Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

The first year will be hard, but you'll have more power than you did on prac. Be consistent and referee-like. Kids don't handle teachers bending their perceptions of what the teacher's role is, unless it's "cool teacher" - which then leads to your aforementioned "being walked over". So just be businesslike, and do what the other guy said in relation to school discipline plan, etc. Be the teacher, not their mate, and don't try to redefine teaching as we know it...just be one...

You might need those buddy teachers on hand, but if you do it in a way that makes you look like you're simply following procedure and not palming the kids off because "you can't handle them", you'll be respected. Before that though, get on top of things yourself. Senior teachers get a little annoyed at newer teachers who kick their kids out too often...

And don't get hung up on finding your discipline strategy. There are many, and none of them work all of the time. It's between you and the kids, so just get knowledgeable about them. Takes ages. In the meantime, use the phone, and ring the parents often...

Thanks for the tips and advice. Will definitely take into consideration.

I guess I'm pretty lucky that I've gotten a job where my brother works, so he's filled me in about a few things already.

I've tried the 'cool teacher' with High School students and it worked a treat. Not so much with Primary students, they completely walked over me (which is partly my mentors fault because they did the same with her).

I didn't say anything about technical skills about running a classroom, or your ability to relate to your students. I'm sure if you got offered a job then you've been doing well...

I just don't know how your supposed to help kids learn about 'real life' if you've never been outside of the education system -

Primary School > High School > University > Primary School

No other full time work - No travelling - I just don't get it
The flip side is that good career teachers are exactly that - good career teachers. They devote themselves to learning all of the methodologies, and advance their careers. You don't need to serve beer in a British pub or own your own business on the side to be valuable in the classroom. I myself have been a working musician, a roof insulator, a printer tech, a labourer, a salesman....I also looked after two people who eventually died of terminal illness when I was unemployed...and I feel, with all this "life experience", that I would have been better at my current job if I committed earlier and more fully to it...! "Real life" - nothing more real life than committing to the grind...

Still desperately hoping for a placement letter for next year

I'm thinking of going for a job teaching year 7 and 8s in a posh catholic school. I feel like I'm selling my soul a bit but hey. Does anyone know anything about how to apply for such jobs? They have no key selection criteria in their advert.

I am going to be doing my first prac work next semester which I am very excited about. I have not actually been in a primary school classroom since I was 12 years old so going into a primary school with an entirely different role within that school will be very interesting.

yup it's a bit of a spin out

my first prac was in a grade one class earlier this year - whole lot of 6 and 7 year olds... I felt like a giant, constantly hitting my head on hanging displays and very quickly getting sore tendons in the back of my knees from squatting down and talking to the little tackers at their desks....

I am going to be doing my first prac work next semester which I am very excited about. I have not actually been in a primary school classroom since I was 12 years old so going into a primary school with an entirely different role within that school will be very interesting.

Try doing High School placement. You'll have the toughest time not laughing at some of the things they say. Found it real easy to get along with the High School students - probably my immaturity.

Try doing High School placement. You'll have the toughest time not laughing at some of the things they say. Found it real easy to get along with the High School students - probably my immaturity.

Well I am doing a Primary School pathway program so I suspect the only options I will get is Primary Schools but I will look out for any potential High School placements. I manly want to be a years 5 and 6 teacher as I like the idea of teaching 11 and 12 year olds more than 7 year old kids. An 11 or 12 year old is sort of like a mini person with their own opinions who are smart enough to have pretty good conversations with :)

Well I am doing a Primary School pathway program so I suspect the only options I will get is Primary Schools but I will look out for any potential High School placements. I manly want to be a years 5 and 6 teacher as I like the idea of teaching 11 and 12 year olds more than 7 year old kids. An 11 or 12 year old is sort of like a mini person with their own opinions who are smart enough to have pretty good conversations with :)

I prefer the older kids as well but with age comes attitude and defiance. Little kids are so easy to maintain.

So who has received their placement for next year? Or are we still white knuckling it.

Good news personally, I gave up on the government sector and went applied for a catholic school position and got the job, even though its .6 its a start.

Though it was worth mentioning, while I got the job at catholic school, I'm still getting replies from the jobs I applied for through the graduate pool with the response of "you have not been shortlisted", where as the 6 jobs I applied for through the catholic system I've had 6 interviews but none with the government system which would easily be over 15 jobs this year, maybe others who are having the same troubles I have had with the government system should look into the catholic system. While I am catholic, I am not a practicing catholic all I had to say is that I support the catholic ethos, could be worth a shot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am doing exactly that, my ex-wife is great at getting teaching jobs so she's helping me out. I owe her one, she's helped me a lot with this application.

I prefer the older kids as well but with age comes attitude and defiance. Little kids are so easy to maintain.

Little kids have that as well.

Little kids you can also have good conversations with as well.

It does not matter what age you teach, you have to deal with different behaviours and personalities every day. Every class room, every child is different. However, you will learn to find a positive out of teaching any year level.

I've got a year 3/4 class and they are great. Laat year, I had a year 4/5 class and they were horrible. Next year, I've got a year 3 class with some very good kids coming through. It's how you look at the class and interact with them.

Receptions year 1's can be great but they can do your head in.

Last edited:
Got an interview at a Catholic school myself on Monday, teaching year 7 & 8s in a 0.6 position. Looks like an ideal job really.

I found making myself a cheat book with things I've done regarding various aspects of teaching helped heaps. You can transfer your notes straight across to the question sheet without sitting there wasting time thinking of things.

That worked for me.

Well I've been told I will be working with Preps next year (5year olds). When I was told, I was shocked. Not knowing any males that have taught it was a concern, but upon researching this, I have noticed that more schools are putting males in the prep classroom (for the male role model).

My principal did this too when he told me I would be in one. Wanted that male presence and thought I would be a good fit (having a young child myself). On the plus side, less I need to report on. Downside is it will be hard work at the start, getting them into a routine.

Im use to teaching older kids (8-12year olds) as I've been teaching them for the last 4 years. So I'm going to need to get my head around a whole new curriculum and lower my expectations (to word and letter recognition rather than full page of writing with paragraphs lol).

Im actually looking forward to the challenge.

First term with preps can be interesting, espcially with the ones who haven't done kinder. I was working in Sunshine last year doing PE with preps. Half the class were ESL. It took me half an hour just to get them to make a circle.

You'll get used to it quickly. It helps if you have a daft sense of humour. They love it when I get one of the cuddly toys and allow them to 'interview' it via me.

First term with preps can be interesting, espcially with the ones who haven't done kinder. I was working in Sunshine last year doing PE with preps. Half the class were ESL. It took me half an hour just to get them to make a circle.

Haha.. fantastic mental image -

I've had one prep learning guitar this year, the first few weeks he would have his guitar facing the wrong way (strings against his chest instead the otherway around) ..

and then he had the unfortunate issue of the other kid in his guitar class being left-handed... so he kept switching his guitar around upside down to be left-handed....

My principal did this too when he told me I would be in one. Wanted that male presence and thought I would be a good fit (having a young child myself). On the plus side, less I need to report on. Downside is it will be hard work at the start, getting them into a routine.

I am not sure if this is true but I have been told than men have an easier time finding work in Primary Schools than women do as there are fewer men in the industry and principles are always interested in having more male role models in their school.

I was wondering for anyone who would be in the know if this is true or not?

I've heard that's the case, but then had other people specifically tell me "Don't believe the old theory that it's easier for males to get Primary teaching work"

For what it's worth, I think the gender split in my teaching course this year was pretty close to 50/50 ... maybe 55/45 and at a stretch 60/40 (female:male)...

I've heard that's the case, but then had other people specifically tell me "Don't believe the old theory that it's easier for males to get Primary teaching work"

For what it's worth, I think the gender split in my teaching course this year was pretty close to 50/50 ... maybe 55/45 and at a stretch 60/40 (female:male)...

My course is probably around 65/35 females to males. There is a noticeable difference.

I am not sure if this is true but I have been told than men have an easier time finding work in Primary Schools than women do as there are fewer men in the industry and principles are always interested in having more male role models in their school.

Not true at all.

Wrote over 300 applications and got 11 interviews before I got my permanent position at my second school.

fallacy - don't beleive the hype. We have 5 males in our school and that is an enormous number. Last year, I had 2. A mate is the only Male teacher. They have 2 if you add the groundsman.

Same as, don't believe teaching has an ageing population.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back