Moore and Freeman - time is not for conservative selection

What do you reckon selection policy should be?

• Pick a team who has the best chance of winning this week's game

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • Pick a team that gives the kids senior experience

Votes: 21 34.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone else just glance quickly at the thread title and thought it was about Morgan Freeman?

I'm kind of disappointed now.

Agree with loki04

Other examples for us - Daisy played round 1 - resounding success
- Langdon played round 1 - resounding success.
- De Goey played round 1 - will be a resounding success

Other clubs - Nakia Cockatoo (round 1)
- Isaac Heeney (round 1)
- Clem Smith (Round 1)
- Angus Brayshaw (round 1)
- Touk Miller (round 1)
- Jarrod Garlett (round 1)
- Tom Lamb (round 1)
- Jack Lonie (round 1)

Etc etc etc. Brayshaw had an interrupted pre season but still debuted. Sometimes we are a bit too conservative with our selection policy. Give the young kids a chance & give them a taste. The opposition this weekend are also inexperienced, so it's a good time to roll the dice in my opinion. Moore for one would not let us down. His fierceness at the contest would be invaluable on Friday night.

Langdon and De Goey, interesting examples. They were both calls made by the current coaching staff. Does that not suggest to you that our match committee is good at assessing when players are ready to make the leap and so if Moore and Freeman arent playing yet there might be a good reason?

Freeman and Moore are hopefully ten year players. It doesn't make sense to do anything other than bring them on in the way that best sets them up. At the moment, that means playing VFL.

The best place for them to develop depends on personality type. If they are blessed with heaps of confidence and resilience and won't be shaken by struggling - the AFL is the best developing ground. If they have more normal amounts of confidence and resilience, VFL is the better option. Horses for courses - a blanket approach isn't the way to go. From the vibe I'm getting about his personality type, I'd be picking Moore to play the role that Brown has played the first 2 weeks.

Langdon and De Goey, interesting examples. They were both calls made by the current coaching staff. Does that not suggest to you that our match committee is good at assessing when players are ready to make the leap and so if Moore and Freeman arent playing yet there might be a good reason?
Agree and I'd add that assessments on both would have included their form in NAB matches.

Moore probably has the mental side to play AFL to help his development but still needs to build more match fitness. Having him in VFL in the meantime will also help the development of some of our other players.

My take from various reports on Freeman is that he needs to build his football smarts (better done in VFL) and whilst reasonably fit may still be gaining confidence in his body after the disaster that was last year. Add in suggestions that he change his running style and he needs time.

Patience everyone, it's not like we are giving no youth a chance.

Play kids only if they're ready.
Goldy should play forward, we missed his forward pressure last yr when he had to plug holes down back

Geelong (when they were good), Hawthorn and Sydney never gifted games to kids so why should we?

If they've earned a game through repeated good performances at VFL level, and they are capable of running out a full senior game, then pick them if we have a need for their type in the seniors.

Win first, develop second, because you'll find that winning games is actually the best form of development for a club trying to improve.

Last week we did have 11 players with under 50 games: Grundy, Langdon, Adams, Crisp, Sinclair, Williams, Broomhead, Ramsay, Seedsman, Oxley and Frost. Elliot and Fasolo both 54 games.

I reckon there is a premium on getting a lot of guys up to the 50 mark without absolutely mugging ourselves of the chance to be competitive. We also need to give those players like Oxley or Ramsay a chance to cement a spot and others in the VFL need to knock the door down or we're just playing musical chairs.

Did anyone else just glance quickly at the thread title and thought it was about Morgan Freeman?

I'm kind of disappointed now.

Morgan Freeman has one of the most beautiful voices on earth. Actually, Tradedraft has a lovely quality to his voice to. It's the best part of his YouTubes.

Pick the list that best suits itself to the game.
When a players vfl/training form is up to it - pick him then... And that is based on a number of markers that we as fans won't have access to.

Its not like our 22 is filled with guys in their 30's who are keeping the youngsters out. Other than Swanny, its safe to say everyone else on the list could still play for another 3-4years. (if good enough).

I think Freeman isnt too far from selection. Could potentially be named today if Adams and/or Pendles have to miss... But that would be on merit (as the 'next best') rather than as some sort of gift.

I don't think Darcy should be picked for a while. Our backline is already very young and I would rather see Ox and Langdon continue their roles. Might get a game later in the season, but i dont expect him to get too much AFL time this year - let him learn to play against the men in the VFL first... However without Keefe, he would now be a chance if Frost or Browny get injured.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not playing Old Man River at their expense. Such as things are, our highly rated youth will need to be outplaying our less highly rated youth to get a game.

Our veterans, Swan and Cloke, will get games every week. Pendles/Adams/Elliott/Toovey/Langdon/Goldsack/Blair will likely get a game every week. Two of Reid/Brown/Frost will get a game every week.

The ones whose spots are not cemented are Fasolo, Varcoe, Ramsay, Broomhead, Oxley and Crisp. Barring Varcoe, they're the players Freeman/DeGoey/Goodyear/Scharenberg/Kennedy will need to displace. I'd actually prefer Broomhead and Crisp keep their spots in the bigger picture, and Oxley certainly should keep his after last week's effort.

I have confidence that our young talent will get plenty of exposure this year, but without a real VFL game having been played this season, there's no need to rush them in.

Yes it does indicate this. But I just think this week is a good opportunity to give a chance to a young kid or two. We have a growing injury list & our opposition are mainly young as well.

We're not playing Old Man River at their expense. Such as things are, our highly rated youth will need to be outplaying our less highly rated youth to get a game.

Our veterans, Swan and Cloke, will get games every week. Pendles/Adams/Elliott/Toovey/Langdon/Goldsack/Blair will likely get a game every week. Two of Reid/Brown/Frost will get a game every week.

The ones whose spots are not cemented are Fasolo, Varcoe, Ramsay, Broomhead, Oxley and Crisp. Barring Varcoe, they're the players Freeman/DeGoey/Goodyear/Scharenberg/Kennedy will need to displace. I'd actually prefer Broomhead and Crisp keep their spots in the bigger picture, and Oxley certainly should keep his after last week's effort.

I have confidence that our young talent will get plenty of exposure this year, but without a real VFL game having been played this season, there's no need to rush them in.

Totally agree TRS. I just hope the coaching staff have the courage to replace under performing senior players such as Varcoe before it is too late.

I think we shouldn't feel compelled to play anyone we traded in to save face, such as Varcoe, however now is not the time to do that given how much senior midfield experience we already have out. With the current injuries to Sidebottom and Greenwood there will be opportunities for young players - at whatever draft number - to get a gig but they need to impress.

The best place for them to develop depends on personality type. If they are blessed with heaps of confidence and resilience and won't be shaken by struggling - the AFL is the best developing ground. If they have more normal amounts of confidence and resilience, VFL is the better option. Horses for courses - a blanket approach isn't the way to go. From the vibe I'm getting about his personality type, I'd be picking Moore to play the role that Brown has played the first 2 weeks.

And perhaps someone like Fasolo may have benefited more from a bit of time in the VFL before he was given a run in the AFL even though at the time he was capable of playing at that level. I think personality, fitness, physical strength should all come it to it.

Geelong (when they were good), Hawthorn and Sydney never gifted games to kids so why should we?

If they've earned a game through repeated good performances at VFL level, and they are capable of running out a full senior game, then pick them if we have a need for their type in the seniors.

Win first, develop second, because you'll find that winning games is actually the best form of development for a club trying to improve.

They did when they were rebuilding all the way back when 02/03/04/05 etc, ie the same stage we are in the did in fact blood and play a lot of kids. Both Hawks and Geelongs success' came off the back of playing the kids when they had major rebuilds early to mid 00s.

Sydney doesn't need to blood youth when they can buy developed players most years also Heeney is getting a game from out of the blocks how much 2nds footy did he play before getting a perma 22 spot eh? So they also do it when it pleases.

Yes it does indicate this. But I just think this week is a good opportunity to give a chance to a young kid or two. We have a growing injury list & our opposition are mainly young as well.

Not only that everyone that is against it are scared all the youth will come in and ruin a career off a few games its rubbish. Sighting Watts yet look at Stringer, Heppell, Bont, Macrea, Zakahrakas, Heeney, Hill x 2, half of GWS and GC could go on and on. Hell we did it with Grundy, Kennedy and Broomhead so why all the angst over others now? are they ruined for playing year one? Elliott is another year 1 player is he now shit due to it?
Many players don't get destroyed in fact very few do, there is much less players who end up ruined from it then who go on with a good to excellent career from playing early.

Also people are only advocating the youth who are showing form or who showed form off last season (but didn't get a go Karnexzis, Kennedy etc even then they expect them to play well in vfl bfr call up), no one has asked we switch our VFL team in for the AFL side or play struggling kids.

When you are in the position (as a club) we now are in then accelerating the youths AFL experience is vital in rebounding back up quicker.
They coaches/players all agree a player needs 50 games to have a real grasp on AFL footy. We need to accelerate the top end talent as much as possible/practicable as we can unless they are truly struggling with the step up.

Paige saying her Source is Maxwell so I don’t know IF I am 100% True.

Having Moore and Freeman Debut. Kind of reminds me when Dawes and McCarthy Debuted.

Be very interesting where we play Moore

Or a good opportunity it include Dwyer who has a bit more experience to support Crisp, Ramsey and Oxley who collectively would probably not played 20 games. These kids are already under enough pressure. If Freeman and Moore are seen as ready and the next best then fine, but just chucking the kids in because its the Saints could be disasterous in terms of confidence for all of the kids if it turns ugly.

Back