Possible betting scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

That's your opinion though and I think you'll find there's a hugeeee portion of the public who do think it has a place in sport. For me it makes sport much much more enjoyable. Why should we get punished because a small group of people **** up.

Also everyone saying that it's a problem to have in AFL because of match fixing well how many times has that happened? If it does happen deal with the case in point but right now, it's not a problem, whatsoever.

Agree with your first point.

Disagree with your second point. You don't wait for s**t (match fixing in this case) to go wrong, you manage to prevent bad s**t going down, anything else is just s**t management.

The concept of personal responsibility with an athlete and their sport's overall wellbeing is interesting.

Not many people I know think the Bombers players should get off without a penalty. That is despite their coach and sports scientist telling them what they were shooting up was legal. Why? Because each player is responsible for what goes into their body. There can be no other way to police it, otherwise every athlete would blame their coach and do what they liked with drugs.

Similarly, gamblers are in the same position. If you have a betting account. It is your responsibility as to what goes 'into it', ie what bets are placed, etc. It is your responsibility to manage it.

As a professional athlete you are responsible for what goes into your body and what goes into your betting account. And if this f@cks up, well 'it wasn't my fault' cuts no ice. You are responsible for this s**t.

I am at the point with gambling that all pro athletes should be banned from gambling. Any deviation from this, life ban. Gambling ruined my love of my favourite sport in cricket, I don't want to see my love for my new favourite sport ruined.

I was shattered when I first heard about this incident. Then I thought why judge until all evidence is heard. The media blow everything out of proportion. The hearld sun claimed at first up to 10 players. I say we wait and see before we judge Lachie Hunter. If guilty he does deserve a suspension of some sort.

He is a young kid and young people make mistakes, this is a big mistake on his part if true. What I don't understand is people in these forum's that are so quick to judge. Have you never made a mistake in your life? Let's see how he bounces back, just take a look at Libba, huge mistake, club handled it well and he has responded well.

I find it ludicrous that you can even bet on NAB challenge games, it's an utter joke, booking agencies have a lot to answer for. Kids these days are bought up on having betting odds shoved down their throats. I listen to SEN and am completley sick and tired of the constant Sports bet up dates with Matt Campbell. What do you expect in our society when this garbage is heavily promoted. I strongly believe the bookies and the AFL and media have a lot to answer for in allowing ridiculous betting markets to be over advertised.

I find it ludicrous that you can even bet on NAB challenge games, it's an utter joke, booking agencies have a lot to answer for. Kids these days are bought up on having betting odds shoved down their throats. I listen to SEN and am completley sick and tired of the constant Sports bet up dates with Matt Campbell. What do you expect in our society when this garbage is heavily promoted. I strongly believe the bookies and the AFL and media have a lot to answer for in allowing ridiculous betting markets to be over advertised.

Well, the players code of conduct that you agree to under your playing contract states that gambling on AFL matches of any type is prohibited

Ignorance is no excuse

Page 12/12

http://aflagents.com.au/images/uploads/Code_of_Conduct_-_08_1.pdf

I was shattered when I first heard about this incident. Then I thought why judge until all evidence is heard. The media blow everything out of proportion. The hearld sun claimed at first up to 10 players. I say we wait and see before we judge Lachie Hunter. If guilty he does deserve a suspension of some sort.

He is a young kid and young people make mistakes, this is a big mistake on his part if true. What I don't understand is people in these forum's that are so quick to judge. Have you never made a mistake in your life? Let's see how he bounces back, just take a look at Libba, huge mistake, club handled it well and he has responded well.

Yep and Libba was suspended by the club. Assuming the story is as reported Lachie (that Lachie's 'mate' used his betting account to back against the Dogs) Lachie is likely to be suspended too, hope it works like it did with Libba.

Totally agree with the saturation advertising of gambling in the media covering sport, I love a punt but I find it obscene. The government needs to step in and regulate it like they did with cigarettes (and even alcohol).

For those that don't believe his story, what do you think actually happened?
He placed a $10 multi including a leg against his own club, then decided to own up to it almost immediately?

I still can't believe people think its more plausible that an AFL player would bet against his team to lose in a multi and then report it at half time then his VFL mate (who was a lot less to lose if he f**ks up) being an idiot and betting on his account. Like really "not buying it" but you can buy an AFL player potentially chucking away his career over a $10 multi.

Well, the players code of conduct that you agree to under your playing contract states that gambling on AFL matches of any type is prohibited

Ignorance is no excuse

Page 12/12

http://aflagents.com.au/images/uploads/Code_of_Conduct_-_08_1.pdf

Totally agree with you, I said if found guilty he deserves a penalty. My comment was directed at the fact that nobody should be able to bet on the NAB. It's ridiculous that they even have odds for a practice game. Next we will be betting on intra club matches. It's all greed on behalf of the bookies.

Interesting...especially the bold.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-2...gation/6334894

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has described the initial reaction to the AFL's investigation into two players' betting activities as hysterical.

The AFL is investigating bets placed by a Bulldogs AFL-listed player and VFL-listed player last Saturday afternoon.

Gordon said the investigation needs to be allowed to run its course and that the two players at the centre of the probe may not have committed a breach.

"Don't assume that this is some kind of great bookie robbery type conspiracy," Gordon said on ABC 774 Melbourne on Friday morning.

"This is young men having a bet on Saturday afternoon and something erroneous may have occurred."

Gordon said the two players self-reported their acts and the matter was promptly passed on to the AFL's Integrity Unit that afternoon.

"On the facts that are currently available to the club there may have been no breach by either of those players. Let's let the investigation run its course.

"It is entirely possible that the facts when they are disclosed, that it is nothing like the initial hysterical reaction that came out yesterday."

Gordon said he does not believe there is a problematic gambling culture at the Bulldogs but said betting on horses is popular among the Bulldogs and AFL players in general.

"Betting is endemic to the culture," he said.

"I do not believe there is a particular problem with the Western Bulldogs and I certainly believe our players understand the gaming rules and the betting rules for the AFL."

Gordon does not expect the AFL Integrity Unit's investigation to take long and once completed the club will undertake its own investigation

Not based on any facts, but I'm thinking that a plausible scenario would be that the two players used the same phone at some stage to put in bets. For example, they were out together and Lachie didn't have his phone on him and so used his friend's phone to put in a legal bet. However, he forgot to log out of his account the last time he used it. The VFL player at some other stage put a bet through not realising that he was on Lachie's account.

Would explain the suggestion by PG that neither were at fault.

Seems like to me that the media got wind that there was a routine, minor investigation because Hunter self-reported, jumped to their own conclusions, and people, including me, got suckered in thinking that something horrible had happened. Which after PG's comments, looks like more and more like a likely scenario.

Seems like to me that the media got wind that there was a routine, minor investigation because Hunter self-reported, jumped to their own conclusions, and people, including me, got suckered in thinking that something horrible had happened. Which after PG's comments, looks like more and more like a likely scenario.

The 'hysterical' reaction is completely understandable if its seen that a player betted against his own team, yep mitigating circumstances. But still...I refer you to Hanse Cronje, Wasim Akram, the Pakis in jail in England (and one's not caught), Chris Cairns, and finally the White Sox (who as a team collaborated to throw a world series).

Players throwing games ruins your faith in sport even more than performance enhancing drugs (hey at least the drug cheats are trying to win)...and betting against your own team is the thin end of the wedge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid? yes (if the investigation shows it was Lachie that did the betting).

Hanging offence? No way.

I'm sure Lachie (if found guilty) isn't the only AFL player betting on multis. A mate of mine sent me a photo from his phone a couple of years ago of a Brisbane Lions ruckman betting on multis at the local TAB, AFL being one of the sports.

Not a big deal in my book.

On the other hand though, betting thousands to throw a game is a hanging offence.

The 'hysterical' reaction is completely understandable if its seen that a player betted against his own team, yep mitigating circumstances. But still...I refer you to Hanse Cronje, Wasim Akram, the Pakis in jail in England (and one's not caught), Chris Cairns, and finally the White Sox (who as a team collaborated to throw a world series).

Players throwing games ruins your faith in sport even more than performance enhancing drugs (hey at least the drug cheats are trying to win)...and betting against your own team is the thin end of the wedge.
I was sort of talking about how there was a reaction to the lack of information and the jumping to conclusions rather than any opinion on the problems with betting against your team in general, which I agree with you is pretty must the most significant immoral thing you can do in sport.

Totally agree with you, I said if found guilty he deserves a penalty. My comment was directed at the fact that nobody should be able to bet on the NAB. It's ridiculous that they even have odds for a practice game. Next we will be betting on intra club matches. It's all greed on behalf of the bookies.
Or who will be the next coach at .
Interesting...especially the bold.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-2...gation/6334894

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has described the initial reaction to the AFL's investigation into two players' betting activities as hysterical.

The AFL is investigating bets placed by a Bulldogs AFL-listed player and VFL-listed player last Saturday afternoon.

Gordon said the investigation needs to be allowed to run its course and that the two players at the centre of the probe may not have committed a breach.

"Don't assume that this is some kind of great bookie robbery type conspiracy," Gordon said on ABC 774 Melbourne on Friday morning.

"This is young men having a bet on Saturday afternoon and something erroneous may have occurred."

Gordon said the two players self-reported their acts and the matter was promptly passed on to the AFL's Integrity Unit that afternoon.

"On the facts that are currently available to the club there may have been no breach by either of those players. Let's let the investigation run its course.

"It is entirely possible that the facts when they are disclosed, that it is nothing like the initial hysterical reaction that came out yesterday."

Gordon said he does not believe there is a problematic gambling culture at the Bulldogs but said betting on horses is popular among the Bulldogs and AFL players in general.

"Betting is endemic to the culture," he said.

"I do not believe there is a particular problem with the Western Bulldogs and I certainly believe our players understand the gaming rules and the betting rules for the AFL."

Gordon does not expect the AFL Integrity Unit's investigation to take long and once completed the club will undertake its own investigation
According to PG the range is from no transgression at all to technical breach to something else and the investigation will determine which one. My money is on technical breach but what would a technical breach be. Mistakenly pushed the wrong button? Was dictating my bet to my secretary and she pushed the wrong button and then submit before I could stop her? An anonymous third party took the phone from my pocket while I was queuing for doughnuts. I was logged in to my betting account at the time and they placed a bet before replacing the phone and then melting into the crowd.

Or who will be the next coach at .

According to PG the range is from no transgression at all to technical breach to something else and the investigation will determine which one. My money is on technical breach but what would a technical breach be. Mistakenly pushed the wrong button? Was dictating my bet to my secretary and she pushed the wrong button and then submit before I could stop her? An anonymous third party took the phone from my pocket while I was queuing for doughnuts. I was logged in to my betting account at the time and they placed a bet before replacing the phone and then melting into the crowd.

If you can understand Gordon speak you are a legend. Peter's ability to say a lot without saying anything is Sir Humphreyesque.

I was sort of talking about how there was a reaction to the lack of information and the jumping to conclusions rather than any opinion on the problems with betting against your team in general, which I agree with you is pretty must the most significant immoral thing you can do in sport.

Decided to watch the cricket, can't decide if Pakistan is s**t or are throwing the match - always the same when they get smashed. How can you enjoy a sport when this sort of s**t pops in your head. Hope it doesn't happen to the AFL

If you can understand Gordon speak you are a legend. Peter's ability to say a lot without saying anything is Sir Humphreyesque.
He uses 'may' a lot. Things are open ended and he allows for possibility. Further to technical breach, that would allow for a lack of intent which I think you touched on earlier. And intent is important. Although the idea of a technical breach(grey area) may be something the AFL hasn't allowed for but PG is raising it as a mitigating factor in what is largely a black and white interpretation. Either you (or an account in your name) did bet or you didn't.
The time lapse between the submission of the bet and self reporting would be significant. The shorter the time lapse the more likely it is an honest if stupid mistake - including perhaps a third party allowed access to the phone and the account (the occurrence of something erroneous as PG would have it). And the time of submission and reporting can both be proved.

Last edited:
Agree with your first point.

Disagree with your second point. You don't wait for s**t (match fixing in this case) to go wrong, you manage to prevent bad s**t going down, anything else is just s**t management.
I completely agree with that but what I'm getting at is whatever they are doing now to prevent it, is working. Match fixing has never happened in our sport (well that I'm aware of anyway, very well could have happened years ago) so there's no need to make wholesale changes and I'd prefer the AFL as an organisation and individual clubs keeps profiting from the betting agencies. In the very very rare case that it does happen, well those players will absolutely get the book thrown at them and a life ban sounds about right, and then it might be another 3 decades until you even hear about it again. It's just not a common enough occurance to worry about removing punting from the sport like some are suggesting.

BUMP!

List was too short anyway

images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back