Scandal Alastair Clarkson whacking port fan

Remove this Banner Ad

There could not be a better video to describe what happened, and what happens in households every night across the country.

People are provoked and irritated ALL the time at home, does that mean a husband can whack or push his wife. NO way, what happened to Australia says no.
But Clarkson is footy royalty. He should not have to show any restraint if the great unwashed jeer him!

You've acted like a troll in the face of reasonable responses (you only need to read about 3 posts up for another one) and thus been treated like one.

Let's not pretend it's anything else.

I've lost count of the number of times I've countered your rubbish and you still come back with this jibberish. Seriously, card yourself.

When you stoop to this level, what chance has the thread ever got?
Don't hit me!

Don't hit me!

Again. Losing count now..........

You've acted like a troll in the face of reasonable responses (you only need to read about 3 posts up for another one) and thus been treated like one.

Let's not pretend it's anything else.

How many chances would someone else get I wonder. You're a credit to the site.

We are all animals and act according to our mammilian brain. If we repress that reflex action we become the pathetic anxious depressed society we are today, scared of our own shadows. Where men are becoming less man and more confused, like this thread :confused:

You're saying that the drunken flogs behaviour needs to be tolerated? I say NO, lets make drunken deadbeat behaviour unacceptable. Locking them up for a night may help. Although there was a lot made of deaths in custody for this type of issue in the indigenous population back in the 80s and 90s - perhaps this is why police are reluctant to act.

When did I say anything remotely resembling that? Do I need to use shorter words?

My position is quite simple. That the response to socially unacceptable behaviour should never be escalation into a higher degree of socially unacceptable behaviour.

High level sledging by a drunk is not acceptable, and I have in no way suggested it is. However. I fail to see how anyone who can be trusted to feed themselves without poking their own eye out with a fork can not comprehend that physical violence is a great big step above taunting. It is a great big step more unacceptable. It raises this situation from merely unpleasant to just one step away from a mass brawl in a public place and physical danger to everyone in the vicinity.

Especially when followed by running away. Especially when the running away option was clearly available without throwing the punch.

Clarkson was an angry little coward as a player and it appears that despite all the chances he's had over the years, all the pretend remorse - he still is an angry little coward.

I think it's funny that it's normally the "Think of the children" politically correct and sjw crowd and media saying you can't hit someone but in this instance it's reversed. All the sheep say "ah he was a drunk he deserved it". If you think you would get the same protection and green light clarkson has got to crack obnoxious drunks you are kidding yourselves.

You've acted like a troll in the face of reasonable responses
Sorry, reasonable responses?

Calling what you can see on video a "push" is unreasonable.

Calling his actions justified is unreasonable.

Getting upset about someone not making every single post as serious as you think it should be is unreasonable.

I've lost count of the number of times I've countered your rubbish

"You are trolling! You've been sat on your arse! You're speaking gibberish! His players were waaaaaay on the other side of a window!" - Hardly decent counters at all.

I think what you're referring to is me deferring to a couple of people on a couple of points... when on closer inspection those counter-arguments don't really add up anyway. Had I gone back and looked more closely at the time, as I did later, I would have seen a few bluffs and favourable interpretations being touted as hard fact. I should have kept walking, instead I said fair play. To be fair, I felt threatened.

We all know Clarkson is an angry chappie. He made a mistake and has admitted as much but strangely is still calling "we felt threatened". I think people would respect him a lot more if he was honest about it and admitted he was just riled up, apologised and moved on.

Now we have the "real men hit, they don't put up with s**t" chanting and placard waving.

On this issue, you're now in a corner you probably won't ever leave no matter what the evidence.

Clarkson admitted he should have kept walking, but you're still waving that placard.

And here once again it comes back to it being about the man involved and not the circumstances.
OK you win. I will add a smilie every time I am injecting a little hyperbole.

Think: what if the guy fell over and hit his head. Clarkson would on bail awaiting a hearing right now.

Note the lack of smilie.

If anyone on their high horse here talking sh1t is a parent and let's their kids watch just about any "kids" movies these days that have ANY ounce of violence in them is kidding themselves and should exit thread immediately

If anyone on their high horse here talking sh1t is a parent and let's their kids watch just about any "kids" movies these days that have ANY ounce of violence in them is kidding themselves and should exit thread immediately
I don't see how that works.

You're assuming viewing violence automatically causes violence... which will lead to the kids growing up angry like Clarkson? Is that what you're saying?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's funny that it's normally the "Think of the children" politically correct and sjw crowd and media saying you can't hit someone but in this instance it's reversed. All the sheep say "ah he was a drunk he deserved it". If you think you would get the same protection and green light clarkson has got to crack obnoxious drunks you are kidding yourselves.
I think you will find it's been the opposite, he's been judged more harshly because of his role model status, but carry on anyway....

You watch a lot of "kids" movies do you?

Interestingly, with a few exceptions, there's a whole bunch of hawks supporters in this thread defending clarko, and a whole bunch of other supporters condemning.

Whatever you think about it, anyone using the "Clarko is an angry man" argument is completely projecting their own ignorance on the matter. Anyone who knows or has worked with Alistair will say the exact opposite. He is a great leader, approachable, nurturing and one of the reasons for his success has been the comfort that he creates for those he works with that procures a passionate loyalty. He is also a really happy character.

Yes he's had a few blow outs in the public domain, but having a short fuse at times does not constitute the "angry man" description in the slightest.

Nonetheless, being the most successful coach in the modern era is bound to mean the tall poppy sufferers / little fellas jump all over him, ala "Chief" and "laphroaig".

OK you win. I will add a smilie every time I am injecting a little hyperbole.

Think: what if the guy fell over and hit his head. Clarkson would on bail awaiting a hearing right now.

Note the lack of smilie.

Well that could've happened if Clarkson actually hit him hard with enough force to sit him on his arse, instead, as the meeja correctly report, it was only a forceful shove. It didn't even make him lose his balance.

What if the yobbo had a knife and Clarkson just kept walking singing Kumbaya, he might be in hospital right now.

Well that could've happened if Clarkson actually hit him hard with enough force to sit him on his arse, instead, as the meeja correctly report, it was only a forceful shove. It didn't even make him lose his balance.

What if the yobbo had a knife and Clarkson just kept walking singing Kumbaya, he might be in hospital right now.

Pretty much the way I see it, he's metres from the hotel door, takes the initiative and gives him a shove to put him on the backfoot incase he did something really stupid. Seemed a very calcualted move from Clarkson, who was just ensuring his own safety.

If someone or a group of people are following you and taunting you, including screaming in your face then you should have a right to physically respond.

You probably don't anymore in this time of craziness, but you should.

That is why I'm annoyed Clarko apologised and I'm also waiting for these flogs to be charged with DAD, entrapment and filming someone without their permission.

Interestingly, with a few exceptions, there's a whole bunch of hawks supporters in this thread defending clarko, and a whole bunch of other supporters condemning.

Whatever you think about it, anyone using the "Clarko is an angry man" argument is completely projecting their own ignorance on the matter. Anyone who knows or has worked with Alistair will say the exact opposite. He is a great leader, approachable, nurturing and one of the reasons for his success has been the comfort that he creates for those he works with that procures a passionate loyalty. He is also a really happy character.

Yes he's had a few blow outs in the public domain, but having a short fuse at times does not constitute the "angry man" description in the slightest.

Nonetheless, being the most successful coach in the modern era is bound to mean the tall poppy sufferers / little fellas jump all over him, ala "Chief" and "laphroaig".
He has a long long list of incidents.

I don't doubt he is a good man at heart, but no need to paper over this pretty obvious flaw. We all have them, but pretending they don't exist helps nobody.

Yes we hate Clarkson because he coaches a good team of players.

And we all have issues with Hird because of his success and good looks...

Wow, thread's still going.

I still find it amusing that people expect you to not respond angrily to a guy who is standing well within your personal bubble and literally screaming in your ear, after he'd already been pushed away.

Notice how he keeps screaming until Clarko takes a swing? Do you think this tossbag would have ceased had Clarko just ignored him? Do you know how bullies react to being ignored? They escalate their actions.

That's the point here. If someone gets in your face relentlessly and doesn't let up, how do you think you're going to react? I'd hazard a guess and say with a degree of extreme anger and annoyance. Keep in mind I'm not saying what he did was just, or that he should have "knocked the campaigner on his arse kljdklasdasd :mad::mad::mad:" (I did say this earlier in the thread but I was annoyed, sue me) but it's simply what happens in that kind of situation when you have a bloke looking for a fight. He was quite literally asking to be hit which is entirely the point that people are forgetting here. Why else would he have his camera phone out and gleefully alert the world that he got the footage he wanted? Use some common sense.

There's really no point in arguing though, because the people who say that his reaction was over the top or unnecessary are above human nature apparently. The dickhead was looking for a reaction, picked on an easy target and was not going to stop until he got what he was looking for.

He has a long long list of incidents...

In fairness his 'rap sheet' is ridiculous.

Who hasn't punched a wall once in their lives?
Telling a media personality he is a corkhead. Seriously how is that viewed as a negative.
The junior footy incident conveniently left out the other half of the story and Clarko never defended himself there.

He is an extremely high quality person and has a longer list of public people who have come out and shared their stories of how he has helped them, not as PR, as a quiet stranger.

Wow, thread's still going.

I still find it amusing that people expect you to not respond angrily to a guy who is standing well within your personal bubble and literally screaming in your ear, after he'd already been pushed away.

Notice how he keeps screaming until Clarko takes a swing? Do you think this tossbag would have ceased had Clarko just ignored him? Do you know how bullies react to being ignored? They escalate their actions.

That's the point here. If someone gets in your face relentlessly and doesn't let up, how do you think you're going to react? I'd hazard a guess and say with a degree of extreme anger and annoyance. Keep in mind I'm not saying what he did was just, or that he should have "knocked the campaigner on his arse kljdklasdasd :mad::mad::mad:" (I did say this earlier in the thread but I was annoyed, sue me) but it's simply what happens in that kind of situation when you have a bloke looking for a fight. He was quite literally asking to be hit which is entirely the point that people are forgetting here. Why else would he have his camera phone out and gleefully alert the world that he got the footage he wanted? Use some common sense.

There's really no point in arguing though, because the people who say that his reaction was over the top or unnecessary are above human nature apparently. The dickhead was looking for a reaction, picked on an easy target and was not going to stop until he got what he was looking for.
All a nice story, except the hotel door was 5m away.

And then yesterday we had a guy squaring up to Chris Judd and he managed to keep space between him and the aggressor before the public stepped in.

Clarkson snapped when he really didn't have to. The video and circumstances reported by the Hawthorn witnesses make it pretty obvious he had other options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back