NAB Challenge - Carlton v West Coast Friday 7.10PM est - Mandurah

Remove this Banner Ad

So, I didnt see the game but from what i read Ive picked up that Graham had a shocker. To me its not the end of the world. Let's put it into perspective, its his 2nd full proper AFL pre season and he did show some nice signs towards the back end of last year AND we know that he is fitter than last year too ! So, for mine there are more positives than negatives for Nicky for this year. I think some posters need to re assess their harsh comments. All I'm saying is, its fine to highlight the negatives and point out that he had a shocker but put it into perspective by remembering to ponder the broader picture before posting, thats all.

IMO graham will not be a good long term prospect. Wish him all the best, but just don't see the attribute that gets him 20+ possies a week

Good to see death and taxes aren't the only things that stay constant. A fair portion of posters on here are holding up their end as well.

How about we all wait until the season starts before get too up tight. As someone said a fair portion of the team that played on Friday will be suiting up in the VFL come rnd 1.

West Coast and Bulldogs both field close to full strength sides. Both teams come out with an ACL. Conincidence? Maybe. But they both now have seriously dampened their season. West Coast now without Glass, Waters and MacKenzie from last year so they are super stretched at the back and seeing Darling hasnt even begun training yet which means theyll have to play McGovern back. They are in trouble with that one injury alone. We didnt have 10 of our best 22 and we didnt even send our senior coach.

Coincidence they both got injuries, but they both stacked the odds of getting injuries to key personel by playing more of them. There is still 2 nab cup games to go plus 3 nab cup/practice matches. This is a marathon, not a sprint. We may have lost the match but West Coast are the real losers after the injury. Believe me, we are going about it the right way.

If one of our stars breaks down in Round 1 will it be that important that he was 'managed' through the NAB games? Most of this LTI s**t can be put down to crap luck.

If one of our stars breaks down in Round 1 will it be that important that he was 'managed' through the NAB games? Most of this LTI s**t can be put down to crap luck.
Is it? Do you think easing players into full match conditions with game time loadings as opposed to fielding full teams after one intra club hit out is a good idea? I suspecg even though its nab cup the body is pushed considerably hard between those weeks and injury risk is greater. Judd coming back from injury only to do a hammy in the first minute. Bad luck or bad management? No coincidence he came back through the 2s after he recovered.

And im reminded of the phrase - a coincidence is what you have left over when you apply a bad theory. Two ACLs in nab cup week 1. 2 in 4 games no less.

I'd rather that crap luck not ge given better odds by playing guys like Judd and Thomas in matches like these.
But it's a game of footy, Bs72. They have to play sometime. Posters are suggesting Libba copped an ACL because he played today and shouldn't have. When does he play? Is there some magic protection he gets in the season proper he doesn't have in the NAB?

So when do you say it's ok to play? What's the difference between doing an ACL in NAB Round 1 and Round 1 of the season proper? Couldn't both the ACLs have happened in Round 1 of the H & A?
I think we will do it as such - you play kids with players who have a few years under their belt and you slowly ease the more senior players in week after week phasing out the kids, increasing the loadings on those senior players slowly from 50% game time or whatever it is and up to 80% before the season starts for example. Players who have interupted pre seasons might play longer to get more match fitness up.

Did wce ajd dogs think loading up their best 22 with as much game time as possible was the way to go as a strategy to get a jump start on the comp by having that crew super fit come week 1 as well as strategically knowing each other in terms of game plan? I think they both made mistakes.

I cant sit here and say that both acls wouldnt have happened in round 1. Only 1 acl happens and maybe we arent talking about it. None happen and we certainly wouldnt. But they did happen and you can rule a line through it and say coincidence, but I just dont think thats the case. We all hear that there is no comparison for match day fitness so we know when you go from training on the track and a slight jump up to intra club, players bodies are going to go through a lot more duress in the nab cup. I think those clubs who sustained season ending injuries chose poorly to play that many senior players. Thats my opinion.

Umm not sure playing McKenzie our full back who played 71 out of the last 75 games counts as a risk. ACL's seem pretty unpredictable Lecras did one in a preseason training match simulation drill in 2012. Given this is the second preseason under a new coach is it that big a surprise that we are playing a strong squad all preseason to bed down a new gameplan? Also Waters hadn't played in 18 months and Glass was taking the 2nd best forward last year. McKenzie is a big loss though.

Umm not sure playing McKenzie our full back who played 71 out of the last 75 games counts as a risk. ACL's seem pretty unpredictable Lecras did one in a preseason training match simulation drill in 2012. Given this is the second preseason under a new coach is it that big a surprise that we are playing a strong squad all preseason to bed down a new gameplan? Also Waters hadn't played in 18 months and Glass was taking the 2nd best forward last year. McKenzie is a big loss though.
Daniel Menzel says hi. And btw that is exactly the problem, playing a full strength squad to nail a game plan rather than ease the players loadings in. That imo is the mistake your club has made. Or perhaps back luck. Or both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when do you say it's ok to play? What's the difference between doing an ACL in NAB Round 1 and Round 1 of the season proper? Couldn't both the ACLs have happened in Round 1 of the H & A?

Yes.....unless one of those teams had a bye, :)

Who takes number 1 forward now?

One thing I did notice was Bell's lack of awareness, numerous times I saw him get the ball and steam forward only to run into trouble or get pinged for holding the ball!
For a bloke who has been on the list a few years he needs to sharpen that up quickly otherwise he'll become a liability especially once we play the really good teams.

IMO graham will not be a good long term prospect. Wish him all the best, but just don't see the attribute that gets him 20+ possies a week

he knows where to run to, but for someone playing mostly as an outside mid seems more of a "neat" compact player without any great strings to his bow, and not overly quick

big question is would a top team persist with him (which is how we should look at our players) , and you'd doubt it as he'd b a dime a dozen there, but let's see how he goes this year

I could definitely see Clem starting sub early on in the season. Perfect role for him while he builds a tank he's going to be a very exciting player to watch very happy we picked him :)
Good signs from Jaksch from the game. I hope they can find a way to fit white and Jaksch in the same team surely thery are both required for different reasons come game day. White for toughness and Jaksch for talent?
Might be time for a defensive structure thread :)

One thing I did notice was Bell's lack of awareness, numerous times I saw him get the ball and steam forward only to run into trouble or get pinged for holding the ball!
For a bloke who has been on the list a few years he needs to sharpen that up quickly otherwise he'll become a liability especially once we play the really good teams.
I guess the worrying thing is.. Can something like awareness be massively improved in someone like Bell? It's not there naturally for him and he was a late comer to the game IIRC, so I have my doubts.
I do like what he can bring to the game though.

he knows where to run to, but for someone playing mostly as an outside mid seems more of a "neat" compact player without any great strings to his bow, and not overly quick

big question is would a top team persist with him (which is how we should look at our players) , and you'd doubt it as he'd b a dime a dozen there, but let's see how he goes this year
This is seriously tough love on a 2nd year player who was taken at pick 54

I guess the worrying thing is.. Can something like awareness be massively improved in someone like Bell? It's not there naturally for him and he was a late comer to the game IIRC, so I have my doubts.
I do like what he can bring to the game though.

Perhaps not. In that respect Tom may never be the complete footballer, but then not many players truly achieve that. (Even Juddy has had his kicking questioned from time to time.)
As long as Belly is in a role which capitalizes on his attributes and minimises his shortcomings, he's bound to be an asset. His injury last year came just as he was enjoying a patch of very good footy. He'll get back there, I'm sure.
I love him around goals. He can pounce on the ball and move with the grace, ferocity and power of a big cat. Similarly, his tackles remind me of a large predator mowing down it's prey. Well worth persisting with as an attacking mid/half forward.

Not enough hurt factor but I have seen him do some very clever, skilful stuff. More please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back