Preview Gold Coast Suns v Adelaide Crows, Saturday 16th of March, People First Stadium, Gold Coast, 7.40pm Adelaide time.

Who will be the sub?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was starting to comment on the 'Round 1 team' thread and then thought we probably need a preview thread, so have brought a few of my comments from there over to here. I have created this to get the ball rolling. It is more of a discussion starter rather than a comprehensive preview.

The 23, barring injury, seems pretty clear:

B: Michalanney, Butts, Worrell
HB: Milera, Keane, Hinge
C: Soligo, Dawson, Jones
HF: Berry, Walker, Keays
F: Rachele, Fogarty, Pedlar
R: O'Brien, Crouch, Rankine
I: Smith, Laird, Sholl, Burgess
Sub: Murphy

Some have suggested that Berry might start as sub. With the surface likely to be a bit greasy in a night game on the Gold Coast, I think Berry should be, and probably will be, in the starting 22, for his contested work and tackling. Barring injury I think we have the 23. Who will be the sub is somewhat intriguing.

Gold Coast were impressive against Richmond, although Richmond were a bit undermanned. Richmond came back a little, but Gold Coast were always in control and possibly took the foot off the pedal a little. Hardwick's influence, with the pressure, particularly up forward, was evident.

Gold Coast have talent all over the ground, but so do we now. They have some very dangerous forwards. Butts will probably take King, and Keane on the very dangerous Jack Lukosius. Does Max Michalanney get the gig on the exciting Malcolm Rosas?

Plenty of talent on display from both sides in the middle. Against the likes of Anderson, the eye catching Touk Miller and Rowell, we have Laird, Dawson, and Crouch. Both bat deep and can rotate plenty though there. Rankine looks exciting for us and can add the x-factor and flair we have been lacking; Pedlar, while still a work in progress who has to increase his possession count provides some burst, and Rachele looks to have plenty of upside. Berry gives us extra grunt, good depth and run, if he can continue his pre season form. He too can play forward if need be. So plenty of depth and flexibiliity.

We know our forward line has a good balance of talls and smalls, even with Thilthorpe out. I am looking forward to having a very good look at Burgess, likely to debut for the Crows, against his old team. He certainly will know the conditions.

I think us having the week to observe them and then plan will help us be prepared. We will not be taken by surprise or ambushed. We know what we are up against, that it is a challenge, and will take nothing for granted. I am sure plenty of thinking and planning is taking place.

That the game is taking place at night means the heat wont be such a factor as there is no direct sun. With humidity, however, it will still be taxing. They are used to this. We have been doing heat training also, courtesy of our hot March, and are fit.

We havn't travelled well of late, and this is something the club has been concerned about, focusing on and addressing over the off season. We are hungry, really want to make a statement and feel entitled after the controversial end to the last game of last season.

This game has all the hallmarks of being a real arm wrestle. I think we will run over them late to win by a few goals, perhaps even a fraction more.

I'm 50/50 on this one

I think Gold Coasts curve is as good as ours and while its hard to rate Richmond just yet they did extremely well

I liked the preview of our 2026 FF - he is getting more and more comfortable each year. Lukosius will thrive under Dimma just in time for us

Like most I think we might struggle back but it will be an interesting watch

Looking forward to a debutant and a win to open the season

Crows by 7 points

Gold Coast at night is a tough gig with the dew they get up there. Will the bye be an advantage or disadvantage? You'd think fresh legs would be a plus or is it better to be "match hardened"? There's always the chance they get carried away with the first up win under a new coach.

I have them favorites. But this is the sort of eight point match we need to win to make finals.

I was starting to comment on the 'Round 1 team' thread and then thought we probably need a preview thread, so have brought a few of my comments from there over to here. I have created this to get the ball rolling. It is more of a discussion starter rather than a comprehensive preview.

The 23, barring injury, seems pretty clear:

B: Michalanney, Butts, Worrell
HB: Milera, Keane, Hinge
C: Soligo, Dawson, Jones
HF: Berry, Walker, Keays
F: Rachele, Fogarty, Pedlar
R: O'Brien, Crouch, Rankine
I: Smith, Laird, Sholl, Burgess
Sub: Murphy

Some have suggested that Berry might start as sub. With the surface likely to be a bit greasy in a night game on the Gold Coast, I think Berry should be, and probably will be, in the starting 22, for his contested work and tackling. Barring injury I think we have the 23. Who will be the sub is somewhat intriguing.

Gold Coast were impressive against Richmond, although Richmond were a bit undermanned. Richmond came back a little, but Gold Coast were always in control and possibly took the foot off the pedal a little. Hardwick's influence, with the pressure, particularly up forward, was evident.

Gold Coast have talent all over the ground, but so do we now. They have some very dangerous forwards. Butts will probably take King, and Keane on the very dangerous Jack Lukosius. Does Max Michalanney get the gig on the exciting Malcolm Rosas?

Plenty of talent on display from both sides in the middle. Against the likes of Anderson, the eye catching Touk Miller and Rowell, we have Laird, Dawson, and Crouch. Both bat deep and can rotate plenty though there. Rankine looks exciting for us and can add the x-factor and flair we have been lacking; Pedlar, while still a work in progress who has to increase his possession count provides some burst, and Rachele looks to have plenty of upside. Berry gives us extra grunt, good depth and run, if he can continue his pre season form. He too can play forward if need be. So plenty of depth and flexibiliity.

We know our forward line has a good balance of talls and smalls, even with Thilthorpe out. I am looking forward to having a very good look at Burgess, likely to debut for the Crows, against his old team. He certainly will know the conditions.

I think us having the week to observe them and then plan will help us be prepared. We will not be taken by surprise or ambushed. We know what we are up against, that it is a challenge, and will take nothing for granted. I am sure plenty of thinking and planning is taking place.

That the game is taking place at night means the heat wont be such a factor as there is no direct sun. With humidity, however, it will still be taxing. They are used to this. We have been doing heat training also, courtesy of our hot March, and are fit.

We havn't travelled well of late, and this is something the club has been concerned about, focusing on and addressing over the off season. We are hungry, really want to make a statement and feel entitled after the controversial end to the last game of last season.

This game has all the hallmarks of being a real arm wrestle. I think we will run over them late to win by a few goals, perhaps even a fraction more.
Butts on King , Keane will take Casboult and Worrell will take Lukoscious

Butts and Keane could swap at times though

Main challenges are their midfield let by Witts Rowell Anderson and co and the conditions - night games this time of year notoriously slippery

Noticed the vic teams were out on their feet late in games with plenty of cramp , Carlton did ok though !

We can win but will need to be firing

Gold Coast at night is a tough gig with the dew they get up there. Will the bye be an advantage or disadvantage? You'd think fresh legs would be a plus or is it better to be "match hardened"? There's always the chance they get carried away with the first up win under a new coach.

I have them favorites. But this is the sort of eight point match we need to win to make finals.

Paul Seedsman mentioned on Twitter how much of an advantage it will be for those teams who have played already. He referred to the match conditioning taking a few rounds until the fitness really kicks in and how these 8 teams will be a week ahead of everyone.

Paul Seedsman mentioned on Twitter how much of an advantage it will be for those teams who have played already. He referred to the match conditioning taking a few rounds until the fitness really kicks in and how these 8 teams will be a week ahead of everyone.

Will be interesting if the 4 games have the same outcome. Looking at the games, the round 0 teams would all start favourite anyway. There'll be a lot of noise if they all get up though.

Will be interesting if the 4 games have the same outcome. Looking at the games, the round 0 teams would all start favourite anyway. There'll be a lot of noise if they all get up though.

If it was an equitable league those 8 teams who got the game in opening round would play each other in Rd 1.

Leaving the 10 other teams to play their first matchup against each other.

If it was an equitable league those 8 teams who got the game in opening round would play each other in Rd 1.

Leaving the 10 other teams to play their first matchup against each other.

If Seed is correct, it won't even out until a few rounds in. They can't keep playing each other for 5 weeks. I get why they did it and there was 3 good matchups, but there is a risk as to advantage/disadvantage. That said, they handed us and Port an extra home game out of nowhere, so hard to complain too much.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry tagging Rowell will go a long way to getting us the win. No. 1 tackler in the AFL 2 years ago. Get it done.

Seeing taggers have all but died out as a role, it would likely do us more harm then good to use Berry like that. Especially as we're not built around using a tagger/sacrificing an inside spot.

Nullifying Rowell will be huge.

Do we try to have Crouch go toe to toe with him, or put a Berry on him to negate his impact?

It sounds counter intuitive, but I think you just ignore Rowell and back our inside group to hold in a slugging match.

Last edited:
It sounds counter intuitive, but I think you just ignore Rowell and back our inside group to hold in a slugging match.
I think we need to cut Rowell out at all costs. How did Richmond get back into the game. We cannot let GC get away with a big lead.

Relative impact of stoppages won will be the deciding factor. We'll likely win our share and if we can get on the attacking side of the contest in the hands of our better users, we'll be up and around the mark.

Seeing taggers have all but died out as a role, it would likely do us more harm then good to use Berry like that. Especially as we're not built around using a tagger/sacrificing an inside spot.
Rowell would have twice the output of Berry, so if Berry reduces Rowell’s output by 50% while sacrificing his own by 50% it’s a net win for us

I know it changes our running patterns etc but you have to adapt to different situations, especially against the all time clearance record holder whose likely going to tear you apart if you don’t.

Can’t say I’m confident about this matchup after seeing GC’s mids carve it up last week. Daws and co will have to bring their A game, also ROB needs to at least break even with Witts (not sure how likely that is)

I’m confident we can match up well against them elsewhere around the ground, though

This game is going to be a big litmus test for 2024.

I tend to think that if we're going to be a bolter this year this is a game we'll win.

Time for the excuses to end for us not winning these types of games... Crows to win by 18 points.

I think we need to cut Rowell out at all costs. How did Richmond get back into the game. We cannot let GC get away with a big lead.

Richmond got back in the game because Gold Coast put the cue in the rack, and went bruise free in that third quarter. 87% KE is just ridiculous.

Rowell isn't that good to the point he's transformational and Gold Coast aren't that 1-dimensional. Focus too much on Rowell and Anderson + Miller will kill you.

Relative impact of stoppages won will be the deciding factor. We'll likely win our share and if we can get on the attacking side of the contest in the hands of our better users, we'll be up and around the mark.

Gold Coast relative impact will be the deciding factor, not so much Adelaide's. After all, if Adelaide is getting the ball on the outside, it's a dangerous scenario for Gold Coast - regardless if it's from our clearance or not seeing how strong our outside game has become.

If Adelaide is on top on the inside and scoring at will for sustained periods, this one could quickly get ugly for Gold Coast.

Rowell would have twice the output of Berry, so if Berry reduces Rowell’s output by 50% while sacrificing his own by 50% it’s a net win for us

I know it changes our running patterns etc but you have to adapt to different situations, especially against the all time clearance record holder whose likely going to tear you apart if you don’t.

The problem with that assumption is now we're playing Berry for 90% of the game on the inside and every minute Berry gets in a negating role is taken away from Crouch and Laird. Both of who are better ball winners at this point of their respective career, and two of the better ball winners in the league at the moment So it's not just Berry who takes a hit because he's stuck minding someone but you've inadvertently taken out one of your better players in the process. Heck, it may even get to the stage it takes minutes away from Dawson or Rankine, reducing their output.

You have to adapt to different situations, however you don't cut your nose off to spite your face. Tagging Rowell is cutting your nose off, especially as your just reacting to what was a one off performance. In this case, you just let Laird/Crouch head-to-head Rowell, depending who is on the ground at that time with a prioirty towards Laird.

Last edited:
Richmond got back in the game because Gold Coast put the cue in the rack, and went bruise free in that third quarter. 87% KE is just ridiculous.

Rowell isn't that good to the point he's transformational and Gold Coast aren't that 1-dimensional. Focus too much on Rowell and Anderson + Miller will kill you.
At half time. :think:

I swear our game vs GC will be nothing like Richmond's.

We make the contests the most contested environment possible and then back ourselves to win in that situation since we face it week in and week out and should be good at it. GC OTOH will try and get outside and open it up and get lots of clear kick mark kick mark or handball recieve while running to hand ball give on the run. Witts vs ROB will be an important contest. We need ROB to nullify his taps. If he can I doubt you will see Rowell with clearance results anywhere like last week, as in, he will get less, but might still get a fair few but they should be under a lot more pressure. I guess I worry that if it gets dewy and slippery then our ability to control contests and keep it inside is often lessened and this will help them. If it does get slippery, at least we have a good compliment of dangerous small forwards whereas GC isn't really known so well in that regard. There were 3 or 4 games last year that were slippery and it really seemed to harm us, however, there were also 3 or 4 that we did really well in.

I think our preseason games have hidden a lot of improvement in our actual style. Last offseason I noted we had improved a lot of our kick mark kick mark stuff and I think we would've worked on that a lot again this year, however because of the terrible windy conditions most of our games were played in, on grounds with no grandstand protection, none of this was on show. I'm hoping this is a trick we have up our sleeves that GC wont be ready for.

Our preseason forward entries also looked really awkward compared to what seemed normal last season, again, a product of the conditions, hopefully this masked a lot of planned tall forward running patterns.

Even some of our players have been fairly hidden, Soligo was touted to have come right on this year, but we only saw him a tiny bit in the preseason. Hopefully he can come out in this game and surprise them.

Even though we've talked up a less running more weights pre season, a lot of our running players have been held in high regard, Keays apparently fitter than ever, Sholl being picked in main team every time and doing well, Murphy extremely fit, Soligo a lot better.

Hopefully last season Hingey is back.

I want to see us do better away.
I want to see us interrupt opposition runs sooner.
I'd like to see us get off to a good start in the game and in the season.

That's about my wrap for this game.

Back