Preview Changes: R18 vs GWS, Saturday July 15th, 7.10pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

How many unforced changes will we make?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

From AFC site:
" Midfielder Rory Sloane will celebrate his 250th match this weekend and Nicks said he hoped the side could cap the festivities with a win.

Rory is the club really, we put values together as a footy club about care, compassion, connection and courage and Rory is all of those,” said Nicks.

“He’s respected throughout the league and he’s been a real weapon for us this year both on and off the field

“We hope we can return the favour to him, you want to perform well for your champions and he’s a champion of this club
.”"

Two things bother me about the bold highlighted parts:
1) No mention of winning games, or of playing winning footy, wtf?
It's all about the feel-good vibe.
2) "...he's been a real weapon for us..."
ManOman, we are in big trouble.

I've loved Sloaney for years, but he's currently in the worst form of his life and is far from the impact-player he was.
Nicks' comments suggest a One-year extension is on the cards. Sloane has been a Champion of the Club, but his time is surely over?

From AFC site:
" Midfielder Rory Sloane will celebrate his 250th match this weekend and Nicks said he hoped the side could cap the festivities with a win.

Rory is the club really, we put values together as a footy club about care, compassion, connection and courage and Rory is all of those,” said Nicks.

“He’s respected throughout the league and he’s been a real weapon for us this year both on and off the field

“We hope we can return the favour to him, you want to perform well for your champions and he’s a champion of this club
.”"

I mean it is for a press conference/interview, but what a load of bullshit.

He was a real weapon for Essendon on the weekend with his poor decision making, poor disposal, and poor work ethic helping break down our structure.

From AFC site:

.”"

Two things bother me about the bold highlighted parts:
1) No mention of winning games, or of playing winning footy, wtf?
It's all about the feel-good vibe.
2) "...he's been a real weapon for us..."
ManOman, we are in big trouble.

I've loved Sloaney for years, but he's currently in the worst form of his life and is far from the impact-player he was.
Nicks' comments suggest a One-year extension is on the cards. Sloane has been a Champion of the Club, but his time is surely over?
He’ll be best 22 again next year

The difference is they expect to go deep into Finals, managing players. Using the Carlton game as a rest stop. Win is a bonus
Who are Port managing?
Legit injuries to Dixon, JHF, and McKenzie.
Rioli's out for personal reasons and the others apart from Burton are also rans in Narkle and Hayes.

Who are Port managing?
Legit injuries to Dixon, JHF, and McKenzie.
Rioli's out for personal reasons and the others apart from Burton are also rans in Narkle and Hayes.
At least they can manage their also rans. Unlike us.... McHenry and Murphy locked for the next 2 years...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok perhaps look at it a different way;

Who are playing that we could definitely improve on;
Murphy
sloane
mchenry
scholl

Getting closer to the end;
Smith
crouch [currently not best 23]

doodee probably gone

so there’s 5 playing Saturday that we should be looking at upgrading - that’s almost 25% of the team we should by trying other guys on the list to see if they are in fact bettering the team.
Clearly we are after Redman to help with replacing Smith, but Brodie has been good this year and is potentially having his best season since 2017

So… in your opinion..

How long do we continue with sholl, mchenry and murphy dishing up one good game in every 5-7 games that they play?..

They’ve been doing this for 5 years now..

Do we give them another 5 years of doing it?.. then give someone else a run if they dont change?..

Who knows.. maybe the club is right and they will all of a sudden become consistently great players that play 20 great games a season instead of 3 or 4..

Just wondering how long you are comfortable to persist with these lads for…

I still remember the couple of puff pieces earlier in the year talking him up after his couple of good games.

Can someone please translate this :drunk: into English? :sneaky:
Sounds like Yoda

GIF by Star Wars

Most disappointed that Schoey was dumped as he seemed to be the cleanest of our mids when he came on last week. Should've been Sholl. Murphy was next to useless too in the small / midget forward role...IMO they'd get more out of him in the midfield rotations instead of Sloane. McAdam in is good, as he can at least mark a ball over his head. Who do we assign to Toby Greene? Hinge or Worrell possibly.
It’s funny how quickly change their tune on this board, earlier in the year there were quite a number on this board never wanting him to play AFL for us again and even talked down any dominant SANFL game as ‘he should dominate at that level anyway’

It’s funny how quickly change their tune on this board, earlier in the year there were quite a number on this board never wanting him to play AFL for us again and even talked down any dominant SANFL game as ‘he should dominate at that level anyway’
Some on this board write players off too quickly.

For Schoenberg he has talent, so it's a question of whether he is going to work his arse off to make it.

Should have been rewarded for his recent good form & kept in the team imo.

Some on this board write players off too quickly.

For Schoenberg he has talent, so it's a question of whether he is going to work his arse off to make it.

Should have been rewarded for his recent good form & kept in the team imo.
I agree, the kid is a talent and has shown he can dominate SANFL and play well at AFL level. His omission was the most surprising selection for me this week.

I agree, the kid is a talent and has shown he can dominate SANFL and play well at AFL level. His omission was the most surprising selection for me this week.
By surprising... I assume you mean you disagree. ;)

Surely deserving ahead of either Murphy or Sholl.

Some big outs for the Giants this week. Their best interceptor (Haynes), a solid key defender (Keefe), their best on baller (Green) and a decent forward/mid (O’Halloran). No better week to get them and we will be up for Sloaney.
No excuses at home.

We just need to play close attention Kelly as he usually burns us.

Also, as I said prior to round 1, Max on Greene please. Hinge & Worrell to double team where needed.

No excuses at home.

We just need to play close attention Kelly as he usually burns us.

Also, as I said prior to round 1, Max on Greene please. Hinge & Worrell to double team where needed.
Would send Keays to Kelly, especially with no Green to worry about. Otherwise, stick him on Whitfield at half back.

Back