Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-02-13/the-midfield-shuffle

Will Shaun Atley move into the middle in 2015? All signs on the training track point to yes, but Brad Scott says it’s a question still to be answered.

Speaking on RSN Racing & Sport on Friday, the North Melbourne coach highlighted Atley’s adaptability, but admitted any move would come on a needs basis.

“There’s no doubt he’s a very good player. He’s very versatile in the type of roles he can play for us, but I think it’s a constant argument,” Scott said.

“The assumption that good defenders always move into the midfield is not quite right, but Shaun is very versatile.

He’ll end up playing for us in 2015 where we need him, so if we need a bit more speed and line-breaking ability through the midfield he’ll play there. If we need him to take the really good opposition small-forward he’ll do that for us.”

Atley has spent much of the pre-season campaign working with North’s on-ballers, an invaluable experience even if he does continue to ply his trade in defence.

Scott said he was confident in his ability, but has learnt from experience that pushing players up the ground isn’t always the best path.

“I had the debate when I was at Collingwood as to whether Heath Shaw was going to be a midfielder in time,” Scott said.

“Certainly I came to the conclusion that we had an All-Australian half-back flanker who was looking to push into the midfield. Sometimes players are just very, very good as half-back flankers.”

After a whirlwind first season in which he played in three finals, Luke McDonald could also be eyeing some variety.

“Luke is in a lot of ways more versatile than even Shaun,” Scott said.

“Luke played a lot of his junior football as a forward. He played for his school and captained Vic Metro in the midfield and for us at the moment he’s playing predominantly as a defender.

“We think in times he’ll play all zones of the ground.”

Just to clarify, BPG = bj's per girl, right?

Ats to the midfield sounds good, moving through the wings and flanks into space at pace and delivering with precision. I do worry at times when he's running at full pace that he loses sight of what's around him as he's almost run straight into his opponents at times without seeing them. Hopefully that happens less in time, otherwise it could be more wingman than pure midfielder.

I thought Atley played quite well in a more advanced role in the last quarter against the Hawks. Might not have had a heap of it but he definitely had an impact. Imagine if we can get his burst out of traffic that ended up with Turner giving it to Swallow for a goal happening 10 times a game from a midfield position. It would be a massive weapon to our side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern with this is the time it will take him to get up to speed (if he even can) with playing in the midfield.

We need to win games now. Are we more likely to do that with Atley as a known quantity in the backline, or in the midfield.

I'm coming around to the thinking that he is better suited to half back as he is more likely to see the game in front of him, which seems to suit him more. Not too sure he is a natural in the congestion or 360 degree game that comes with midfield.

I'm coming around to the thinking that he is better suited to half back as he is more likely to see the game in front of him, which seems to suit him more. Not too sure he is a natural in the congestion or 360 degree game that comes with midfield.
This, was interesting watching him behind the clearance area during a few stoppages, used as run coming up from behind and covering any rebounds balls from chf as a crummer small.

I'm completely on the fence. He does have "stationary evasiveness" ie. can turn on the spot and move in other directions using agility rather than run. Doesn't only get out of trouble at top speed. The question is going to be is he better in the middle than an alternative especially when you take out what he brings to the backline. He was rarely beaten in a one on one last year as a defender and still managed to get up the ground quite a bit.

Nothing to say it can't be a gradual "organic" process of moving him to the midfield unless there is an immediate weakness there that he needs to fill.

Iv always thought Atley is better of at Halfback maybe he can add goals to his game like Mullet does but i think his pace in the backhalf is important.. But if he does play more mid and succeeds good luck to him..

As far as his career trajectory goes it makes sense to gradually move him into a midfield role (especially with Boomer nearing the end of his career).

But to take a phrase from the states, as of 2015/16/17 we are in "win now" mode and it's going to come down to getting the most value out of every player in every position on the list.

I still believe Ats gives us the biggest return in the back half, forgetting about the 1v1 contests he just seems to keep winning, his explosiveness has saved us countless times and I think he just reads the game better when he can see it unfold in front of him and make a decision.

Just my 2c.

I'm on record (somewhere) as suggesting that I suspect he's better in the backline and that his strengths may not automatically transfer to the middle. My reasoning was very similar to what B Tron and KangaRooster have expressed.

If he does move or spend more time in the middle and makes a good fist of it, however, it can't be a bad thing.

I get ya shinte. Similar to *'s "stationery" evasiveness but without a tree's death.

I have a stationary fetish and make no apologies for it - although in this instance it may have coloured my usual spelling finesse.

*Insert distracting joke here about Horace using papyrus so no tree deaths required*

I have a stationary fetish and make no apologies for it - although in this instance it may have coloured my usual spelling finesse.

*Insert distracting joke here about Horace using papyrus so no tree deaths required*
It is a staple part of your lifestyle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back