Anyone else sick of hearing about ANZAC Day and what makes us Australian yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope why would i be sick of hearing about people who were a cornerstone in developing our countries national identity.

What I'm sick of hearing about is people complaining about people being proud of identifying as Australian.

Chief, what you don't understand is that only in the south of this country was ANZAC day ever a non event. In Sydney for example the Anzac day has always been regarded as the most important national day.

Treated with more respect then Australia day.

General Sir John Monash, a Victorian and builder of the Shrine of Rememberance will be disappointed that his initiation of ANZAC Day was a non-event.

The stupidity of BF is beyon belief at times.

Well here is a little personal history for you.

I joined (and am still in) the Army in 1983. A despised and neglected group within our country at the time.

ANAZAC day limped along, and was certainly in danger of dying out due to the indifference of the population as a whole, the government and the ravings of people like Bruce Ruxton.

Paul Keating and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier saw a revival in interest, and subsequent operations that started with Gulf War I saw the public revival start to take hold.

John Howard most certainly did pump ANZAC day up, from a day of somber reflection to a source of Nationalism; that is a fact of history that your sneering contempt can not change.

ANZAC Day at the 'G' is the latest (and disgusting imo) incarnation. A single game to 'honor' sacrifice has become so wound up in the psych that we now have five games this year. Bloody disgraceful. This can be seen by the way the AFL public, especially in Victoria, treat the game at the 'G' as the most important part of the day.

Me, I will attend the Shrine, then spend the rest of the day fishing and thinking, and boycott the AFL for the day.

As for your other rants about lefties and whatnot. Well I am a leftie, and I observe the day the way it was meant to be observed, not the travesty that it has become.

I was one of those whom you speak of, albeit some years before 1983 and I agree with the contents of your post. However, I don't agree that Anzac Day was ever in danger of dying out and I can go back a long way.

Why was Turkey attacked?
Turkey was putting pressure on the Russian southern border.

By threatening Constantinople it was thought that that pressure could be relieved, allowing Russia to have a one front war against the Germans who were rampaging through Western Russia.

Also, Russia only had one warm water area in which to receive Allied help in the form of food and war materiel and that was blockaded by the Turks who held the Dardanelles. And because Russian industry was so poor, they needed that aid to prosecute the war.

Strategically it was a brilliant idea.

Tactically it was a poorly planned (6 weeks with few maps) and executed disaster.

Don't think so

I get the feeling many Australians in ww1, ww2, Vietnam. If they survive would of developed anti war feelings

Different strokes for different folks, many WW1 veterans attempted to sign on for WW2

And many did so both here and in the UK.

All is true. My association with Vets is they are generally anti war due to their experiences, but thye care about their mates & the security of the nation.

The WW2 thing was the realisation of the evils of Hitler after they had tried appeasement to avoid war.

The Japs took advantage of the focus on the defense of Britain & its supply lines. The Japanese resented the USA stopping supplies of Oil & Steel due to their brutal behavior in China. We were thus catapulted into the defense of our Homeland. Of course they would join up to protect their home.

Have a big sook about it. The Anzacs are deserving of their legendary status and if their sacrifices have become a lightning rod for Australian nationalism... then even better. Nationalism is a good thing and only self loathing progressive idiots could possibly see anything wrong with it. Australia is a great country and we mustn't forget what has made it great and the qualities that the ANZACs represent (courage, endurance, good humour, larrikinism, mateship and distain for authority) are bloody good values for Australians to aspire. The day itself has become an annual reinforcement of these values as much as remembering the tens of thousands of dead - a generation of young men ripped from life while fighting for a cause they believed in.

Last edited:
Have a big sook about it. The Anzacs are deserving of their legendary status and if their sacrifices have become a lightning rod for Australian nationalism... then even better. There's nothing wrong with Nationalism whatsoever and only self loathing progressive idiots could possibly see anything wrong with it. Australia is a great country and we mustn't forget what has made it great. The qualities that the ANZACs embody - courage, endurance, good humour, larrikinism, mateship and distain for authority are bloody good values for Australians to aspire. The day itself has become an annual reinforcement of these values as much as remembering the tens of thousands of dead - a generation of young men ripped from life while fighting for a cause they believed in.

I was going to write a rebuttal; however, nothing I or anyone says will convince you of anything.

So I didn't bother.

I was going to write a rebuttal; however, nothing I or anyone says will convince you of anything.

So I didn't bother.

Correct. There is no rebuttal you can add that will make the slightest difference to me. If you want to sit there all outraged during a day of national significance then go for it, the sooking is music to my ears. What this all dissembles down to is the whack-lefts dream eutopia of a world without borders where everyone is the same, they view nationalism as a reinforcement of our nations sovereignity and they HATE that. Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Last edited:
Correct. There is no rebuttal you can add that will make the slightest difference to me. If you want to sit their all embarrassed during a day of national significance then go for it.
I refer you to my previous posts on this subject if you actually want to know what my position is. Then come back and show me where I am embarrassed by ANZAC Day?

I refer you to my previous posts on this subject if you actually want to know what my position is. Then come back and show me where I am embarrassed by ANZAC Day?

You reflect on ANZAC day but despise that its associated with nationalisation.

Why does celebrating our Australian identity bother you?

Last edited:
Turkey was putting pressure on the Russian southern border.

By threatening Constantinople it was thought that that pressure could be relieved, allowing Russia to have a one front war against the Germans who were rampaging through Western Russia.

Also, Russia only had one warm water area in which to receive Allied help in the form of food and war materiel and that was blockaded by the Turks who held the Dardanelles. And because Russian industry was so poor, they needed that aid to prosecute the war.

Strategically it was a brilliant idea.

Tactically it was a poorly planned (6 weeks with few maps) and executed disaster.

so nothing to do with protecting democracy, freedom and our way of life?

its all in the papers, TV, radio etc... Andrew Bolt is very clear on this point almost on a weekly basis

Correct. There is no rebuttal you can add that will make the slightest difference to me. If you want to sit there all outraged during a day of national significance then go for it, the sooking is music to my ears. What this all dissembles down to is the whack-lefts dream eutopia of a world without borders where everyone is the same, they view nationalism as a reinforcement of our nations sovereignity and they HATE that. Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

what matters is the truth and verifiable historical facts

Blind mindless nationalism to serve the modern corporate fascist Oligarchy is not honouring the diggers spirit nor is it recognising their ultimate sacrifice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take it off then

you actually believe that you live in a democratic country that upholds the values of freedom and human rights...

The rodents of Hades have emerged from the catacyls and are looking for scraps to feed on.

And with your mask and ear plugs remaining intact, you yield and lower your scalp to your puppet masters and continue to sweep the decks of the circus that you worship.

He's right in this one post though. Australia in the 1910s was a deeply racist place with strict social norms (by today's standards).

If someone a hundred years was told how many Asians and Africans and women dressing delightfully there is now they'd be mortified.
Where did your family live?

You reflect on ANZAC day but despise that its associated with nationalisation.

Why does celebrating our Australian identity bother you?
I love being an Australian. But hate watching ANZAC day being turned into another excuse for bogans to wrap themselves up in the flag that mean nothing to them every other day of the year.

ANZAC day was not about nationalism, not until the w***ers got hold of It that is.

General Sir John Monash, a Victorian and builder of the Shrine of Rememberance will be disappointed that his initiation of ANZAC Day was a non-event.

The stupidity of BF is beyon belief at times.

i refer you to your last post in which you claimed the day was in danger of dying out. that is what i was referring to and its something that was not reflected across the country. Sydney and brisbane for example have always had strong support for the day, a fact highlighted by those cities response to the anti anzac day march s**t that come from fruit loop groups.

in fact no one did more for anzac day then those deadshit protesters in the early 80's it forced people to chose sides by trying to turn the nation against it, the result was telling, by 1985 those "movements" were dead.

as for crap about today, i refer you to Mick Storen's comments about his 1983 song i was only 19. in which he talks about the issue of the lack of honesty and growing legend of the day rather then focusing on the horrible trajedy of war. the issue of jingoism and the day shifting from the "true" nature of the day, were being debated back then, as they always have. its the nature of politics behind an event so ingrained in the national psyche.

this is the issue many people have, you take your personal experience and pass it off as objective fact, historical records disagree with your subjective experience.

Anzac day is a hollow spectacle.

The same morons buying anzac hoodies and crying crocodile tears are often the same morons who've wanted more Australians to kill and die in Vietnam and Afghanistan

43264_2015-anzac-day-dawn-service-gallipoli.jpg

Well here is a little personal history for you.

I joined (and am still in) the Army in 1983. A despised and neglected group within our country at the time.

ANAZAC day limped along, and was certainly in danger of dying out due to the indifference of the population as a whole, the government and the ravings of people like Bruce Ruxton.

Paul Keating and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier saw a revival in interest, and subsequent operations that started with Gulf War I saw the public revival start to take hold.

John Howard most certainly did pump ANZAC day up, from a day of somber reflection to a source of Nationalism; that is a fact of history that your sneering contempt can not change.

ANZAC Day at the 'G' is the latest (and disgusting imo) incarnation. A single game to 'honor' sacrifice has become so wound up in the psych that we now have five games this year. Bloody disgraceful. This can be seen by the way the AFL public, especially in Victoria, treat the game at the 'G' as the most important part of the day.

Me, I will attend the Shrine, then spend the rest of the day fishing and thinking, and boycott the AFL for the day.

As for your other rants about lefties and whatnot. Well I am a leftie, and I observe the day the way it was meant to be observed, not the travesty that it has become.

I remember around the early 1980's when during ANZAC day marches the women against rape in war wanted to march and some nasty confrontations occurred, the general community was not sick of ANZAC day but more like indifference ( as you say).

I would agree the Gulf war saw the public start to take interest again, around that time or even perhaps earlier Vietnam Vets who felt ostracised and neglected by the RSL and the general public started to take interest and march again in increasing numbers.

What i would not agree with your post is how ANZAC day is meant to be observed, any Australian can spend the day doing anything they want, if going to the footy is part of it, so be it, i have no intention of boycotting the footy, i intend to watch it on the tele and have a few beers and bets

You would hope that the AFL would be able to to offer some free entry and public transport to returned servicemen across 5 games

The ANZAC day dawn service at Kings park in Perth is pretty good, have not been for a couple of years, but should do it again, in fact it was one of my kids who dragged me along.

Just a note on your first sentence,........ Sorry mate but the Navy is and always has been the senior service, the Army has always been looked down on, we all know about the pongoes. ;)

He's right in this one post though. Australia in the 1910s was a deeply racist place with strict social norms (by today's standards).

If someone a hundred years was told how many Asians and Africans and women dressing delightfully there is now they'd be mortified.
and if someone a hundred years ago was thrown back in time another hundred years antecedent, they'd be mortified

ROFL.
Tennis hooliganism. That all you got?
"Nationalism" has nothing to do with our national identity. "nationalism" may as well be called "racist red neck fukwitism" because that is what the term represents. The moron fringe who inhabit storm front and have "damn off we're full" stickers emblazoned on the 20 year old s**t box commodore or falcon they picked up from the wreckers. Year 10 drop outs who complain about every social initiatives yet who live in public housing, whose spouses collect the deserted mothers pension and who themselves collect the dole to feed their 3 inbred staffies.
Those type of idiots.
Oft times hailing from Freo.
Banjo pluckers with little idea of the social stereotype they perpetuate by their survival of premature birth, thanks only to modern medicine funded by the public purse and the "lefties" they "robotically" despise thanks to their "Dad's and/or Uncles" 1st year high school political rants over a TV dinner when they were not in care.

ROFL.
Tennis hooliganism. That all you got?
"Nationalism" has nothing to do with our national identity. "nationalism" may as well be called "racist red neck fukwitism" because that is what the term represents. The moron fringe who inhabit storm front and have "damn off we're full" stickers emblazoned on the 20 year old s**t box commodore or falcon they picked up from the wreckers. Year 10 drop outs who complain about every social initiatives yet who live in public housing, whose spouses collect the deserted mothers pension and who themselves collect the dole to feed their 3 inbred staffies.
Those type of idiots.
Oft times hailing from Freo.
Banjo pluckers with little idea of the social stereotype they perpetuate by their survival of premature birth, thanks only to modern medicine funded by the public purse and the "lefties" they "robotically" despise thanks to their "Dad's and/or Uncles" 1st year high school political rants over a TV dinner when they were not in care.

What has any of that load of verbal diaorrhea go to do with this thread?

Anzac day is a hollow spectacle.

The same morons buying anzac hoodies and crying crocodile tears are often the same morons who've wanted more Australians to kill and die in Vietnam and Afghanistan

43264_2015-anzac-day-dawn-service-gallipoli.jpg

A gross generalisation that you are incapable of substantiating. Not dissimiliar to most of the crap you post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back