Game Day Pre-Season - West Coast vs Adelaide (Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting bit about ROB in the Weagles trial from the Mongrel Punt site, which brings home that ROB is costing us goals…

He had another couple of instances where Reilly O’Brien had a clear opportunity to take a grab in this game, but bobbled the ball and lost it. These are the moments that prevent him from becoming an A-Grade ruck. One of these instances cost the Crows a goal, with Jack Petruccelle earning a free kick from the ensuing ground level contest after ROB fumbled.
Some of you might be my vintage (1980's born, raised on a diet of 1990/2000's AFL & Ch9 Cricket) and I distinctly remember Spider Everitt and Barry Hall and a couple of other big dudes having trouble with their eyesight after they turned 30years old and when they got lasic surgery their hand-eye coordination and particularly marking improved. I wonder whether big ROB needs his eyes checked? It might explain the bobbling of the ball. Given the size of the pipes on the man, I doubt the issue is a lack of hand/forearm strength.

That's a really good observation.
I've just watched the highlights and was wondering how to summarise what I'd seen. You nailed it.

OK, they're highlights, but 3 things stood out:
--- hard running and speed of ball movement, complemented by
--- a big increase in skill level
--- players' lowering their eyes and looking for a target, rather than the old bombs-away!! strategy (which I loathed).

Soligo's evasion through traffic at 0.32, dazzling.
Walker, Fogarty and Keays looked good. Keays forward is working well, better than McHenry/Murphy there.
Laird-as-Chicken-man again in 2023 (he's everywhere! he's everywhere!)
McAdam freed up and running well.

Negative consequence: it was only a trial game against a much weaker opponent, but I saw enough to think that I'm going to be paying up to jenny61_99. :sneaky:
Good Summary Crowbloke:

I went to the game at MinRes Park. Lucky to get in. It was free event, but ticketed, and I didn't buy a ticket and just showed up at the ground. SOLD OUT! But the guy on the gate was good, he got us to stand around near the gate and patrons going in were asked if they were using their tickets, and if they weren't, then stragglers like me got to sneak in.

Pressure from the Crows was outstanding right from the first siren. Fog looks mint in the flesh and physically primed for a big year. I was interested in how the young a new lads played - Michallanney looks ready for a role in the backline straightaway, he wasn't rushed or flustered at any point. Rankine only kicked one but his pace and pressure around the forward line was noticeable and he hurried/closed Eagles defenders multiple times. Pedlar showed a bit and stood out. Sloane was solid on the wing. Our midfield was well organised and were dominant with the only exception being that Reuben Ginbey gave them the slip in the second half and they didn't have an answer for him.

All up... the group looked organised, fit, hungry and ready for Round 1. Need to put the asterisk on it because West Coast is in a horrible spot with their list and were pretty poor in the first half in particular.

I'm biased... but I saw enough to put a few bob on the Crows to make the Top8 at $4.50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back