Movie Interstellar

Remove this Banner Ad

But thats just it - Michael Caine's character knew him already. If he already knows he's a seriously good pilot and so integral to the mission, why wasn't Cooper brought into the loop and on the project from the start?

Maybe they didn't know if he was alive or his whereabouts.

But thats just it - Michael Caine's character knew him already. If he already knows he's a seriously good pilot and so integral to the mission, why wasn't Cooper brought into the loop and on the project from the start?

And gun pilot or not, there would be a fair bit of training and briefing for that mission - this is humanity's last hope, a mission that they know will probably take decades. Within a few hours of getting to NASA they practically just threw him the keys to the car and said have a good time.
Do you really want the film to go for an extra 45 minutes so you can watch Cooper in a flight simulator? While this works for other movies to show how perilous or incredibly against-the-odds some task is to achieve, it wasn't required for this particular film.

I actually filled in the blanks, assuming a significant amount of time had passed between Cooper being given an orientation of the facilities and him saying bye to Murph. Whether this was subtly hinted at, I don't know (although Murph somehow got home, learnt that Coop was leaving, and got emotional because today was the day he left).

Maybe they didn't know if he was alive or his whereabouts.

They can build a ship capable of interstellar travel and a base that can be turned into a space station with the right variables but they can't find a gun ex-pilot who is making no attempt to hide himself?

Do you really want the film to go for an extra 45 minutes so you can watch Cooper in a flight simulator? While this works for other movies to show how perilous or incredibly against-the-odds some task is to achieve, it wasn't required for this particular film.

I actually filled in the blanks, assuming a significant amount of time had passed between Cooper being given an orientation of the facilities and him saying bye to Murph. Whether this was subtly hinted at, I don't know (although Murph somehow got home, learnt that Coop was leaving, and got emotional because today was the day he left).

Not sure how you assume a significant amount of time has passed when that sequence was cut the way it was, felt like about 24 hours total. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, just poor editing. And you don't need an extra 45 minutes or any sort of training montage. With no thought whatsoever, maybe just one extra scene (while cutting some of the Matt Damon stuff) where Cooper comes home from an implied day of training and tries to talk to Murph about leaving again, rather than only showing him trying to talk to her about leaving on the day that he leaves. Would make the emotional arc so much more believable too.

They can build a ship capable of interstellar travel and a base that can be turned into a space station with the right variables but they can't find a gun ex-pilot who is making no attempt to hide himself?

Not sure how you assume a significant amount of time has passed when that sequence was cut the way it was, felt like about 24 hours total. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, just poor editing. And you don't need an extra 45 minutes or any sort of training montage. With no thought whatsoever, maybe just one extra scene (while cutting some of the Matt Damon stuff) where Cooper comes home from an implied day of training and tries to talk to Murph about leaving again, rather than only showing him trying to talk to her about leaving on the day that he leaves. Would make the emotional arc so much more believable too.
That'd basically be repeating a scene though.

Obviously if you go that way it changes how you show him actually leaving.

My point is that whole sequence from him arriving at NASA's fence up until the launch is the weakest part of the movie for mine. Like I said earlier in the thread, probably done like it was in an attempt to drive the emotional stuff with Murph but it just came off as too unbelievable, think it could have been handled much better.

My memory's not that great, but I recall Murph and Cooper arriving on the base together and being shown around. Later, Cooper is seen returning home in his truck and Murph is already at the house. That to me implies this is not the first time Cooper has left the base and therefore an unspecified amount of time has passed. Apparently I'm the only one who accepted that this amounted to weeks, rather than days.

On a related note, how long do you guys assume the ghost has been around? My impression was that this wasn't an isolated/short term occurrence, especially as Murph had started logging days/times and patterns, etc. and her brother was sick of her talking about it, IIRC.

My memory's not that great, but I recall Murph and Cooper arriving on the base together and being shown around. Later, Cooper is seen returning home in his truck and Murph is already at the house. That to me implies this is not the first time Cooper has left the base and therefore an unspecified amount of time has passed. Apparently I'm the only one who accepted that this amounted to weeks, rather than days.

On a related note, how long do you guys assume the ghost has been around? My impression was that this wasn't an isolated/short term occurrence, especially as Murph had started logging days/times and patterns, etc. and her brother was sick of her talking about it, IIRC.
Yeah my impression was it'd been there a while. Which fitted later on with Cooper pounding on the book case a few times before he gives them the coordinates.

I guess that's true about him returning to the house and Murph already being there, I dunno just felt really rushed to me (and others that I saw the movie with).

And yeah you're right about the ghost/communication stuff occuring over a long period, at least on Earth. For Cooper himself, he could access all those different times on Earth almost instantaneously via the 4th dimensional construct that had been created for him.

Or maybe just have him wearing different clothes...

Saw it yesterday, really loved it.

The science was all good with me, seems like they really worked hard to make sure that it was accurate.

And then they had him go inside a black hole and not be stretched or crushed to death. Gotta suspend some belief sure, but I still think the ending was pretty weak.

Saw it yesterday, really loved it.

And then they had him go inside a black hole and not be stretched or crushed to death. Gotta suspend some belief sure, but I still think the ending was pretty weak.

What you're talking about is spaghettification. When you start feeling the effects of this depends on the size of the black hole. For a supermassive black hole like the one in the film, you probably won't start to feel the effects until after you cross the event horizon. The suspension of disbelief is mainly to assume he didn't get exposed to harmful radiation and to believe that he entered the 5 dimensional tesseract before he started feeling the effects.

Last edited:
What you're talking about is spaghettification. When you start feeling the effects of this depends on the size of the black hole. For a supermassive black hole like the one in the film, you probably won't start to feel the effects until after you cross the event horizon. The suspension of disbelief is mainly to assume he didn't get exposed to harmful radiation and to believe that he entered the 5 dimensional tesseract before he started feeling the effects.
You're right, I hadn't considered the size of the black hole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw it last week. It had ok moments but a really good movie keeps in your mind for next few days. This failed to do that.
Some aspects of movie were done well but too much chunks of movie just edited in bad way it just makes the whole experience of it be nothing special as an overall story.
6 and a half out of 10 for me.

Only just found this thread. Don't get to see many films these days but made a point of seeing this one. Loved it. Hope it gets a few Oscar noms.

I think there was a good balance between some real science (thank God, finally some bona-fide science in a space movie) and suspension of disbelief (which kinda has to happen in all movies of this ilk (without having to resort to a spoiler tag...) )

Nolan is fantastic at juxtaposing the logic of the achieving the greater good against the personal emotions (individual survival, love and longing, loneliness), and there is plenty of that in this film. This conflict is what turns a good SciFi movie into a great SciFi movie. Unfortunately it also highlighted possibly the worst part of the movie for me. I haven't brushed up on Spoiler Tags but I think most of you will know what I'm referring to...

Anyway, Thank you Mr Nolan. There were also a few homages as well... I'm talking at least 2001 and Silent Running. Anyone care to propose any more?

Probably the most dumbed down Nolan, even for all the sentimental reach.
Walked out with 10 minutes left.....................I had to go to the bathroom.

Not a bad movie but too much human spirit stuff and not enough to make you think......other than about ourselves.......which is somewhat boring.

EDIT: Homages? What's the point of that? Give me originality any day of the week.

9/10

Point deducted for not having subtitles.

Seriously, I could not hear a word they were saying. Plus it was all mumbo jumbo science stuff.

Haven't read through the thread yet, but is there a decent explanation of how Murphy figured out it was her dad?

Because when that happened.... major facepalm. I really want to deduct another point for it, but I don't think 8/10 is a fair reflection of how good the movie was.

Also, was so predicting that Murphy would figure out the equation and then create a new Murphy's Law :p Sad that it didn't happen

Also the score in this movie was amazing.

Homage or Originality?
Not sure of any homage connection to PF but if so, at least Tarantino went tongue in cheek.

Nolan seems to be M. Nighting himself. He has reached very high though and good on him for that.

Both. Homage and original.

9/10

Point deducted for not having subtitles.

Seriously, I could not hear a word they were saying. Plus it was all mumbo jumbo science stuff.

Haven't read through the thread yet, but is there a decent explanation of how Murphy figured out it was her dad?

Because when that happened.... major facepalm. I really want to deduct another point for it, but I don't think 8/10 is a fair reflection of how good the movie was.

Also, was so predicting that Murphy would figure out the equation and then create a new Murphy's Law :p Sad that it didn't happen

Also the score in this movie was amazing.

Well he sent morse code through the watch. Earlier in the movie he gave that watch to Murphy. You could argue that anyone else would have done the morse code through the watch but it is an explanation.

Well he sent morse code through the watch. Earlier in the movie he gave that watch to Murphy. You could argue that anyone else would have done the morse code through the watch but it is an explanation.
Going to have to rewatch, but I think she figured it out before the morse code watch. Not sure.

Also, there totally needs to be a TARS pop vinyl.

I remember when they were at the first water planet, thinking, jeez, TARS looks REALLY stupid. What a lame design, they totally ****ed that one up. And then he ******* transforms and spins across the sea, saves Brann! That's when I fell in love.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back