Strategy Should we trade Rance to West Coast involving Liam Duggan and get Paddy Dangerfield?

Should we trade Alex Rance to West Coast involving Liam Duggan and get Paddy Dangerfield?

• You had to do it didn't you, f.... lunatic!!!

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Stop the Magic Mushrooms!!

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • Hmm interesting, Yeah, Nah.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Hmm interesting, I might give that a second thought. I will get back to you whenever....

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Fu.. yeah, I am in, balls and all!

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Your using both hands again, pull your f... head in!

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Well I never thought of that, I will investigate further

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Heard worse, it would not kill m if it happened but I still love Rancey either way!

Votes: 8 9.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a ridiculous subject. If Richmond loses Rance that limits our ability to improve our list via free agency. If Rance leaves as a RFA we would most likely be entitled to a Tier 1 compensation / first round pick. Then if we were to pick up Dangerfield or equivalent Via free agency, then our Rance compensation under AFL rules no longer applies. It is cancelled out by the acquisition of a player deemed to be of at least the same value. No gain for Richmond. We must keep Rance and acquire a free agent to really make any advance. To loose Rance or even Dusty will see no net gain by us via FA.... Bullshit post.

Regarding the bold, exactly which is why you chase Talia after instead.

Not sure why Dusty is brought up because really the whole list management revolves around Dusty. Dusty is probably our most important player. Losing Dusty makes it hard for us to get Talia, Fyfe and others etc...

If we lost Dusty we would probably have to start another rebuild. Our premiership hopes largely revolve around Dusty IMO. There is no natural substitute for Dusty and he is at the peak of our list structure development!

Last edited:
Regarding the bold, exactly which is why you chase Talia after.

Not sure why Dusty is brought up because really the whole list management revolves around Dusty. Dusty is probably our most important player. Losing Dusty makes it hard for us to get Talia, Fyfe and others etc...

If we lost Dusty we would probably have to start another rebuild. Our premiership hopes largely revolve around Dusty IMO. There is no substitute for Dusty!
If this is the case then surely we should play him off Half back this year sort of like Sam Mitchell does?

Regarding the bold, exactly which is why you chase Talia after.

If we lost Dusty we would probably have to start another rebuild. Our premiership hopes largely revolve around Dusty IMO. There is no natural substitute for Dusty and he is at the peak of our list structure development!
The chances of all your scenarios coming off are a thousand to one ... Change your alias to Alice in wonderland ...your dreaming...

The chances of all your scenarios coming off are a thousand to one ... Change your alias to Alice in wonderland ...your dreaming...

But it is not my dream?

As I said I am just throwing up suggested options based on my assessment of our list within the AFL environment and potential ways to improve it. I thought I am being rather neutral and independent.

But it is not my dream?

As I said I am just throwing up suggested options based on my assessment of our list within the AFL environment and potential ways to improve it. I thought I am being rather neutral and independent.
Your suggestions on how to improve the list are ridiculous. There is about as much chance of your suggestions coming off as Adelaide wanting to trade Dangerfield for Grigg and throwing in Talia and Sloane to sweeten the deal. Your talking junk....

Your suggestions on how to improve the list are ridiculous. There is about as much chance of your suggestions coming off as Adelaide wanting to trade Dangerfield for Grigg and throwing in Talia and Sloane to sweeten the deal. Your talking junk....

Well I guess several years back some would have said getting Lake, Swans getting Franklin after Tippet, Hawks then getting McEvoy/Frawley and Orourke is pretty ridiculous to!

For some their realities are other peoples fantasies.

Helps if you believe and have hope I find

Last edited:
It is irrelevant anyway. If Rance goes via FA we get well deserved compo pick.

Yeah of course we will, like the fair compensation that Hawthorn got for Franklin :rolleyes:

Unless you're the Melbourne Football Club, forget about fair compo for top end talent.

People on here criminally underrate our list I feel.

This list has the capacity to be a Top 4 and premiership contender, what we need is some luck on the injury front, and belief in ourselves that we're good enough. Players like Ellis, Conca, Vlastuin, Griffiths, McBean, and many others, are the future of the RFC and who we need to be investing in.

If we have the cash for a Dangerfield or a Talia, so be it, but Rance is arguably one of our most important core players, and he must be retained at all costs. Same with Dusty.

If we lose Rance, or feel like we will lose him, then the discussion of replacing him becomes relevant. Until then, the conversation should be "once we've retained Rance and Dusty on long term deals, who can we go after to complete our list?"

Yeah of course we will, like the fair compensation that Hawthorn got for Franklin :rolleyes:

Unless you're the Melbourne Football Club, forget about fair compo for top end talent.

Ha ha, fair call. Sometimes you guys misread what I say and overeact on the downside. I didn't say the compo pick for Rance would be fair. I said if we got the compo pick it would be well deserved which from an intent perspective was mean't to indicate the loss of Rance more than compensates for any compo pick.

Further this is why I believe a separate trade for Duggan or Weller would be highly on the cards because a compo pick for Rance does not nearly justify losing Rance so the WA clubs would need to do more for them to get Rance over the line within reason.

If this is the case then surely we should play him off Half back this year sort of like Sam Mitchell does?

You should play him where he only needs one kick to put the ball deep forward. Jack Riewoldt and Griffiths are very good at marking the high ball yet all the forward fifty entries are small kicks.

Martin's boot is such a weapon, combined with good contested marked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People on here criminally underrate our list I feel.

This list has the capacity to be a Top 4 and premiership contender, what we need is some luck on the injury front, and belief in ourselves that we're good enough. Players like Ellis, Conca, Vlastuin, Griffiths, McBean, and many others, are the future of the RFC and who we need to be investing in.

If we have the cash for a Dangerfield or a Talia, so be it, but Rance is arguably one of our most important core players, and he must be retained at all costs. Same with Dusty.

If we lose Rance, or feel like we will lose him, then the discussion of replacing him becomes relevant. Until then, the conversation should be "once we've retained Rance and Dusty on long term deals, who can we go after to complete our list?"

Without worrying about names from a generalist perspective in terms of total list management, eg. Lids, JR, Cotch, Rance, Dusty and there are sure to be others. Is it realistic to assume we are a high chance not to lose any over the next 8 years via FA?

So where I am coming from is is it prudent for RFC to adopt counter measures which suits the players individually and as a group along with the club to benefit everyones interests and success? It might be advisable to be a little proactive in this area rather than totally reactive!

Last edited:
I rate Rance very highly, in fact I'd be happy for Carlton to trade Kruezer for him (would never happen though)

Rance, for all the debate of his kicking skills, is just about the only tall defender that towels up Lance Franklin on a regular basis.

He is arguably your 2nd most valuable player after Cotchin, a prized asset that shouldn't be traded under any circumstances..

There is a glut of star young mids coming out of contract soon (Aish, Treloar, Shield etc) there is absolutely no need for the Tiges to sacrifice an AA defender to get Dangerfield, it would be more then robbing Peter to pay Paul, it'd be Grand Theft Punt Rd Oval.

I rate Rance very highly, in fact I'd be happy for Carlton to trade Kruezer for him (would never happen though)

Rance, for all the debate of his kicking skills, is just about the only tall defender that towels up Lance Franklin on a regular basis.

He is arguably your 2nd most valuable player after Cotchin, a prized asset that shouldn't be traded under any circumstances..

There is a glut of star young mids coming out of contract soon (Aish, Treloar, Shield etc) there is absolutely no need for the Tiges to sacrifice an AA defender to get Dangerfield, it would be more then robbing Peter to pay Paul, it'd be Grand Theft Punt Rd Oval.

I was confused until I realised you were a Carlton supporter versus Richmond supporter!.

I think Rance is well ahead of Kruzuer in the value stakes to the point it just would not happen. I would not trade Rance for Kruzuer and then some, and some more again honestly.

My gut impression is your trying to dump Kruzeur. Can't see that happening even after Hampson

List management advice from a Carlton supporter after trading out Kennedy and more for Judd. Mmm can't see us making that mistake!

Last edited:
You should play him where he only needs one kick to put the ball deep forward. Jack Riewoldt and Griffiths are very good at marking the high ball yet all the forward fifty entries are small kicks.

Martin's boot is such a weapon, combined with good contested marked.
I was taking the piss out of Hardwick trying to turn him into a back flanker last year. What a goose!!!

I'm pretty sure the RFC planned for a premiership long before many of these other mentioned clubs. Is there any particular reason we drafted key position players in Hardwicks first draft when we had serious midfield deficiencies. KPPs take longer so we got them first. With any luck both Astbury and Griffiths will be part of our next premiership as both are showing genuine signs.

Our list is now in such a position that we can focus heavily on midfielders, speed and filling the small gaps in our team. This process is much quicker and will result in us being a successful team from now for many years to come.

Trading Rance would be ******* *ed and won't happen!

I'm pretty sure the RFC planned for a premiership long before many of these other mentioned clubs. Is there any particular reason we drafted key position players in Hardwicks first draft when we had serious midfield deficiencies. KPPs take longer so we got them first. With any luck both Astbury and Griffiths will be part of our next premiership as both are showing genuine signs.

Our list is now in such a position that we can focus heavily on midfielders, speed and filling the small gaps in our team. This process is much quicker and will result in us being a successful team from now for many years to come.

Trading Rance would be ******* ******ed and won't happen!

Call me old fashioned, but running on luck and pretty sure doesn't really get my attention. I rather people with plans and clear directions where they know where they are going ticking milestones off along the way utilizing defined methods and rationale ideally with empirical support!

j8591q.jpg

Back