Game 3 NAB challenge v Pies @ Etihad 7:10pm Saturday 21st

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestingly in Bev's presser he identifies the drop off in the second half of the third quarter.

He attributed it in part to 'a bit of mayhem on the bench' relating to personnel.

Anyone know what he's talking about?
That was an intriguing remark. NFI what it means or refers to.

I thought they played well together (Hamling and Talia) and complemented each other.. different types and different roles and abilities.

Some of hamlings quick handballs and 1-2 movements were impressive looks very agile and distribution by foot is above average.

Talia isn't flashy but have faith he will be a solid player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't tell from the televised footage, but was Wallis tagging?
I wouldn't say 'tagging' but he was 'limiting' Pendlebury if that makes sense. Keeping him from having too much of an impact but focusing more on his own game.

Interestingly enough Wallis had 17 uncontested possessions compared to only 4 contested last night. He was working extremely hard off the ball. Got himself into space a lot.

Just thought I’d type up my own Player analysis a good satisfying day after an impressive 61 point win which no one should belittle us for.

Must say, there’s a good feeling amongst many supporters that although trying to keep it under wraps, let’s be honest, we haven’t had as exciting/convincing performance like that for a while (years) and although red time we dropped off noticeably, our game style was much better to watch.

Where to start really? Every player no matter the stats, put in for a great team rehearsal before the real stuff begins and will be hard to select the starting round 1 team after that, (needing to drop 2 with even others to come in). One thing that I will note is the pressure that was ever present; caused turnover after turnover in pure frenetic pressure that had Collingwood collared for healthy periods of the game. There was not a player I could name out that did not contribute to the pressure and that’s the most satisfying thing along with the win. The fact we won the disposal count but also trumped the tackle count is a highlight to that fact. He may be gone, but I appreciate that one thing McCartney has instilled in our players with Beveridge the perfect man to take us further to a proper game plan

Bontempelli – What superlative has not been used to describe him already? I’ll be honest, in his first season I wanted to contain the hype around him to not overdo it. But after such a pre-season, it is near impossible for anyone, even the coach to keep the lid on him because he has just gone strength to strength. One point I’ll touch on is his simple ability of just being there when he’s needed and delivering. His final goal for me was most notable when he was 40 out after receiving the handball from Grant’s magic pickup and his motion when putting it though gives everyone confidence. Midfield or Forward, geewhiz good luck… As many have said, Soooo Glad he’s at the dogs.

Dahl – Racked them up but to many fans, not great effect. I still personally like him being the harasser in the forward line where other creative kicking methods than drop punts are more valuable that we know he can bring. But also don’t mind him being progressed in midfield. His 8 tackle endeavour still shows the pressure he can bring all round.

Wally – The instant Libba went down, we knew the midfield as a whole would need to stand out but none more so than his partner in crime we most link/compare him to. Stepped up as not essentially a tagger, but certainly felt like he nullified Pendlebury’s effectiveness (although still racking up 28). Covered the ground and as many have noted, his 17-4 UP-CP showed his change from being a 1-Dimensional contested player and that he’s working to good spaces to get the ball. Bloody got 11 tackles as well and the 2 goals he kicked… A Stand out, hope he can keep this up through the season

Moyd – Reinvented and happy to see that this guy’s experience and heart for the club has not been thrown to the gutter to rot in the VFL. I’ve always thought that despite his DE being on the liability side as he got older in the midfield, he would show that when given poise, he can hit up a target. Playing a mix of pure HBF matchup or Spare Man has given him a new role and so far, no one’s complaining. All praise to him for a great performance.

Macrae – Much like the Bont in a whose who of who to tag. Racks them up and gets the job done without the flair of Bont and subtly punishes the opposition quietly. Had a great day covering the ground

Goodes – Many including myself did not understand the re-recruitment but he and the club has shown us why. An absolute bull in the midfield, barely took a step wrong all game and now has a realised role both for the Seniors and VFL

Dickson – Boy, he makes his opportunities count, a great story on our list in itself that he is still here to make a contribution. Hard to keep him out of the team at this stage and hope he can continue such form to make forward pocket selection hard for selectors.

Minson – Stepped up on Saturday, Put aside the poor form of last week and Free Against Happy nature against Richmond and dominated the Ruck. The Minno we like to see and hopefully can recapture AA form while the other rucks start contesting him for top ruck duties

Murph – Heart and soul Captain, unquestionable confidence in him when we need to get out of sticky situations in Back Pocket/HB congestion (even in marking situations). It’ll be a sad day when we need to find a replacement for his reliability

Jong – Perhaps the game to lock him in for Round 1 which we wanted to see after the apparent Pre-Season he’s had. Had a sense of improvement in kicking for goal in his 2 set shots which is great to see.

Toyd – I’m a massive fan-boy, I love what he’s brought to the team to this stage even structural wise and no concerns that he isn’t taking the headlines. Over the pre-season he’s changed the outlook even for me personally where I’d follow our dogs week in week out but there was not much positivity; to now where he’s reinvigorated interest and hope to me and many in the way that I want to watch his career as it happens; and to this stage has done the job in his 2 outings. His snap after Wood’s desperation was confident and I tell you the one thing that stayed in my mind after Stringers was Boyd’s one hand grasp and slinging handball in one-motion. Will look to him/Bont/String/etc. to take us to Promised Land.

Big Red – Started with Toyd because his influence has brought in the Big Red. Has benefited incredibly from our structural improvement along with our other forwards from Toyd taking best defender. And that’s nothing against how he has worked through the pre-season; his marking up to the wing has replayed in my mind, has confidently kicked on the set shot and is all round looking the goods to be our perfect CHF. Lookout

Picken – How to question his importance to the team, did everything right and more thoughout the evening. Comparing him to other players in the team in moments of possession is strange because he doesn’t do much different but he’s so bullish and a fighter where you can see he gives his all after every battle; that I believer sets him apart. Will be so important for the season ahead.

Stringer – Is struggling a little this preseason, but doesn’t need a lot to put his impact on a game, displayed in moments on Saturday. Most fans know, not much to be concerned with, we know he can easily tear games apart with patience.

Grant – Boy has he played into some form we’ve been dreaming about. Amazing thing about his game on Saturday that we all noted was his first kick came in the final quarter, but his contribution to the game before that was outstanding. Personally to me was the epitome of our pressure on Sat, usually being one of the players whose work rate and pressure we question; must continue this consistently throughout the season.

JJ – Had his shocking 2 kicks, but I loved his bullet to the wing to show one of the beautiful things about our game (as inconsistent as he is). Unfortunate with the clash and hope he recovers well, his dash early was already promising despite the quality of his disposal.

Honeychurch – It’s not even like he performed badly but is probably most inline to get dropped for Round 1 along with First Year Daniel. Like all players, brought the intensity and offered a lot all over the ground but nothing outstanding.

Daniel – Put in a hell of an effort for just over a quarter. Will most likely be dropped for Round 1 but didn’t do much wrong and was rather impressive along with his performance against Melbourne. Represented our draftees well in what has looked like a impressive preseason from all of them.

Roughy/Talia/Hamling – Talls did the job and are starting to understand the space and each other better. Cloke barely had an influence after his lucky but skilful foot-in goal and all praise to our Key Backs. Hamling has been quite a pickup and shows serious dash and read of play for his size. Roughy and Talia to go further being our backline security

Cordy – Did no harm in giving himself chances to be in the seniors, kick a good goal in the 1st, and did good things all around the ground. Coming of age we can all hope like Grant.

Morris – Mr Reliable, no questions about his performance. Like Murph, will be sad to think of anyone who can replace what he brings to the team.

Easton – As a few of you know, this guy’s endeavours ever since the horror first few games last year when played out of position to the form he’s had since then have me being his biggest fan. Is doing everything right to his defensive capabilities (Contests and disputed ball), But also has elite dash that he brings every game that would kill me if we didn’t have. These were just NAB Cup games but even against the Tigers he brought his all, most notably against Collingwood when he disrupted 2 of their handball chains, one to the boundary, other setting up Toyd’s goal. If there’s anyone I want signed up to not see leave to GWS or other, it’s him.

That’s my write while watching Man U v Liverpool. Cheers for reading if you got through that, tell me what you think.

Martin will be good but won't come close to matching a combined effort from Macrae/Stringer.

We made the right choice in not giving up picks 5-6.
Martin has a long way to go to catch just Macrae, let alone both. Macrae will win a brownlow imo.

Martin will be good but won't come close to matching a combined effort from Macrae/Stringer.

We made the right choice in not giving up picks 5-6.
Martin is a year younger and is probably going to be awesome. Even IF he is better than our guys, we got the best result as we have 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly in Bev's presser he identifies the drop off in the second half of the third quarter.

He attributed it in part to 'a bit of mayhem on the bench' relating to personnel.

This interests me. Has anyone ever sat near the bench?. I've often commented how it seems to be an unorganised rabble. I wonder if the same men are in that role. Might be something Bev has just identified.

We had a couple of injuries from the midway point of the 3rd qtr... Roughie went off forcing Ayce to go back leaving us a rotation down for the rest if the game... It caused a bit of confusion and players were thrown around a little..

Martin has a long way to go to catch just Macrae, let alone both. Macrae will win a brownlow imo.

Fronk , is Macrae seriously underrated around the competition ? His out put has been sensational from day 1.
Can't think of another young player that's made the impact he has in the 2 years on the list.
I will put my hand up here and had severe reservations when we drafted him. On his "highlights "packaged wasn't convinced. I am so happy to be so utterly wrong , he is a gun !

Fronk , is Macrae seriously underrated around the competition ? His out put has been sensational from day 1.
Can't think of another young player that's made the impact he has in the 2 years on the list.
I will put my hand up here and had severe reservations when we drafted him. On his "highlights "packaged wasn't convinced. I am so happy to be so utterly wrong , he is a gun !
Wines is in front of him, but they're both great players.

Dogs kicked 12 goals from turnovers on saturday
impressive

The gamestyle is chalk and cheese from last year. I didn't think we had the right type of players to play this style of play but judging on Saturdays game it seems promising.

Matthew Boyd in particular has been bloody impressive in his new role. Can't fault his form so far.

I get the feeling Murphys going to be tagged a fair bit this year from half back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back