Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

My mondays are pretty depressing, starting with a 4am wakeup for work, getting home 12 hours later to watch the Jets game, and wonder at how wasteful the day was.

Members of 1996 Jets say it could always be worse
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 5, 2014, 7:41 AM EST
rich-kotite.jpg
AP
Good news Jets fans: Those involved with the biggest mess in team history say the current version isn’t nearly as bad.

That’s right, the Jets are bad, but not Rich Kotite bad.

Seth Walder of the New York Daily News reached out to some former Jets who were on the 1996 team which went 1-15, and they agreed things were much worse then than they are now. Because while there’s still a good measure of respect for coach Rex Ryan, that didn’t exist under Kotite.

The coaches on the field were piss poor,” ESPN analyst Keyshawn Johnson said. “I’ve never seen anything like it in organized football.”

Likewise, defensive lineman Marvin Washington said there was a general lack of readiness after Kotite was hired.

“I felt unprepared,” Washington said. “We were unprepared from the coaching standpoint, [and also] from the preparation standpoint, which was on the players.”

Perhaps the most funny and/or sad part of the story was the Daily News‘ attempt to reach Kotite, who hasn’t worked in the NFL since. A woman answering his number, upon hearing mention of the 1996 Jets, said “Don’t bother,” and hung up the phone.

Of course, the current Jets could top Kotite’s folly with a ninth straight loss this week. The 1996 team lost its first eight games before beating the Cardinals on the road in Week Nine.

“After a while we were so far in a hole there was just no way out,” Washington said. “Last third of the season, we were just ready for the end.”

“It’s tough when at 1-8 to think you’re going to turn it around,” Johnson said. “You can fool yourself.

“But the players, start to . . . disappear on you. Because that’s just the nature of it.”

We’ll see if the current players check out on Ryan soon. He’s already played his hole card — changing quarterbacks — and if that doesn’t help soon, he could join Kotite on the list of former Jets coaches.

Watched Redzone before work this morning and caught the first quarter Jets go up 17-0 and had to leave. Was pretty nervous they would blow it so had to check the scores couldn't wait to get home and watch later. Great to be back on the winners list although can see a few wins costing us a top 3/5 pick.

Team clearly not wanting Rex fired over the break.

Team clearly not wanting Rex fired over the break.

Some may make out that the 1-8 record resembles something of the Indy Colts tank season a few years ago… not at all.. I recall the Miami Dolphins having a desperately unlucky 2007 1-15 campaign that was more like a 6-10 team. Jets having a 6-10 team season. I wouldn't be too discouraged by the 2-8 record. Players not going up… thought today the Steelers found unique ways to shoot themselves in both feet when presented with chances but the first Q 17-0 lead was earned with smart game planning.

How the Jets play coming out of the bye will be worth noting. Rex's teams generally seem to be poorly prepared and lay eggs when resuming after byes (eg., the disaster against Buffalo last year).

Some may make out that the 1-8 record resembles something of the Indy Colts tank season a few years ago… not at all.. I recall the Miami Dolphins having a desperately unlucky 2007 1-15 campaign that was more like a 6-10 team. Jets having a 6-10 team season. I wouldn't be too discouraged by the 2-8 record. Players not going up… thought today the Steelers found unique ways to shoot themselves in both feet when presented with chances but the first Q 17-0 lead was earned with smart game planning.

Oh definitely - they've had some really poor games (Chargers and Bills most notably) but have been in most other games (especially Pats, Packers, Bears and Lions)

Oh definitely - they've had some really poor games (Chargers and Bills most notably) but have been in most other games (especially Pats, Packers, Bears and Lions)

Most clubs have the odd shocker coupled by those games which are either ugly or forgettable but because Rex has been there five years.. sounds like media impatience.. but does the media really think the roster is set = have their hearts set on a SB run.. :rolleyes: some media outlets are completely and utterly delusional. If they wanted to cut the NFL apple in half to determine which teams are rotten, you'd know that a chainsaw would suffice as their cutting instrument because their rationale is just as messy. It's one thing to have expectations and shape a standard but how can one do that when the QB position is muddy?

Rex has been the head coach of the Jets since 2009, so he's in his sixth season. This will be his fourth season without playoffs, which is an eternity in New York (heck, it's an eternity elsewhere, too).

He made it to the AFC Championship Game in 2009 only because Indianapolis rested its starters in a regular season game and that allowed the Jets to complete a comeback victory and sneak into the playoffs, where they beat the the Bengals and the Chargers on the road (from memory) before being eviscerated by the Colts in the championship game.

But in hindsight, apart from the QB position, the Jets were building towards a team that should have been able to compete for the Superbowl in both 2009 and 2010.

Rex brought his Ravens' buddy Bart Scott with him from Baltimore (famously camped on Scott's doorstep to meet with him at midnight on the start of free agency) and signed Jim Leonhard, also from Baltimore. They traded for Braylon Edwards (sending scraps to the Browns, who were being coached by ex-Jet head coach Eric Mangini). They sent a first and a second round pick to the Browns, plus a couple of players to move up to take Sanchez in the 2009 draft.

The Jets had Thomas Jones and Leon Washington as running backs, plus they drafted Shonn Greene. After trading for Edwards, they had Edwards and Cotchery as the two leading wide-receivers. The Jets were loaded on the offensive line; Faneca, Ferguson, Mangold and Woody were four starters. Their defence was full of veterans; Scott, Pace, Revis, Leonhard amongst the leaders.

Then in 2010, when the Jets added Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie and LaDainian Tomlinson to the mix, it's reasonably clear that the Jets were all-in on a Superbowl run. They ended the season 11-5 (which in many other years could have won the division, but the Patriots went 14-2 that season, including a 45-3 win over the Jets in Foxborough at the start of December 2010). The Jets beat the Colts and Patriots on the road in the playoffs, but then laid a complete goose egg in the first half against the Steelers.

Since then, it's been downhill ever since.

I guess it was only due that we were going to play a game like that considering we have been close to some good teams this season but Steelers O just came out completely flat as well, making some odd mistakes at times. That Vick touchdown was a nice rare sight and going to take the win for what is, a nice surprise in a horror of a season.

I guess it was only due that we were going to play a game like that considering we have been close to some good teams this season but Steelers O just came out completely flat as well, making some odd mistakes at times. That Vick touchdown was a nice rare sight and going to take the win for what is, a nice surprise in a horror of a season.

You call it flat.. I call it dumb play-calling by Haley. Jets dominated possession and that's what you do on a dicey D that played too re-active instead of pro-active like third year off FA, Jaiquawn Jarrett #37 who clearly had a 'career game' … that fighting attitude and persistence was all the Jets needed to help them get in a winning position. The calamity of Rex losing it at the end could of been something else had Suisham bothered to perfect a onside squib kick he obviously doesn't practise much.

Rex has been the head coach of the Jets since 2009, so he's in his sixth season. This will be his fourth season without playoffs, which is an eternity in New York (heck, it's an eternity elsewhere, too).

He made it to the AFC Championship Game in 2009 only because Indianapolis rested its starters in a regular season game and that allowed the Jets to complete a comeback victory and sneak into the playoffs, where they beat the the Bengals and the Chargers on the road (from memory) before being eviscerated by the Colts in the championship game.

But in hindsight, apart from the QB position, the Jets were building towards a team that should have been able to compete for the Superbowl in both 2009 and 2010.

Rex brought his Ravens' buddy Bart Scott with him from Baltimore (famously camped on Scott's doorstep to meet with him at midnight on the start of free agency) and signed Jim Leonhard, also from Baltimore. They traded for Braylon Edwards (sending scraps to the Browns, who were being coached by ex-Jet head coach Eric Mangini). They sent a first and a second round pick to the Browns, plus a couple of players to move up to take Sanchez in the 2009 draft.

The Jets had Thomas Jones and Leon Washington as running backs, plus they drafted Shonn Greene. After trading for Edwards, they had Edwards and Cotchery as the two leading wide-receivers. The Jets were loaded on the offensive line; Faneca, Ferguson, Mangold and Woody were four starters. Their defence was full of veterans; Scott, Pace, Revis, Leonhard amongst the leaders.

Then in 2010, when the Jets added Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie and LaDainian Tomlinson to the mix, it's reasonably clear that the Jets were all-in on a Superbowl run. They ended the season 11-5 (which in many other years could have won the division, but the Patriots went 14-2 that season, including a 45-3 win over the Jets in Foxborough at the start of December 2010). The Jets beat the Colts and Patriots on the road in the playoffs, but then laid a complete goose egg in the first half against the Steelers.

Since then, it's been downhill ever since.

I swear I'm a sporting curse - following Melbourne is self-explanatory, I was cemented as a Jets fan after that road playoff win in New England and it's been downhill interceptions and buttfumbles since then and I decided to get on a perennial winner at the end of the 2012/13 NBA season and jumped on the Celtics who will be in line for another lottery pick this year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very glad I've been overseas for most of this season. What an absolute shocker, just the most demoralising season in ages. 05 was bad but with the injuries we had that year it was always going to happen. 07 was pretty bad but we were a bit unlucky that year. This is just... awful. I like Rex, I really do, but it's time.

Rex has benched Michael Vick for Geno Smith to play the Dolphins on Monday Night Football at Metlife. Vick was horrible against Buffalo (although he narrowly missed out, by inches, on what would have been a 69-yard TD pass to Eric Decker just before half-time, which would have made it 14-10 at the half and perhaps changed the complexion of the game). Presumably Idzik wants to have another look at Smith as he prepares for the 2015 draft.

There's a chance that the Jets will be embarrassed on MNF by the Dolphins to the tune of 52-0. Lucky the Raiders only did that on a 1pm game to a team that has no chance of making the playoffs. :thumbsu:

I'm not entirely sure the Jets should spend their first round pick on a QB in the draft. I admit I don't watch a lot of college football, but I'm concerned that Mariota is a "system QB" and doesn't have any experience in a pro-style offence. Winston is an immature young man who needs to grow up very quickly to cope with the pressure cooker atmosphere of playing in NY. Additionally, Winston has thrown a stack of picks this season.

I'd rather take someone like Amari Cooper in the first round (particularly if Harvin walks at the end of the season), sign a veteran like Bradford (not Hoyer - he's rubbish) and let Smith sit for a season to see if he learns anything while he's evaluated by a new head coach.

I definitely don't want the Jets to trade for Harbaugh. With the Raiders also involved, the 49ers could demand at least a first round pick for Harbaugh, and I don't want the Jets to give up a first round pick. Take a flyer on a young and hungry head coach who has experience on offence and pair him up with a seasoned DC, but also make sure the position coaches are top-notch.

I haven't watched much of today's game but surely we go with a QB with our first pick. Geno has the last few games to show he can control the ball, doesn't need to do anything flashy just hold on to the ball and bang pick 6 on the very first play. Can't see us sticking with him as anything other than a backup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back