Mega Thread The Footy Dept Thread Part I - #SackHardwick or #StandByDimma?

Should he go?

• See out his contract

Votes: 44 15.0%
  • See out the year

Votes: 130 44.2%
  • See out the day

Votes: 93 31.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 27 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its De Ja Vu from 2014 tracking exactly the same no Lids = no Richmond, and i honestly thought we would be 4-0 at this stage , now we are hearing the same spin "we just have to get better" if he says that one more time i will spew up.
I remember hearing wallace's presse conferences towards the end and feeling ill... I'm beginning to feel the same with dimma's. That "we can beat anyone on our day" was very amateurish and sounded like the 15 year old kid getting baited and biting back.

I remember hearing wallace's presse conferences towards the end and feeling ill... I'm beginning to feel the same with dimma's. That "we can beat anyone on our day" was very amateurish and sounded like the 15 year old kid getting baited and biting back.

I nearly spat my coffee out when i heard that .

It is interesting our perspective compared to others like Geelong supporters. Some of them are quite content to accept they will not make the 8.

We seem hesitant to entertain the possibility we may not make the 8 yet Geelong were a lot stronger in the 8 last year but in a downward trajectory while we are on an upward trajectory but the draw and performance of the opposition have a bigger bearing in the short term on any success. Despite the barriers and new obstacles, unlike Geelong supporters, we seem to ignore any threat to the ideal scenario of a rocket fuelled surge into the 8.

I would hate to think the expectations of some Richmond supporters if we actually did stumble across a truely great list for our club!
Reckon the upward trajectory may be flattening out...that's why what Dimma achieves this year will seal his fate
Finals and win one...safe
No finals...not good

I like hardwick, I think he has done an excellent job getting us to this point but i don't feel like he is the coach to take us to a premiership. He doesn't seem angry or ruthless enough. Look at most of the successful coaches over the last few years and they are always yelling and screaming and passionate about what's happening on the field. i.e clarkson, Lyon, chris scott. Hardwick just seems to sit in the box with his hands on his head shaking it in disbelief.
he is angry and its poorly controlled.Top coaches don't need to be angry to lead players.They get it by first by earning respect from the players.
DH is just a buddy patting the boys on the bum or giving them light hugs or protecting them from the likes of Vince or McCaffer.
No hate for the opposition or mongrel,thats where real love for the club for and players comes from with always willing to teach the boys to be united and defend and lookout for each other.
When Selwood picked up Newman and dropped him on his head in 2012.TV put up a weak fight while close by Lids and Cotchin quietly snuck off as if nothing had happened. Dimma cried about it later on and guess what we are still being pushed around with no leadership

Last edited:
Anyone else listen to the superfooty podcast? Mick warner was saying around the league rival clubs know if you shut down our 3 best players you win the game. Was also toled by a rival Victorian clubs analyst that richmond is the easiest team to plan against. Not a great rep to have
my point above

Anyone else listen to the superfooty podcast? Mick warner was saying around the league rival clubs know if you shut down our 3 best players you win the game. Was also toled by a rival Victorian clubs analyst that richmond is the easiest team to plan against. Not a great rep to have

It's time to make a change.

Will only occur when new coach comes in with new thinking.

Do I want Hardwick sacked right now? No I don't. You don't sack a coach this early in the year unless they have royally stuffed up, i.e. engaged in Wayne Carey type behavior or has lost all 4 games by 20+ goals.

Hardwick has done neither of these things to my knowledge so he continues, however the next 6 weeks are massive. If we go 0-6, 1-5 or-2-4 during the this time then questions must be asked about whether Hardwick is in fact the man to take us to where we all want to see the club get to. He might not be and that is nothing to be ashamed of, plenty of other coaches have gone to clubs with the expectation that they would take them to the promised land and failed. Some of these coaches are much more highly regarded than Hardwick ever will be. Others weren't as good as they thought they were and were quickly found out and spat out the other side.

The fact is Hardwick is responsible for Richmond once again finding itself back among the leagues better teams, we're not the powerhouse on field side like a Hawthorn or Sydney or Fremantle are, but we're strong off field with upgraded facilities, improved membership/profits/crowds. So maybe just maybe this is the best that Hardwick can do, take the club as far as he has, but when it comes to taking the final couple of steps it's just that little bit too far to go.

Then again maybe what Hardwick needs to do is, as I suggested in a couple of other posts, go back to basics with regards to the way we structure up and play the game and let these players that he says can coach themselves play. In the meantime coach those that aren't that naturally talented so that they can assist the stars in winning games. Let some of the emotion back into the team as it seems to me that our list plays better when it rides the wave of excitement.

As far as his coaching career goes, as I said above if we don't win at least 3 of the next 6 games and hit the bye with a 5-5 record, it might just be time for the club to take a look at whether Hardwick is the man. But what happens if we go 4-2, 5-1 or an unlikely 6-0. What happens to all the Hardwick can't coach comments? Do they suddenly become irrelevant, do we go down the path of saying well he got lucky and start the quest to change coaches. Personally if Hardwick can win 4, 5 or 6 of the next 6 games then he deserves to see out his contract, which is until the end of 2016. As I posted before the start of the season, this year was going to be a year of change as we looked to rejig the side in an attempt to take the next steps in our chase for a flag. Winning 4, 5 or 6 games with a relatively inexperienced side taking the field will show me that Hardwick can in fact coach.

Some might say that is sitting on the fence and I'm hedging my bets. Well a coach that took us from the mess that we were 2009-early 2010 to a back to back finals side in 2013-2014 deserves more than a couple of abysmal performances before we make the decision to remove him. Once again the next 6 weeks are massive.

This right here should be the most damning thing the club has heard all year and be a nail in Dimma's coffin

Oh boy, that's not good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he is angry and its poorly controlled.Top coaches don't need to be angry to lead players.They get it by first by earning respect from the players.

I'd argue the opposite here, I think Dimma doesn't spray them enough. You look at Longmire, Lyon and Clarkson, they're always barking orders down the phone. Even Buckley does it. Hardwick just furrows his brow and turns red. He may get angry but he does not direct it at the players when the heat is on.

DH is just a buddy patting the boys on the bum or giving them light hugs or protecting them from the likes of Vince or McCaffer.
No hate for the opposition or mongrel,thats where real love for the club for and players comes from with always willing to teach the boys to be united and defend and lookout for each other.
When Selwood picked up Newman and dropped him on his head in 2012.TV put up a weak fight while close by Lids and Cotchin quietly snuck off as if nothing had happened. Dimma cried about it later on and guess what we are still being pushed around with no leadership
There were a few dustups on Friday night and plenty of the players got involved, I don't know what you were watching. Cotchin got decent protection, I thought. Much better than last year against McCaffer.

The problem was Hardwick was so focused on nullifying the impact of Cotchin being scragged by Vince that he didn't know what to do when Vince was hurting us badly the other way. When we got first usage we were so worried about that pressure that we turned it over. From there Melbourne figured us out easily, grew in confidence and garnered an easy win.

That has been the case for a while now and why it is so important that mid tier players need to step up when the 3 stars are being well held. Unfortunately it doesn't happen often enough unless we're playing a side that offers next to no pressure.

I'd argue the opposite here, I think Dimma doesn't spray them enough. You look at Longmire, Lyon and Clarkson, they're always barking orders down the phone. Even Buckley does it. Hardwick just furrows his brow and turns red. He may get angry but he does not direct it at the players when the heat is on.

There were a few dustups on Friday night and plenty of the players got involved, I don't know what you were watching. Cotchin got decent protection, I thought. Much better than last year against McCaffer.

The problem was Hardwick was so focused on nullifying the impact of Cotchin being scragged by Vince that he didn't know what to do when Vince was hurting us badly the other way. When we got first usage we were so worried about that pressure that we turned it over. From there Melbourne figured us out easily, grew in confidence and garnered an easy win.
your last sentence sums it up as we went to water with the heat up
secondly a dust up is not picking up an ex captain and dropping him on the head
Those dust ups were schoolboy stuff.
Notice how no one went to Jones???Drop their leader on his arse as the team lifts

I call bullshit on Mick. Round one we had the big three shut out and we still won by 5 goals.

By the way, you could say pretty much about any team that if you shut out their best three players you are likely to win.

Also, BS about being the easiest to plan against. Brisbane, Carlton, Gold coast are all awful. There are plenty more too.

I know that's not exactly the company we want to keep and we aren't going great- but the way people are carrying on you'd think we'd be dead last!

That's because we have plan A and nothing else

I know it's only four games in but when you consider a team that finished 14th last year, lost its captain, it's coach and a Brownlow medalist in the off season then loses its best or near enough to it midfielder before R1 you could say this team is going to struggle. Quite the opposite though thus far. Now natural progression will get you so far but it's the B & C graders that are all doing their role that is getting the results. A newby coach has come in and set a plan that his players can execute and they are. Hardwick could do far worse than adopt a similar philosophy with his players.

That's because we have plan A and nothing else
No need having a handful of game plans if the players can't execute them. Pretty much what Jack said last year when we were 2&6. The coach scolded him for saying such but our style changed pretty soon after that. Next thing we had won 9 in a row and playing in an elimination final.

Our game plan even if it's just plan A needs to compliment our players style and abilities. Tall forwards = get it in quick. Instead we play slow moving over possession footy and wonder why Jack & co are surrounded by defenders when someone goes to pull the trigger.

If we sacked Hardwick tomorrow I have no doubt the new coach would turn us around pretty quick by implementing a style conducive to our players not the other way around.

If you want a change ,email / ring the club / even go into the club,state your point ,dont be keyboard jockeys on here and whinge ,have some courage!
Successful teams ie Hawthorn are building there membership base due to success,can we continue to do this??
Im not sure sacking hardwick is good,who will replace him, will we lose players due to it,I think we are stretching our membership base.

Its great to have a platform like this,it shows people are concerned,but funnel it ,in the right direction .

Same people who ignore the fact what the list was like on Dimma's arrival and how slow the rebuild has been due to the Suns and GWS coming into the comp therefore MASSIVELY affecting our ability too rebuild quickly enough.
But hey lets go with the easy he's after a contract extention theory instead.lol

How exhausting it is to see this old chestnut pulled out as the perennial Richmond excuse to rebuild time and time again.

Frawley we were told needed 5 years to rebuild given the state of the list he inherited.

Then Wallace needed a 5 year rebuild because of the state of the list after Frawley's 5 year rebuild.

Now Hardwick needed 5 years to rebuild because of the state of the list Wallace left him after his 5 year rebuild.

And in 5 years time you'll be back in here saying that the next coach inherited a poor list from Hardwick.

Sounds right though.

How exhausting it is to see this old chestnut pulled out as the perennial Richmond excuse to rebuild time and time again.

Frawley we were told needed 5 years to rebuild given the state of the list he inherited.

Then Wallace needed a 5 year rebuild because of the state of the list after Frawley's 5 year rebuild.

Now Hardwick needed 5 years to rebuild because of the state of the list Wallace left him after his 5 year rebuild.

And in 5 years time you'll be back in here saying that the next coach inherited a poor list from Hardwick.
The list at the moment although not great is much much better than what Wallace and Hardwick inherited. Frawley got a decentish list up in 2001. Problem was the club got to liking the taste of their own bath water and thought the list was way better than what it really was.

I always saw Frawley as a great inspiration coach who was tactically limited and Wallace as a decent tactical coach that (along with thinking he and Miller were the second coming) never really had the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back