Game Day Pre-Season - West Coast vs Adelaide (Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm late to the party here in this thread, but very enjoyable game to watch :thumbsu: Some random thoughts...

Keays as permanent forward is a winner for mine. Unlike most of our young mids who they keep trying as forwards, he's actually a natural up there, and it opens up a spot for someone else in the midfield. He can have the occasional burst through the middle just to mix things up and assist with rotations, but he should spend 90% of his time up forward.

Hinge has been an excellent addition, I love his kick. Between him and Dawson, it's nice to see a couple of quality left-foot kicks in the side!

Soligo and Berry are genuine guns. Two very different players but if we can keep them both they're going to be brilliant for us.

Schoenberg showed flashes of his 2021 form, but also patches of his 2022 form. More of the former please, Harry!

Fogarty looks set for a fantastic season, that forward line is going to be fun to watch going forward!

Thankfully I missed the painful Himmelberg vs Thilthorpe argument earlier in this thread, but get Thilthorpe in there and get Himmelberg out. I don't care about their relative form at the moment. Thilthorpe has an AFL future, Himmelberg doesn't. There's no value in him rucking at SANFL level. He's very obviously a confidence player. Back him in and let him work his way into form.

Pedlar definitely has something. That combination of power, speed and x-factor is pretty rare. If he plays up forward he's going to get one of the weakest defenders too, given the other forwards we have that need to be minded. The time is right to start giving him regular AFL games.

As good as our defensive structure was, it was irritating how often we created a turnover only to just blindly bomb it forward. There should definitely be a free player when you create a turnover, need to find them.

It’s odd though, that’s not how we played in the internal and against Freo, against West Coast it was just run and attack, no chip chip chip kicking

I think it’s quite plausible that when under pressure we will revert to the ‘chip chip only move forward with perfection’ game style. I love the kamikaze style that places trust in the talent/competitiveness of the blokes ahead of the ball. And we’ve played that style very well. But we’ve also closed up shop after a couple of losses and shelved a winning style in favour of one that minimises the degree of loss. Will be an interesting year.

It appears we have switched our game plan from loss minimisation to attacking...
That's a really good observation.
I've just watched the highlights and was wondering how to summarise what I'd seen. You nailed it.

OK, they're highlights, but 3 things stood out:
--- hard running and speed of ball movement, complemented by
--- a big increase in skill level
--- players' lowering their eyes and looking for a target, rather than the old bombs-away!! strategy (which I loathed).

Soligo's evasion through traffic at 0.32, dazzling.
Walker, Fogarty and Keays looked good. Keays forward is working well, better than McHenry/Murphy there.
Laird-as-Chicken-man again in 2023 (he's everywhere! he's everywhere!)
McAdam freed up and running well.

Negative consequence: it was only a trial game against a much weaker opponent, but I saw enough to think that I'm going to be paying up to jenny61_99. :sneaky:

The post game report from the sanfl game was that Thilthorpe was the main ruck with Borlase for support. He apparently rucked for much more of the game than they were planning and was apparently quite good. I'd say being no.1 ruck in the sanfl for a few weeks is a good move for his development, rather than throwing him in to ruck against people like Preuss immediately.
Anyone know why this happened. Where was Strachan?

His Dad (Ben Hollands) played several seasons for West Adelaide in the 2000's. I believe Elijah was born here and grew up in Adelaide becoming a Crows supporter.
Elijah and Oliver's mother is a SA girl too IIRC, pretty sure their father met her while playing his trade for West Adelaide in Adelaide after a stint with Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elijah and Oliver's mother is a SA girl too IIRC, pretty sure their father met her while playing his trade for West Adelaide in Adelaide after a stint with Richmond.
We need to chuck the lure out..

Elijah would be perfect for our needs.

Hopefully in the past two years Rankine and Elijah had a good relationship and Rankine can help with the luring..

Theres a connection there with him being a crows supporter growing up, past family history with the city of Adelaide etc.

The only thing that could fxxk it is if he’s met a young gold coast lass..

I really liked how they used Rachele in the trial. Seemed to be following the footy rather than parked in the forward line. Every time he got it, he did something good.

McAdam also played higher up the ground than usual. He had way more impact than he would have as a pure forward.
Fog also worked up the ground.

Clearly our forward line is going to be more fluid & unpredictable...

How bad does Kelly look for West Coast?

Shocking trade.

They probably need to cut their losses with him like we did with Gibbs.

I think he looked better at Geelong because he never had to be the man, he was a big bodied midfielder who could run and it suited Geelong perfectly as teams were making plans for Dangerfield, Selwood, Gablett and to a lesser extent Duncan. He flourished in that environment but it was an environment that made Sam Menagola look handy.

Now that he is with WC, he has to be the man and he doesn't have the game for it, he is a very good player but I think it is wearing him down being the number 1 mid

I think it’s quite plausible that when under pressure we will revert to the ‘chip chip only move forward with perfection’ game style. I love the kamikaze style that places trust in the talent/competitiveness of the blokes ahead of the ball. And we’ve played that style very well. But we’ve also closed up shop after a couple of losses and shelved a winning style in favour of one that minimises the degree of loss. Will be an interesting year.
Must be just me but I reckon we’ve actually hit up more 20-30m passes to guys presenting at the football

It’s just that it’s been in more dangerous and direct positions rather than just maintaining possession

Ball movement has looked much improved hence the increase in scores from turnovers

Wouldn’t mind seeing our uncontested mark stats although it doesn’t show the full picture re moving ball forward effectively vs sideways possession maintenance

Must be just me but I reckon we’ve actually hit up more 20-30m passes to guys presenting at the football

It’s just that it’s been in more dangerous and direct positions rather than just maintaining possession

Ball movement has looked much improved hence the increase in scores from turnovers

Wouldn’t mind seeing our uncontested mark stats although it doesn’t show the full picture re moving ball forward effectively vs sideways possession maintenance
It was interesting that, despite the thrashing, most stats were actually pretty even: so much for stats!
However, the keys were obviously inside 50s and marks inside 50, where we had huge advantages.

Taken together, this suggests that we were much more efficient than WC in transferring possessions into impact.

It was interesting that, despite the thrashing, most stats were actually pretty even: so much for stats!
However, the keys were obviously inside 50s and marks inside 50, where we had huge advantages.

Taken together, this suggests that we were much more efficient than WC in transferring possessions into impact.

Held the ball in our half and created heaps of repeat entries. Wore them down with constant pressure to defend

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did Barnett play in the 2nd game with the reserves? Anyone see how he went?

Also didn't really notice Doedee much, not sure if that's good as he was blanketing his player or if he playing too far off them to have an impact.

McAdam was excellent he's very good at delivery the ball inside 50 needs some credit as over the preseason it seemed he missed a bit of it but looks in great condition

How bad does Kelly look for West Coast?

Shocking trade.

They probably need to cut their losses with him like we did with Gibbs.
Rather illogical trade for WC ... ageing list and due for a deep rebuild and while you can understand liking what Kelly looked like at Geelong, the best of Kelly's career would stretch over the unavoidable rebuild that was coming up.

Kelly would be on the slide by the time they're on the up, where as they could have taken 2 r1 and 1 early r2 pick to the 2020 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back