Universal Love The 2014/15 Pre-season Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

I speak from experience in business. A good accountant will find ways to legitimately reduce tax. Negative gearing and fully-franked dividends are a couple. Set up a home office to run your interests outside of footy income and deduct a proportion of household expenses + a % of mortgage if you have one. There are many other lurks and perks and I'd be astonished if most if not all footballers on high incomes were not privvy to them
Some years ago a brilliant tax accountant in Sydney claimed beer as a deduction for rugby league players because it helped to maintain their playing weight. Disallowed by the tax office, fought the legal battle and it was allowed.
I'm calling bullshit on the beer deductions unless you can refer me to the actual case (law case, not case of beer that was drunk). I've never heard of it.

(Edit: well blow me down - http://www.iknow.cch.com.au/#!/docu...supreme-court-of-new-south-wales-06-july-1990 )

And fully franked dividends at that level of income would increase tax payable.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Just last pre-season numerous posters on here were describing our list as a top 6 list. Its a scary thing considering our list is in much better shape entering into 2015 than it was entering into 2014 and Walsh thinks its gonna be 2017 before we can realistically start to challenge for a flag.

There is also a terrible lack of acknowledgement that other teams improved over the offseason. We really look at our younger brigade as to where the improvement will come from - players like Kerridge, Grigg, Crouch (1&2). The issue we don't look at is other clubs youngsters which are easily on par with our group of youngsters.

Look at the top 4 teams from last year and in my opinion their key additions heavily outweigh their losses:

Hawks: Lost - Sewell (not best 22). Gained - Jono O'Rouke (#2 draft pick) and 25 year old former All Australian KPD Frawley.
Sydney: Lost - Malceski - Gained - Isaac Heeney (would have gone top 3 in the draft).
Port - Lost - Nobody. Gained - Patty Ryder
North: Lost - Greenwood. Gained - Waite/Higgins

Then you have two clubs which were stagnant this offseason and have a much older age profile:

Fremantle: Lost - Nobody. Gained - Nobody.
Geelong: Lost - Varcoe, Christianson - Gained - Mitch Clarke, Rhys Stanley

Followed by our group. The 7-12's:

Gold Coast - Lost Nobody. Gained Malceski.
Essendon - Lost Ryder. Gained Old Cooney. Best 22 negatively affected.
Richmond - Lost nobody. Gained nobody.
West Coast - Lost Nobody. Gained nobody.
Adelaide - Lost Otten. Gained Cheney - Nil all draw. Best 22 not really impacted.

Followed by the Big Unknown:
Brisbane - Lost:Crisp, Patful Gained: Beams, Christenson, Robinson

They shouldn't challenge, but I have been wrong before:
Carlton, Collingwood, Bulldogs, Melbourne, GWS, St.Kilda
I know he cops a lot on here, but as far as gains go, VB should be there.

Also Lynch, Hendo and B Crouch struggled after injury and tex took a while to get going.

Although injuries to sauce and mookay are a worry already.

Didn't Sauce have a similar injury scare this time last year? Maybe I'm dreaming it.

I'd probably agree with Walsh. I think the side is certainly talented enough that we can make the Top 8, but I think history has shown that you need to be a top 4 side to really contend for a Premiership and i'd say we've still got some work to do before we think we're on the same level as teams like Hawthorn, Sydney, Port, Fremantle (for this year at least) nd Geelong.

I'm calling bullshit on the beer deductions unless you can refer me to the actual case (law case, not case of beer that was drunk). I've never heard of it.

(Edit: well blow me down - http://www.iknow.cch.com.au/#!/docu...supreme-court-of-new-south-wales-06-july-1990 )

And fully franked dividends at that level of income would increase tax payable.

I remember the case (not of beer) well because it made huge headlines at the time and my memory for trivia is elephantine.
Not sure what you mean about franked dividends. Surely the company pays a great portion of the tax on the dividend whatever the tax rate of the recipient?

I remember the case (not of beer) well because it made huge headlines at the time and my memory for trivia is elephantine.
Not sure what you mean about franked dividends. Surely the company pays a great portion of the tax on the dividend whatever the tax rate of the recipient?

Pretty sure the franking credit is based on the company tax rate, so if you are personally on the top tax rate you will be making up the difference.

Round 1 last season McKernan, Johnston and Porplyzia all played. That in it's self is enough for me to believe this year we will be a much improved side.

There will be 5 definite omissions from that round 1 team in Smack, Johnston, Porps, Rutten and Sam Shaw.

Would love to see another 3 ommissions in Brodie Martin, Wright and Pods.

There will be 5 definite omissions from that round 1 team in Smack, Johnston, Porps, Rutten and Sam Shaw.

Would love to see another 3 ommissions in Brodie Martin, Wright and Pods.

Out: McKernan, Johnston, Porplyzia, Rutten, Shaw, Martin, Wright, Podsiadly.
In: Walker, Jenkins, Douglas, Hartigan, Cheney, Cameron, Atkins, Lynch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. Yes, Kerridge. I think we will let him go and hope that his 5 goal average against us was due to

1) Spud being unfit to play in 2013
2) Your entire teams dominance in the first 2014 match

The only tagging job i think will occur will be McDonald on Sloane, or perhaps Bastinac on Sloane.
Sloane not Dangerfield? Why is that?

So it's a tick over 4 weeks until R1 of the NAB comp. Does anyone have any insight into our match sim stuff thus far? Anyone with any info to share?

Club is iron clad this PS.

Sloane not Dangerfield? Why is that?

Well, firstly Danger doesn't seem to me to be the kinda guy you can tag. He wins so much contested footy it looks to be an exercise in futility. Also, Sloane absolutely smashed us in that game towards the end of 2013, and i think it might cause nightmares for Scott. Last but not least, McDonald did a ripper job on Sloane in the Hobart game last year. Can't see why we wouldn't try it again.

Danger might have someone minding him at stoppages but you can't tag everyone.

Midfield battle should be good

Danger
Sloane
Thompson
Crouch
Crouch
Douglas
Plus part timers (not sure if there are other permanents ive missed)

vs

Swallow
Cunnington
Ziebell
Wells
NDS
Bastinac
Plus part timers

Well, firstly Danger doesn't seem to me to be the kinda guy you can tag. He wins so much contested footy it looks to be an exercise in futility. Also, Sloane absolutely smashed us in that game towards the end of 2013, and i think it might cause nightmares for Scott. Last but not least, McDonald did a ripper job on Sloane in the Hobart game last year. Can't see why we wouldn't try it again.

Danger might have someone minding him at stoppages but you can't tag everyone.

Midfield battle should be good

Danger
Sloane
Thompson
Crouch
Crouch
Douglas
Plus part timers (not sure if there are other permanents ive missed)

vs

Swallow
Cunnington
Ziebell
Wells
NDS
Bastinac
Plus part timers
Makes sense. I think we have to win the midfield battle because your forward line could give us some headaches.

Also I wouldn't count on Matt Crouch being playing in round 1. Perhaps by the end of the season but I think Van Berlo, Kerridge and Grigg will be ahead of him in the order of mids.

Makes sense. I think we have to win the midfield battle because your forward line could give us some headaches.

Also I wouldn't count on Matt Crouch being playing in round 1. Perhaps by the end of the season but I think Van Berlo, Kerridge and Grigg will be ahead of him in the order of mids.

Good to know.

Lot's of unknowns in this game. Will the Crows function cohesively in their first game under a new coach? Will Waite hinder or help Petrie in his first game?

Will Kerridge kick 12 ;)

So it's a tick over 4 weeks until R1 of the NAB comp. Does anyone have any insight into our match sim stuff thus far? Anyone with any info to share?

Club is iron clad this PS.
Just one even painfully longer than usual pre season.

Season can't come quick enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back