Will North Melbourne break the attendance record at Bellerive Oval in 2015?

Will North break the Bellerive attendance record in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The BBL pulled 14.7k tonight and it got me thinking. Record stands at 16,619. Ground now has a capacity of about 20k. 2015 games:

9 May - North v Richmond (Sat, 1:45pm)
7 June - North v West Coast (Sun, 4:40pm)
15 August - North v St Kilda (Sat, 2:10pm)

If it's going to be any of those games it'll be the one involving Richmond IMO. I'm guessing it'll be Jack Riewoldt's first game in his hometown as an AFL player so that'll probably help the cause if he plays. What do you think?

Watching the big bash tonight I thought the stadium and new stand looked great and had a very decent atmosphere. North requested a big victorian club to play in one of our Hobart fixtures, and while personally I don't like that move, the game vs Richmond will be a fantastic occasion in Hobart.

meaningless record, small stadium and pointless thread

"This thread is so pointless, I just have to post in it so that everyone knows how pointless I think it is!"

6134757048_6ca67e60e3_z.jpg

Cant see how it wont get broken against the Tiges. North should be travelling OK at worst this year, so either the Roos fans will be out in droves to see them beat a struggling tigers for an easy win, or the Tigers will also be up and about and the Tiger army will help pack out the stadium.

Ouch. 3 games that North could've made a profit for at Etihad are down in Tassie. Meaning games from whoever North have v GC, GWS, Port, Freo will be at Etihad and all but guaranteed financial loses. Hope you've got a good deal down there.

But yes, the Richmond game should be a sellout and should be full. I can imagine a pretty good atmosphere with lots of rowdy Tigers fans on the hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stadium record will be a World Cup cricket match.
Given Hobart's WC games, I very much doubt that.
Ireland v Zimbabwe (well, given Pakistan v Zimbabwe got around 1k in 1992, its not going to be a big crowd - though I'm really looking forward to that game as a potential Affiliate beating a Test nation) 5k max
Scotland v Sri Lanka - a few Lankans might travel from Melbourne and Sydney I guess, 8k?
Australia v Scotland - will get a reasonable crowd by Bellerive standards simply because of the "World Cup" label, and it is a Saturday so that means people can travel from the north of the state; an important factor for crowds in Tas because both "cities" are tiny. Still won't be over 15k, and possibly not even 10k.

edit: However, there is Australia v England game in the tri-series. If that does not sell out, it will be very close. That will probably be the record holder. The couple of hundred seats behind the sightscreen in the southern stand might be be the difference between cricket capacity and footy capacity.

Last edited:
The stadium record will be a World Cup cricket match.
Could be right. CWC games:

7 March - Ireland v Zimbabwe (Sat, 2:30pm)
11 March - Scotland v Sri Lanka (Wed, 2:30pm)
14 March - Australia v Scotland (Sat, 2:30pm)

Obviously Australia v Scotland is going to pull the biggest crowd of those three fixtures but will it be big enough to not be outdone by North v Richmond later this year? Hard to say. Scotland isn't exactly known for its cricket prowess so you're basically relying on Aussie cricket fans alone to fill the stadium. I think both games will eclipse the current record but it's hard to say which will be higher.

Ouch. 3 games that North could've made a profit for at Etihad are down in Tassie. Meaning games from whoever North have v GC, GWS, Port, Freo will be at Etihad and all but guaranteed financial loses. Hope you've got a good deal down there.

But yes, the Richmond game should be a sellout and should be full. I can imagine a pretty good atmosphere with lots of rowdy Tigers fans on the hill.
The GC and GWS games are away, so no impact. The Port and Freo games are at Etihad as they usually are, no negative impact there.
We've not played WC in Melbourne for eons. The last game we played against WC in Hobart a couple of years ago drew the biggest ever crowd for a game there.
St. Kilda we played in Hobart last year.
So on balance, we'll be ahead next year with the Richmond game. It's round 6 so it should draw a good crowd being early in the season.

Back