Toast Kane Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

kaysee

Rising From The Ashes
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Jul 30, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
There are probably some similar threads lying deeper within this board, but I feel moved to create a new one with my name attached to it.

Since 2004 I've been very vocal in my thoughts on KC (no relation ;)). That there was little room for him to improve (no speed, no core strength, chip kicks) and his 2 best assets endurance & tagging wouldn't be enough. Then as the AFL clamped down on taggers his skillset was further reduced. At the end of last year, at his age, I did not think he could change and was merely taking up a roster spot.

The new year started and after a pre-season of changing his ways KC was definitely playing different in the pre-season and deserved his place back in the team. Throughout the year he has also sometimes found his way back in to tagging roles, while still racking up the ball. Not as much as he used to, but the way he uses it and the way he applies himself to the team are marked improvements IMO than anything he produced during his "Choco love infused" B&F years.

Few players can hold their head up high for a consistent season this year, and again whilst his numbers might not be as high as other years... I for one have been very impressed by the way KC has played this season. I am happy to stick my hand up, say I was wrong about him and raise my glass.

GJ.

There are probably some similar threads lying deeper within this board, but I feel moved to create a new one with my name attached to it.

Since 2004 I've been very vocal in my thoughts on KC (no relation ;)). That there was little room for him to improve (no speed, no core strength, chip kicks) and his 2 best assets endurance & tagging wouldn't be enough. Then as the AFL clamped down on taggers his skillset was further reduced. At the end of last year, at his age, I did not think he could change and was merely taking up a roster spot.

The new year started and after a pre-season of changing his ways KC was definitely playing different in the pre-season and deserved his place back in the team. Throughout the year he has also sometimes found his way back in to tagging roles, while still racking up the ball. Not as much as he used to, but the way he uses it and the way he applies himself to the team are marked improvements IMO than anything he produced during his "Choco love infused" B&F years.

Few players can hold their head up high for a consistent season this year, and again whilst his numbers might not be as high as other years... I for one have been very impressed by the way KC has played this season. I am happy to stick my hand up, say I was wrong about him and raise my glass.

GJ.

Yep. Kane has been very good this year. He is playing to his strengths and has played his role for the team well. Much less cheap stat getting and much more constructive, direct football.

Well done Kane and well done Matty Primus (I know neither of these sentiments will go down well on here).

Because they are both patently false.

He has gone from completely hopeless last year back to inoffensive player who is more worried about stopping his man than doing things like shepherding for teammates.

If we want to celebrate that then fine but I think the only player on our list who deserves to have praise heaped on them is Schulz.

All kudos to them and I would definitely pick them in the starting 22. I was one of those that never had any doubt that Kane would be able to change enough to make it back in the starting team, however we are talking about the elite competition in Australia and neither should be top of the pops in 2012.
The fact that Kane and Pfeiffer are in our very best players week in week out says something about the rest of the team.

He has gone from completely hopeless last year back to inoffensive player who is more worried about stopping his man than doing things like shepherding for teammates.
I disagree with the last part. In some past years perhaps, but not this year.

I disagree with the last part. In some past years perhaps, but not this year.
No, definitely this year too.

Thats fine, I'm very accepting of other people being wrong.

He's less terrible than he was last season without a doubt, his tagging ability has returned and that has helped us win games.

But if he were to say, place top 5 in our B&F, it would be sending an awful, awful message to the rest of the playing group about the value of playing as a team.

When Broadbent got caught holding the ball straight after Kane handballed it to him then failed to yell "someone is about to tackle you" I lost some respect for kane.

He has done his job this year though.

Kane Cornes haters are just hating him because he's Kane Cornes at this stage. If another player had performed exactly the same as Kane as this year, everyone would be singing his praises. There's nothing wrong with the way he's playing this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane's been a lot better this year and if he was 2nd in he BnF with Broady after Brad that would be justified by his consistency in a year when our best have been decimated by injury for weeks on end. Disposal has been better this year ... but gee he still likes to go backwards as as first option.

Congratulations Kane Cornes - this weekend plays his 240th game and draws level with Peter Burgoyne as second on all-time Port Adelaide (AFL) club list, behind only Warren Tredrea.

Loved it when Boaky handballed it to Kane after the free was awarded in the middle. Crunched from behind immediately by a Shocker. Payback for doing the same to his team-mates for the past decade? :D

I've liked his year, but he was s**t today. Had no offensive impact and was constantly calling for cheap stats at times where it did nothing to help the team.

Loved it when Boaky handballed it to Kane after the free was awarded in the middle. Crunched from behind immediately by a Shocker. Payback for doing the same to his team-mates for the past decade? :D

That incident is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. A player who's a better kick than Kane has the ball, he has it from a free kick so he can't be put under pressure, and they were surrounded by Freo players. Didn't stop Kane calling for the cheap stat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back