Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarke's Eulogy in full can be read at this link. But these word got to me
http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...n-phillip-hughes/story-fndpt0dy-1227143630336

I stood there at the wicket, I knelt down to touch the grass. I swear he was there with me, picking me up off my feet to check if I was OK. Telling me we just needed to dig in and get through to tea.

Telling me off for that loose shot I played. Chatting about what movie we might watch that night, and then passing on a useless fact about cows.

And I can see him swagger back up to the other end, grin at the bowler and call me through for a run in such a booming voice that a bloke in the carpark could hear it.

That’s the heart of a man who lived his life and this wonderful game we played. And his soul enriched not just our sport but all of our lives.

Is this what indigenous Australians believe about a person’s spirit being connected with the land upon which they walk?

If so, I know they are right about the SCG. His spirit has touched us and it will forever be a sacred ground for me.

Lovely euologys and tributes all around. It was televised by cricinfo and bbc world so was able to watch it on the telly here in Germany .

I'm 38 and have seen this country grieve it's tragedies before but ( may only be me ) i've never seen us like this before.
Hit us right in the psyche ( shudder to imagine the effect the wars had on us )
Kate Langbroek said tonight that we've never been more divided politically but how this has brought us closer.
I mentioned in the GD cricket thread that footy was my carnal need and cricket was my spiritual...maybe that's why this hurts so much ?...

I can't speak or think highly enough of our captain too , who has carried us on his shoulders so many times in the past , carried us on his shoulders in a whole other way these last 7 days.

I can't speak or think highly enough of our captain too , who has carried us on his shoulders so many times in the past , carried us on his shoulders in a whole other way these last 7 days.
Yeah but he's too scared to man up and bat at 3, what a loser.

I cant ex
I'm 38 and have seen this country grieve it's tragedies before but ( may only be me ) i've never seen us like this before.
Hit us right in the psyche ( shudder to imagine the effect the wars had on us )
Kate Langbroek said tonight that we've never been more divided politically but how this has brought us closer.
I mentioned in the GD cricket thread that footy was my carnal need and cricket was my spiritual...maybe that's why this hurts so much ?...

I cant exPlain it either. Ive been so down all night at work tonight its affected me more than anyone before. Including grandparents. I really dont know why. Seeing dad carry coffin and that song tore me apart.

It is the first time I have ever seen a father be a pall bearer for his child. Must have been unbelievably difficult thing to do.
When I was about 14 my old man saw one of his best mates have to do it, shook him right up. As a consequence it took a lot of convincing for him to teach me how to drive.

all the media is abour clarke's speech, thought the cousins and siblings were brilliant speeches.
It was a pretty good speech, and Clarke has obviously been fantastic during this whole thing. But it was definitely the brothers' speech that made me more emotional. I have a younger brother, and while I can't sympathise in the same way due to my brother being far from a high-achiever, I know that bond and sense of protection you feel for them. Was absolutely heart-wrenching to hear his feelings at this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bit from his partially balding cousin was pretty funny, Phill used to send SMS' to check on spelings and used to update him on his physique... :)

A very moving service today which went as well as it could have done. Apologies if this has been posted before but I thought this article by Nick Compton on the BBC Sport website might interest some of you. Obviously I knew Compton and Hughes played together at Middlesex (and at Western Suburbs, apparently) but I didn't know they were flatmates in London. A very good effort by Compton to fly over for the funeral but it seems Hughes was the kind of mate you'd do that for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30314910

So what was his job?

Saying goodbye to one of his closest mates that saw each other for better word 'family'. Clarke wouldn't have met him much prior to his cricket so why discuss that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back