Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

That goal is pretty much my favourite memory of season 2014, other than the 2 finals wins.

Nahas kicking the goal to put us in front against Richmond is one of the lasting memories I have of 2014.

Poor example. Despite him playing a blinder.They had no ruckman, were smashed inside and he was on Motlop who had no business playing & it was a very pro North crowd that night. They didn't wKe up until the 2nd half, and he had 75% of his possessions already.
Seriously clutching at straws to ignore a BOG performance in a cut-throat final. He was on Motlop for a short time (and killed him) and WTF does a pro-North crowd have to do with anything

My contention is that of all his 35 possessions, I only remember a singl awesome tackle and a handball to Dal.
That's probably because you would rather watch Selwood get 35 possessions in that game than Gibson

Adelaide in Adelaode
Sydney in Sydney
Essendon at dome/final
West Coke in Perth.
Freo in Freo.
Geelong in Geelong/Final

Sadly, he was 2/8.

And not even I could say say he isn't a better player than Stanton right now, but that isn't saying much.

Classic Arjen selective criteria and utter BS arbitrary rating (2/8). Keep up the good work mate. Btw, how did McKenzie and Harper go in those games?

Poor example. Despite him playing a blinder.They had no ruckman, were smashed inside and he was on Motlop who had no business playing & it was a very pro North crowd that night. They didn't wKe up until the 2nd half, and he had 75% of his possessions already.

My contention is that of all his 35 possessions, I only remember a singl awesome tackle and a handball to Dal.

Senior players, leadership group worthy players need to perform in the following games:

Adelaide in Adelaode
Sydney in Sydney
Essendon at dome/final
West Coke in Perth.
Freo in Freo.
Geelong in Geelong/Final

Sadly, he was 2/8.

And not even I could say say he isn't a better player than Stanton right now, but that isn't saying much.
So we can win the premiership...

Nek Minnit

List excuses as to why we beat Geelong and Hawks.

If Gibson played well...other reasons at play there. "Mr boy brad hill"

So we can win the premiership...

Nek Minnit

List excuses as to why we beat Geelong and Hawks.

If Gibson played well...other reasons at play there. "Mr boy brad hill"

We can win the flag.

And in any game of footy, there are underlying reasons as to why a team is up for the challenge, or not.

Hawthorn came at us that night and we withstood the challenge and they lost the plot. It was glorious. But they were missing some weapons and it showed. That's no slight on our performance, its a balanced, informed view of that particular game.

Us winning a flag and hawthorn missing dangerous players in rd15 of the previous year, would at first glance appear to be mutuallý exclusive.

Seriously clutching at straws to ignore a BOG performance in a cut-throat final. He was on Motlop for a short time (and killed him) and WTF does a pro-North crowd have to do with anything

That's probably because you would rather watch Selwood get 35 possessions in that game than Gibson

Classic Arjen selective criteria and utter BS arbitrary rating (2/8). Keep up the good work mate. Btw, how did McKenzie and Harper go in those games?

I would rather that cheating, umpire assisted dog to be mauled at every opportunity, but one cant help but admire a true A Grade footballer lifting their side single handedly in a game in which they were comprehensively flogged. By any definition he is a wonderful footballer.

As to my rating system, it takes into consideration many factors which are no less relevant than the criterion with which you base your opinion.

Goldstein was bog or certainly the most influential.
Dal was next IMO.
Gibbo was next alongside 4 goal heroes Petrie & Thomas.

As for the rest, i take his possession count as seriously as i take the threat of personal ovarian malfunction.

Playing footy in front of a parochial and supportive home crowd is much easier than playing in front of a crowd baying for your blood.

He is a trier, he is a brilliant runner, he deserves all the supoort of the masses. However, to call his first final solid is no less clutching at straws than my biased assessment. He was diabolical. And he was worse again Sydney.

Harper for all his flaws tackles like a madman and is fast and is a booming kick. He has never played in a good North side, so its hard to say how he would go.

McKenzie would add plenty but he too has flaws, hopefully we see him this season in some capacity.

Hawthorn came at us that night and we withstood the challenge and they lost the plot. It was glorious. But they were missing some weapons and it showed. That's no slight on our performance, its a balanced, informed view of that particular game.
Rioli and Hill, wasn't it? We only had to mind one speedster (Isaac Smith), which made a difference. In reverse, I still think we need another pacy mid. Damn you Stephen Wells.

Playing footy in front of a parochial and supportive home crowd is much easier than playing in front of a crowd baying for your blood.
To be fair, it was a Victorian final, not a home final. But yes, of course.

And for me, when I look at the ladder predictions thread on the main board, what I reflect on are the finals permutations. Too many options have us playing away in our first (if we make top 4) or second final, if we finish 5th/6th, but then play the likes of Sydney, Port or Fremantle away. Recent history shows winning an away final is a significant hurdle for any side.

I still think you're being harsh on Gibson. ;)

Rioli and Hill, wasn't it? We only had to mind one speedster (Isaac Smith), which made a difference. In reverse, I still think we need another pacy mid. Damn you Stephen Wells.

To be fair, it was a Victorian final, not a home final. But yes, of course.

And for me, when I look at the ladder predictions thread on the main board, what I reflect on are the finals permutations. Too many options have us playing away in our first (if we make top 4) or second final, if we finish 5th/6th, but then play the likes of Sydney, Port or Fremantle away. Recent history shows winning an away final is a significant hurdle for any side.

I still think you're being harsh on Gibson. ;)

You don't see him live enough ;)

For every s**t call i make on Gibson, Jamie, Wright, Grima... i think i make up for it with my faith in the youngsters.

And yes, Hill, Rioli & Gibbo missed.

We must finish 1 or 2. Its a huge ask, but doable. I'm confident after hearing the boys abuse each other at training, not to mention the size of some of our boys who are now men.

Ok so on the club website there's a fantastic radio interview with Brad Scott. It's fairly lengthly but I recommend you check it out. One of a few interesting revelations is the suggestion that Gibson may be doing some training as a tagger. Brad says he's got the key attributes of a tagger (discipline and endurance). What are our thoughts?

Ok so on the club website there's a fantastic radio interview with Brad Scott. It's fairly lengthly but I recommend you check it out. One of a few interesting revelations is the suggestion that Gibson may be doing some training as a tagger. Brad says he's got the key attributes of a tagger (discipline and endurance). What are our thoughts?
Pretty sure the interview was posted in the pre-season thread.

I like it a lot. I've been crying out for a genuine tagger for years (Levi, for all his strong defensive traits, wasn't a tagger). Too often do the elite mids of the competition carve us up.

As an aside, I have long been of the opinion that the best tagger I have seen was Adam Simpson, in the short period he filled that role (before Rawlings -who was also brilliant at it- took over, as Simmo was destined for bigger and better things). Poor ol' Nafan would still have nightmares.

And Simmo came from playing pretty much Gibbo's current role as a roaming wingman before going into the tagging role. More than happy to see Gibbo follow in Simmo's footsteps, albeit later in life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as he doesnt turn into a no talent hack like Crowley I'm fine with him being a tagger.

As long as he doesnt turn into a no talent hack like Crowley I'm fine with him being a tagger.

I'd be more than happy for him to be totally accountable for an opposition match winner and to work them into the ground the other way.

disposal efficiency stat is one of the worst stats, an effective kick as a stat may not be actually considered effective as a clean pass when you watch the game. Also it doesn't take into account players who choose to kick to uncontested players vs going to a contested situation more often.

Gibson is unfortunately a poor kick and at this stage can't see him improving it and for that reason wouldn't be in my best 22 ahead of our more skillful players despite him being fitter.

disposal efficiency stat is one of the worst stats, an effective kick as a stat may not be actually considered effective as a clean pass when you watch the game. Also it doesn't take into account players who choose to kick to uncontested players vs going to a contested situation more often.

Gibson is unfortunately a poor kick and at this stage can't see him improving it and for that reason wouldn't be in my best 22 ahead of our more skillful players despite him being fitter.
He had a couple of howlers on the weekend.

Then followed it up with a couple of pinpoint passes inside fifty that led to goals.

Frustrating at times for sure.

He had a couple of howlers on the weekend.

Then followed it up with a couple of pinpoint passes inside fifty that led to goals.

Frustrating at times for sure.

And a perfectly waited left foot pass to dish. Who promptly f***ed up the set shot.

Interesting stat comparison for elite ball user Dal Santo vs clanger king Gibson. Bare in mind only a total 3 possessions between these 2 players for all of last year. Other than Dal Santo avg more contested ball which could be argued, these numbers stack up well.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d1=370&tid2=13&pid2=1829&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

It would be interesting to know what the result was from each clanger..i.e turnover Goal to the opposition as compared to just a miss a target

That left foot pass... please. My grandma could have kicked that to him.

Petrie had no one with 100m of him, was hardly threading the eye of a needle.

If he can't hit targets in a nab game with no pressure, how is he going to go in front of 52,000 savage fans in that cauldron of noise.

If we are selecting a team on NAB form, he would be 35th picked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back