Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I take a different view.

Crowley went outside of the club & medicos ... this reeks of an attempt to do something that he knew would likely to be against the rules, hence his actions to hide something.

To me he deliberately broke the drug rules, he should feel the full weight of any consequences

This is exactly the way I see it. It's quite naive to think this is all an honest mistake.

KT spoke to Caroline Wilson of The Age about Patrick Ryder and Angus Monfries...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...d-by-antidoping-tribunal-20150317-1m1gy7.html

Club chief Keith Thomas has admitted that he does not share the confidence of Essendon coach James Hird and his president Paul Little that the players facing anti-doping penalties would be free to play in round-one.

"I'm not confident," said Thomas. "I'm on the fence. I think there's a real chance they'll get some penalty and we have discussed that with them.

1426589599529.jpg

Paddy Ryder at his new club in November last year.Photo: Getty Images

"Our players are sharing legal representation with the Essendon players and I know the AFL Players Association, in particular, is very confident they will be cleared.

"But I've also spoken with the AFL and they are completely 50-50 on what the outcome will be. They cannot say for sure either way. That's my position."

One of the small things I've learned is to beware people and possibly lawyers who are 'confident'.

You gotta love Rooch - either he has no idea how things work, or is being deliberately provocative. I love his naivety on drugs in the afl and sports. no on line so I've used a cut and paste from www.pressdisplay.com but you can read it at
http://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-advertiser/20150318/282720520445784/TextView
and you can check out and zoom in and read all the virtual newspaper at http://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-advertiser/

He finishes the story with - which I have explained why its different at an Olympics
ASADA: It took 62 days to work Crowley’s sample through two tests to confirm he had taken a banned substance. It needed just three days to name, shame and strip Ben Johnson of his Olympic gold medal in 1988 after positive blood and urine samples.

But starts off with

“I THINK we’ll have a stricter (drug) code than any other sport in the world.”

That was Andrew Demetriou 22 months ago when he was AFL chief executive — and the Essendon supplements saga was unravelling to erode his legacy in Australian football. Demetriou was advocating the AFL would have a list of banned substances running deeper than those at the World Anti-Doping Agency or the Australian Sports AntiDoping Authority.

Today, the AFL — even with Demetriou gone — has its reputation and its mission to have the world’s toughest drug code in tatters by an experienced player foolishly reaching for a banned painkiller to ease his troubled back.

The AFL condoned Fremantle tagger Ryan Crowley to play deep into last year’s AFL final series, eight weeks after supplying a positive sample. The league allowed Crowley to keep his name out of public scrutiny until the question of why he was not playing in the Dockers’ pre-season games — nor training with the main group at Fremantle — exposed him. Hardly sounds tough, does it? There are too many questions without satisfactory answers today.

AFL: The league is, for the sake of credibility, required to rely on independent drug testers. As NRL super coach Wayne Bennett keeps asking, how has ASADA served Australian sport?

The AFL should be seen at arm’s length from ASADA.

But it may want to press the federal government on making the anti-doping agency more effective.

Where the AFL will struggle to maintain public faith — in a year in which new AFL chief Gillon McLachlan wants to win back the fans — is answering why Crowley’s name was kept confidential and why the integrity unit at AFL House could not deal with his case in September or October..........

KT spoke to Caroline Wilson of The Age about Patrick Ryder and Angus Monfries...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...d-by-antidoping-tribunal-20150317-1m1gy7.html

One of the small things I've learned is to beware people and possibly lawyers who are 'confident'.

I reckon this was a favour called in by Caro for a comment - no other clubs would have wanted to comment on this, and she wanted to counter the essendon spin yesterday that they were confident.

KT did really well to give her just enough comment for a juicy headline, but not enough to stir up the nest.

The only thing lawyers should be confident about in this situation is about the foolishness of being confident about the outcome.

There's a second "thing" the lawyers should be confident about ... that is an extremely good pay packet out of all the years of goings on.

I take a different view.

Crowley went outside of the club & medicos ... this reeks of an attempt to do something that he knew would likely to be against the rules, hence his actions to hide something.

To me he deliberately broke the drug rules, he should feel the full weight of any consequences

I do have a degree of sympathy for him, but Crowley must have been living under a rock. If the cases of Saad (match day protein shake), Matt Clark (similar to Saad) in the VFL, the Travis Casserly incident where he took a cold and flu on the day of the epic 2010 WAFL Grand Final which was hugely publicised in WA and not mention the whole bloody Essendon saga didn't provide him with some kind of idea of the dangers involved...

I'll presume innocent motives until proven otherwise, but geez it was dumb.

Obviously Lumumba is a bit of a troll but somewhere in there is actually a fair discussion point about strict liability. Let's say I spiked Buddy Franklin's drink with some kind of banned substance and he tested positive to that substance the next day and was hauled before ASADA - does he have any ground to stand on or is that simply his bad luck and he cops 6-18 months?

Obviously Lumumba is a bit of a troll but somewhere in there is actually a fair discussion point about strict liability. Let's say I spiked Buddy Franklin's drink with some kind of banned substance and he tested positive to that substance the next day and was hauled before ASADA - does he have any ground to stand on or is that simply his bad luck and he cops 6-18 months?
I believe there was a hungarian? (eastern european) hammer/discus/shot-putter who originally had her gold medal stripped after testing positive during the athens olympics who successfully argued the 'sabotage' defence as her ex coach - bitter falling out from memory - spiked her drinks with some banned substance during competition as payback.

What a dick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also - was chatting to a dude at the pub tonight who work's in Freo's sports science department and he was saying that at it's height, Essendon's injection program proscribed 20 injections per player per week.

That's 3 a day. Pharmacologically experimental environment indeed!

Its really not that hard....

this is the life of professional sports people and they get paid big bucks to determine who they hang with and how they are to protect themselves...

harry "what if i breathe in 2nd hand smoke off people who smoke the drug"

Really Harry really.....

too many people ..grown adults
need their hand held through life its getting ridiculous....

Don't know but it's a little amusing the AFL get to set the penalties and they are one of the parties the players will be launching legal action against once the action against the players is finalised.

What are the likelihoods ryder and monfries get to play in any other the first 4 crucial matches ?

About 0.1%. It's now just a matter of how many matches they will miss not whether they will miss matches - and I can't imagine it being less than a month of actual football.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...ots-footy-crisis/story-fni0fit3-1227273787839

Holy s**t. Allegations of officials supplying ice to players as a performance enhancer.

Not really surprising. Geelong Addie talked about this around start of the new year without naming names of country towns,clubs,officials or players. Also 4 Corners last year had this story in October last year how much Ice had gotten into rural communities in Victoria and Tassie and it hinted that it had made its way into country sports.See vision and transript at

ICE RUSH

Not really surprising. Geelong Addie talked about this around start of the new year without naming names of country towns,clubs,officials or players. Also 4 Corners last year had this story in October last year how much Ice had gotten into rural communities in Victoria and Tassie and it hinted that it had made its way into country sports.See vision and transript at

ICE RUSH

Yeah, saw that program at the time. I don't recall mention of coaches supplying players though, including teenagers. That is the big bit of news for me out of this article.

If found guilty.
If not found guilty and WADA appeals straight to CAS then they could miss a year or two whilst they are provisionally suspended and CAS finally gets to hear their case. Whilst the AFL tribunal is independent of AFL executives and Commissioners and chairman David Jones QC will not be listening to what AFL wants, he will consider the ramifications of a wrist slap to the players, as being a potential big issue in this process coming to its final legal conclusion ie it could go on well past his ruling.

Yeah, saw that program at the time. I don't recall mention of coaches supplying players though, including teenagers. That is the big bit of news for me out of this article.

Thats why I said the program hinted at it because the program talked about how insidious it had become and gotten deep into the community - and rural sports is such a part of rural life. There was scene at a local sports club. As I said in my first or second post in this thread 2.5 years ago - when it comes to drugs in sport, PED or illicit drugs, you have to join dots to find out and understand what's really going on.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back