Game 3 NAB challenge v Pies @ Etihad 7:10pm Saturday 21st

Remove this Banner Ad

Can some of the detractors on this board now see why we kept Bret Goodes ?
Some of us have been banging on about him being a mid fielder that needs a run at it at senior level.
I suggested he was perfect for a team challenging as back up , but with Libber going down he will prove invaluable for us. He is a gun VFL mid fielder and didn't make sense to me we tried to make him into HBF.

Jong also , pretty sure he will play 100 plus. MD may have to concede ( we can only hope )

But I may have been to early to judge Hammling. I was wrapped the way he played.
Haven't been convinced up until now , but he could be an inspired pick up and just what we need.

Yeah we are all over the great Bont , but far out ,how good is Macrae ?
Can't think of too many that have his impact from day one.

And sorry Fronk , but Wallis will be more than ok. I believe he will get better and better.
A harder nut you will not find.

Also all of us VFL watchers have been watching the Big Red start to blossom , now with a AFL tank there is no going backwards for him. The best kick for goal in the club.

We keep them together, look out in 2 years.

I reckon Koby Stevens might have wished we got rid of Goddesy.... He'll play a big part this season and he's tough and hard... Saw him giving Pendles a hard time last night and loved it...

Great Post King, I apologise for Goodies, so pleased to be wrong.

Thanks pup , but it is great when someone can prove you wrong and end up having a decent career .I have been wrong many times and I think I jumped the gun on Hammling. Sure he still has a lot of development to get through , but I think he will get there in the end. He has a lot of what we will need going forward.

Can some of the detractors on this board now see why we kept Bret Goodes ?
Some of us have been banging on about him being a mid fielder that needs a run at it at senior level.
I suggested he was perfect for a team challenging as back up , but with Libber going down he will prove invaluable for us. He is a gun VFL mid fielder and didn't make sense to me we tried to make him into HBF.

Jong also , pretty sure he will play 100 plus. MD may have to concede ( we can only hope )

But I may have been to early to judge Hammling. I was wrapped the way he played.
Haven't been convinced up until now , but he could be an inspired pick up and just what we need.

Yeah we are all over the great Bont , but far out ,how good is Macrae ?
Can't think of too many that have his impact from day one.

And sorry Fronk , but Wallis will be more than ok. I believe he will get better and better.
A harder nut you will not find.

Also all of us VFL watchers have been watching the Big Red start to blossom , now with a AFL tank there is no going backwards for him. The best kick for goal in the club.

We keep them together, look out in 2 years.
Must be pleased with Moyd too King? You have been one of his biggest advocates from memory :)

Thanks pup , but it is great when someone can prove you wrong and end up having a decent career .I have been wrong many times and I think I jumped the gun on Hammling. Sure he still has a lot of development to get through , but I think he will get there in the end. He has a lot of what we will need going forward.

I'll admit I've jumped the gun on people after at least one AFL regular season game....maybe 10 ;)

One thing that opposition teams are going to find very difficult to combat from now on, particularly from next season on, are the number of tall midfielders we'll have that are able to run and mark between the arcs. We already saw the beginnings of it with Macrae yesterday, popping up on the half back flank to present and mark from kick ins, and also being present around half forward to deliver inside 50. Bonts, Macrae, Stringer, Jong and Grant can all play that role as well as dropping into defensive holes as required and moving inside 50 as scoring options, also as required. This will be a nightmare for the opposition.

Must be pleased with Moyd too King? You have been one of his biggest advocates from memory :)

Yeah I am Fargy , Others seem hell bent on pensioning him off and I have never understood why.
I also believe he is no where near as bad a kick as others think , but I guess we all see things differently.
It's going to be a long season for our young list ,Boyd and Goodes will be very much needed.

I couldn't tell from the televised footage, but was Wallis tagging?

He had it 21 times himself and was in everything, so while Pendles may have been his opponent, shutting him down wasn't his sole focus.

Excellent game from Wallis. Would not be surprised to see him win our B&F.

He had it 21 times himself and was in everything, so while Pendles may have been his opponent, shutting him down wasn't his sole focus.

Yeah he was pretty effective. Can't see too many, if any, hard tags being employed from this point. Particular players assigned to run with dangerous players at best but with the focus on beating them to the ball. Ablett is about the only player I think you'd consider making an exception for.

Yeah, last year he was on his opponents like flies on ....well you know

that he would be giving away free kicks or unable to really offer much offensively
I hope that he has found that balance :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont fear Fargy ...... we are enjoying the win knowing the new coach will lead our club far better than the previous bloke.
Haha very good! I have no problems with some comparisons but I don't get the need to continually make the point over and over about not liking the previous coach :) But that's just me haha!

M Boyd played well down back. Picken played well. I don't recall either of them attending a centre clearance or being anything other than momentary presence through the middle of the ground. And we moved the ball freely, decisively, quickly and well through the middle. Such a simple yet effective change.
Macrae was a more than useful target at half back from kick ins. He, Bonts and Stringer form part of the solution to that long running dilema.
Add jong to that list. Excellent overhead.

Took a nice mark for a goal where he timed his leap, arms outstretched and took it miles above where anyone could expect to reach. Cordy needs to master this trick....

I agree. Addressed that here
One thing that opposition teams are going to find very difficult to combat from now on, particularly from next season on, are the number of tall midfielders we'll have that are able to run and mark between the arcs. We already saw the beginnings of it with Macrae yesterday, popping up on the half back flank to present and mark from kick ins, and also being present around half forward to deliver inside 50. Bonts, Macrae, Stringer, Jong and Grant can all play that role as well as dropping into defensive holes as required and moving inside 50 as scoring options, also as required. This will be a nightmare for the opposition.

Wallis didn't tag. was just commentators doing what they do which is call the game two weeks ago until the first quarters over then they call the first quarter etc etc. my point is commentators are always behind the game.

Interestingly in Bev's presser he identifies the drop off in the second half of the third quarter.

He attributed it in part to 'a bit of mayhem on the bench' relating to personnel.

Anyone know what he's talking about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back