Will ASADA/WADA appeal? - UPDATE: ASADA will not appeal - WADA has appealed

Will ASADA/WADA appeal?

• Yes

Votes: 256 65.1%
  • No

Votes: 137 34.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading what McDevitt has to say I am convinced there will be an appeal by ASADA. No amount of pressure from the AFL is going to be able to stop him.

As much as Gill and Essendon hoped this would all blow over there is still the possible appeal, the Hunter legal proceedings and of course Dank. It will continue for another season.

Well, there you go. Show's over folks. I've said all along an appeal is unlikely but now I'd be staggered.

ASADA went all in and I doubt wada want to sell the farm to rescue them.

Stick a fork in it and bring on the footy.

Mate I admire your passion, you seem to be very resolute. I wonder if the EFC players feel like its over, or have they suffered irreversible stress and anxiety. Or worse have they been given something that may compromise their health, they don't know....and we seem to only have S Dank's word for it that all is good.....all the best hope its over, but this is bigger than just EFC, its about detecting PEDs in pro sport and protecting player welfare.

I think if a appeal does happen again, will bring the players down again. However thats not excuse not to appeal.

There will always be doubt in their minds while this still goes on

im glad my club were found not guilty because 1. there wasnt enough evidence to show they cheated, and Im not prepared to call them cheats without a conviction, 2. they never intended to cheat IMO so if they got lucky so be it, and 3. I think they have suffered enough over the last 26 months anyway.

I have no solution for a lack of positive test, no damning records, and no smoking gun. I'd love to know how many cheats have been caught on records of banned substances alone
Your club wasn't found not guilty. No of course there wasn't enough evidence when there was a deplorable lack of records, as mentioned by the tribunal chairman and now Health Minister Sussan Ley has also weighed in, saying that regardless of the tribunal's verdict, the initial report found an experimental environment that was never adequately controlled.

"Any injection of unknown substances into athletes in order to push the boundaries of sporting achievement is unacceptable," she said. "It shows a complete disregard for player safety and welfare."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...s-case-is-not-yet-closed-20150401-1md2ip.html

The players would have to be complicit though. Makes it harder.

In Essendon's case, the players were just dumb.

Not dumb, naive perhaps, but they apparently demanded a form stating what was given and that it was WADA compliant. They got the form and trusted their club and legends like Hird and Thompson. What more should they have done? Its all pretty sad really.

Yeah, I'm no lawyer but it seems a couple of problems:

1 - ASADA were grossly unprofessional in the massive leaking that went on (even if it was only via the AFL which I doubt)

2 - ASADA are a lame duck with none of the coercive powers of a Court. That EFC even took them to Court over their investigation is crap IMO.

Solution? A new Act that confers appropriate powers to ASADA, BUT with these powers comes responsibility like with ACCC, total confidentiality. I'd suggest sporting bodies appointing Tribunal's to these matters is crap. Send it all straight to the Federal Court.
ASADA were investigated by the police and cleared of leaking. EFC on the other hand....

Your club wasn't found not guilty. No of course there wasn't enough evidence when there was a deplorable lack of records, as mentioned by the tribunal chairman and now Health Minister Sussan Ley has also weighed in, saying that regardless of the tribunal's verdict, the initial report found an experimental environment that was never adequately controlled.

"Any injection of unknown substances into athletes in order to push the boundaries of sporting achievement is unacceptable," she said. "It shows a complete disregard for player safety and welfare."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...s-case-is-not-yet-closed-20150401-1md2ip.html
not guilty

Actually i just rewatched it, he didn't call Charters and Alavi liars, he called them dishonest. Maybe it was better for ASADA they didn't show...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ASADA were investigated by the police and cleared of leaking. EFC on the other hand....

I find it hard to believe the EFC was leaking to Caro...leaking on Caro...well..

He's as entitled to talk up his case as efc players and supporters how confident they were.
Why does he need to do that in the media? Pathetic effort really, as the head of an organisation.

Pretty clear he was hoping to scare the players into cutting deals like the Cronulla boys so he could claim it as a win. Good thing our players are stronger than that.

You criticize the case as weak. It took 12 months to gather enough evidence and have it reviewed.
Yet still couldn't get enough on us and were embarrassed at the tribunal.

The witnesses decided at the last minute to not appear.
Probably because ASADA waited until the last minute to confirm their appearances and get them to sign affidavits. Then when they weren't forthcoming they wasted taxpayer money trying to get the courts to do their job for them, and failed.

I have to say, seeing grumpypants Ben McDevitt today was the icing on what has been a delicious ASADA cake.

Last edited:
Charter claimed it again on radio only yesterday. I'm not one for conspiracy theories but after the disgraceful interim report I wouldnt put it past ASADA one bit
“Having considered all the evidence relating to the credibility and reliability of Mr Alavi, Mr Charter and Mr Dank … the Tribunal finds that the credibility of each of these principal participants is at a low ebb and each man in acting as he did in his own way and for his own motive saw a golden opportunity to “feather his own nest.” Their lack of credibility is reflected when their reliability is called into question and the Tribunal is satisfied that on a number of important issues their evidence on those issues was not only unreliable but also … dishonest.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...-thymosin-beta-4/story-e6frf3e3-1227288292492

Why would anyone believe him? He has zero credibility.

Why does he need to do that in the media? Pathetic effort really, as the head of an organisation.

Pretty clear he was hoping to scare the players into cutting deals like the Cronulla boys so he could claim it as a win. Good thing our players are stronger than that.

Yet still couldn't get enough on us and were embarrassed at the tribunal.

Probably because ASADA waited until the last minute to confirm their appearances and get them to sign affidavits. Then when they weren't forthcoming they wasted taxpayer money to get the courts to do their job for them, and failed.
Yep ASADA have been ordinary and they shouldn't appeal.

“Having considered all the evidence relating to the credibility and reliability of Mr Alavi, Mr Charter and Mr Dank … the Tribunal finds that the credibility of each of these principal participants is at a low ebb and each man in acting as he did in his own way and for his own motive saw a golden opportunity to “feather his own nest.” Their lack of credibility is reflected when their reliability is called into question and the Tribunal is satisfied that on a number of important issues their evidence on those issues was not only unreliable but also … dishonest.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...-thymosin-beta-4/story-e6frf3e3-1227288292492

Why would anyone believe him? He has zero credibility.

So why would you say their testimony carried less weight?

It had no weight, as the panel considered them liars.

thats what ASADA are wondering. Makes sustaining a charge fairly difficult.

Anyway, Im not going to excuse the club for allowing this, but lack of records alone is not proof of doping
Think it is what everyone is wondering actually.
But no matter, as you say, you dodged a bullet. Good for you.
Let's play some football and learn some lessons from this saga so the mistakes are not repeated.

Back