Preview Changes: R21 vs Gold Coast, Saturday August 5th, 1.40pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Sloane has averaged 20 touches a game on reduced game time this year (around 65% on average). If he were playing typical midfield minutes aka Laird/Dawson then unquestionably he would be up around 24-25 touches a game

While I agree he has dropped away since the bye - his year has been nowhere near as bad as some on here paint it to be

Top 5 for disposals for the year(including average disposals) (top 3 for tackles) in a season where his game time has been managed in almost every game - which the club has indicated a number of times.

Let’s not just use hyperbole to describe players on here all the time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's averaging 19. With no impact within it.

His need to play reduced hours to not impact games isn't the mitigation you present it as.

Important to have Keays-type senior role players who have the capacity to hit the contest hard, run both ways, provide avenues to goal etc. Can’t have too many of them in the one side, though (assuming one or two glaring weaknesses per player), which has been a problem for us in recent times

Pedlar obviously has the higher ceiling and is a more potent player, but it’s about finding the right mix and balance

We've not made the finals since 2017, and have won one game against non-bottom two teams in the second half of the year. Why are fans so determined to believe we've gotten the balance right?

Don't get the Murphy hate in here. He plays his role well enough.
What is his role?..

If its a small HF or forward pocket player…

Then

10 goals in 18 games this year and 9 goals in 17 ganes last year.. 9 goals from 15 games in 2021..

Aint a very fxxkn good return for a forward..

Oh, wait, I forgot.. he applies defensive pressure as a forward.. a forward that kicks fxxk all goals.. but is defensive when he’s without the ball..

Carry on…

What is his role?..

If its a small HF or forward pocket player…

Then

10 goals in 18 games this year and 9 goals in 17 ganes last year.. 9 goals from 15 games in 2021..

Aint a very fxxkn good return for a forward..

Oh, wait, I forgot.. he applies defensive pressure as a forward.. a forward that kicks fxxk all goals.. but is defensive when he’s without the ball..

Carry on…
The issue for me is he should be depth not best 22... as doesn't have the upside, even though can't fault his effort.

Will be interesting to watch with the return of Pedlar, then Rankine... as he should be an out.

If they won't bring Cook back into the 22, I'd like to see him Sub a few times. Preference is for him to be in the starting 22, but if not I think he could do well as sub.
Cook needs to be playing these last few weeks in the afl.
He shouldn't have been dropped after his only game.
I hope he gets another go before the end of the season because he just needs afl game time

He's averaging 19. With no impact within it.

His need to play reduced hours to not impact games isn't the mitigation you present it as.

As the year has gone on he has looked slower and slower. I wouldn’t resign him and I think watching some Sanfl Berry seems to have regained his zip. But it doesn’t change the fact that Sloane season has been solid.

Sloane has averaged 20 touches a game on reduced game time this year (around 65% on average). If he were playing typical midfield minutes aka Laird/Dawson then unquestionably he would be up around 24-25 touches a game

While I agree he has dropped away since the bye - his year has been nowhere near as bad as some on here paint it to be

Top 5 for disposals for the year(including average disposals) (top 3 for tackles) in a season where his game time has been managed in almost every game - which the club has indicated a number of times.

Let’s not just use hyperbole to describe players on here all the time

Next year's Rory Sloane is what most are concerned with and what role do you see being his in our best 22 in 2024?

This is a pretty naive comment from you. Just watching Peds during a game and he is gassed early on. Played a good last quarter in the showdown but his second halves for the 3-4 weeks prior indicated he is pretty well out on his feet

Regardless of stats though, Burgess would be watching his load management so we get him through the full year

Keays just keeps running like a sheep dog. That can’t be denied - regardless of kicking ability!

Yeah comes up with some rippas, Apparently Sloane's disposals have never been any good.

We've not made the finals since 2017, and have won one game against non-bottom two teams in the second half of the year. Why are fans so determined to believe we've gotten the balance right?
Where did I suggest we have?

Either way, we’ve been the highest-scoring team in the competition this year, playing one Keays-type player up forward isn’t one of our issues

Where did I suggest we have?

Either way, we’ve been the highest-scoring team in the competition this year, playing one Keays-type player up forward isn’t one of our issues
Why play that “one keays type player” though.. if we dont have to?..

if rankine comes back next week, pedlar rebounds after his rest, rachele is back, mcadam is firing.. all these blokes being very solid talented lads.

then why even bother making a spot for that one “keays type player”?..

if rankine comes back next week, pedlar rebounds after his rest, rachele is back, mcadam is firing.. all these blokes being very solid talented lads.

I’d leave Sloane and Murphy out of the 23 first, in order to accomodate those two

Dunno who that leaves as the ideal sub, it might be Keays, it might be someone else

Next year's Rory Sloane is what most are concerned with and what role do you see being his in our best 22 in 2024?

As per the post just above yours - I wouldn’t resign him. I think he has got everything out of himself this year - has had a solid season but in an era where speed of ball is king you can’t hide him anywhere and I think we have enough kids with enough time on the list to be able to replace him.

So I would definitely move on from him - even if we decide not to keep Crouch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2018 and 2019 were shocking years where Pyke kept picking the same old blokes hoping for a bounce back that never came

Since then we’ve had zero chance to play finals until this year as we’ve been in a deep rebuild

It’s not that hard to understand

Now that we are getting better we are still young and need 5 or 6 senior players but there’s a tipping point especially in midfield where we don’t want to play too many old guys as our midfield won’t improve

Hence we need to play Schoenberg and continue to give Soligo / Pedlar / Rachele minutes in there . At this stage of year at times they’ve looked fatigued and haven’t been able to play in there as much as we’d need / like

You’d expect by next year they’d be able to do it for longer and the older guys play in there less and less ( other than maybe Laird ) this year has been a great stepping stone for Pedlar and Rachele in particular

Also re back half of year you don’t think we played well and could have beaten Collingwood and Melb at MCG ? When is the last time we tested and 50/50 games against 2 of the top 3 teams away then also beaten the 2nd team , of course we are on some sort of the right track with many things to improve on still

Last edited:

Team balance , ability to get to contests provide outlet and clog up spaces defensively , transition run and tire out key oppo playmwmakers play 4 quarters which we struggle with , kick goals etc

Basically brings some things the other forwards don’t and vice versa

He isn't. His extra year is basically a SANFL development role.
Yeah and pigs might fly too, only way Rory won't be considered for AFL selection will be if he's delisted.
hey arnold nicksplat GIF

Yeah and pigs might fly too, only way Rory won't be considered for AFL selection will be if he's delisted.
hey arnold nicksplat GIF
They said that about Thommo as well and he played a game that was so awful he was never to be seen again that year. I don't see a position for Rory next year. Permanent sub isn't the best use of a sub especially when you need to bring it on in the first 5 mins.

They said that about Thommo as well and he played a game that was so awful he was never to be seen again that year.
Exactly why Rory should not get another contract, 34 next season time to give guys like Berry etc the opportunity to take their game to the next level.

Exactly why Rory should not get another contract, 34 next season time to give guys like Berry etc the opportunity to take their game to the next level.
I agree. It's basically a super top up that could have been given as a sanfl development coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back