Media alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be on the GC for weekend games, so my questions are: Qld gets all Lions/Suns games, right? ....but which free to air channel shows them?

Obviously not too fussed if I miss Suns, but I definitely want to see our game....cheers

Will be on the GC for weekend games, so my questions are: Qld gets all Lions/Suns games, right? ....but which free to air channel shows them?

Obviously not too fussed if I miss Suns, but I definitely want to see our game....cheers
7mate (73) shows all lions/suns games live

EDIT: Looks like GumbyRules beat me to the punch

I agree with just about everything in that article.

It's main point is that the net result of the enormous anguish that Fitzroy supporters have been through really doesn't seem to have been worth it.

Clearly 'Let’s get the Royboys back in town' is fantastical, although if someone wanted to seriously suggest it I'd be all for it. I reckon most Fitzroy fans would agree that it was better to be losing most weeks with a club we had a deep emotional connection to then to be occasionally successful with a club that might as well have been based in Brazil.

Sure Skoob , if the 2001-03 flags had resulted in a financially healthy, stable club with a culture of success, that would change things. But they didn't.

I reckon most Fitzroy fans would agree that it was better to be losing most weeks with a club we had a deep emotional connection to then to be occasionally successful with a club that might as well have been based in Brazil.

All this would do would make a bunch of Brisbane AFL fans pissed off in the same way Fitzroy people were/are.

Clubs fold all over the country in various sports. There are no Brisbane Bullets, no Gold Coast soccer club, no Norths Bears ARL club, no Illawarra Steelers, no South Melbourne, etc etc etc.

The ceiling of support up here is 2.5 million people. It's romantic as you say, Ironmonger, but it's an article that was clearly written to fire up emotions when we lost 5 in a row this year, but published more recently.

Melbourne is saturated for AFL teams.

All this would do would make a bunch of Brisbane AFL fans pissed off in the same way Fitzroy people were/are.

Clubs fold all over the country in various sports. There are no Brisbane Bullets, no Gold Coast soccer club, no Norths Bears ARL club, no Illawarra Steelers, no South Melbourne, etc etc etc.

The ceiling of support up here is 2.5 million people. It's romantic as you say, Ironmonger, but it's an article that was clearly written to fire up emotions when we lost 5 in a row this year, but published more recently.

Melbourne is saturated for AFL teams.

Hence why it's fantastical.

But it's a real shame that everyone wants to write this off as the work of a loony. It articulates many of the things I've felt over the past few years, and Cousin Jed, Crawb, and Size Matters rudely dismiss the whole thing out of hand.

Interesting resurrection of an old debate, but for those of us who were still following Fitzroy in its final moments, a very selective recollection by Mr Kerr. Ironically, of the players mentioned in the article, Paul,Roos, Gary Pert and Alistair Lynch had all left before The End. Add to that in preceding years players of the calibre of Doug Barwick, Paul Broderick, Richard Osborne, Warwick Irwin, Graeme Allan, Frank Marchesani, Tim Pekin and Grant Lawrie, many of whom simply saw the writing on the wall, and you see the seeds of the demise. Differing reasons you might say, but mostly financial including a period when players were not being paid. It is also a tad ironic that the biggest crowd at a Fitzroy game for many years was their second last game. It was a sad day and while some can and have moved on, others can't - no criticism intended Ironmonger if this describes you. I'm looking forward to a game in Melbourne on the weekend in which we have a realistic chance of a win.

Sorry, but that article is just an example of someone wallowing in self-pity, with any connection between the article's real premise and the Brisbane Lions being both tenuous and illogical. Just pathetic journalism....

Mate, if you don't like or support the Brisbane Lions, and you still feel miserable about Fitzroy's demise, I really couldn't give a *.

I agree. It is utterly embarrassing.

There is nothing wrong with missing Fitzroy; I can even let slide not coming on board with Brisbane (I would estimate about 1/3 of Fitzroy supporters never did). But linking that to Brisbane's current problems and fantasizing about the return of Fitzroy is something better left to posters on BigFooty, not for something that masquerades as a proper media article.

Mate, if you don't like or support the Brisbane Lions, and you still feel miserable about Fitzroy's demise, I really couldn't give a ****.

And again.

Not even the slightest bit of respect for what Fitzroy fans have been through.

Some posts get remembered after the discussion itself has been forgotten, Judge.

I'm done for now. Many of you need to think long and hard about how raw this still is for a lot of us and how you want to treat this issue.

And again.

Some posts get remembered after the discussion itself has been forgotten, Judge.

It's got nothing to do with the Fitzroy sentiment, it's the attempt to blame his apparent misery on the Brisbane Lions, and putting s**t on the club I support at the same time.

I totally respect and understand the loss that Fitzroy fans suffered/suffer, feel free to write about that, but don't disparage my club in the process.

I'm done for now. Many of you need to think long and hard about how raw this still is for a lot of us and how you want to treat this issue.

Fitzroy isn't coming back. There's no need for any more thought.

Hence why it's fantastical.

But it's a real shame that everyone wants to write this off as the work of a loony. It articulates many of the things I've felt over the past few years, and Cousin Jed, Crawb, and Size Matters rudely dismiss the whole thing out of hand.
Rudely? No, rightly.

Calling for the Brisbane Lions to be moved back to Victoria essentially "for the fans" (despite the fact such an action would deprive a much larger number of fans of a club to support) is utterly idiotic. Fitzroy people have it tough, no question - no one is denying that. Whilst the article may speak to what you have felt, the article is a joke because what is suggests is so ludicrous and the reason for such a proposal is utterly simplistic, flawed and irrational. End of.

Sure Skoob , if the 2001-03 flags had resulted in a financially healthy, stable club with a culture of success, that would change things. But they didn't.
I don't mean to belittle the woe of Fitzroy fans, what they have suffered is unfair.
Is the nett result of the merger better than what they had? Probably not, but the points raised are 19 years old. Brisbane, successful or not would not make anything okay for poor Jack.
He resents the AFL support being given to Brisbane, when not enough was done for Fitzroy, but the market and competition is 20 years down the track. The same rules don't apply, and as James North mentioned, Brisbane expansion v. Melbourne saturation is a major consideration.
Bring back Fitzroy because Brisbane is cash strapped and losing games? I think Jack needs to move on.

And again.

It's literally been almost two decades. Are you allowed to still feel deeply hurt? Yes. Is it raw? No.

I don't mean to belittle the woe of Fitzroy fans, what they have suffered is unfair.
Is the nett result of the merger better than what they had? Probably not, but the points raised are 19 years old. Brisbane, successful or not would not make anything okay for poor Jack.
He resents the AFL support being given to Brisbane, when not enough was done for Fitzroy, but the market and competition is 20 years down the track. The same rules don't apply, and as James North mentioned, Brisbane expansion v. Melbourne saturation is a major consideration.
Bring back Fitzroy because Brisbane is cash strapped and losing games? I think Jack needs to move on.

Yeah, there are far more realistic ways for the AFL to try to make up for how they treated Fitzroy and continue to treat Fitzroy supporters (although many of these even seem a long way off).
  • Saying sorry and owning up to how poorly they treated Fitzroy and its supporters
  • Guaranteeing Brisbane plays 6 games a year in Melbourne in perpetuity as per the merger agreement (i.e. ensuring it takes precedence over any other agreements that the AFL and other clubs have since signed)
  • Ensure Brisbane gets a bigger cut of Vic Lions membership revenue to enable our Vic memberships to be sold at a discounts as all Victorian clubs have always done
  • Support the Fitzroy museum at Etihad and potentially one day investing with governments to have it moved to the Brunswick St Oval
  • Financially support Fitzroy in the VAFA, potentially chipping in for any upgrades needed to Brunswick St Oval to allow to be maintained to a proper standard and potentially even to an AFL training standard for the Lions when they play in Melbourne
  • Perhaps eventually even one day financially supporting Fitzroy's return to the VFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back