Media alert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 years tops for me. Paying compensation (if required within your 5 year window) is a waste of $'s. Short contracts also focus the mind.
As long as it's 2 years on top of the 2 left to run. I was thinking extending the 2 left to 5 (so a 3 year extension). At some point you have to have/show faith for a long term strategy, and despite what some may think, 3 (or 4) years isn't that long in footy. A chance to build/develop this list, and a chance to try again due to unforeseen circumstances, as well as make a start on our list beyond that time.
As I said, most would be happy with the vision, start and direction already shown. There's a belief that Leppa is the goods. In 3-4 years' time, I am hoping we'll be in that window of opportunity. I'd rather not worry about our coach being poached.

I agree that I'm very impressed with the start we've had under Leppa but a lot can happen in footy in a short period of time.

At this stage in Voss' tenure we had just made finals, recruited Fevola and were about to win the first four games to sit atop the ladder.

In all likelihood we will extend Leppa's contract, but it is not like there are five clubs circling for his signature.

I see absolutely no need at the moment to be considering a contract extension. Discussions IMO should not even be entertained until mid-2016.

If the board believe their original decision to appoint him was correct and think he can lead us forward, the certainty for the playing group is worth extending him. The guy is focused already. Give him time to put his plans in place.

I agree that I'm very impressed with the start we've had under Leppa but a lot can happen in footy in a short period of time.

At this stage in Voss' tenure we had just made finals, recruited Fevola and were about to win the first four games to sit atop the ladder.

In all likelihood we will extend Leppa's contract, but it is not like there are five clubs circling for his signature.

I see absolutely no need at the moment to be considering a contract extension. Discussions IMO should not even be entertained until mid-2016.
I don't know about that. There seems to have been a swag of clubs who have put on an older bloke in the role and turned them over pretty quickly. Others have been feeling the heat and some more have been in their jobs a long time and may be looked at as almost stale. I would go as far to say that we have the freshest, most dynamic young coach in the league. I reckon we should grab him with both hands.

He also satisfies my romantic ideal of having a former son return to guide us to our next success.

If the board believe their original decision to appoint him was correct and think he can lead us forward, the certainty for the playing group is worth extending him. The guy is focused already. Give him time to put his plans in place.

Don't disagree. However, the period of extension has to be measured, with options on either side.

Leppa has Lethal and Swann... i think behind the scenes is going way better than what Voss had.
To clarify, I was speaking more about players - but this is an important difference between the two eras.
Works both ways, I guess. Leppa may have it easier than Voss, and the situation may underline the unfairness surrounding Voss' tenure. Not that that in anyway takes anything away from Leppa. He's here and now and doing a great job.:thumbsu:

Not trying to start a Leppa v Voss thing. Just more so pointing out Leppa has a good support structure from the club which will no doubt help him with his job. And yes, player roster has been a big plus for Leppa as well. Aish, Taylor, McStay, Gardiner, not to mention Martin going all super ruckman, Rocky having an AA year and then getting Robbo, Bundy and Beams for this year.

Those things aside, Leppa looks more in control of his own fate as coach of the Lions. Always had the feel as if Voss always had 1 arm tied behind his back.

To clarify, I was speaking more about players - but this is an important difference between the two eras.

Care to elaboorate further Mr North? I assume you mean the relationships he has developed with the players is better than Voss? Better communicator?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Care to elaboorate further Mr North? I assume you mean the relationships he has developed with the players is better than Voss? Better communicator?

Yes this is what I'm getting at. From the outside, Leppa seems like a better communicator generally and is clearly able to adjust his own plans/style based on the players' abilities.

However, he has a very different team behind him as chopperduck points out. It's possible Voss just felt that his job was constantly on the line.

Not trying to start a Leppa v Voss thing. Just more so pointing out Leppa has a good support structure from the club which will no doubt help him with his job. And yes, player roster has been a big plus for Leppa as well. Aish, Taylor, McStay, Gardiner, not to mention Martin going all super ruckman, Rocky having an AA year and then getting Robbo, Bundy and Beams for this year.

Those things aside, Leppa looks more in control of his own fate as coach of the Lions. Always had the feel as if Voss always had 1 arm tied behind his back.
No, definitely not, and I don't think it could be done. The 2 coaches have had 2 completely different situations to work with both from an admin/support and a player personnel perspective.
I was one who was devastated when Voss was axed, but am equally thrilled that Leppa is here. I believe in where both were/are headed, and believe fair opportunity is deserved to get the job done, not just in fairness to them but also to the club/team.

Yes this is what I'm getting at. From the outside, Leppa seems like a better communicator generally and is clearly able to adjust his own plans/style based on the players' abilities.

However, he has a very different team behind him as chopperduck points out. It's possible Voss just felt that his job was constantly on the line.
I think this is also a fair comment/observation.

I'm optimistic the club learnt from its mistakes in regards to the level of support offered to Voss and he was a little more independent and headstrong (weather by nature or necessity I'm not 100% sure). Leppa seems a little more circumspect and seems to plan strategically rather than just push forward and expect others to follow his lead.

He seems to me like the coach we need right now, but then again Vossy had a promising first season too - I can't bear the thought of another club legend's career ending in ignominy and hope he smashes extations out of the water this year.

I would have offered the extension after this season, depending on development etc

Tiny bit too early for my liking, I do believe Leppa is the right man but it's still too early for me.

For me it is pretty straight forward – no apprenticeship versus a 7 year apprenticeship.
Sometimes competency based progression fails?

To be honest I still reckon this "apprenticeship" lark is a bit of hit and miss with coaching. I am of the opinion one has "it" or they don't.

To be honest I still reckon this "apprenticeship" lark is a bit of hit and miss with coaching. I am of the opinion one has "it" or they don't.
The debate seems to be around whether or not it is too early to say that Leppa has it.

Not sure I agree –
  • A player can be in a football environment but not totally fathom a coaching role.
  • A uni student receives a degree but their first job is not CEO
  • A tech/TAFE theory only qualified student won’t go straight to a supervisor/managerial position.

IMO – All/any position in ANY field of employment requires training. The next point of discussion then becomes how much of on in-house/onsite ‘hand-over’ period is required.

I’d dare say even Leppa would have had at least a weeks induction on his return to the GABBA. ;)

Not sure I agree –
  • A player can be in a football environment but not totally fathom a coaching role.
  • A uni student receives a degree but their first job is not CEO
  • A tech/TAFE theory only qualified student won’t go straight to a supervisor/managerial position.

IMO – All/any position in ANY field of employment requires training. The next point of discussion then becomes how much of on in-house/onsite ‘hand-over’ period is required.

I’d dare say even Leppa would have had at least a weeks induction on his return to the GABBA. ;)
Onsite or offsite training!! I would tend to agree with you but for some reason I think footy codes are different. Just me and happy for others to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back