VFL VFL Round 1 - Sandringham v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks, hopefully he gets a chance to pay seniors again this year. Maybe they could reinvent him. I like his mettle...

With Simpkin........ can not and will not make the grade IMHO been in system a while

Too slow
Ordinary kick

I doubt the club would have given Lee a 2 year deal if they thought he was a spud.

How about we give him an injury free season to prove his worth?
I'd prefer to judge him by round 3.

I doubt the club would have given Lee a 2 year deal if they thought he was a spud.

Pelchen did, right before he skedaddled.

He had an obsession with 2 year contracts.

This just a casual ob, not so much about Tom.

Well don't take my word for it. (edit - note earlier posting by dewah)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=XrFbiuXsgno&app=desktop

Without wanting to be a tool about it (albeit sometimes this comes naturally), this is the sort of stuff that can be sourced AND SHARED by anyone - along with:

http://m.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/zebras-win-onepoint-thriller-against-essendon-20150419-1mof7m.html

"Sandy, with the breeze at their back, showed enormous resilience to hit back hard when it mattered most. Mitch Brown, an ex-Cat and temporary Bomber over the off-season, kicked his fourth and soon after Darren Minchington's booming kick reduced the margin to a goal.

Sandringham's come-from-behind victory seemed a fait accompli given the momentum shift strongly created by Tom Lee's superb drive from defence and Clint Jones' usual hard work in the clinches."

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-04-19/zebras-triumph-in-a-thriller

"It was a great win for the boys," Hudson told SAINTS.com.au.

"I was so pleased we were able to hold them up defensively towards the end and grind out the win in challenging conditions.

"Tom Lee was terrific down back, as was Hugh Goddard who had pushed through a bout of gastro. That just shows the character of a young man in his first year of senior football."

http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=360

After falling behind further early in the last, Sandringham again clawed their way back into the contest. They hit the lead as the game ticked into time on when Zijai snapped around the body for a goal.

After holding out an Essendon bombardment, Zijai stepped up again, winning a dropping the ball decision just seconds before the siren to set up a game-winning shot.

Clinton Jones was sensational in midfield, collecting 25 touches and laying nine tackles. Darren Minchington (19 touches, eight tackles and a goal), Josh Saunders (21 touches) off halfback and Yllber Zijai (15 touches, eight tackles and a goal) were among a chorus of Zebra players who helped claw back the margin.

Mitch Brown was a stand out on debut, kicking four goals and clunking eight marks.

Tom Lee continued his impressive development as a key defender, beating his opponent and failing to concede a contested mark.

And Paul Hudson's usually superb player reviews.

If people make just a little effort in this regard for the benefit of others, and give the silly s**t on the board a rest, then others might be encouraged.

edit (again) - I'd post the Daily Filth report, but this is so biased towards the bummers (it's like they are trying to make up with them of late with complete puff - I'd call it the Daily Bummer but possibly this name is already taken) it's not worth reading including how great their players were, how it was only Essendon's mistakes that let Sandringham back into the game (errr ... the gale-force wind???). And how "much-hyped St Kilda-listed forward Spencer White kicked a contentious goal" (forgetting that there was an apparent touched ball given a goal to the bummers earlier in the game). And this gem "Former Essendon NAB Challenge top-up player Mitch Brown was the standout for the home side".
tumblr_m6kkirTTUK1rtu3xyo1_500.gif

Payne didn't get heaps of it, but tends to use it pretty well by foo when he gets it. What I do notice is that he is very mobile. Not tall, or imposing, but moves across the field very very well and has a leap on him. I like him, I'm not sure where he fits going forward, whether it's a Gilbert type running tall defender, or whether its a roaming type Jack Gunstan medium forward.

He is a fair way away from knocking down the door, but if things go right for him there is every chance of him being a decent player for us in the years ahead.

A club should have players at different development stages so happy to have Payne on for a couple of years on the rookie list (assuming he takes the required steps fwd in his own development)

Well don't take my word for it. (edit - note earlier posting by dewah)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=XrFbiuXsgno&app=desktop

Without wanting to be a tool about it (albeit sometimes this comes naturally), this is the sort of stuff that can be sourced AND SHARED by anyone - along with:

http://m.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/zebras-win-onepoint-thriller-against-essendon-20150419-1mof7m.html

"Sandy, with the breeze at their back, showed enormous resilience to hit back hard when it mattered most. Mitch Brown, an ex-Cat and temporary Bomber over the off-season, kicked his fourth and soon after Darren Minchington's booming kick reduced the margin to a goal.

Sandringham's come-from-behind victory seemed a fait accompli given the momentum shift strongly created by Tom Lee's superb drive from defence and Clint Jones' usual hard work in the clinches."

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-04-19/zebras-triumph-in-a-thriller

"It was a great win for the boys," Hudson told SAINTS.com.au.

"I was so pleased we were able to hold them up defensively towards the end and grind out the win in challenging conditions.

"Tom Lee was terrific down back, as was Hugh Goddard who had pushed through a bout of gastro. That just shows the character of a young man in his first year of senior football."

http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=360

After falling behind further early in the last, Sandringham again clawed their way back into the contest. They hit the lead as the game ticked into time on when Zijai snapped around the body for a goal.

After holding out an Essendon bombardment, Zijai stepped up again, winning a dropping the ball decision just seconds before the siren to set up a game-winning shot.

Clinton Jones was sensational in midfield, collecting 25 touches and laying nine tackles. Darren Minchington (19 touches, eight tackles and a goal), Josh Saunders (21 touches) off halfback and Yllber Zijai (15 touches, eight tackles and a goal) were among a chorus of Zebra players who helped claw back the margin.

Mitch Brown was a stand out on debut, kicking four goals and clunking eight marks.

Tom Lee continued his impressive development as a key defender, beating his opponent and failing to concede a contested mark.

And Paul Hudson's usually superb player reviews.

If people make just a little effort in this regard for the benefit of others, and give the silly s**t on the board a rest, then others might be encouraged.

edit (again) - I'd post the Daily Filth report, but this is so biased towards the bummers (it's like they are trying to make up with them of late with complete puff - I'd call it the Daily Bummer but possibly this name is already taken) it's not worth reading including how great their players were, how it was only Essendon's mistakes that let Sandringham back into the game (errr ... the gale-force wind???). And how "much-hyped St Kilda-listed forward Spencer White kicked a contentious goal" (forgetting that there was an apparent touched ball given a goal to the bummers earlier in the game). And this gem "Former Essendon NAB Challenge top-up player Mitch Brown was the standout for the home side".

Great to see you back here posting Squizzy! :)

With Simpkin........ can not and will not make the grade IMHO been in system a while

Too slow
Ordinary kick

I prefer to look at it as the wrong era for Tommy. He is the old fashioned crash and bash defender - late 80's early 90's he would have been one of the best.

I like Tommy a lot - I like his hardness, I like his effort. he always gives 100% and you can't fault him for that (before you say anything I know you aren't saying that I'm just explaining why I like him :))

Unfortunately all I can see is that he is a backup but as we recruit newer and newer players he is slipping further and further down the pecking order :(:(

A club should have players at different development stages so happy to have Payne on for a couple of years on the rookie list (assuming he takes the required steps fwd in his own development)
Good point:thumbsu:
Its amazing how much times have changed. Dipper played nearly 100 games for the Hawks reserves before he got a regular senior game.
Nowdays if you havnt made it within 2 yrs your a spud apparently .

All he can do is play well in the VFl and he is......hopefully he can continue to do so as again it would be very beneficial to have a defender who can switch to the fwd line, (as it is with Bruce going the other way)!!

Good point:thumbsu:
Its amazing how much times have changed. Dipper played nearly 100 games for the Hawks reserves before he got a regular senior game.
Nowdays if you havnt made it within 2 yrs your a spud apparently .

That's why I don't mind Lewis Pierce, Holmes, Payne, Spencer White who are all longer term players.....the only question is for some of them how long?

By the time Fisher and Dempster are finished Hugh Goddard will be ready to assume the mantle of a key defender with Delaney, (it also highlights the need for another key defender IMO be it an 18 yo or even a slightly more developed 21/22 year old). I'm sure this is stuff that our list management looks at....succession plans and all that...

Or maybe Lee won't make it, it's happened once before.

Hope he does mind you, but it's looking like Bruce has his spot for now.

There is a good chance Lee wont make it.
We all know that.
But lets find out.

I'd like to see a 2016 defence of:

Lee Delaney Savage
Webster Gilbo Newnes

but heck - I think we all know the midfield is our really serious area of concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I prefer to look at it as the wrong era for Tommy. He is the old fashioned crash and bash defender - late 80's early 90's he would have been one of the best.

I like Tommy a lot - I like his hardness, I like his effort. he always gives 100% and you can't fault him for that (before you say anything I know you aren't saying that I'm just explaining why I like him :))

Unfortunately all I can see is that he is a backup but as we recruit newer and newer players he is slipping further and further down the pecking order :(:(

A lot of people liked him back a couple of years ago.

It's odd they kept him on though as it does feel like his papers are stamped. I feel they wasted a spot (if he's just not in the plans). Interesting to see little McGrath who we were into looking quite handy at the Lions. Maybe we should have kept a very late pick. Anyway, done is done.

That's why I don't mind Lewis Pierce, Holmes, Payne, Spencer White who are all longer term players.....the only question is for some of them how long?

By the time Fisher and Dempster are finished Hugh Goddard will be ready to assume the mantle of a key defender with Delaney, (it also highlights the need for another key defender IMO be it an 18 yo or even a slightly more developed 21/22 year old). I'm sure this is stuff that our list management looks at....succession plans and all that...
Agree re the 4 in development. They get a fair bit of time in my book. I'd be more inclined to move on those mid sizers that have been around a few years that lack a bit of top end skill.

We do need to make a bit of room again this year. Not the time for us to be making minimal list changes.

Agree re the 4 in development. They get a fair bit of time in my book. I'd be more inclined to move on those mid sizers that have been around a few years that lack a bit of top end skill.

We do need to make a bit of room again this year. Not the time for us to be making minimal list changes.

Yes agreed. In our current situation you would expect to see a minimum of 5 changes, (I expect there would be more), at the end of the year. Anyway maybe a bit too early to raise that - another 6 months to go before we need to discuss that :)

A lot of people liked him back a couple of years ago.

It's odd they kept him on though as it does feel like his papers are stamped. I feel they wasted a spot (if he's just not in the plans). Interesting to see little McGrath who we were into looking quite handy at the Lions. Maybe we should have kept a very late pick. Anyway, done is done.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

I am not convinced he is AFL KPP size at all... Not tall or strong enough....And yes I've seen him in the ruck in the VFL getting flogged by russell gabriel
I would say he was put there to support and get into the game... He played some minutes vs Footscray too
He's an average VFL player IMO. He has not been good enough forward... Just not enough football... That's why he's gone back

Roo last year stated he was 2 inches shorter than buddy who he said was 6'6
He is listed 193 which is 6'4"
Roo, Spencer and Paddy are KPP

Lee is Gunston without the ability.

I am not convinced he is AFL KPP size at all... Not tall or strong enough....And yes I've seen him in the ruck in the VFL getting flogged by russell gabriel
I would say he was put there to support and get into the game... He played some minutes vs Footscray too
He's an average VFL player IMO. He has not been good enough forward... Just not enough football... That's why he's gone back

I assume you've seen Spencer, Roo and Paddy in person standing next to each other. How would you compare their heights against each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's about as reliable as people guessing heights from photos.

I've seen all of them in the same goal square 10m away... Against PM 2 weeks ago

I'll tell you what

I look at Paddy and say... He's a big kid
I look at Spencer and Roo and think... Their pretty athetic and tall
I look at Simpkin and think ... Solid but not tall
Roberton, Gilbert and Lee are tallish 6"3' (191) or maybe just over... Between 90-95kg... Not big me by any means

Compare this to the massive 195-200 and 100-105kg power fwds in the AFL

It's only my opinion... But if Tom was of quality ... At 24 he'd be consistently performing better

Was VG Sunday
Terrible in the 2 previous games

Problem is that back in those days, every club had a reserves team and anywhere up to 50 players on their list. Can't do that anymore and even with a stand alone VFL side, you don't get draft dibs on any player. That's why you probably don't see players on a list more than 3 to 4 years unless they are able to crack the seniors.

That said, does anyone know if having your own VFL side lets you have a longer senior list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back