Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

"Although typically used as a cough suppressant, codeine is also a narcotic-based painkiller, he said."

Really? In my experience it's hardly ever used as a suppressant and typically used as a pain killer?

Guess I'm no doctor though.

Codeine Linctus does wonders for a persistent cough and has the added bonus of getting you as high as a kite.

If you are a tennis player you could win the French open and Wimbeldon within 5 weeks. The ITF is a bit like the UCI - not as corrupt and letting an Armstrong dictate things - but it doesnt really want to go the full hog on getting tough on drugs in tennis. The $$$ involved and the effort required to win a 2 week tournament and the grind of a world circuit means the desire/temptation to use PEDs is huge.

Codeine Linctus does wonders for a persistent cough and has the added bonus of getting you as high as a kite.

Haha, good old codeine linctus. That's sort of my reasoning behind why it's not really used all that much as a suppressant due to the fact it does make you loopy! I'd find it hard to believe that Crowley was taking that for a cough.. Much more likely to be used for the analgesic effect.

OR he was just mixing errthing up and dranking purple syrup Lil' Wayne style ;)

Haha, good old codeine linctus. That's sort of my reasoning behind why it's not really used all that much as a suppressant due to the fact it does make you loopy! I'd find it hard to believe that Crowley was taking that for a cough.. Much more likely to be used for the analgesic effect.

OR he was just mixing errthing up and dranking purple syrup Lil' Wayne style ;)

Lil' Wayne Jackson former AFL CEO?

A fair bit of debate going on about whether he should be banned or not, Lewis & cRowey on the innocent side with Bicks & Tredders saying he should cop his whack if found guilty.

If he tested positive to a banned substance shouldn't he have to cop the punishment like anybody else in the past ala Saad? He can claim it as a mistake all he wants but these players are paid to adhere to these rules.

I always have a chuckle at Rowe trying to talk about drugs in sport as he has no idea but of course he thinks Crowley should play rd1, would he have the same opinion if the Crows were playing Freo?

If you are a tennis player you could win the French open and Wimbeldon within 5 weeks. The ITF is a bit like the UCI - not as corrupt and letting an Armstrong dictate things - but it doesnt really want to go the full hog on getting tough on drugs in tennis. The $$$ involved and the effort required to win a 2 week tournament and the grind of a world circuit means the desire/temptation to use PEDs is huge.

Didn't Agassi admit to, both crack and standard powdered cocaine usage.

Interesting article I read on the subject.... http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/10/28/tennis.agassi.crystal.meth/index.html?iref=nextin

raptalia's style is to make big exaggerations rather than stick to the facts as a way of making his point - especially on this topic. He'd make a good politican answering a question.

Do you honestly believe that I believe that any Essendon player will get a life ban ? You of all people should know from my previous posts on this topic that on the strength of the evidence I am not even convinced that Angus and Paddy will be found guilty. Then again Paul Little thinks that as well so I need to be careful lest I am accused of being a Paul Little mole.

Do you honestly believe that I believe that any Essendon player will get a life ban ? You of all people should know from my previous posts on this topic that on the strength of the evidence I am not even convinced that Angus and Paddy will be found guilty. Then again Paul Little thinks that as well so I need to be careful lest I am accused of being a Paul Little mole.
No I believe you like to use hyperbole in some of your comments. That's what my post was about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are people drawing the line of "If Crowley gets 2 years, Essendon players will get life" the 2 cases are completely different.One case has a positive test to a banned substance the other is relying on circumstantial evidence.Their nowhere near close to each other.Crowley's case is more aligned to Saad's case.

Cowley went to a doctor with a back complaint and the doctor injected a banned substance. Saad was drinking protein shakes containing banned substances. Both tested positive and suffer the consequences but I think Saad was deliberately playing with fire whereas Cowley's infraction was more incidental. I am not sure how many shakes Saad took and for how long but if he did it more than once his case is far worse than Cowley's.

I guess the question in Cowley's case is why he didn't consult the Doc from the Dockers? Perhaps he figured if he had he would not have been selected for the next game?

Cowley went to a doctor with a back complaint and the doctor injected a banned substance. Saad was drinking protein shakes containing banned substances. Both tested positive and suffer the consequences but I think Saad was deliberately playing with fire whereas Cowley's infraction was more incidental. I am not sure how many shakes Saad took and for how long but if he did it more than once his case is far worse than Cowley's.

I guess the question in Cowley's case is why he didn't consult the Doc from the Dockers? Perhaps he figured if he had he would not have been selected for the next game?

The rules are in place regarding things like corticosteroid injections (common for back complaints, they are not anabolic or performance enhancing, they simply aid healing and reduce pain) to avoid players being played through injuries. Obviously Crowley didn't want to miss finals and took the risk, knowing his career is coming to an end and it may be his only chance to win a grandfinal since the loss in 2013, that is the way it seems to me. He knew the risks and rolled the dice.

I like Crowley as a man and a player. Stupid mistake shouldn't end his career. Slap him on the wrist and let him do charity work for a year.
This drug shite is driving me to drink.

Frankly, it's nearly beyond belief that a 31 year old with 12 years experience in the AFL system could make a 'mistake' of this nature, especially given the non-stop coverage of the Essendon scandal for the past 2 years. I'm thinking there could be more to this - either Crowley rolled the dice and took the risk or he got bad advice from someone. I refuse to believe it was a careless mistake.

Frankly, it's nearly beyond belief that a 31 year old with 12 years experience in the AFL system could make a 'mistake' of this nature, especially given the non-stop coverage of the Essendon scandal for the past 2 years. I'm thinking there could be more to this - either Crowley rolled the dice and took the risk or he got bad advice from someone. I refuse to believe it was a careless mistake.

Yep. Look at Cornes recent comments on how careful he is by contrast. Similar vintage to Crowley.

I've missed if that's the actual story?
Should it be the case that Ryan has deliberately gone behind the clubs back to cover an injury he's more than a little fortunate the club is standing by him. He's going to get 12 months and Freo I doubt will play him even if available it would be a poor look for the Dockers they'll let ASADA run their course.

September 11: ‘B’ Test confirmed

September 13: A meeting involving representatives of the AFL, the Illuminati, big pharma, David King, the CIA and Vladimir Putin decide to ensure the AFL Grand Final is not overshadowed by the news.

Group also decides to keep AFL being shown in Standard Definition ‘for the laughs.’

September 14: David King places a bet that Ryan Crowley will test positive for a banned substance.

September 18: Show Cause Notice issued. This is the fastest time ever for ASADA.

September 19- 24 Someone reads Crowley the Show Cause notice, explains the big words.

Would not take any notice of Little or Hirds confidence have been confident about most things right the way through and ended up with mud on their face at pretty well step though the legal system. Not to mention the legal action will be taken by the players against the essendon football club should they be suspended. These guys as about as believable as Baghdad Bob.
That the players association is confident is a hopeful sign though, there are some intelligent people there and I think they were sitting in on the hearings?

I like Crowley as a man and a player. Stupid mistake shouldn't end his career. Slap him on the wrist and let him do charity work for a year.

I take a different view.

Crowley went outside of the club & medicos ... this reeks of an attempt to do something that he knew would likely to be against the rules, hence his actions to hide something.

To me he deliberately broke the drug rules, he should feel the full weight of any consequences

Remove this Banner Ad

Back