Toast Kane Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the better images you'll see.
Hairs standing on the back of the neck stuff. Love it!

Kane is a champion guy - club champ many times over... He has certainly got what he deserved.

Anyone else think he has slowed down a bit in the last month and a bit? Not getting nearly as much of the ball, though he has been used more as a tagger.
Just his kicking is off. I didn't find myself cringing at his looping 20m kicks vs Carlton mainly because half his disposals were handballs.

Couldn't understand the calls for Kornes to retire in our midseason lull, he's still an important part of our best 22 we don't have anyone that could tag a gun mid like him ditto for Monfries on the gun running half back, Kade Simpson is probably still copping it from SC/DT fans for his season low 27.

The argument is that he could demand the ball less & just focus on his tagging job which he's been doing of late but I still think he can be an ok link option at times, though I'd prefer to see the better disposers in our side ignore his calls unless they're about to be caught & he's on his own.

I still think he's one of the better taggers in the comp & at his age that's a pretty fair effort.

I've got him coming 3rd in my after match votes behind Gray and Boak so he's had another super year.

Legend.

Just thinking that it's a bit ordinary that this thread is only 3 pages long.

I guess, like most people, Kornes isn't in my favourite dozen or so players, but gee whiz has he been awesome for our Club.
I also probably think that the roast Kornes thread would be longer haha.

Regardless of your own thoughts, consider:
293 games, 4 Time John Cahill Medallist, 9 time highest disposals in a season (consecutive), 2 time All Australian and most importantly, Premiership player.
(thanks to PAFC website for the stats haha).

That is UNBELIEVABLE! Indeed toast Kane Cornes - and here is wishing for / expecting another strong season from this "old campaigner".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not more pages because he just goes out does his role well and that's that.
Rarely gets in the news for his playing ability, more for his opinion and views and when old greats are mentioned for clubs he is left off the list in the VIC papers and such.

This thread might only be 3 pages because it competes with

Kane Cornes

Kane Cornes 250 games

Kane Cornes new games record holder

Kane re-signs

Can Kane Cornes become Dustin Fletcher of the midfield

Mind you for a few years prior to Ken's arrival, Kane was viewed on these boards by some as the equivalent of finding a mouse in your box of KFC. This wasn't helped by attempts to force him out of the club rather than re-evaluate the role he had evolved into playing. Then came Ken and the rest as they say is history.

Having said that, he won his 4th John Cahill medal in 2012 under the coach who was trying to show him the door, so it's fair to say his renaissance started earlier than Ken's arrival, but Ken helped cement his place in a successful team.

Kane's best and fairest speech in 2012 was terrific where he basically told our young midfielders that they were all more talented than him and if they worked harder they would be up there instead of him. How prophetic that advice has been.

Last edited:
Just thinking that it's a bit ordinary that this thread is only 3 pages long.

I guess, like most people, Kornes isn't in my favourite dozen or so players, but gee whiz has he been awesome for our Club.
I also probably think that the roast Kornes thread would be longer haha.

Regardless of your own thoughts, consider:
293 games, 4 Time John Cahill Medallist, 9 time highest disposals in a season (consecutive), 2 time All Australian and most importantly, Premiership player.
(thanks to PAFC website for the stats haha).

That is UNBELIEVABLE! Indeed toast Kane Cornes - and here is wishing for / expecting another strong season from this "old campaigner".
I will fall off my lounge recliner if I see Kane make a low fast 30m pass to a player instead of his usual loopy hoping pass lol

Kane is an absolute work horse, never stops trying and quite obviously has a required spot in our team.
One day he will be replaced when a younger bloke also plays his role better and shouts out for selection.
His record does not lie. He may not be a flashy player but, * me with a yard broom, he gets the job done.
This year he will make 300 games and he deserves to - well done Kane.

Oh, and thanks for showing some intelligence and class by not becoming a campaigner like your old man.

I will fall off my lounge recliner if I see Kane make a low fast 30m pass to a player instead of his usual loopy hoping pass lol
Like he did in the EF against Collingwood (last qtr, iirc) kicked it inside from the defensive 50 which resulted in a goal. It was the best kick I have ever seen him make, so he is capable, just doesnt do it enough.

I am not his greatest fan, but it has been great to see him turnaround from running into defensive positions getting seagull touches to being a great defensive run-with player that gets alot of the ball and generally uses it pretty well.

Kane loves the club. You can see it in every interview, picture, twitter post, etc.

He is Port through and through. It must drive Gra-Gra nuts. I love it.

This thread might only be 3 pages because it competes with

Kane Cornes

Kane Cornes 250 games

Kane Cornes new games record holder

Kane re-signs

Can Kane Cornes become Dustin Fletcher of the midfield

Mind you for a few years prior to Ken's arrival, Kane was viewed on these boards by some as the equivalent of finding a mouse in your box of KFC. This wasn't helped by attempts to force him out of the club rather than re-evaluate the role he had evolved into playing. Then came Ken and the rest as they say is history.

Having said that, he won his 4th John Cahill medal in 2012 under the coach who was trying to show him the door, so it's fair to say his renaissance started earlier than Ken's arrival, but Ken helped cement his place in a successful team.

Kane's best and fairest speech in 2012 was terrific where he basically told our young midfielders that they were all more talented than him and if they worked harder they would be up there instead of him. How prophetic that advice has been.

In the 2012 preseason he put on 4.2kg of muscle which I don't believe hurt his game at all. At the time he said he did that because he wanted to be stronger around the ball and inside and I think generally that has been the case.

To think most of us would have been happy enough to see the back of him after his dip in form and issues under Primus only a few short years ago.

Kane is a genuine Port Adelaide legend.

Agree with a lot of the sentiments written above, no one can doubt the PAFC legacy he'll leave behind when he's finally decided to call it quits, he was actually on the news last night & didn't rule out playing on beyond this season.

I know we have plenty of midfielders coming through albeit not for his exact role (though imo O'Shea would succeed him nicely), there'd still be a large number of opposition playmakers hoping this is the 'old campaigners' last year.

Agree with a lot of the sentiments written above, no one can doubt the PAFC legacy he'll leave behind when he's finally decided to call it quits, he was actually on the news last night & didn't rule out playing on beyond this season.

I know we have plenty of midfielders coming through albeit not for his exact role (though imo O'Shea would succeed him nicely), there'd still be a large number of opposition playmakers hoping this is the 'old campaigners' last year.

I can think of someone at 5aark who would like to see Kane keep playing on beyond this season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back