No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One can only hope!
A person in his position can not be complicit in dodgying up the evidence/re-writing testimonies etc & expect to keep his job.
It's beyond a joke.

Even if a blind eye is turned to his methods. That he decided in such short time to continue with a case that others had already determined should be abandoned should be enough to see him removed.

From the same senate hearing in June 2014:

Senator SESELJA: Indeed. You can leave that to us. But I will ask Mr McDevitt to give us a bit of an update on where things are up to.

Prof. Halton : That is fine. Thank you.

Mr McDevitt : The first comment I would make is that in the 17 days that I have been at ASADA I have noted that an enormous amount of material has been gathered in relation to what is known as Operation Cobia. We are talking about over 300 formally recorded interviews, some of which ran for periods of eight or nine hours. We are talking about examinations of over 150,000 documents, some of which run to 150 to 200 pages, all of which need to be searched, copied and analysed for relevant and pertinent evidence. The investigation of the evidence is extremely complex, and key persons of interest with knowledge about the distribution of substances to athletes have declined to cooperate with ASADA's investigations. This lack of cooperation by key individuals has resulted—and I have been in law enforcement with a lot of agencies with the last 30 years. The reality is that, when there is a lack of cooperation by persons, obviously the investigating agency needs to resort to alternative avenues of inquiry, and ASADA has certainly found itself in that position. This is a very, very complex investigation.

What we know now is that ASADA failed to secure an affidavit from Charter and Alavi. Surely with McDevitt's 30 year experience in law enforcement, and Dutton with his 10 years experience as a QLD cop, both would have realised how crucial it was to get Charter's signature. Then you have experienced ASADA investigators (and presumably Richard Young) wanting to drop the case due to a lack of evidence and at odds with the ASADA executive. Strange that they decided to push ahead.. maybe they were confident of getting a deal done with Charter.

So what happened in early 2014... did Garry Downes findings solely influence the ASADA executive to push ahead and bring in a hard nosed cop to pursue a doping conviction?

Last edited:

Senator SESELJA: Indeed. You can leave that to us. But I will ask Mr McDevitt to give us a bit of an update on where things are up to.

Mr McDevitt : The first comment I would make is that in the 17 days that I have been at ASADA I have noted that an enormous amount of material has been gathered in relation to what is known as Operation Cobia. We are talking about over 300 formally recorded interviews, some of which ran for periods of eight or nine hours. We are talking about examinations of over 150,000 documents, some of which run to 150 to 200 pages, all of which need to be searched, copied and analysed for relevant and pertinent evidence. The investigation of the evidence is extremely complex, and key persons of interest with knowledge about the distribution of substances to athletes have declined to cooperate with ASADA's investigations. This lack of cooperation by key individuals has resulted—and I have been in law enforcement with a lot of agencies with the last 30 years. The reality is that, when there is a lack of cooperation by persons, obviously the investigating agency needs to resort to alternative avenues of inquiry, and ASADA has certainly found itself in that position. This is a very, very complex investigation.

What we know now is that ASADA failed to secure an affidavit from Charter and Alavi. Surely with McDevitt's 30 year experience in law enforcement, and Dutton with his 10 years experience as a QLD cop, both would have realised how crucial it was to get Charter's signature. Then you have experienced ASADA investigators (and presumably Richard Young) at odds with the ASADA executive wanting to drop the case due to a lack of evidence. Strange that they decided to push ahead.. maybe they were confident of getting a deal done with Charter.

So what happened in early 2014... did Garry Downes findings solely influence the ASADA executive to push ahead and bring in a hard nosed cop to pursue a doping conviction?

Charter kept going back and talking to ASADA. So they must have thought they had him on-board. Not getting him or others to sign anything will almost certainly be back to bite them on the arse.

What we know now is that ASADA failed to secure an affidavit from Charter and Alavi. Surely with McDevitt's 30 year experience in law enforcement, and Dutton with his 10 years experience as a QLD cop, both would have realised how crucial it was to get Charter's signature. Then you have experienced ASADA investigators (and presumably Richard Young) at odds with the ASADA executive wanting to drop the case due to a lack of evidence. Strange that they decided to push ahead.. maybe they were confident of getting a deal done with Charter.

I think the problem is that the versions of events that they needed to swear Charter and Alavi up to were not created until late in the piece (when ASADA realised that they would need to proceed with the farce). It may be that it was only desperation that ever had them putting dishonest affidavits before Charter and Alavi to swear (which Charter and Alavi were probably never prepared to swear up to).

Last edited:
The ongoing Essendon supplements saga has badly tarnished the club’s previously admired reputation and will severely affect another AFL season, says Rita Panahi.

She believes the whole affair has turned the club into a detested outsider within the league and is a tag that will not go away any time soon.

“In less than three years, they have gone from being one of the shining lights of the competition to a pariah club,” said Panahi in the Herald Sun.

Really Rita?

- Record membership
- Club made a huge profit.
- Payers like Cooney,Gwilt etc wanted to join the club to play under Hird

And yet you say we are a pariah club lol don't make me laugh

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem is that the versions of events that they needed to swear Charter and Alavi up to were not created until late in the piece (when the realised that they would need to proceed with the farce). It may be that it was only desperation that ever had them putting dishonest affidavits before Charter and Alavi to swear (which Charter and Alavi were probably never prepared to swear up to).

It seems McDevitt, having decided to proceed when it had virtually already been decided not to, went almost rogue in his attempt to cobble a case together, and if we can believe Charter & Alavi stopped at almost nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, this s**t again? How many campaigners get called campaigners on this thread and this board? How many of them are female? (I'd suggest 2 - Caro and Rita)

Ok, let me make myself clear.

She was not called a campaigner.

She was called something else.

It was derogatory and misogynist.

There is no call for it.

If you don't like people taking a stand on it, tough.

Ok, let me make myself clear.

She was not called a campaigner.

She was called something else.

It was derogatory and misogynist.

There is no call for it.

If you don't like people taking a stand on it, tough.
I saw the post before it was edited and it said "don't make me laugh you campaigner" - if there was a previous version to that which I haven't seen I apologise and take your word for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back