Review R3: Port v North Melbourne Review

Remove this Banner Ad

So stoked with win, in patches we were way to good, and on the other hand they were just as good. But as happy as I am I'm going to get a ban cos what happened to Ollie is one of the most disgusting acts I've seen in a footy field. Anyway hope to see of you lot next wkend at home but I'm off to call that plastic club what they are
what? unless you saw something the rest of us didnt there was nothing in it. what did you see?

Huh? I didn't see anything?

THe poster you quoted came onto the North Board saying that about the most disgusting thing they've seen on a field.

Would be great if somone could shed light on what they are actually talking about.

Didn't even know Wines had gone off let alone what caused it.

Don't know what goes through Chad Wingards mind sometimes. Takes a mark and handballs to Angus.
Just go back and take your kick for goal.
What Chad did, taking the mark and bouncing off the point post and playing on, was the right thing to do, given the angle he would have been put on for a left footer, but he should have turned his body and snapped the ball and not handballed to Monfries.

After 3 games I don't think we are close to where we need to be defensively. From the first 3 rounds this year compared to the last 3 games last year we aren't running hard enough to defence. We seem to be hitting the forward 50 with 40 players clogging goal and getting caught out on the rebound with opposition marks 30-40m from a no angle goal. And I hate myself for being so negative after a win.

I agree. Sometimes we don't have a target ahead of ourselves but that's not the norm and so is this clogging in our forward 50m due to our handball-run game delaying the forward entry of the ball?

I'm relieved with this win. I still think we can play better and get more input from more players for longer periods of the game but are we a poor kicking side? Remove the dead set short kicks away from the contest, when we attack must we be better with our kicks to be a grand finalist?

On another note.
If one club had not happened there is more than a fair chance that both Ah Chee and Krakouer would not have been out there tonight.
Krakouer still in outback WA and Arch playing in the reserves somewhere.

...Jack Hombsch!

he did some good stuff especially that kick from the centre that was weighted beautifully for White who ran in and goaled.

I'm in Mitch's corner
but finding I'm wanting more
clunking pack marks and towering goals
he's got it in him let the genie out

Yeah I don't think I saw a contested mark from him on Saturday. He has to back himself in to crash packs and take big grabs. It doesn't necessarily take mongrel, Tim Evans was no brute, but you have to believe that you own the ball. Go for it.

Nervy game but sweet win!

Classic end to end Etihad shoot out. We were lucky enough to be in front when the siren sounded. Could have gone either way, glad it went our way.

Thought Pittard and Broadbent were superb giving us drive out of the back half. Maybe one or two mistakes between them the whole night. Outstanding.

Ryder had a big influence for the first time in a Power guernsey. His tap work was decent, I think he is still trying to find that real chemistry with the midfielders to be honest, but it was his follow up work at the stoppages which really impressed me.

Ebert and Hartlett really good all night. Gray's last quarter was a match winner.

Like Wingard coming off the back of the square at the centre bounces. Glad we're seeing more and more of it, he's very effective in that role.

Carlile really controlled the back line tonight. Super.

I'm sure Brad Scott has had a whinge about the free kicks Schulz got but he deserved every single one of them. Richo was rabbiting on about stiff arms and s**t but they teach you in under 10s to take the front spot and keep your eyes on the ball - Jay did that, Thompson didn't, the umpire paid it to the ball player. Simple as that.

Krakouer very decent first game back. Ah Chee put himself amongst it in the last quarter and wasn't afraid to go in and compete for the hard ball.

Wish people would get off Danger Mitchell's back. Has limitations but he works so hard and gets himself into so many good positions, he's a more than handy 21st or 22nd man.

Disappointed with Wines' injury but that's footy. Get it right and come back mid season fresh and ready to go.

Much needed win, relieves the pressure ever so slightly. Onto another big game next week.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So stoked with win, in patches we were way to good, and on the other hand they were just as good. But as happy as I am I'm going to get a ban cos what happened to Ollie is one of the most disgusting acts I've seen in a footy field. Anyway hope to see of you lot next wkend at home but I'm off to call that plastic club what they are

Do you think he pulled a John Donehue grappling move on Ollie?

The wrist comprises a lot of small bones, ligaments and nerves and these can be more easily damaged than you'd think.

Schulz needs more praise.

4.1, earned some frees, but more importantly made them count. Did his job as FF as good as to be expected. Ran, marked, kicked, competed, in a tight game. All well and good to praise the defenders and younger guys, but the older brigade and big forwards still need loving too.

THe poster you quoted came onto the North Board saying that about the most disgusting thing they've seen on a field.

Would be great if somone could shed light on what they are actually talking about.

Didn't even know Wines had gone off let alone what caused it.
The second the incident happened I saw Wines grab his wrist...

All I could see from replays were both sets of arms locked together, then Ollies hand snapped back. It looked like his hand/wrist was in an accidental lock, not malicious at all.

I've seen broken wrists before and they swell up quickly. There was a shot of Wines before he left in the Ambulance and the wrist didn't look swollen, at best it's a sprain but I think, especially the way Ken spoke, it's a fracture which will sideline him for weeks.

Last edited:
yDWwzV.gif

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

The most pleasing thing about this game was that we were challenged in every quarter and falling behind only to then having to claw our back. We kept our nerve at critical times and stood tall.

Its good to see the Never Give Up attitude and putting some bodies on the line. WE hunted the ball and player tonight.

My best tonight

Hombsch, Ryder, Hartlett, Jasper, White, Mitchell, Schulz, Ebert, Gray, Broady

I'm generally negative on Mitchell. But he played a part tonight. They can't all be Robbie grey. Also special mention to young, another who is yet to win me over, but too a big step tonight. Unfortunately I'm still not sold on Monfries.

On a quick sidenote..
Hot ******* tip to Thompson - what Schulz did to you is the oldest trick in the forwards book. He managed to pull it off more than once. Umpires always rule in the forwards favor in those situations and it didn't just happen against North - it happened against us a couple of times, except it wasn't the same ******* player time and time again. How on earth did he not get this after the first time it occurred? s**t defender.

Also with a twist that surprises no-one - Lindsay Thomas with more frees than Schulz. The win over North tonight is so much more satisfying because of how massive the bitch fit from the North fans is and how they were 'robbed'. The tears are absolutely delicious.

Don't know what goes through Chad Wingards mind sometimes. Takes a mark and handballs to Angus.
Just go back and take your kick for goal.
It was amazing the way he got around the point post and handed it off.
I am going to have a closer look at that effort by Angus as it looks as if it hit his left foot (after hitting the roos player) just as it was crossing the goal line?? I only saw the replay once so didn't get a good look.

I would like to evoke the words of John McEnroe here. You cannot be serious.

Going to start off with the negatives:

1. Supposed supporters who can't handle Kane Mitchell. Some serious mouthbreathing particularly early on in this thread. What would you rather, him play poorly and we lose so you can justify your bitterness? I'll now quote Maradona: 'You can suck it and keep sucking it'.

It doesn't give him a free run in the side and I expect he'll continue to be in and out of the side and called upon when necessary. He damn well gives his all though and has made significant improvements to his game since coming to the club in 2013. If he's good enough for Hinkley and the leadership group to have his back, I'm pretty bloody sure he's good enough for you.

2. What is it about Angus Monfries that has made his presence at the club so hard for some to accept? See so much crap hung on him from some usually very thoughtful posters. Is it some kind of inbuilt defence mechanism that protected you from claiming him as a Port footballer because you had emotionally invested in seeing the Essendon players banned? That's what I suspect, because there is absolutely no reason not to love the guy for his efforts for this great club. He's stood up time and time again for us in his three years here and if we were to have a finals MVP since being relevant in that part of the year again, he'd be bloody close to it. But I keep hearing he's slow, lazy, plays for free kicks...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back