What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Higgins has a mystical power to convince the majority of afl watchers each week that he's a good user of the ball regardless of where the ball actually goes when he kicks it or his ordinary disposal efficiency. I don't know how you could call him over rated as he hasn't been anything other than just in the best 22 player for years.

Higgins will be a very good contributor for North.

Don't get me wrong, by the end I wanted him gone, but the change will invigorate him, he'll have a new role to play, and he's got to earn the respect of his new teammates and coaches after perhaps coasting on the early hype that surrounded him and his role in a flag tilt half a decade ago.

Please don't quote me on this next season when I mock him relentlessly.

And every single club will play a quick, attacking/rebounding defender on him, who will get 25 + possessions each week.... He can't/wont chase, can't tackle and doesn't work hard enough...

If that changes, he'll flourish. If not....
Agree, and if you have no defensive bone in your body it's the worst position to play.

Don't get me wrong, by the end I wanted him gone, but the change will invigorate him, he'll have a new role to play, and he's got to earn the respect of his new teammates and coaches after perhaps coasting on the early hype that surrounded him and his role in a flag tilt half a decade ago.

He is playing in a better side to begin with.
Let's be honest most AFL players perform well in their " honeymoon" period.

He is playing in a better side to begin with.
Let's be honest most AFL players perform well in their " honeymoon" period.

If/when North don't make the top 4, the supporters will start pointing fingers. It'll either be Higgins or Thomas that cops it.

Red Face him. Once a burn man, always a burn man

Listening SEN earlier today, something I usually avoid out of season, but they were talking footy.

When asked who can the Bulldogs least afford to do without this year Rohan Connolly named Tom Boyd. Yep, that's right a 19 year old second year player who is yet to play for us. This just 2 minutes after a caller from Melbourne nominated Hogan as Melbourne's player they could least afford to lose. Connolly said to that caller, it's a bit hard to nominate Hogan seeing as he's yet to play a game for Melbourne and so his impact is yet unknown.

Connolly thinks that it would be a really bad look for the Bulldogs if Boyd does not play or play well this year because he's on so much money. That was his reasoning, nothing to do with his impact on the team results.

Amazing logic and inconsistency there, I think he just wants to stick the boots in whenever he can. It's the Essendon in him I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sarcasm not clear....
It obviously is not :p

How anybody who has watched one game of AFL can say that Boyd is our most valuable player is mind boggling.

Listening SEN earlier today, something I usually avoid out of season, but they were talking footy.

When asked who can the Bulldogs least afford to do without this year Rohan Connolly named Tom Boyd. Yep, that's right a 19 year old second year player who is yet to play for us. This just 2 minutes after a caller from Melbourne nominated Hogan as Melbourne's player they could least afford to lose. Connolly said to that caller, it's a bit hard to nominate Hogan seeing as he's yet to play a game for Melbourne and so his impact is yet unknown.

Connolly thinks that it would be a really bad look for the Bulldogs if Boyd does not play or play well this year because he's on so much money. That was his reasoning, nothing to do with his impact on the team results.

Amazing logic and inconsistency there, I think he just wants to stick the boots in whenever he can. It's the Essendon in him I think.
The Essendon him doesn't allow him to show any sort of knowledge for any other team. Over half of his articles are about Essendon and they are the blindly love Hird no matter what type articles.
Hopefully all the other teams haven't heard of players like Macrae, Stringer, Dahl, Libba, etc etc and they let them all run free all year!

I can see what he's saying. From an outside point of view the club needs to be seen as having picked up a player who justifies his salary. Whether we like it or not, he will be judged from game 1 to game infinity. He can't avoid that. I agree with everyone that his input to the team's success isn't vital in the first 2 years and any impact he does have is a bonus, however have no doubt that the media will get stuck into him the moment he missteps. That cannot be avoided, but I'm still glad he's come :)

I couldn't care less what the media have to say.

The only people that get to me are Footscray supporters that eat their own. If he's struggling, remember - he's just a kid.

We did what we had to do to get him to the club, but he's not walking into the club as the finished product, he's walking in as a raw second year player after being horribly mismanaged by the silver-spoon falafel stand north of the border.

Give him time.

I couldn't care less what the media have to say.

The only people that get to me are Footscray supporters that eat their own. If he's struggling, remember - he's just a kid.

We did what we had to do to get him to the club, but he's not walking into the club as the finished product, he's walking in as a raw second year player after being horribly mismanaged by the silver-spoon falafel stand north of the border.

Give him time.
Completely agree. But we can't expect others to have that view. They want this to fail.

Completely agree. But we can't expect others to have that view. They want this to fail.
Oh, no doubt.

It won't stop me from absolutely slamming them for it, though.

For every searing hot take on the Boyd trade less than 12 months after it went through, I'll be brandishing a 'Bulldogs must do anything to get a key forward' article from years gone by in their face.

Might even ring into SEN for the first time, I've always wanted to get a radio station to hang up on me.

Oh, no doubt.

It won't stop me from absolutely slamming them for it, though.

For every searing hot take on the Boyd trade less than 12 months after it went through, I'll be brandishing a 'Bulldogs must do anything to get a key forward' article from years gone by in their face.

Might even ring into SEN for the first time, I've always wanted to get a radio station to hang up on me.
Perhaps I will too.

I can see what he's saying. From an outside point of view the club needs to be seen as having picked up a player who justifies his salary. Whether we like it or not, he will be judged from game 1 to game infinity. He can't avoid that. I agree with everyone that his input to the team's success isn't vital in the first 2 years and any impact he does have is a bonus, however have no doubt that the media will get stuck into him the moment he missteps. That cannot be avoided, but I'm still glad he's come :)

Just wanted to say thanks for your contributions on here P. You and fronkalicious have great insight into the game and into the culture of the game. kudos mate. :thumbsu:

That's almost the dumbest comment I have heard in years! I actually used to like Rohan Connolly and thought he gave a very good analysis except when his Essendon bias would come out, but that comment alone has changed my opinion of him.

Obviously he has not even seriously looked at the Bulldogs list and he calls himself an AFL expert. I would have thought Bob Murphy may have been up there given our lack of experience or possibly Stringer given his impact on our forward line and potential in the midfield or even Morris or Roughhead given our lack of tall Defenders but not Boyd who hasn't even played a game and isn't even getting big money this year as he is still on his rookie contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back