Steven Trigg- Most Incompetent Administrator in AFL??

Remove this Banner Ad

Porked04

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is Steven Trigg the most incompetent club administrator ever in the AFL's modern history (from say 1987-)?? The guys is an arrogant smug Tom Bellend who continues to stuff up every time he speaks to the media and every decision he makes off the field. I cannot genuinely think of one single good decision he has made in his tenure at either the Crows or Blues that has benefited the club.

It astounds me that a proud and powerful club like Carlton would employ such an incompetent fool with no track record of off-field success. Surely the way he stuffed things up at Adelaide would've set warning signs off at Carlton.

• Banned
I am not aware of his incompetence as such, what are some examples at Adelaide and early on at the Blues that he messes things up off the field?
At Adelaide
- The way in which he handled the Matt Rendell situation at the Crows
- The way he would use bizarre statistics such as 'more hits on the website' to demonstrate Adelaide's off-field success when important KPI's for off-field success such as crowd numbers and memberships were declining
- His unprofessionalism in claiming Port Adelaide was an embarrassment to SA footy
- His reluctance to move to Adelaide Oval
- His handling of the Tippett affair right through the saga, from being aware of the deal and initially denying. This cost the club draft sanctions and got the club massively off-side with AFL House. He was suspended for this (any CEO with any decency would have showed dignity and resigned following this)
- Re-signing Sando when he was sacked a year later

At Carlton
- Not aware of any major examples but listening to him in the media, he presents an incredibly mixed message. First denies the club are rebuilding, then states that they are. Then comes out yesterday and questions Mick's age. Retracts these comments later on SEN.

The guy continues to stuff up everytime he opens his mouth. The majority of Crows supporters loath him, and given his record at the Crows, it is bizarre that he would be employed there

Trigg has been the best thing for Carlton in decades. Completely turned the club around. Our club actually looks like they have a future thanks to Trigg.
The good things he's done at Carlton significantly outweigh the bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At Adelaide
- The way in which he handled the Matt Rendell situation at the Crows

Agreed.

- The way he would use bizarre statistics such as 'more hits on the website' to demonstrate Adelaide's off-field success when important KPI's for off-field success such as crowd numbers and memberships were declining

Well, those numbers were still very strong, even in our bad years. Declining sponsor income is a better point, though it was still vastly better than Port in that period.

- His unprofessionalism in claiming Port Adelaide was an embarrassment to SA footy

He represents Crows supporters and we would have all agreed. He should have been harder ...

- His reluctance to move to Adelaide Oval

Terrible point. He was the only one pointing out that the clubs were getting a bad deal, but Port were so desperate to say yes that a deal was rushed and took another year to actually get right.

- His handling of the Tippett affair right through the saga, from being aware of the deal and initially denying. This cost the club draft sanctions and got the club massively off-side with AFL House. He was suspended for this (any CEO with any decency would have showed dignity and resigned following this)

Very true. Should have been sacked and will always be suspicious that he wasn't.

- Re-signing Sando when he was sacked a year later

True as well. Madness.

At Carlton
- Not aware of any major examples.

But of a pointless thread, then??

Trigg has been the best thing for Carlton in decades. Completely turned the club around. Our club actually looks like they have a future thanks to Trigg.

outside looking in, he has taken the club backwards.

Weren't Carlton turning a profit before he showed up? Has this guy ever run a club that turned a profit? A financial powerhouse on paper like Adelaide in his control and he still managed to lose money.

Probably up there with Schwabby for the worst guy in the business.

As Gordon Gekko would say - if this guy ran a funeral parlor nobody would die.

outside looking in, he has taken the club backwards.

Weren't Carlton turning a profit before he showed up? Has this guy ever run a club that turned a profit? A financial powerhouse on paper like Adelaide in his control and he still managed to lose money.

Probably up there with Schwabby for the worst guy in the business.

As Gordon Gekko would say - if this guy ran a funeral parlor nobody would die.

You realise he only started at Carlton in August last year don't you? Bit hard to judge the profitability of the club under his tenure. The club has been pretty much alternating profit/loss for the last few years.

Is Steven Trigg the most incompetent club administrator ever in the AFL's modern history (from say 1987-)??
No.

I would nominate the incompetent fools who worked at Hawthorn from 1994 to 1996, whose answer for our sudden spiralling debts was to be seduced by the AFL's multi-million dollar incentives to merge with Melbourne.

If you were working in that situation, wouldn't you just put your hand up, admit you were out of your depth, concede you no answers and just hand in your resignation? What would possess a person to just give up on the club without first consulting with the members and supporters? And then to engage in clandestine talks with a rival club, and also allow themselves to be led down the garden path by the AFL and instruct the players to keep out of it and not say anything to the media.

Unbelievable. I still can't believe it actually went to a vote. What a bunch of monkeys.

People have often sledged Hawk fans over our "near" merger with Melbourne, but it was never going to happen. The members would NEVER allow such a travesty. Even with the AFL's dirty tricks, the intense media campaign and the fake proxy votes, the vote was a resounding NO.

All that really happened was that (for a short time there) we had the shittest administration in the history of world sport, we were broke and the desperate Dees saw a chance to broker a merger which they'd been trying on at various times with other clubs from 1985 to 1996.

I don't hold it against any of the individuals at Hawthorn - they were just old, simple-minded, a bit useless and a bit gullible. My anger was always directed at the AFL who took advantage of that situation to make their merger fantasies come true and just did not give two shits about the hundreds of thousands of Hawthorn fans.

Admittedly, the complacent Hawk fans needed a wake up call. Few of us had any idea of the trouble the club was in. I came back from overseas and spat my coffee all over my newspaper when I first read about it. But all's well that ends well: the 1996 merger bullshit was a watershed moment for the club. Since then, we've gone from strength to strength.

Last edited:
Without knowing the full details regarding Rendell I'm not exactly sure you can totally blame Trigg on that, I've no idea what the often touted excuse of "there was a list of things that Matt had done previously" is all about but the main reason I see his sacking was that Demitriou was out for blood and nothing was going to dissuade him from burning Rendell. While Trigg could've been stronger in standing up for Rendell when Vlad wants blood he usually gets blood.

Omfg how many Blues threads do we need?

The main board has been bombarded with 50 new Carlton threads a day. FFS get over it

Absolutely correct - and an Abbott/Hockey government is best for our future; Andrew Bolt is the finest independent journalist in the world, Rupert Murdoch is a great Australian and Ivan Milat should be Australian of the Year.

Trigg has engaged the fans a lot better than what Greg Swan ever did in his time at Carlton. I feel like I know a lot more what is happening at the club.
On that alone I have him ahead of Greg Swan.

Pretty good engagement, if he was honest - "we're old, no heart, coach from Jurassic Park and we have no idea how to get out of this predicament".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back