Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a lot more behind the scenes at Collingwood than you know about. Don't you think it's funny that Malthouse still won't give Buckley the time of day? He didn't have a position at Collingwood, he had a contract, but no job.

Yes shows the whole thing was about MMs ego. He wanted to do a Howard & Costello and back out of a pre arranged deal to step down, but didnt get the backing of Buckley and Eddie.

Its also concerning that Bucks felt he needed to clear the decks of anyone who was stained by Malthouse and in his camp.. Will our senior players who like MM revolt against the new coach like they seemed to at Collingwood.

What a load of silly, revisionist nonsense.

And Mick wasn't responsible for Ratten getting the arse, even if MM wasn't available, Ratts was a dead man walking, he had lost the players quite clearly at the halfway point of his final season, he was always going to be fired by a trigger happy board.

At least he got to the half way point of the season DVB, MM seems to have lost them from game 1?

At least he got to the half way point of the season DVB, MM seems to have lost them from game 1?

Well that's subjective isn't it ? Besides our pre-season form was promising, so I don't think its just a case of Mick losing the players.

All we need is for one win (or at least an decent, honest performance against Geelong and all/or Sydney) for things to turn around, the morale at our club is disturbingly bad, and I am yet to be persuaded its because of Mick.

Goes back to the old argument DVB, it's easier to get rid of 1 coach than 40 odd players.

MM is going to have to find his magic wand to sort this out because at the moment the players may like him and respect him but their not showing it in any way, shape or form. We look like chooks without heads out on the field and being a football lover, I have to watch other teams on TV or my local comp to get a football fix, because what we are dishing up out on the field is not football.

I watched my local team play last week against a well drilled amateur side and they copped a bit of a touch up, but I still enjoyed the game as they fought out the contest til the end. Watching Carlton at the moment is like watching a team who knows they are beaten before the ball is bounced and like everyone else on here I am hoping something sparks them into action, to play football like they once did when they enjoyed it. MM's job at the moment is to find that spark.

I fall into this category .......

11150758_10153361986328203_5684574372235401893_n.jpg

I am NOT going to stop renewing my M/ship and attending games because someone on a footy forum tells me to.

Each to their own!

They can rely on you Aph.

Yes, not disputing Ratts got screwed by injuries, but i dispute the insinuation that Mick 'white-anted' Ratten for the job, I believe strongly that club was always going to replace Ratten, even if Malthouse wasn't available (if not Mick, then probably Bomber Thompson would have taken over)

Not denying that hiring Malthouse was a big mistake by the club (as was sacking Ratten) but I don't think it is fair for Malthouse to take the fall for Ratts sacking, a few petty board members, heavily influenced by GAMBLOR (aka The Pokies King) .

I should point out that I am led to believe that Sticks was very much against sacking his good mate Ratts, but I suspect he was just a figurehead chairman of the club, who likely wielded little power in the boardroom.

Kernahan is a club legend unfairly tainted by the Ratten sacking IMO.

Definitely not Mick's fault Ratts got sacked. That lies well and truly at the feet of Greg Swann, an incompetent board and finally an extremely naive president. It was a split board and unfortunately Kernahan had the deciding vote.

Definitely not Mick's fault Ratts got sacked. That lies well and truly at the feet of Greg Swann, an incompetent board and finally an extremely naive president. It was a split board and unfortunately Kernahan had the deciding vote.
It would be fair to say that Mick's availability certainly persuaded the board to sack Ratts as they thought someone better was available.

Yep, I agree with you about Greg Swann 150 % .. Wasn't he the one who engineered the pick 11 for Brock McLean trade ? Absolute goose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What pisses me off is CARLTON and mick lost by 70 odd points last weekend and everyone is calling for his head. Roos lost to a team that lost to GWS too and by a much more superior margin but no one says anything. Media goes with a huge grain of salt and id imagine a lot more is going on behind the scenes than we all know.

I'm going to pay more attention to the likes of Judd and docherty who have confronted media and have said there working hard and it will come eventually. You don't sign for 4 years without and understanding that were working on things for the future. Ditto Gibbs 5 years and Murphy 4 years.

We are just a paper selling team good or bad. I only wish our players didn't believe all the hype or bad media.

After listening to the press conference today, I would say the situation is now untenable. He, in basic code, just threw daggers at the executive and the board. I'm not going to get on either side but * me the place is a mess and this would have a huge detrimental effect on the playing group.

We desperately need unity, the players need to know the club is is united when they run out. Right now they are watching their mum and dad verbally abuse each other before the inevitable bitter divorce.

Make no mistake we are in a massive pile of s**t.

Yes shows the whole thing was about MMs ego. He wanted to do a Howard & Costello and back out of a pre arranged deal to step down, but didnt get the backing of Buckley and Eddie.

Its also concerning that Bucks felt he needed to clear the decks of anyone who was stained by Malthouse and in his camp.. Will our senior players who like MM revolt against the new coach like they seemed to at Collingwood.
There won't be a revolt because he hasn't had the time to build his own entire list. The Collingwood players were fiercely loyal to Mick and I guess the club came second hence the revolt. Won't be an issue at Carlton if he goes.

No matter who is coach of Carlton, no matter what we did at the end of 2012, whether we kept Ratten or got Roos or any other coach this was always where we were going to end up. This, where we are now, has been coming since 2009 and only accelerated by our own incompetence.

Sacking the coach would only be a publicity stunt to attract a handful of members and appease the masses. I can't see it achieving a lot. Gladly we have SOS as list manager so it may not be as destructive is it could have been had we sacked the coach and brought in a dud.

Carlton's achilles heal has been it's inability to identify fault and making the wrong moves. I think we will find and SOS probably has already found that the coach has very little to do with our poor performances, it strictly comes down to the list.

The coach may have some bearing on the loss of some talented veterans such as Waite, Betts, Garlett, Robinson and Mclean. Some may say that they were sacrifices that had to be made. Free agency has crippled us, we would have never lost Betts and Waite and lost them for nothing prior to free agency. It's not our fault only one club half wanted Garlett and Robinson and we lost them for nothing. Mclean was an unlucky victim of our rebuild. It's fair to say, that all of these players bar Mclean could still be at Carlton if they wanted to. We have enough overpaid players. It's part of what's crippling us. Sometimes rebuild means not just getting rid of those who can't play but also getting rid of lesser quality people who will restrict you.

Malthouse doesn't want these soft flashy types who lack consistency and don't do team things. We don't want types who want over inflated salaries (anymore). Unfortunately that meant a few of our better performers had to go.

I don't get the surprise at our lack of performance. I really don't get why the blame is on the coach. No one could coach this team to wins, it's just not possible.

I've reviewed this club in depth and found causes for our position on the bottom. None point to the current coach. Only perhaps the loss of those older veteran players mentioned earlier and really in the grand scheme of things they hold no bearing on where we will be at in the future, their salaries and demands will only get in the way of our rebuild.

We've gotta let the coach finish the clean out, hit rock bottom and build a team with the type of player he likes. If Docherty and Cripps are the type of players he likes then bring it on.

Malthouse had the best footy team in the business behind him at Collingwood. We've given him dregs. We're rebuilding off field still. It wouldn't make sense to sack the coach right when we might finally have the recruiting right and give it a chance.

We should have learnt where we went wrong with Pagan. Forcing coaches to win with a crap list only leads to disaster. Not accepting that you spend time down the bottom during rebuilds. Showing patience, like Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood etc etc all did with their coaches before us when they were losing, they all got through tough rebuilds and were rewarded.

We need to learn from our mistakes and make sure we make our changes sensibly.

There is absolutely 0 chance that anyone could coach this current team and make it win. We need to accept that, suck it up and get on with our rebuild.

No matter who is coach of Carlton, no matter what we did at the end of 2012, whether we kept Ratten or got Roos or any other coach this was always where we were going to end up. This, where we are now, has been coming since 2009 and only accelerated by our own incompetence.

Sacking the coach would only be a publicity stunt to attract a handful of members and appease the masses. I can't see it achieving a lot. Gladly we have SOS as list manager so it may not be as destructive is it could have been had we sacked the coach and brought in a dud.

Carlton's achilles heal has been it's inability to identify fault and making the wrong moves. I think we will find and SOS probably has already found that the coach has very little to do with our poor performances, it strictly comes down to the list.

The coach may have some bearing on the loss of some talented veterans such as Waite, Betts, Garlett, Robinson and Mclean. Some may say that they were sacrifices that had to be made. Free agency has crippled us, we would have never lost Betts and Waite and lost them for nothing prior to free agency. It's not our fault only one club half wanted Garlett and Robinson and we lost them for nothing. Mclean was an unlucky victim of our rebuild. It's fair to say, that all of these players bar Mclean could still be at Carlton if they wanted to. We have enough overpaid players. It's part of what's crippling us. Sometimes rebuild means not just getting rid of those who can't play but also getting rid of lesser quality people who will restrict you.

Malthouse doesn't want these soft flashy types who lack consistency and don't do team things. We don't want types who want over inflated salaries (anymore). Unfortunately that meant a few of our better performers had to go.

I don't get the surprise at our lack of performance. I really don't get why the blame is on the coach. No one could coach this team to wins, it's just not possible.

I've reviewed this club in depth and found causes for our position on the bottom. None point to the current coach. Only perhaps the loss of those older veteran players mentioned earlier and really in the grand scheme of things they hold no bearing on where we will be at in the future, their salaries and demands will only get in the way of our rebuild.

We've gotta let the coach finish the clean out, hit rock bottom and build a team with the type of player he likes. If Docherty and Cripps are the type of players he likes then bring it on.

Malthouse had the best footy team in the business behind him at Collingwood. We've given him dregs. We're rebuilding off field still. It wouldn't make sense to sack the coach right when we might finally have the recruiting right and give it a chance.

We should have learnt where we went wrong with Pagan. Forcing coaches to win with a crap list only leads to disaster. Not accepting that you spend time down the bottom during rebuilds. Showing patience, like Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood etc etc all did with their coaches before us when they were losing, they all got through tough rebuilds and were rewarded.

We need to learn from our mistakes and make sure we make our changes sensibly.

There is absolutely 0 chance that anyone could coach this current team and make it win. We need to accept that, suck it up and get on with our rebuild.

Yep. The football world has been banging on about our delusions re this list for years, but we chose to ignore them. It's finally come home to roost and many want to take the coach, board and powerbrokers down because of it. Maybe we need to listen more and live more outside the navy bubble.

I have refused for so long to even view this thread let alone Post in it but i just can't help myself anymore:

Mick Malthouse is the man for the job, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind, for a number of reasons:
One, the players do like him even though our current performances may not show it. I think all this outside negative talk about the club and the list has completely wrecked the players' confidence to the point where we're too afraid to take even a little risk on the field. How can we blame Mick Malthouse for this ? Answer: You just can't.
When Mick has said that we're "rejuvinating" the list he is referring to fixing the age demographic of our list with talented kids and some established players in the 18-23 yo bracket. In describing the matter in this way he is actually being the people's person that he is talked up to be. In other words he acknowledges that the list is not up to scratch but he's not destroying the confidence of the team the whole club and dare I say it the 'supporters' in putting it this way and not a list rebuild. ( Every club is theoretically in a list rebuild when you think about it guys)
Secondly he knows how to absorb and handle pressure and really unite a playing group. He's been there and done it before. He understands people and and knows how to get the best out of them as well.

I know this for a fact too that Scott Watters was sacked because he was very poor with people but understood the game so well and the same thing with Brenton Sanderson. If you can't manage people you're just not gonna make it.
I'm confident in saying that John Worsfold does not have the same people skills and people connection as Mick Malthouse so how can we think that he would be the answer ? Its just ridiculous.

The players do like Mick, there's no doubt about it (because he's a good people's person and the players see this) and so i think that the CLUB should acknowledge that and grow some balls and sign him up for another 2 years.

I'm lead to believe that Trigg and Lojudice want him to stay but others on the board want him gone. Membership make take a hit in the short-term if we do reappoint him but in the long-run it will improve becuase he can and will take us to the promised land. Our beloved club is at an important and precarious position yet again. If we do resign him then I think we will have learned from past mistakes(short term fixes) and have grown up a bit and will have begun to become a very professional organisation.

So, Please Blues let MM take us into the future, you won't regeret the decision: HE IS THE MAN.
Agree

What a load of silly, revisionist nonsense.

Do you honestly think Buckley wanted MM still at the club looking over his shoulder for the next 2-3 years ?

The Roos-Longmire succession plan was a big success, mainly because Roos departed on his own terms.

Mick was Effectively sacked, so I can't blame him for not wanting to stick around.

And Mick wasn't responsible for Ratten getting the arse, even if MM wasn't available, Ratts was a dead man walking, he had lost the players quite clearly at the halfway point of his final season, he was always going to be fired by a trigger happy board.

Mick will stay on till the end of the season, and I am for one, couldn't be happier that our board isn't going to have its football dept decisions dictated to by an angry, impatient section of our fanbase. It would be the sign of weak leadership if we sacked Mick before the end of the season, the fans/members shouldn't be allowed to decide the fate of coaches (that goes for all clubs, in all sports IMO)
That is so much bullshit. Ratts still had 1 year left on his contract when he was given the bullet. He had a bad performance against GC17 which is when Mathieson, who had already primed the pump by tapping up Malthouse earlier on in the season, started agitating for Ratts removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back