where I can't quite believe what has happened, along with that goes wishing you could change the past and the what ifs. It won't eat me up, I'll get over it, as will everyone. The secret ingredient is time, and not enough has passed yet. The cricket starting will help too.

You can look at a few mm this way or that way in millions of incidents though. Many times where the actual result was good, but a few mm either way and the result was tragedy.

Just look at the Chanderpaul one where he got hit below the helmet when he ducked into it. And Lee bowls alot quicker than Abbott does.

It's still not sitting well with me. There are moments where I realise, shit, this has actually happened and we never get to see this talented cricketer ever again.

It sank in a little deeper just a moment ago when I read an article passed through the Adelaide Strikers site. The part that took me was the bit that said Cricket Australia will give the Strikers a bit more time to find a replacement for Hughes, or something along those lines. This when it hit me a little harder.

Yeah still very hard to get my head around. Such a freak accident.

Brings me back to 6 or so years ago when I was bowling in the cricket nets at training and the batter down the other end smashed it right back at me, I lost sight of the ball and just turned my head and got hit in the jaw/neck region. No break, didn't go unconscious, just bloody hurt like a prick. And then to see Hughes pass away from that, just not fair.

That was a nice touch having all his caps. Must admit as unnerving as this tragedy has been for all of Australian cricket, something about the fact it happened while he was batting for SA hurts my soul. I was so happy when he came over here for his second chance. Never would have imagined something like this could happen. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah still very hard to get my head around. Such a freak accident.

Brings me back to 6 or so years ago when I was bowling in the cricket nets at training and the batter down the other end smashed it right back at me, I lost sight of the ball and just turned my head and got hit in the jaw/neck region. No break, didn't go unconscious, just bloody hurt like a prick. And then to see Hughes pass away from that, just not fair.

Bloody lucky it didn't hit you in the teeth mate, that would have been horrible.

People who've never played just don't realise how hard that little ball is sometimes. Atm I'm playing in such a low grade you have time for a cuppa before the ball gets to you, and I still end up with a minor little bruise or two from each game. When I was facing decent opening bowlers at my last club I used to have nasty purple bruises all over my thighs throughout the season. (I should probably try using that wooden thing in my hands a bit more.)

I copped one in the mouth during slips fielding training a couple of weeks ago that pushed my incisor straight through my lip. Got a nice little scar forming now. All in all I've probably copped more pain playing cricket than footy.

Just look at the Chanderpaul one where he got hit below the helmet when he ducked into it. And Lee bowls alot quicker than Abbott does.
exactly!! although i don't think pace has to do with it. just hit in a wrong place and who knows what the results can be.

Bloody lucky it didn't hit you in the teeth mate, that would have been horrible.

People who've never played just don't realise how hard that little ball is sometimes. Atm I'm playing in such a low grade you have time for a cuppa before the ball gets to you, and I still end up with a minor little bruise or two from each game. When I was facing decent opening bowlers at my last club I used to have nasty purple bruises all over my thighs throughout the season. (I should probably try using that wooden thing in my hands a bit more.)

I copped one in the mouth during slips fielding training a couple of weeks ago that pushed my incisor straight through my lip. Got a nice little scar forming now. All in all I've probably copped more pain playing cricket than footy.
I feel ya. Currently trying to find a position to lay in bed without affecting the bruise I copped tonight at training.

Yeah, they don't - probably because the only cricket they see is on TV, where the pros make it look like it's easy.

I tell them try fielding at point or gully and catching a full-blooded cut shot.

Sometimes you just can't work out what goes through peoples heads sometimes.
It's not hard to imagine that Clarke saw Hughes as a brother, given he doesn't have any brothers by blood. Not to mention the amount of time we don't see the touring squad spend together off the field, nor who they room with on tour etc. It's not unfathomable that given he took Phillip under his wing, that the parents saw him as somewhat of an adopted son as well.

It's also not difficult to understand that Robbo probably doesn't get this because his closest friend is a bartender at the closest pub to the Herald Sun office who awkwardly excuses himself after 7 minutes of watching Robbo go red in the face, pound the bar after his 8th Carlton Draught of that morning, sighing "it's just not right" over and over about the simplest of issues, before calling Gerard Whateley for the third time to ask what Caroline Wilson means when she uses the word 'untenable' in her articles.

It really shouldn't depend on your opinion of Clarke.

Clarke has struggled to manage the team at times and has successfully put various players off side. However, when it comes to his mates, the blokes who he is personally friends with and not just teammates, as far as I'm aware he has always treated them well.

The way he has handled this event should be judged through the lense of losing a mate who he also plays cricket with rather than losing any other cricketer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back